Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
gently caress that, it's a B230F. :colbert:

It's like a little sneezing sewing machine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay this SHO-ME horn weighs 11 pounds.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DJ Commie posted:

I'm wondering if I could make a Subaru engine sound like one, I imagine a lot of the sound comes from the weird firing order. Some creative exhaust work might get it close.

One of the reasons I hate the way subies sound is because it reminds me of an acvw that needs a severe tuneup.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

One of the reasons I hate the way subies sound is because it reminds me of an acvw that needs a severe tuneup.

If it helps, mine sounds like an ACVW with a hole in the case.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it helps, mine sounds like an ACVW with a hole in the case.

We have one of those! We chip pieces of the case off for new years to toss in the bonfire :) Magnesium puts on a good show as long as it's only a few ounces at a time.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Jesus that's a but puckering video! loving drunk drivers. I think you need a more pissed off sounding horn for special occasions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Huggable Bear King posted:

Jesus that's a but puckering video! loving drunk drivers. I think you need a more pissed off sounding horn for special occasions.

I bought one of these.

http://goo.gl/b6QfQm

E: with a siren, too.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 15, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What's that peeking out on the right, there? Is it a reclaimed ambulance horn? Yes it is, yes it is. :getin:

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

What's that peeking out on the right, there? Is it a reclaimed ambulance horn? Yes it is, yes it is. :getin:

So wait, are you going to have two separate horns?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Absolutely. A normal horn, and an OH poo poo horn, activated by the "FIRE MISSILES" button (though a relay, of course).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Did you steal this off your work truck?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, I purchased the horn and siren from ebay. But I recognize it as a model that we have on some of our older trucks. It's one of these, painted orange. My long picture five or six posts above has this horn in the middle.

I have an old Federal Signal siren unit kicking around that I'll probably use, but I don't like its horn sound - it sounds like a really, really loud car horn. If I can get my hands on a Whelen siren for less than $100 or so (they currently go for between 60-300 used), I may jump on it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tomorrow, I take the beetle to Lake Havasu, 3.5 hours, 200 miles away for a job interview. Today, I changed the oil and bought new wiper blades, as well as checked the tire pressure. I have a large wrench, assorted tools, and two spare fan belts with me. Anything specific I should take?

I mean, 3 hours is nothing for a normal car, but this will be my first minor road trip with the beetle. Even though I drive it 30 minutes each way almost daily to work on the freeway (or 45 minutes on surface streets on hot days), the stakes are a little higher here.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Tomorrow, I take the beetle to Lake Havasu, 3.5 hours, 200 miles away for a job interview. Today, I changed the oil and bought new wiper blades, as well as checked the tire pressure. I have a large wrench, assorted tools, and two spare fan belts with me. Anything specific I should take?

I mean, 3 hours is nothing for a normal car, but this will be my first minor road trip with the beetle. Even though I drive it 30 minutes each way almost daily to work on the freeway (or 45 minutes on surface streets on hot days), the stakes are a little higher here.

I drove my beetle 15 hours mostly nonstop in August, 3 hours is easy for a bug :colbert:

I usually carry a spare throttle & clutch cable, dizzy ignition bits, and a set of plugs/wires. Might be a tad overboard, but, I've had one of each break on the road before.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No spare clutch cable, but throttle cable I can do.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
First button in

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
This makes me miss my 71 Super.

The picture of the radio with the cutout for the windshield wipers made me remember the few incidents my buddy had with his 68 almost catching on fire regularly due to the aftermarket radio and the whole lets run a non-fused direct battery fed wire to the headlight switch that the factory went with.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Keeping this out of the archives, this happened today:

Broke the rear window, opened the driver's door, and rifled through stuff. Ignored the motorcycle tire on the passenger seat :v:

Followed swiftly by this:

Which will be followed by these:

and, because my steering has gotten a little loosey-goosey, but the tie rods are good and the tires stay aligned, this:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That loving sucks. Tweakers, man.

Also I had to spend like 4-5x that amount to go all-U-joint in my C10's steering column, and it was worth every loving cent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That blows rear end but at least they didn't gently caress up the bodywork as well. The douchebags who smashed my (UNLOCKED, you assholes) 96 XJ's driver window out managed to put a giant dent in the drip rail over the door as well as across the edges of both the driver and rear driver doors between the windows.

Then they stole... nothing. Literally nothing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I can't decide is NEW GERMAN SEALS is a good or bad thing

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A literal german seal?

German seals of quality?

Or seals with a german [shepherd]

Funny, when you google "german seals," the auction for the windows shows up on the first page.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

That blows rear end but at least they didn't gently caress up the bodywork as well. The douchebags who smashed my (UNLOCKED, you assholes) 96 XJ's driver window out managed to put a giant dent in the drip rail over the door as well as across the edges of both the driver and rear driver doors between the windows.

Then they stole... nothing. Literally nothing.

I had a car broken into years ago. Cash in plain sight, left untouched (about $30). They took the stereo faceplate off and stomped it into the driveway (guess they couldn't get the whole thing out?), pried open the trunk (.. there's an interior release handle), popped the hood, tossed most of the CDs in my 128 CD binder around the yard (keeping a few good CDs), took a nice AEM intake, and cut a good chunk of the engine harness. Also left a ~$300 skateboard behind, along with the 6 CD changer (hey this was in 2000 okay).

It was a week or two after I bought the intake, and a lot of people I talked to had their cars broken into shortly after buying expensive parts from the same shop. :tinfoil:

I'm more amazed the car managed to start and run after that. Very poorly, but it did run, despite a large chunk of the harness being slashed. I had only lived there for a few months, and it was a house where I rarely talked to neighbors, and a pretty quiet suburban neighborhood. 2+2=shady shop?

The worst part is I was having title issues with it (I'd only owned it 2 months, but the husband of the owner signed the title, title office didn't like that, and I was having a hard time getting ahold of them), so it wound up being a big hassle with insurance to get it fixed. I did eventually get the title poo poo worked out without a bond, at least.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The one time some cocksucker broke into my car, they tried to be all stealthy and jammed a screwdriver into the window and "popped" the glass, thus leaving me with a hosed up pillar that had to go to the body shop to repair. At least they only broke the window. People suck.
Also, what is a 300 dollar skateboard?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People used to take skateboarding very seriously. I had a friend who was sponsored by Vans for a few years back in the 90's, he got to meet and hang out with Tony Hawk. Used to brag about his "$200 trucks and $75 wheels. SEVENTY-FIVE EACH."

Hmmm, it appears that in retrospect he may have been a huge oval office.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

People used to take skateboarding very seriously. I had a friend who was sponsored by Vans for a few years back in the 90's, he got to meet and hang out with Tony Hawk. Used to brag about his "$200 trucks and $75 wheels. SEVENTY-FIVE EACH."

Hmmm, it appears that in retrospect he may have been a huge oval office.

What the hell were the trucks made of, unobtainium? But then I stuck to Gullwings and Ventures back in the 80s. Christ I'm old.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

veedubfreak posted:

Also, what is a 300 dollar skateboard?

It was either a 7 or 9 layer Spitfire deck (back when Spitfire made decks), Independent trucks, and I forget the stupid amount I spent on wheels and bearings. I still have the wallet that I bought the same day (Spitfire chain wallet, go go 90s!), just haven't used it in ages. The deck alone was well north of $100.

I'd love to get a longboard today; my fatass doesn't have enough balance/coordination for a regular board these days.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya I was a skater in the late 80s early 90s myself. I think the most I ever paid for a deck was maybe 50 bucks. Being a poor kid you learn to start finding deals on parts that you know you're gonna break regularly :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Where'd it go?

There it is!

So, totally thought the loose steering was the steering U-joint, as I had adjusted the steering box about a year ago. Old U-joint was perfectly fine, but I installed the new one anyway because why not. I wonder how long I can keep adjusting the steering box. I still haven't adjusted it yet so I don't know if it will even fix the problem.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
We interrupt this irregularly-scheduled faffing about for a brief interruption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X4QL2Pl6Bk

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bike sounds drat good :D

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks. The sound is literally the only thing an Enfield has going for it, and I'm glad others think it's cool.

As I was cleaning up the back patio area after working on the Enfield, UPS showed up with a wood-framed cardboard box. Inside were the popout windows. "How hard can it be?" I thought to myself, foolishly.

It's now 2021 and I just finished installing them. I got the driver's side one installed okay, but the passenger side's mechanism broke (E-clip snapped in half during installation) so I had to rush (on the Enfield in a onsie/speed suit/jumper, helmet, and gloves with a backpack) to Harbor Freight to pick up one of those E-clip assortment packs. None were an exact fit, but I was able to squeeze a 3/16" one a little to make it work.

I don't have any pictures, but it's so nice to have two not-broke rear windows in the beetle again. And I'm certain the popout feature will be nice in the summer, as currently it sucks sweaty dog balls, even with the swamp cooler.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Geirskogul posted:

so I had to rush (on the Enfield in a onsie/speed suit/jumper, helmet, and gloves with a backpack) to Harbor Freight to pick up one of those E-clip assortment packs. None were an exact fit, but I was able to squeeze a 3/16" one a little to make it work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who rides a incredibly reliable vintage motorcycle to pick up parts for their terrible broken cars.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Thanks. The sound is literally the only thing an Enfield has going for it, and I'm glad others think it's cool.

As I was cleaning up the back patio area after working on the Enfield, UPS showed up with a wood-framed cardboard box. Inside were the popout windows. "How hard can it be?" I thought to myself, foolishly.

It's now 2021 and I just finished installing them. I got the driver's side one installed okay, but the passenger side's mechanism broke (E-clip snapped in half during installation) so I had to rush (on the Enfield in a onsie/speed suit/jumper, helmet, and gloves with a backpack) to Harbor Freight to pick up one of those E-clip assortment packs. None were an exact fit, but I was able to squeeze a 3/16" one a little to make it work.

I don't have any pictures, but it's so nice to have two not-broke rear windows in the beetle again. And I'm certain the popout feature will be nice in the summer, as currently it sucks sweaty dog balls, even with the swamp cooler.

Popouts will always be brilliant. Stops the poor souls in the back from frying in the summer.

They do make actual modern A/C for supers though, albeit for a bit of a steep price. I've been tempted to get the same setup for my bus: http://gilmore-enterprises.net/index.php/product/view/19/21

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Have you got both horns wired up yet with the unscheduled window replacement? I have the same setup on my truck with a switch that trips a double throw relay to select the one you want.

I've only used my second horn once and it made the very slow grandad who was infront of me pull over immediately :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah. Standard horn to the wheel button, air horn to the "fire missiles" dash button.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
440aircon.jpg

Why yes, that's more than 50 feet of split loom in the trunk. Keep forgetting about it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Did you buy repro popouts or what? Surprised to hear they broke so easy. Also, this is the reason I told myself I would never own another bug without a giant hole in the top.

You can buy aftermarket sliding rags for the bug. I had one in my 68. You just cut a big hole and drop it in :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're old original stuff, allegedly, pulled and cleaned by this guy that sells them on eBay. He installs newish seals. It was just the e-clip that snapped on install. I can't expect all old clips to be infinitely reusable, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Update to keep out of archives:

I have gotten tired of blowing fuses, lovely wiring, etc. I have decided to rectify this using something I have drooled over for awhile now:

Points if you know what it is. More points if you know any specifics about this plan that may not be feasable. I already run the headlights on a relay, and this includes an alarm, so I think I'm making a common-sense upgrade.

Or I may be retarded. You be the judge.

• Locked thread