Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Zoom climbs are the coolest poo poo, taking planes up to altitudes that they have no business being at. On the bright side, at those kinds of altitudes (>25km) you can start to see the curvature of the Earth, which is fuckin' awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Started aviation school this week. Studying avionics maintenance engineering. Tips?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Luneshot posted:

Zoom climbs are the coolest poo poo, taking planes up to altitudes that they have no business being at. On the bright side, at those kinds of altitudes (>25km) you can start to see the curvature of the Earth, which is fuckin' awesome.

Yup, it's pretty cool, as well as a little creepy, in DCS when the sky goes dark in daytime and the stars come out, and you see 500 knots true but 100 indicated and then pretty much lose your flight controls as you slow further.

Protip for building up the highest possible TAS (not talking about time to climb anymore), you'll get it at closer to 40,000 rather than higher.

e: Oh look somebody made this

vessbot fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 19, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Never stop these effortposts because they own, all yall. :pcgaming:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You're a beautiful person. Effortpost 4 Lyfe.

Especially obscure Nazi warplanes and starlets. I have a terrible feeling both will end up featuring in the same story.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I worry about how many effortposts it will take to bury the drone chat next time it comes up; it seems to be getting stronger.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

cephalopods posted:

I worry about how many effortposts it will take to bury the drone chat next time it comes up; it seems to be getting stronger.

Get to work, friend.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
I'm really jonesing for another MrChips effortpost of cold warbird development. Just give me one more hit

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vessbot posted:

Rutowski climb profile

Whoa, that is seriously cool stuff. I have heard the term "climb profile" before, I didn't think it meant much more than "balls to the wall, face space".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

krampster2 posted:

Started aviation school this week. Studying avionics maintenance engineering. Tips?

What school? There's a lot of focus on bench work which you may either love or hate, but it will give you a good foundation for troubleshooting in the field if you've got a good prof.

Also, unrelated, how do you do a link to a specific post again? Grab the post number from quote, then make it url with thread ID= something something? It's a new year and I should probably put those last two efforts posts in the OP because they were both excellent and there's only so much neglect I can dole out before I feel like I should feed it something.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Linedance posted:

What school? There's a lot of focus on bench work which you may either love or hate, but it will give you a good foundation for troubleshooting in the field if you've got a good prof.

Also, unrelated, how do you do a link to a specific post again? Grab the post number from quote, then make it url with thread ID= something something? It's a new year and I should probably put those last two efforts posts in the OP because they were both excellent and there's only so much neglect I can dole out before I feel like I should feed it something.

Aviation Australia. The course is a pretty good mix of theory and practical. It's poo poo at the moment though because we're just doing senior level math for the first three weeks, then physics for another three. It's full time, 7:30 to 2:15 every weekday. Man I am not used to getting up at 5:45 at all.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Linedance posted:

There's a useful # button for generating that kind of link on the bottom left side of your post.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Koesj posted:

There's a useful # button for generating that kind of link on the bottom left side of your post.

drat there's an even more helpful one under the ... in awful app. Never stop learning, kids!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Honestly the pay is so high that if you make it in this job, you won't leave it even if you do burn out.

Yup, and most people have absolutely no training or education that would let them make even half of what they make here. Then they work for about 2 hours out of the day total while bitching about how "welfare queens" are stealing their tax money :ironicat:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

How high is high, roughly? Pay not drone altitude.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

Depends on facility size and locality pay. I'm at a level 11(2nd highest), have only been done training for a bit over a year and my base pay is $115k. Throw holidays, sunday pay, night differential, etc... on that and you add roughly 10%.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

fknlo posted:

Depends on facility size and locality pay. I'm at a level 11(2nd highest), have only been done training for a bit over a year and my base pay is $115k. Throw holidays, sunday pay, night differential, etc... on that and you add roughly 10%.

That sound is a bunch of goons decidng to change careers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

EightBit posted:

That sound is a bunch of goons decidng to change careers.

Also, today is a "holiday" so I'm making like $2 a minute to play around on SA on my breaks. If I didn't work today I'd still get holiday pay on one of my other work days. It's nuts.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

fknlo posted:

Also, today is a "holiday" so I'm making like $2 a minute to play around on SA on my breaks. If I didn't work today I'd still get holiday pay on one of my other work days. It's nuts.

Plus I'm at 10 hours a pay period total leave on top of my level 12 salary.

And you ALWAYS work holidays. Only chumps take the free leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

krampster2 posted:

Check ground. Its always a bad ground.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

simplefish posted:

It depends on the complexity level of the facility you work at and the area's cost of living adjustment. Then there are differential bonuses for night, sunday, and overtime pay that boost that amount.

There's a table with exact numbers from 2012 in the post I linked.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Ferret King posted:

It depends on the complexity level of the facility you work at and the area's cost of living adjustment. Then there are differential bonuses for night, sunday, and overtime pay that boost that amount.

There's a table with exact numbers from 2012 in the post I linked.

Old people like me aren't allowed though.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
http://7online.com/479757/

JetBlue locks 'em up to avoid an airplane taxiing across the active at JFK that shouldn't have been.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

fknlo posted:

You're ATC, right? Goddamn age limit.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I am 100% sure people would die if i changed career to atc, so im gonna stick with my current career as "unlicensed commerical drone pilot" and keep making $texas money. Peace.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Locator posted:

Old people like me aren't allowed though.

Correct. You need to be hired by your 31st birthday. More specifically, you need to have received a tentative job offer letter by your 31st birthday.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Is ATC like an 80s Wall Street office? By that I mean I knew someone who used to hang out with ATC staff in Australia, she said half of them would go on mad parties all night to de-stress, not sleep, and come back to work fuelled with cocaine or prescirption meds (which they may or may not have had a prescription for).

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

The Ferret King posted:

I certainly hope challenges and changes are made.

I don't know, I want that to be hashed out. But being operated outside of line-of-sight is a big sticking point for me. This is what makes me more comfortable with RC airplane operations over drone operations. Drone operators have no way to see and avoid other aircraft if the drone operates well outside their line of sight.

I don't know, I imagine that can be worked out. If they're above a certain weight and capability, then they should be regulated for use in controlled airspace.

If you're not a holder of an FAA license then I'm not sure what, if anything, the FAA can do to you. The local authorities already handle these situations but they are not familiar with the national airspace system.
Operating anything outside of line-of-sight is already banned by the FAA so problem solved? Also when flying FPV with a spotter they can clear airspace visually of any manned aircraft as long as they keep in communication with the drone pilot and an idea of where the drone is. Meanwhile at the local AMA sanctioned RC field in my hometown, people fly gliders above 1000ft regularly using just their little eyeballs....and they are located about 4 miles north directly on the approach of a GA airport.

Totally agree with the point about weight and capabilities, but it's a hobby and people build their own. Also unlike the manned aircraft world, in one year drone technology will be so far ahead of where it is now that the same weight class could be 10x more capable. Either way the FAA is moving too drat slow now to learn these lessons in order to actually make reasonable drone rules. There are only a handful of UAS exemptions and they're so limited in scope that nothing new is being learned. Every month our country falls behind right now, will be worth a decade lost in the future.

What are you talking about? Recently the FAA has brought a $10,000 fine against a foreign national for flying a foam RC plane around a university for "careless and reckless endangerment to the NAS" or somesuch language.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 19, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

NO A&P worth anything would ever reweigh an airplane unless every assurance had been made that it would stay relatively the same.

I used to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm sure you're just an idiot. Here's hoping you don't kill anyone else in the inevitable smoking hole in the ground that is in your future.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

The Ferret King posted:

Correct. You need to be hired by your 31st birthday. More specifically, you need to have received a tentative job offer letter by your 31st birthday.

The rule stated on the website says you have to be enrolled in the FAA Academy by your 31st...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Boomerjinks posted:

The rule stated on the website says you have to be enrolled in the FAA Academy by your 31st...

Historically, receipt of a tentative offer letter has "frozen" people's age. At least it was that way a couple years ago.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrYenko posted:

I used to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm sure you're just an idiot. Here's hoping you don't kill anyone else in the inevitable smoking hole in the ground that is in your future.

What do you disagree with in that quote exactly?

I of course only speak about GA, nothing about airlines or anything of that matter.

Nobody reweighs an airplane for exactly the fear of losing 300lbs of useful load overnight.

Much more common to see the addition and subtraction of weights for avionics. Helps keep the indigestion down.

Edit: here's an FAA link saying GA Planes never need to be weighed periodically and they accumulate poundage over the years.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/amt_handbook/media/FAA-8083-30_Ch04.pdf

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Vitamin J posted:

What are you talking about? Recently the FAA has brought a $10,000 fine against a foreign national for flying a foam RC plane around a university for "careless and reckless endangerment to the NAS" or somesuch language.

It wasn't enforceable.

Vitamin J posted:

Operating anything outside of line-of-sight is already banned by the FAA so problem solved? Also when flying FPV with a spotter they can clear airspace visually of any manned aircraft as long as they keep in communication with the drone pilot and an idea of where the drone is. Meanwhile at the local AMA sanctioned RC field in my hometown, people fly gliders above 1000ft regularly using just their little eyeballs....and they are located about 4 miles north directly on the approach of a GA airport.

People who aren't licensed by the FAA don't have a compelling reason to follow FAA bans or guidelines. Yes, when flying FPV with a spotter they can do all of those things. I want them to be REQUIRED to do those things and be held accountable.

I've already expressed my opinion on manned aircraft "see-and-avoid" methods, and I don't think they're the same thing as FPV drone flight. Glider pilots also hold FAA licenses.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 19, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Maybe we can find out the time to climb record for a CRJ200.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't hold your breath :) I'm hurt that you want me to die in an airplane accident though.

I'll never do airlines, I doubt I'll even fly jets outside of my own desire to pay for a couple hours to fly a citation with a friend of mine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

You're ATC, right? Goddamn age limit.

Yup. I was cutting it close. Turned 30 a little over a month after I got hired.

simplefish posted:

Is ATC like an 80s Wall Street office? By that I mean I knew someone who used to hang out with ATC staff in Australia, she said half of them would go on mad parties all night to de-stress, not sleep, and come back to work fuelled with cocaine or prescirption meds (which they may or may not have had a prescription for).

I've heard stories. I guarantee you it's still like this at some facilities. Mine, not so much.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

The Ferret King posted:

It wasn't enforceable.
That has not been decided yet. The original decision was that it wasn't, but then it was appealed to the NTSB board where they said that the FAA can bring fines against model aircraft operators, and now it is going back to the original court to decided if the actions actually were careless and reckless or not.

quote:

People who aren't licensed by the FAA don't have a compelling reason to follow FAA bans or guidelines. Yes, when flying FPV with a spotter they can do all of those things. I want them to be REQUIRED to do those things and be held accountable.

I've already expressed my opinion on manned aircraft "see-and-avoid" methods, and I don't think they're the same thing as FPV drone flight. Glider pilots also hold FAA licenses.
Violating some FAA regulations can be considered a federal criminal matter. Plus they can be fined by the FAA as discussed above.

What's your opinion on drone flights and the necessity of see and avoid when the drone is flying below treetop or rooftop level in a residential or urban area at least 5 miles from an airport?

The glider pilots I was talking about were RC glider pilots if that wasn't clear.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

quote:

What's your opinion on drone flights and the necessity of see and avoid when the drone is flying below treetop or rooftop level in a residential or urban area at least 5 miles from an airport?

I don't think that would have an impact on general/commercial aviation at all.

quote:

The glider pilots I was talking about were RC glider pilots if that wasn't clear.

I completely misinterpreted that, sorry.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

Let's four one oh it, dude! :master:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Ferret King posted:

This is hosed, I'm six months to 32 and I'm sharper than ever. loving ancestors and their stupid 90+ year lifespans :argh: