Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
KB+M is definitely better than controller for RE6, you'll cherish the improved accuracy and the QTEs are much more reasonable in terms of what buttons they expect you to press compared to RE5's F+V nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neo Rasa posted:

Huge wad of cash? They should be happy to take Bison dollars after the tragedy of Resident Evil 6! :D

It wasn't that bad. Unless you fell into the group of people who were unable to do the rope QTE. Then I guess the game was abysmal.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There are always those fan projects that aim to remake RE2 where you can either use over-the-shoulder aiming or tank controls with fixed camera angles, but as interesting as they look they're also janky as hell and destined to be hit with a C&D.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Len posted:

It wasn't that bad. Unless you fell into the group of people who were unable to do the rope QTE. Then I guess the game was abysmal.

I remember Chris's final boss where the game was like, "Here, just try to run in a straight line. You can't." being the most infuriating thing ever. It was OK up until that point, but holy poo poo that was the epitome of anti-fun.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Azubah posted:

Capcom has shown multiple times that not only do they not give a poo poo about what their customers want, they also have no loving clue about what projects they should work on.

What Capcom has shown is that they intend to do their own thing regardless of the constant, braying whine from their customers, which is as it should be. Most of the Capcom franchises at this point have at least two strident, equally loud camps, if not more, and Resident Evil is particularly fractious. You've got the people who defend a specific character to the death, the classic fans, the post-RE4 fans, the yaoi fangirls who will threaten apocalypse unless Wesker and/or Piers are brought back, the fans of the Milla Jovovich movies, and a few more besides, and in most of those cases, the people who populate these various demographics have the business acumen of a dead cat.

For example, the sum total of your argument here is "they are not doing precisely what I would prefer that they do," which is not particularly compelling. As a rule, assume that a video game company has actual data backing up its decisions, as opposed to your fan-level gut instinct that, say, an RE2 remake would be the best thing since cake pops.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If only they'd kept a hold of the assets from RE 2/3. You could update them fairly easily with some high poly models and some lighting effects.

The bar is super low, Capcom, is what I'm saying.

The bar is actually very high. One of the reasons why the Resident Evil 3 level in Umbrella Chronicles is almost entirely made with Outbreak assets is because the low-res backgrounds from RE2/RE3 cannot be conveniently transferred to 3D, since most of them are basically a matte painting laid over simple geometry. In order to achieve an "REmake"-quality revision of RE2 or RE3, you'd need to rebuild both games almost from scratch, particularly if you wanted to put them on current-gen consoles, and you'd probably have to update the gameplay considerably in order to attract newer players and give older ones a few surprises. For the amount of work it would take, you might as well make a brand-new game.

There's also no particular reason to remake RE2, since it still stands up reasonably well and is fondly remembered 17 years later for most of the reasons they want it to be remembered for, as opposed to the original Resident Evil, which was aging badly even a year after it came out and mostly became famous because of how bad its voice acting is.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Huge wad of cash? They should be happy to take Bison dollars after the tragedy of Resident Evil 6! :D

Good job admitting you have no friends because RE6 was mostly fun.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want a game where I can just hang out with Claire and Jill without monsters around. Get to know them better, and romance them. Maybe a dating sim?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Resident Evil: Beach Volleyball.

T-Alexia skin is optional. American flag bikini for Barry is not.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wanderer posted:

What Capcom has shown is that they intend to do their own thing regardless of the constant, braying whine from their customers, which is as it should be.

But it's not, because "their own thing" isn't something anyone wants, and the sales show that. RE6 bombed, and the company is in a position where they wouldn't even be able to make Street Fighter 5, a sequel to a hugely popular game, without Sony footing part of the bill due to how bad they are financially. If Capcom doing "their own thing" was something new, exciting, and good then sure. But what they've been pumping out almost exclusively for years, company wide but with RE specifically, has been hot loving garbage that no one wants. No one is buying the poo poo that Capcom is selling, and rest assured it is in fact poo poo.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

But it's not, because "their own thing" isn't something anyone wants, and the sales show that. RE6 bombed, and the company is in a position where they wouldn't even be able to make Street Fighter 5, a sequel to a hugely popular game, without Sony footing part of the bill due to how bad they are financially. If Capcom doing "their own thing" was something new, exciting, and good then sure. But what they've been pumping out almost exclusively for years, company wide but with RE specifically, has been hot loving garbage that no one wants. No one is buying the poo poo that Capcom is selling, and rest assured it is in fact poo poo.

None of that is actually true.

Resident Evil 6 sold 4.8 million copies in its initial print run, and since then, has moved another 1.1 million copies, joining several titles in their back catalog that have done consistently well in digital sales.

Their biggest problem is that they aren't as profitable as they'd like to be, but they're still a profitable company. That last link's pretty interesting, as they remained profitable in a period of time where they did not actually release anything new to speak of, and then Monster Hunter 4G took over Japan for a while. Monster Hunter 4 is, IIRC, the sixth best-selling game the company has ever released. Along the same lines, Dead Rising 3 made a profit, Revelations did pretty well (1.2 million) on both PC and consoles, RE:ORC is up to 2.4 million copies sold, and Street Fighter IV has sold 8 million copies if you add together the total from all of its various versions. The only real bombs in their catalog in recent years are Remember Me and Lost Planet 3.

This is a good example of how gamers get caught up in their own personal media bubble. A lot of people hated Resident Evil 6, and its poor media reception seems to have kicked off an ensuing period of time in which any rumor, no matter how ridiculous it sounded or how easy it was to debunk, was taken as proof of Capcom's instant karma, and every idiot who thinks he knows how the video game business works (hint: you probably don't) piled on the bandwagon. Capcom's reputation may be in the toilet among serious games enthusiasts and they've been suffering from a major talent drain over the course of the last ten years, but the silent majority that actually wields most of the purchasing power in the market still trusts the brand. This board and others like it, your NeoGAF or wherever else the video-game grognards hang out these days, are not representative of the larger video game market.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

RE6 was good and fun.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

RE6 was good and fun.

It could have used more unlockable super-weapons though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Capcom has a number of tremendously successful brands which do really well. They're not doing as well as they like but Street Fighter and Resident Evil are two of the absolute strongest Japanese gaming brands out there. Probably the strongest not owned by Nintendo. (Final Fantasy is the other strong contender but has less reliable releases.) A lot of their smaller brands are still strong IPs which they can pretty reliable exploit. It's really easy to get caught up in the hype, especially with high-profile missteps, but people are absolutely buying the things Capcom puts out.

There is a lot of fan anger towards Capcom. Some is justified and some is the result of people making mountains out of molehills. However their IPs are still incredibly strong and widely recognized even among people who are only very casual gamers.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Vakal posted:

It could have used more unlockable super-weapons though.

And let you use the alternate costumes during the campaigns, but at least Mercs was good fun.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

RE6 was good and fun.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I enjoyed all the little extra modes and the play as the infected was fun since it was easy to kill a lot of players.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

There is a lot of fan anger towards Capcom. Some is justified and some is the result of people making mountains out of molehills.

I'd argue that most of it's the latter. One of the things I thought was truly ridiculous about the RE6 backlash was how, for some reason, it was the road-to-Damascus moment for half the fanbase, where they suddenly realized that Capcom's staff were businessmen providing a product, and would say as much in an accusatory tone, as if they'd been deliberately misled up until now. It's not like Capcom led everyone to believe it was an organization of Buddhist programmer ascetics.

Sure, they screw up. Everyone does, from time to time, and if you're in a nerd industry you will never be allowed to forget that. If you take ten seconds to think about most of the most common criticisms, however, you learn to recognize why they're doing what they're doing. There will never be another 2002-era "classic" Resident Evil, because that model of gameplay was a relic of the mid-'90s that they rode about as far as it'd go, and they're riding the DLC/digital pony as hard as everyone else because game production is expensive and the used-games market is a parasite.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just played Leon's campaign in 6 for an hour and I think one problem with the game is that unless you're aware of all the different moves attacks and counters at your disposal the game feels very basic and rough. I felt like I played the game wrong and Googled for some tips, and the hidden depth of the game's controls is really something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I'd argue that most of it's the latter. One of the things I thought was truly ridiculous about the RE6 backlash was how, for some reason, it was the road-to-Damascus moment for half the fanbase, where they suddenly realized that Capcom's staff were businessmen providing a product, and would say as much in an accusatory tone, as if they'd been deliberately misled up until now. It's not like Capcom led everyone to believe it was an organization of Buddhist programmer ascetics.

Sure, they screw up. Everyone does, from time to time, and if you're in a nerd industry you will never be allowed to forget that. If you take ten seconds to think about most of the most common criticisms, however, you learn to recognize why they're doing what they're doing. There will never be another 2002-era "classic" Resident Evil, because that model of gameplay was a relic of the mid-'90s that they rode about as far as it'd go, and they're riding the DLC/digital pony as hard as everyone else because game production is expensive and the used-games market is a parasite.

Oh, it absolutely is. People still hold extreme anger at Capcom over a kinda-dumb statement from a random European PR guy during the whole MML3 fiasco and hold it up as proof that Capcom hates fun and apple pie. It feels like any little thing gets stretched out beyond all reason.

There's also a lot of misplaced anger. Keiji Inafune has slipped comfortably into his role as the Patron Saint Of Neglected Developers, riding on a wave of Mega Man-inspired backlash, but a lot of the major things that Capcom did to tick fans off actually was instigated by him. The DmC fiasco for example was spearheaded by Inafune's attempts to bring more Western developers in and Ninja Theory has talked about the role he had in development. Lost Planet 3 was another one spearheaded by Inafune and he specifically selected Spark Unlimited to do it. (and in fact later would reuse them for Ninja Gaiden Z, stating that he believed the management of a company was more important than the individual developers!)

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm not happy myself with the direction Capcom went with several franchises, but I don't think they're particularly much worse than any other company on the market when it comes to that.

Renoistic posted:

I just played Leon's campaign in 6 for an hour and I think one problem with the game is that unless you're aware of all the different moves attacks and counters at your disposal the game feels very basic and rough. I felt like I played the game wrong and Googled for some tips, and the hidden depth of the game's controls is really something.

Yeah, RE4, RE5 and especially RE6 are pretty bad about explaining their core mechanics. They basically are brawlers-with-guns but the brawler element is just not emphasized enough, especially in the latter two where the mechanics really encourage punching guys and if you try to play it as a shooter you're gonna regret it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ImpAtom posted:

There's also a lot of misplaced anger. Keiji Inafune has slipped comfortably into his role as the Patron Saint Of Neglected Developers, riding on a wave of Mega Man-inspired backlash, but a lot of the major things that Capcom did to tick fans off actually was instigated by him. The DmC fiasco for example was spearheaded by Inafune's attempts to bring more Western developers in and Ninja Theory has talked about the role he had in development. Lost Planet 3 was another one spearheaded by Inafune and he specifically selected Spark Unlimited to do it. (and in fact later would reuse them for Ninja Gaiden Z, stating that he believed the management of a company was more important than the individual developers!)

Do you have some articles I could read about these events? Trying to dredge up articles talking about Keiji Inafune in a negative light is surprisingly difficult.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geight posted:

Do you have some articles I could read about these events? Trying to dredge up articles talking about Keiji Inafune in a negative light is surprisingly difficult.

Not any particular one article. The DmC stuff is from various interviews both prior and afterwards. Inafune was the one hyping up DmC as having a "western touch" even before we knew it was a reboot. (http://gematsu.com/2010/09/inafune-devil-may-cry-5-to-have-a-western-touch) and it'd take me time to find the various interviews but Ninja Theory talked pretty openly about how Inafune sat in on the meetings and gave approval, even encouraging them to deviate more from a 'traditional' Dante design.

The specific thing I mentioned with Spark Unlimited is http://www.destructoid.com/i-met-keiji-inafune-we-discussed-yaiba-ninja-gaiden-z--256473.phtml which is not really something I can say is a negative (or even neutral) portrayal.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I certainly know that upon watching the LP for RE6 I knew that I made a wise decision to not buy it for full price, sort of like RE ORC as well.

However that doesn't mean that all recent RE games are bad, I bought RE4 a second time because it put it on the PC in a pretty good port, Revelations was great fun and while Raid mode is not Mercenaries, it is still fun and I am looking forward to Rev2, despite Alyson Court not voicing Claire.

Everytime I see people poo poo sling over RE6 I am reminded of all the poo poo slinging that went around when RE5 came out, everyone thought it was poo poo compared to RE4. It had a poo poo story, it had poo poo characters (I guess everyone just didn't pay attention to "Complete. Global. Saturation") the gameplay sucked compared to 4. I mean, I think we can all agree that the only "bad" RE game to come out recently was ORC and even that can be tolerable with friends (although that depends too as the LP demonstrated)

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
RE6 doubled down on pretty much all the negative factors of RE5 in my opinion. The biggest one being forced co-op. Forced co-op really kills the suspense and atmosphere of RE for me. I say spin off co-op into its own sub series. RE for me is about exploring a lonely, creepy location on your own for the most part.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The co-op in RE6 at least makes your partner invincible and you can abuse them for it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The thing that would make me happiest moving forward is splitting the series into (a) traditional survival horror game with loads of atmosphere, mix between the old games and 4, and (b) action based third person shooter game with a focus on faster enemies, big boss battles, crazy set pieces.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
RE remastered is unlocked if you pre-ordered it.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
lmao is the PC HD Remake capped at 1200p? It looks like a postage stamp on my 1440p monitor. Why?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Diggin the new controls.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Diggin the new controls.

Seems like it makes things a lot easier, doesn't it? The increased maneuverability alone really lessens the difficulty.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kind of, I don't mind it though.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man, this game is so different from the original RE, I don't know where to go or what to do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always liked how some bits of REmake were deliberately designed to gently caress with people who played the original, like the window in the dog corridor cracking the first time you go through but nothing happens until the second time you pass that way.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, REmake is pretty much the goddamn gold standard of remakes. It's incredible.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I always liked how some bits of REmake were deliberately designed to gently caress with people who played the original, like the window in the dog corridor cracking the first time you go through but nothing happens until the second time you pass that way.

That's not even the worst (best) part. You can pass that corridor as often as you want, nothing will ever happen...until one day you decide to enter the hallway from the other side.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sakurazuka posted:

And trying to go out the front door actually spawns a dog you have to fight, instead of just being a cutscene.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Scalding Coffee posted:

The co-op in RE6 at least makes your partner invincible and you can abuse them for it.

Unless they get splattered by a truck.

I didn't hate RE6, but no matter what I did it felt clunky, like half the stuff it was doing it wasn't supposed to be doing and it never quite gelled for me. I did like the demo for Revelations though, some day I'll get the whole thing. I liked how that one felt.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RE 6 is game that is ruined by some annoying sections in the campaigns that really needed some balancing tweaks and the game not explaining anything whatsoever so people try to play it like RE 4 or 5 and then get frustrated when the old tricks aren't working. It's a shame because the core gameplay mechanics of 6 are really really fun and you can do some amazing things with it, especially in Mercenaries mode.

But given the negative reception of the game I don't think they'll ever go back and refine those mechanics and will probably just stick to the Revelations style of gameplay which to be honest, I found limiting and clunky and not in a good way either.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Wow, I'm much worse at RE1 than I remember being. All these new areas are messing with my head too, can't remember what's new and what I've forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVZGI6Ls91Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x19vLDMeI

Some new Revelations 2 enemies. Boy, does that invisible fly look fun to fight!!!!!