Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't necessarily think that's his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

What was this Irish Joe nonsense even prompted by? Did you have a stroke, Joe?

Sorry, I was reading the Agent Carter thread and had my mind boggled by the people praising Gokai even though he's had like three lines so far.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Times are tough everywhere

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

IRQ posted:

What was this Irish Joe nonsense even prompted by? Did you have a stroke, Joe?

Irish Joe gotta Irish Joe. If no one is going to tee him up, he has to freestyle.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Internet wasn't as big during X-Files either so you didn't have jagoffs trying to "call it" for every mystery.

X-Files is often cited as the first Internet followed show. It wasn't, of course, since the first was obviously Star Trek, but the following online was huge. There's even a season three episode about a killer stalking people on the Internet to steal their fat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really enjoyed The Man in the High Castle pilot. Not a fan of how Amazon does a bunch of pilots first. I rather they just commit to a show from the start like Netflix so we have more to watch. The tone of the show feels the same as The Americans. Even the music is identical. I'm all for more spy shows like this.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

I really enjoyed The Man in the High Castle pilot. Not a fan of how Amazon does a bunch of pilots first. I rather they just commit to a show from the start like Netflix so we have more to watch.

But Amazon is giving people something extra by letting them watch the pilots (also getting public feedback). The alternative is never to air the pilots at all or hold them back for about a year.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
you mean we gotta wait a whole year before we see more Nazi New York?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

I really enjoyed The Man in the High Castle pilot. Not a fan of how Amazon does a bunch of pilots first. I rather they just commit to a show from the start like Netflix so we have more to watch. The tone of the show feels the same as The Americans. Even the music is identical. I'm all for more spy shows like this.

That's the way every network does it. Only with Amazon you actually get to be in on the decision making.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus given Amazon's track record here this might be all you get to see of the interesting ones.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
*adopts TV Tropes voice* Actually, every show premiere named "Pilot" is Hanging a Lampshade on the practice that Episode Titles Aren't On Screen. Here are five examples of how My Little Pony did this in its various incarnations:

Aphrodite posted:

Plus given Amazon's track record here this might be all you get to see of the interesting ones.

For the love of god please don't tell me you're including The After in this because that show was garbage and is the main reason why I'm the opposite of excited for Chris Carter's apparent desire to do more X-Files.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Haven't watched any, have you?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't say they don't choose the good ones.

They mostly choose the ones that sound like they could pop up on CBS next fall. I don't watch most of them because Canada, so it might just be that the other more unique ones suck but there's nothing about the ones they do choose that make me want to subscribe (if I could.)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just think of how smug you can be when people ask you what you watch on television and you can be like "oh, you know, Arrow, The Flash and... Mozart in the Jungle :smug:"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That show was mostly real good but I'm still majorly disappointed that it decided to go in such a silly direction. Rodrigo's insane performance artist parody wife was one of the worst TV characters of last year.

Anyway I'm actually watching The New Yorker Presents right now and I dig it. Hope they make more.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I liked Mad Dogs quite a bit as well. The only thing that holds back The Man In The High Castle is that I feel like it could go off the rails at any point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, Person of Interest is insanely good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching old episodes of Bones on TNT and I realized I somehow missed a plot point. After the whole arc of Zach and the Gormagon they did the whole thing where Zach was in a mental institution but still helping out but in later seasons they don't mention it or him at all.

Did they actually write a conclusion to that or did they just kind of drop it between seasons?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

pentyne posted:

So, Person of Interest is insanely good.

It is and it gets better each season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching old episodes of Bones on TNT and I realized I somehow missed a plot point. After the whole arc of Zach and the Gormagon they did the whole thing where Zach was in a mental institution but still helping out but in later seasons they don't mention it or him at all.

Did they actually write a conclusion to that or did they just kind of drop it between seasons?

It was dropped and he has never been mentioned again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

It was dropped and he has never been mentioned again.

Seems kind of an ignoble end to that character.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Irish Joe's personal hero will be in Fargos 2nd season:

http://www.avclub.com/article/fargos-second-season-will-feature-ronald-reagan-214024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently MTV is airing a Catfish marathon in black and white right now to honor Martin Luther King Jr., seriously: http://www.avclub.com/article/mtv-realizes-martin-luther-kings-dream-black-and-w-214053

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
If you've turned on MTV today, you may notice something's different.

E: Beaten.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irish Joe is Uncle Ruckus?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Irish Joe is Uncle Ruckus?

No relation.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I know you're joking, but I am unironically excited about this. Reagan was in his prime during the late 70s and I'd encourage anyone interested in American history and conservative thought to listen to his radio broadcasts from that period (search Reagan in His Own Voice: Ronald Reagan's Radio Addresses, available free from audible).

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Irish Joe posted:

I know you're joking, but I am unironically excited about this. Reagan was in his prime during the late 70s and I'd encourage anyone interested in American history and conservative thought to listen to his radio broadcasts from that period (search Reagan in His Own Voice: Ronald Reagan's Radio Addresses, available free from audible).

Does he have any where he talks about how awesome it would be for the mentally ill to freeze to death on the streets or how rad it is for air traffic controllers to kill themselves from stress? Really anything about how billions of dollars is better spent on weapons that will never be used than to feed poor children would be great, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All presidents are bad. Your government is terrible and it's mostly your fault.

You can substitute president for whatever your dumb country has if you live somewhere else.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We have a Jesuit far right racist sexist halfwit. Who wears speedos.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

snodig posted:

Has anyone here seen The Fall? I just finished the second season and I'm curious what you thought of it.

I thought it was one of the best things I've seen recently. Brilliantly acted, brilliantly written series. And sadly unique in how firmly planted it was in the reality of procedure.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Aphrodite posted:

All presidents are bad. Your government is terrible and it's mostly your fault.

You can substitute president for whatever your dumb country has if you live somewhere else.

Whoa I didn't realize I was in the South Park thread haha

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to Goons I started watching Hannibal and I'm in the middle of Season 2 right now. I gotta say, the soundtrack is...all over the map. And not necessarily in a bad way. Sometimes I'm like "what the gently caress is the soundtrack doing right now?" And I realize it's supposed to sound crazy when it starts to go further and further off the rails, and other times it's just a perfect compliment to what's happening on screen...love the bits of Hannibal cooking up body parts to the sound of the classics that we get every few episodes. I also love that one track with the two repetitive timpani notes at a nice soft volume that seem to play whenever Hannibal is loving with Will's head. I always appreciate a subtle use of timpani, one that isn't just 'DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN'

The atmosphere is the real star in this show. If you're on the fence and not afraid of some really hosed up blood and guts every once in a while (or maybe more like 6-7 times per episode), check this show out.

E: these crazy pitch shifting roto-tom/log drum sounds are great too

timp fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 20, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm down for Salem Rogers.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Jesus Christ why did I take so long to watch Fargo. Guys how is this show so good. Seriously. Only 3 episodes in and I'm just floored by everything about it.

If nothing else, it feels like the anti-Breaking Bad so far because its main villain guy is such an irredeemable prick that you can't support at all and yet he's just so goddamn charismatic.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 20, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you talking about Martin Freeman or Billy Bob? I didn't think either of them were all that charismatic.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Malvo is super charismatic and you cant help but route for him in his game no one else knows they're playing

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'd say Billy Bob was charismatic, yeah.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you talking about Martin Freeman or Billy Bob? I didn't think either of them were all that charismatic.

Yeah, I think Malvo is... I dunno, maybe magnetic is the right word? It's not like I *like* him, but I *appreciate* him. I'm finding it hard to describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Malvo is like the best interpretation of the biblical devil, he's just this force of evil that twists people so casually and easily.

• Locked thread