Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bliss Authority posted:

Esteemed Chairman -

I'm doing the best I can with what I've got, but cross-referencing this data on the planet's ecology is incredibly frustrating between two bases, soon to be three, without anything like a proper internet. Hell, without anything like a proper INTRAnet. I have no complaints about the hardware you salvaged; these are top-notch hunks of striated silicon. It's the software that's lacking, particularly the data transmission and packet switching protocols.

We'd be able to get research done much, much faster the sooner we get a proper internet online. Get some Network Nodes up as soon as we're able. I'll dedicate myself fully to the problems of the network architecture if you promise to get every settlement we've got internet-ready once I'm done. And don't worry about infosec - you KNOW why I'm the best girl for the job of making our network secure from any hacker tricks, if 'Lady' Deirdre Skye or anyone else from this hot mess of an extrasolar expedition decides they'd like to steal our secrets.

Sincerely,

Asa Wright, Founder of Lovelace Software Solutions, a fully owned subsidiary of Morgan Industries.

PS: Cue up Lovelace Software for a Homestead Act base and I promise you software so smart that it can figure out what the hell can cause these 'psionic' attacks.

CEO Morgan,

Addendum:

Applied Maritime Solutions Ltd fully supports this proposal. We have a few small skiffs and ketches that we've been using to conduct basic oceanic research off the coast of Morgan Industries, but Network Nodes would be a boon towards research and hopefully the development of proper facilities and designs for true oceanic research. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that by the time the technology to realistically exploit the resources of the sea floor was developed on Earth, there was no longer the political will to develop the necessary infrastructure to go with it. We should not be so narrow-minded on Chiron, and while our estimates predict that proper shipyards and other facilities necessary to support nautical ambitions will be more expensive than comparable technology for land-based purposes, the immense mineral and energy resources of Chiron's seas should more than pay for the startup costs, as will the inevitable military opportunities provided by establishment of a navy.

In the meantime, we're still working on determining what marine life is safe to eat. The species we've taken to calling the sporefish is very promising (mainly trying to figure out which fungal symbiont produces the hemotoxin at the moment), but fungal reefs make for slow and dangerous fishing. We haven't nicknamed one of the local species the razor shark for its wit.

Respectfully,

Dr. Maria Valdez,
Applied Maritime Solutions Ltd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Datalinks forum: Organic Superlube

Whichever one of you asshats thought it'd be funny to imply this stuff was for 'recreational' use needs to gently caress off and die to a brain worm. This crap is all over the barracks for the fourth time in the past six months. The security detail are already janitors to whatever hosed up stuff our research staff cook up, and now they're literal janitors with extra slippery mops.

-Carson

((I know superlube is nowhere near researched yet. Just a fun ribbing))

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I love this thread so much. :allears:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
The Tellus Cooperative's bid to settle the new territory is competitive and their submitted development plan is solid. I support it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
CEO Morgan:

As representative of Morgan Logistics, Supply and Security would like to remind you that with the attack on the Rat Patrol and the near presence of "Lady" Skye, we should look into expanding our security forces by 100-200% in order to rotate damaged units and poor-performers into recuperative positions, as well as to augment our ability to secure future locations and all associated rights to those locations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

berryjon posted:

CEO Morgan:

As representative of Morgan Logistics, Supply and Security would like to remind you that with the attack on the Rat Patrol and the near presence of "Lady" Skye, we should look into expanding our security forces by 100-200% in order to rotate damaged units and poor-performers into recuperative positions, as well as to augment our ability to secure future locations and all associated rights to those locations.

Finally someone who speaks sense. A man/woman after my own heart.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Drakenel posted:

Datalinks forum: Organic Superlube

Whichever one of you asshats thought it'd be funny to imply this stuff was for 'recreational' use needs to gently caress off and die to a brain worm. This crap is all over the barracks for the fourth time in the past six months. The security detail are already janitors to whatever hosed up stuff our research staff cook up, and now they're literal janitors with extra slippery mops.

-Carson

((I know superlube is nowhere near researched yet. Just a fun ribbing))

For her pleasure?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
CEO Morgan:

Training and requisition in the Monolith zones shows a marked improvement in unit performance. To minimize personnel losses I recommend designating the closer monolith as a military training ground and that all new security forces be sent there before commencing field duty.

Furthermore I concur that all further new ventures be required to have at least a minimal security regiment to prevent tragedy. I shudder to think what would have happened if unarmed civilians had encountered those creatures

-- Loss Prevention

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

For her pleasure?

The rotating gears and machinery do not identify as a particular gender. When we get sentient machines I'll ask one if it was.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 20, 2015

brb on fire
May 12, 2013

Added Space posted:

CEO Morgan:

Training and requisition in the Monolith zones shows a marked improvement in unit performance. To minimize personnel losses I recommend designating the closer monolith as a military training ground and that all new security forces be sent there before commencing field duty.

Furthermore I concur that all further new ventures be required to have at least a minimal security regiment to prevent tragedy. I shudder to think what would have happened if unarmed civilians had encountered those creatures

-- Loss Prevention

Allow it to be known that I second this sentiment. Until we know what form the 'psychic' (I use quotes for our Chief Xenobiologist's sake) attacks take, the best we can do is reinforce our soldiers' wills against the threat as well as we are able. In fact, I would propose when the coast is clear doing the same for our synthmetal equipped guard forces.

-- Dr. Joseph Gartner, overheard during discussion with colleagues

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

brb on fire posted:

Allow it to be known that I second this sentiment. Until we know what form the 'psychic' (I use quotes for our Chief Xenobiologist's sake) attacks take, the best we can do is reinforce our soldiers' wills against the threat as well as we are able. In fact, I would propose when the coast is clear doing the same for our synthmetal equipped guard forces.

Just so it's sure to be put in practice, I'll echo this. The only reason rat patrol returned because a few of them had their poo poo together enough to actually shoot the drat things. The reason there were so many casualties was troops flipping out. I doubt this 'psionic' reasoning is it, but as thick as the atmosphere is, it's possible some hallucinogens or illusions are being perpetrated. Perhaps it got through the filters or the seals aren't secure enough for the environment. I'll double check our equipment now and require rigorous checks on all outgoing assets. With your permission, CEO, I'll go ahead and move our training grounds to the monolith site. Although maybe Mr Gartner would like to study it a bit more before we put any security forces through it, Any long term effects are preferrable to being paralyzed or terrorized by these worms and eaten.

-Ezekiel Carson

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

brb on fire posted:

Research notes, Dr. Maria Valdez

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

I doubt this is the sort of situation the good doctor ever anticipated, but one that comforts me during debates with the rest of the fledgling scientific community over the psionic phenomena observed with mind worms and the xenofungus itself. The old fantasy of psychic powers, simply speaking, is the ability to induce changes in the environment without visible action. In this case, what seems most likely to me is that this is extrasensory perception in a more mundane sense of the word: local flora and fauna possess biological senses that we do not. One possibility, for example, is that the process of the mind worms' respiration throws off chemicals or biological spores that alter human brain chemistry, producing hallucinations, paralysis, and the other effects of "psychic" attack. I would not be surprised to learn that the xenofungus developed this as a defense mechanism against local herbivores, or as some sort of chemical signal to symbiotic organisms such as the mind worms.

When dealing with hysteria over these phenomena, which are only inexplicable to those in possession of too much wild imagination unburdened by a capacity for rational thought, I find it helpful to remember Arthur C. Clarke's axiom: any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. As is sufficiently advanced biology indistinguishable from psychic powers, apparently.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I can't believe some of the crackpot hypothesis people are throwing around trying to explain these so-called 'psionic' assaults that Rat Patrol reported and recorded, while I understand a certain amount of fear and shock is to be expected any respectable biologist should be able to work out what is happening quite easily though simple review of the video taken by Rat Patrol as they engaged these 'mindworms' observe:

[Video Link]

Note how the members of Rat Patrol only start to go mad once the worms have come quite close; there is a notable period of several seconds where the men and women are upset by the sudden appearance of these monstrosities but do not display any significant fear until the worms come within what one might charitably call spitting distance, at which point the effects of the mental assault become immediately apparent. Note also that the members of Rat Patrol who kept their heads and were able to kill the worms themselves did so from a short distance and never approached the creatures. I put to you that there is nothing supernatural about these worms and instead remind all readers that we are physical beings; we do not inhabit our bodies we are our bodies and anything that affects our bodies also affects our mind.

I expect that upon further examination of the worm carcasses we will locate at least one and possibly multiple unique organs unlike anything we have seen on earth, I further propose that experimentation will reveal that these organs are capable of extending electromagnetic fields that can entangle and overpower other electromagnetic fields nearby. These so called 'psionics' are in fact electromagnetic interference with our nervous system; I believe the worms are literally interfering with the electrical impulses in our brain, the physical carriers for mind and thought if you will, and I expect further testing will confirm this belief.

Further testing and research is necessary but I assure you all that there is nothing supernatural here, indeed if I am as correct as I believe then this is potentially a very positive discovery; the ability to overpower and influence the electromagnetic fields of other living beings would be a most powerful weapon for any predator; perhaps even the most powerful weapon. These worms are probably the reason why no larger life-forms seem to exist upon Chiron as anything big enough to be eaten by the worms almost certainly will be; no naturally evolved creature lacking extensive tool usage would be able to compete against such a weapon.

BUT! The fact that such a weapon works on humans means that the nervous systems of the native lifeforms are not dissimilar to our own. Clearly Chiron's life uses a similar system of electromagnetic nerve impulses to create a mind from a body and that means that in theory at least it should be possible for us to build engines that will allow humans to counteract the effect and maybe even replicate it for our own use.

Furthermore I propose that we call this ability to influence the electromagnetic fields of other living beings 'Psionics' anyway because the term fits the results, it will be good to eliminate the supernatural from the fact and constantly typing or saying 'quantum electromagnetic field manipulation' will get old very fast. Psionics is a much simpler term and using it will allow us to 'explain' how Psionics, like the stage magic practiced by the talented deceivers called magicians, is not some kind of supernatural force but rather is the application of perfectly natural forces in an unconventional manner.

I have long hypothesized that it should be possible to do this; after all by every indication modern science can give us the electricity running through our bodies is analogous to a 'soul' and interference with those impulses has immediate and noticeable impacts on the mind and body of the person in question. I never would have expected a species to naturally evolve this capability, but then again Evolution has had literally billions of years to work on this problem so I may perhaps have underestimated its capabilities. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a creature naturally evolved capabilities that at first seem impossible.

Post on the Interdepartmental Sciences forum in the "What the gently caress is going on with these worms?" thread by Dr. M.N. Gott

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 20, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

To: All Staff

Yes, I have read the posts left by "Dr. Gott" and no, there will be no collaboration nor consultation with this person, assuming he or she is even real. In the first place, "Dr. Gott" asserts his points using circumstantial evidence from a single video and evidently doesn't have access to the AAR's which clearly state that even the survivors were affected by irrational fear and hallucinations to some degree. In the second place, he asserts that electromagnetic interference can somehow affect brain chemistry and equates the electrical byproduct of said chemistry to a "soul."

Do any of you who believe in such things honestly think your soul might get wiped out by an EMP? Do any of you experience panic and hallucinations during an X-ray or CT scan? Do any of you honestly believe that the magnets Troy swears by are helping his arthritis? I thought not. Now please stop inundating my office with baseless speculations and do your jobs for once.

Chief Kimberley

Morgan,

I'd like to propose that we equip every group that goes out into the field with spectrometers set to scan all of the higher frequencies--everything ultraviolet and above. I've come up with a pet theory about the mind worms, but I'll need some hard evidence before I can confirm anything.

Chief Hal Kimberley, Ph.D., Morgan Xenobiology Department

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Haha, well played Bobbin :golfclap:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Morgan,

I'd like to propose that we equip every group that goes out into the field with spectrometers set to scan all of the higher frequencies--everything ultraviolet and above. I've come up with a pet theory about the mind worms, but I'll need some hard evidence before I can confirm anything.

Chief Hal Kimberley, Ph.D., Morgan Xenobiology Department[/i]

Chief Kimberly

Do you want to add this to the general kit of Morgan Logistics, Supply and Security's requested additional units to supplement the Rat Catchers, or do you propose that we issue these devices to just the Rat Catchers, and have them deal with the next 'Mind Worm' infestation with the other groups in reserve? While I understand the economics of scale, there is not yet enough scale to make mass production at this point economically feasible.

MLSS Rep. Reilly

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You know what really scares us at AMS? What if there are bigger critters than mind worms with these abilities. What if they can swim or fly or burrow.

Just saying.

Post on the Interdepartmental Sciences forum in the "What the gently caress is going on with these worms?" thread by Dr. M. L. Valdez

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

You know what really scares us at AMS? What if there are bigger critters than mind worms with these abilities. What if they can swim or fly or burrow.

Just saying.

Post on the Interdepartmental Sciences forum in the "What the gently caress is going on with these worms?" thread by Dr. M. L. Valdez

While common logic would suggest that there shouldn't be any larger creatures as the worms are already the perfect predator for Chiron's environment, common logic would also dictate that the worms cannot possibly have the abilities they have already clearly demonstrated possessing. As such while I want to brush off these fears as flights of fancy I must instead consider that Dr. Valdez may in fact be completely correct.

I suggest we start paying very close attention to the lands around our settlements, the last thing we need is some giant flying dragon with similar abilities to come out of nowhere and start wrecking things. If one species can evolve this capability, regardless of how the ability does in fact function Chief Kimberley, then there is absolutely no reason why other species could not do so as well, or why the worm species could not have multiple different subspecies that have specialized to take advantage of each ecological niche.

Given all that, I think AMS is probably entirely correct to be at least a little frightened right now. I'd suggest testing putting faraday cages around people to see if that inhibits the worms ability to project fear and terror but I cannot come up with a safe way to test said cages so I cannot put forward the idea in good conscience. Still, something to keep in mind for the future if we ever manage to capture and contain these things.

Until then I suggest we engage the worms at distance where possible, perhaps it would be worth looking into fully autonomous robotics or perhaps remote controlled drones, I doubt the worms ability to influence electromagnetic fields or brain chemistry extends to hardened electronics.

Post on the Interdepartmental Sciences forum in the "What the gently caress is going on with these worms?" thread by Dr. M.N. Gott

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Morgan,

Honestly, were this any other situation, I'd ask you to stop weighing our troops down with crap we don't need for poo poo that you can go find out yourself... But at this point, for all of our guessing and theories we ARE dealing with a rather large unknown here, in both opposition and terrain. I'd be happy for anything that'll help more of our boys and girls come back in the future. And the kit is bulky enough already, Ideally, this scanning equipment would work better on scouting units like the Rat Catchers, with kill teams at the ready to engage. Enough for maybe one or two squads. Assuming we haven't burned through everything just getting drat roofs over our heads... You think you can requisition enough for at least two squads, Reilly? Three'd be nice, but I'll take what I can get.

-Lt. Ezekiel Carson, Head of Corporate Security.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Harvey Davidson, personal log posted:

Off the farm teams, finally. The whole reason I became a programmer in the first place was so I wouldn't have to deal with actual physical things, but needs must when the devil drives. The guys that are sticking with it seem better at it anyway. I guess I was half-right about the fertilizer thing, I just hadn't thought it through to realize that the soil would be pre-fertilized in the first place. Back to what I'm actually good at - informatics. Lovelace Software picked me up and I'm part of Project Baseline, or, more informally, Catch Up To The Twenty-First Century Again, Jesus Christ.

We traded the best computer units to Zakharov for the microfacs, so our informatics infrastructure is a mess. It was probably the best move overall, but that means right now we can make ROM control chips more readily than we can actually produce general-purpose RAM! We've still got the real computers we brought with us, but we can't replicate them yet. Oh well, build the tools to build the tools, I guess. And ROM hacking isn't so bad, especially since we've already got some basic assemblers set up on the machines. Without better processor support we're still pretty much in FORTRAN land, and until we can keep our programs in RAM we're about a hundred years behind in operating systems tech. We've still enough for microcontrollers, though, and we have a hundred years extra practice with that. We're gonna be a mirror-universe 1980s, it'll be great - working robots, but no PCs.

And of course being a worldwide UN project meant none of the stuff was manufactured to the same specification, so we can't get a reasonable internet running. Oh well; islands of automation are annoying once you're a full-scale industrial power, but I'll be grateful for the automation even while annoyed at the islands.

Harvey Davidson, personal log posted:

Holy poo poo.

I spend a couple days holed up designing a prototype Lisp interpreter and come out and we've discovered two kinds of alien life - one that built huge machinery, and one that freaks us out and tries to eat our brains. I can't even.

I hope they aren't connected.

I also hope we don't rely too much on these things' autofacs. We need to know why the stuff we do works; we can't just hope for presents from vanished Precursors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

I suggest we start paying very close attention to the lands around our settlements, the last thing we need is some giant flying dragon with similar abilities to come out of nowhere and start wrecking things. If one species can evolve this capability, regardless of how the ability does in fact function Chief Kimberley, then there is absolutely no reason why other species could not do so as well, or why the worm species could not have multiple different subspecies that have specialized to take advantage of each ecological niche.

Also pay attention to the seas. Our boats aren't venturing more than a half a mile from Morgan Industries right now, but the aquafungus seems to be very similar to land-based xenofungus so it seems entirely possible that there is marine life with similar capabilities. No signs of it in any of the specimens we've caught so far, but we haven't even scratched the surface of the marine ecosphere yet. Here there be dragons.

In unrelated news, the applied xenology department thinks they've figured out how to prepare sporefish for safe human consumption. Morgan hasn't asked for it yet, but assuming the volunteers survive dinner tonight I think we'll be able to start supplementing our food supplies with freshly caught fish. Texture and flavor is a lot like Earth trout, I'm told, once you neutralize the hemotoxin the fungal symbionts release. An effective deterrent to some predators, I'd imagine. Brain tissue seems to be distributed at nerve bundles throughout the creature rather than a central brain. An evolutionary defense mechanism against the predatory reproductive habits of something analogous to mind worms?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh man. Third mission out and suddenly Mind Worms.

Personal Log, Chief Surveyor R Tiberious posted:

I ain't got much time to put this log together, so I'll make it quick.

Looks like Morgan listened to sense. Rat Patrol has been ordered to check out the equipment cache to the southeast. Should be fairly easy, the only thing I'm concerned about is encounters with the local wildlife. We've been armed with some of the machine guns Morgan managed to sneak away from Santiago's bunch, and we've even had a little time to train with some of our Security boys, but most of Rat Patrol barely knows which end you point at the enemy before you pull the trigger.

At least it's unlikely that we'll have to worry about fighting things that shoot back. It's a pretty big world here, so it may be a long, long time before we actually come across any other human life. There's a small mercy.

Personal Log, Chief Surveyor R Tiberious posted:

Well that was just damned weird.

Turns out what we thought was a cargo pod was actually a structure native to Chiron. It's... well poo poo, let's call it like it is. It's a frigging alien factory. The eggheads are calling it "The Monolith", which I'm sure they feel clever about. Like none of the rest of us have ever seen the drat movie before.

With the exception of the steady signal we were getting from it (which was still claiming that it was a cargo pod), the place was dark and quiet. It wasn't until we got within a quarter mile of the place that things started to feel... funny. Deja Vu. We'd all felt like we had been there before. The closer we got, the stronger the feeling. And it started to respond to us too; lights were beginning to turn on at our approach, ancient machinery humming to life. I don't think I'll ever forget the look on Mark's face as he watched his hands fly across controls panels, seemingly at their own accord.

It sounds like there's a full foundry in there, rolling out sheets of metals and it sounds like we should be able to siphon power from the thing. It's not quite what we were looking for, but it may turn out to be better, in the long run.

It does make me wonder; if there was an advanced alien civilization on this planet, where the gently caress did they go?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 20, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Personal Audio Log, S. Vimes. posted:

Well, poo poo. When I signed up for military operations on Chiron, the worst I was expecting was conflicts over resources with the other Cryopods over resources. I definitely wasn't expecting to hear about psychic worms. Unfortunately, the contract I signed dictates that I do not have the right to object to what I am assigned to do, so it looks like I'm stuck being assigned as a replacement in Rat Patrol. Here's hoping that I don't blow my brains out when we go up against more of those... things.

Also, the next person to ask me what Ankh-Morpork is like is going to get punched. I swear, having the same name as the character in some archaic literature is frustrating, and I think my parents had a really weird sense of humour.

Vimes out.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
There are many great things about this thread, but the collective :wtf: about mind worms is the best so far. They are some of the creepiest and coolest creatures in sci-fi.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

berryjon posted:

Chief Kimberly

Do you want to add this to the general kit of Morgan Logistics, Supply and Security's requested additional units to supplement the Rat Catchers, or do you propose that we issue these devices to just the Rat Catchers, and have them deal with the next 'Mind Worm' infestation with the other groups in reserve? While I understand the economics of scale, there is not yet enough scale to make mass production at this point economically feasible.

MLSS Rep. Reilly

Reilly,

All I know is that there is data I require and conditions are currently too dangerous for me to spare anyone to gather it personally. Well, I could name a few would-be hippies I wouldn't miss, but I understand they're too busy buying up colony shares or however the hell that works.

If you need to bother someone with details, bother Mr. Morgan; he's the one who operated PMC's back on Earth.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess that's the equivalent of a Civ ruin spamming Barbarians at you? ...they must get nasty later.

I don't know if it's what you're going for, but I really like how much like a person Morgan feels, and how this becomes the story of one man's ideology coming up against the probably-harsh reality of the world it has to deal with.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Reilly,

All I know is that there is data I require and conditions are currently too dangerous for me to spare anyone to gather it personally. Well, I could name a few would-be hippies I wouldn't miss, but I understand they're too busy buying up colony shares or however the hell that works.

If you need to bother someone with details, bother Mr. Morgan; he's the one who operated PMC's back on Earth.

Chief Kimberly

I have been in contact with Lt. Carson, head of Mr. Morgan's security. And given our working relationship, if I have a concern that he happens to share, you need to be able to justify the monies and energy spent on the number of devices you want to build.

No one is arguing that these things need construction, we're just trying to figure out how many.

As a token of cooperation though, I would not mind if a list of certain.... people whose personal contracts were due up soon happened into my recruitment people's network address. People who may have the technical expertise to properly operate your devices.
Morgan Logistics, Supply and Security has an excellent contract buy-out program.

MLSS Rep. Reilly

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

So I guess that's the equivalent of a Civ ruin spamming Barbarians at you? ...they must get nasty later.

In a word, yes. Mind worms can appear randomly in fungus, and do so more frequently if you have units moving around in the stuff, but they have a chance to pop out of pods and can emerge through other events. It doesn't look like this is an Alien Crossfire LP, so fortunately for all concerned some of their nastiest tricks won't come up.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah without Alien Crossfire the native lifeforms are merely extremely irritating. With Alien Crossfire they get upgraded from 'severe nuisance' to 'global disaster'

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

there's definitely a prokhor zakharov poster but i havent seen him in a hot minute

He's around, I see him in the Jeopardy and NYC threads all the time, but his current avatar is Michael Pineda of the Yankees prior to getting thrown out of a game due to excess pine tar on his neck. I can drop him a PM for this thread, though, if you want.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I found this thread searching for my name (thanks GS)

Prokhor Zakharov is another poster who I'm sure also a cool guy.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

I found this thread searching for my name (thanks GS)

Again, no problem.

Glazius posted:

Not exactly. In older Civ games (like Civ 2, whose base Alpha Centauri is primarily built upon, sorta like how Beyond Earth is built upon Civ V), goody huts (what most fans of the game called the equivalent of ruins and still do today since their art assets were looked like huts and usually gave you good things) had a chance to spawn groups of Barbarians when you moved into them. "You have unleashed a horde of barbarians!" is a message I dreaded when I popped a hut when I played that game like 15 years ago, especially if I was scouting with a weak unit like I usually was. Dunno if you can spawn barbs out of a ruin in Civ V nowadays, but you definitely could in Civ IV. The cargo pods in this game are the equivalent of those goody huts.

For some reason, even though I was big into Civ II, I never got into Alpha Centauri. I dunno why, I just never really heard anything of it until long after the game had come out and they were already marketing Civ IV. Probably because I was rear end at Civ II, but I never really got into Civ III, and when I did play it way later after Civ IV had come out, I seemed terrible at that game. Still, I regret not playing this game ever. So I'm going to be following this thread closely.

nweissmuller, you always fluff out your classic 4X LPs so well, and I loved the way you handled audience participation in your two previous MoO and MoM LPs, albeit with a lesser amount in the latter LP. I can't wait to see where you, and your audience, take this one. From what you have so far, it look like it'll be amazing. Might even live up to the previous LP of this game that's currently in the LP Archives.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 20, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Marcus Li, Diary Entry 15, audio only: posted:

...Explored the strange monolith thing near the base today, the boss man had some of the scientists run over the whole thing with some long range scanner before we approached it. Things almost fifty meters tall and the complex its self is in a strange pattern of geometric circles that extend at odd intervals around the base. We had to scout the whole drat thing ourselves! Never a dull day for Rat Patrol.

We spent nearly five hours before something happened. One of the guys from squad one hit a button or something and the whole complex spun up to light. A low blue light filled the building and a soft humming somehow got through our helmets. Boss wasn't too happy, and radioed in. The scientists had us on a three days quarantine to make sure nothing went wrong with our heard or suits.

Funny thing though, in that time in the base, and don't ask me or the boys how, we got...well...sharper I guess. I dunno. When we got back to base and did our physicals, all and I mean ALL of us scored better on our hearing and eye tests and apparently our reflexes have improved anywhere from three to seventeen percent. I have a sneaking suspicion that if we wen't the only lines of defense for the colony we'd be on a slab to figure out what happend, but hey I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Still no word from the other colony pods...I wonder how the others are doing.

Anyways gotta get ready, we're heading out on a long patrol into that weird red fungus stuff tomorrow!

Marcus Li, Diary Entry 19, audio only posted:

..Out now for a week scouting the area around the base. This red fungus stuff is well...out of this world I guess. From a distance is looks squishy, like something you could hop around in like one of those fun house places on Earth, but if you get close enough to touch it, you better make sure you have some covering. One of the guys from squad 3 got his leg torn up bad by the edges of the stuff, its like a black berry bush had a baby with razor wire.

We've mostly been going at the fungus with little rock hammers and chisels, getting some samples for the scientists as we move. Boss offered us a bonus for it, otherwise we wouldn't be playing lab pack rats. drat if the stuff isn't heavy though. loving Santiago and her goons, stealing that buggy.

Fortunately, I have some investments squared up back home. I heard that some of the more "environmental" members of our little community are starting up a new base soon. I put down three months pay to get some shares of that. I'm not gonna live with the friggin hippies but I'll be damned if I miss a chance to invest in the ground floor of a new base. If I can get this little fund going, combine with the hazard pay we're pulling out here, well I might have enough soon to save up for a little base of my own too

We're coming up on abandoned pod, I think is one of the lab sections no one grabbed, so with luck I'll be getting some more capital. Gotta love the free market!

Marcus Li, Diary Entry 20, audio only posted:

gently caress! NO! NO NO NO NO NO, I'm sure as hell not going to talk about those goddamn worms! That poo poo....What in the hell was that? gently caress, they...they jus....no, no. gently caress that, and gently caress hazard pay, I'm requesting a posting to one of the garrisons. Gimme some loving armor! I mean the real poo poo, not the random bits and pieces of metal we bolted onto our suits for Rat Patrol.

gently caress!

Marcus Li, Diary Entry 28, audio only posted:

Just got some news. Apparently some of the crews working with that giant former thing made contact with a patrol working with Skye, or "Lady Deirdre" as she's calling her self.. pretentious little...

Anyways, this is great! Not a big fan of those tree huggers but what's important is that Micheal is with them! Right now our communications are still spotty and travel is non existent between any settlement. This garrison job is nice, but if I'm gonna have any chance of possibly getting to see my family any time soon, or at least being able to afford some of the communications gear that I can use to try and get in touch with them, sitting on my rear end all day at base isn't going to cut it.

My investment with Torrson is holding out nicely and I have some spare capital floating around. I don't want to go back to Rat Patrol, but being able to contract out to the big boss...

I'm heading down to the bar, I know a few guys who might be interested, they know some young guys and gals who are itching to get out and explore...

Mr. Morgan

With our recent introduction with Ms. Skye's faction of followers, it is clear that in order to remain competitive in what could be a very limited space, we must quickly take stock of our surroundings and figure out how to best utilize our resources.

To our west lies a small elevated ridge. If we were to get eyes on top of that ridge we'd be better able to take sight of what lays beyond our two settlements. We can take stock of resources and more important, see if there are any avenues of expansion Skye and her followers might try and exploit.

Finally, with the threat of the indigenous life forms on this planet, it behooves the company to increase the defenses of not only its settlements but of its standing forces too, not only to continue exploration of our surroundings, but to also guard or precious formers and other machinery used for infrastructure expansion.

Recently, my self and a number of compatriots have formed a security firm, Talon Security Solutions, we have a number of trained personnel, and a not too insignificant sum of capital. Sadly we lack the tools to do perform our craft, but we are aware that such manufacturing is at the disposal of your company. If Morgan Industries were to contract Talon and see fit to equip up, we will be more than happy to help with the security of this business venture and we would hope that your company would take some of our recommendations under advisement.

We eagerly await your response.

Marcus Li
Talon Security Solutions

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Marcus Li,

Normally, i'd chew you out for running. But all things considered, I can't blame you for not wanting to go back to scouting after first contact with the natives. I should just be thankful you aren't one of the members that have committed suicide over the whole scenario. And to be honest? I've been telling Morgan that garrisoning the colonies should be something the governors are expected to handle. If you're willing to deal with protecting our colonies and formers though, that'd take a load off my plate and let me focus on scouting and offensive operations. I'll tell you what, get Morgan's go ahead and I'll get you in touch with our logistics head. Best one we've had in years, poo poo actually shows up when it's relevant for once. You'd probably still have to pay for most of it, since you are your own private organization now. (Talon? Really?) Most of it is still owned by the big man himself.

Fight off a few raiders and I might even have to respect you. For a moment.

-Lt. Ezekiel Carson, Head of Corporate Security

P.S. Pay your loving tab. The bar owner seems to think I'm somehow responsible for you and your friend's blackout episodes.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Intra-colonial Memo
To: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

CEO Morgan,
Firstly, I have to say that introducing competing research labs was a masterstroke, a marketplace of knowledge where we need to remain efficient and focused. The stuff Dr. Kimberley's people produced on the local ecosystem was revolutionary, although I have high hopes my own company will soon have a similar breakthrough to showcase.

Onto other matters. Whilst I am concerned about Dr. Skye's unorthodox perspective (I refuse to call her 'Lady', we didn't travel four light years just to re-institute feudalism!) She has successfully established another human outpost beside our own, which given what we now know about the native wildlife, was by no means guaranteed. I'm wondering if we could start up a quid pro quo exchange of ideas and technology? We don't buy into their exceedingly conservative and retrograde platform, they don't buy into our own liberal values, but we could both benefit from each other's knowledge. Have we considered a technology trade with them?

Finally, I've been looking over the proposal from the Tellus collective. On the whole, their business plan is sound, growth projections are good, I'd be willing to invest in their venture, maybe even establish a branch lab there if it seems viable.

Regards,
AJ Kusisitiza, Coordinator, Kusisitiza Datametrics.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Glazius posted:

I don't know if it's what you're going for, but I really like how much like a person Morgan feels, and how this becomes the story of one man's ideology coming up against the probably-harsh reality of the world it has to deal with.

The core difference between mindworms and barbarians, from a mechanical viewpoint, is that the psychic attack they use ignore technological advances (aside from specific anti-psychic stuff). Instead it works purely off the unit's level, and the player's PLANET rating. This means that mindworms scale automatically, unlike barbarians which quickly become irrelevant in a normal Civ game. And if you use certain social engineering options, they will hurt you *hard*.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Pavel Zhilin, personal log files 2110.01, accessed 2110.10 posted:

Happy new year to me.
Let's review where the clusterfuck of the last months left us, shall we?

- Dr. Skye went crazy, is now a Lady and went full-on "become one with Gaia" (shouldn't it be "one with Chiron", now?), according to rumours.
- Kimberley got his head even further up his arse playing politics and favours. Lab work completely stagnated after our breakthrough in ecological modelling.
- A lot of people started talking about networks after my memo to Hal, but of course we heard nothing from him.
- Everyone is freaking out about those "psionic" worms, and they are using one of our precious workstations to maintain a forum and talk in circles about it. Why not use a cork "message board" and stop hogging lab equipment, I ask.
- Soon we'll get another settlement, and still no active projects working on a reliable communications network.

We're in for some fantastically unproductive years, aren't we.

To: CEO Joseph Gartner

Dr. Gartner,

As you most likely know, no one gossips as much as bored scientists do, and recently the lab grapevine brought to my attention a rumour about some alleged plans for the future of Atlas Neuroscience. If what I heard is true, you're planning to start a research colony out in the fungi forests. Me and the rest of my research group are very interested in the opportunities to further our understanding of Chiron ecology such an outpost could bring. Our interest is so high, in fact, that we're willing not only to buy out our shares of Morgan Industries and invest in Atlas, but also leave our current workplace and move out with your colonists to establish a proper research laboratory out there. I am certain that your venture stands to gain from the addition of the team behind Project Centauri Ecology.

Provided, of course, that Atlas Neuroscience can guarantee both manufacture and delivery of all the supplies and equipment necessary for such an undertaking. Our primary concern is two-fold: will there be enough computational power available to properly run all the necessary software and whether it'll be possible to establish reliable communication lines with other settlements.

I eagerly await your response.

Pavel Zhilin, PhD
Principal Investigator for Project Centauri Ecology
Head of the Microbiology Laboratory at Morgan Xenobiology Department

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
To: Dr. Pavel Zhilin, Morgan Xenobiology Department

Dr. Zhilin,

I am delighted to hear your offer of support for Atlas Neuroscience's plans for a Xenofungus colony. I've heard nothing but praise for your Centauri Ecology project, and agree that it would be of an immeasurable help in our studies. It would be my pleasure and my honour to welcome you on this colonisation venture, and I hope that we can establish a fruitful partnership.

As for your questions, I must admit that I myself have been concerned about the lack of an information infrastructure. We need a network for communication and nodes for storing information, and we needed them two years ago, never mind yesterday. These conditions for communication and research are rapidly becoming intolerable. Unfortunately, I'm a neuroscientist and a psychologist with some small knowledge of biology, not a computer scientist. We will get the best computers and networking facilities we can get our hands on, but I don't think either of us will be really happy till we rebuild our lost networking capability. In fact, I am already drafting mails to Mr. Morgan and the relevant research teams to get that fixed sooner rather than later. Hopefully that can tide us over for now.

Also, what do you think of the new Talon Security Solutions? We're setting up right in the middle of enemy territory as it were, so we're going to need a not inconsiderable armed escort and perhaps Talon can provide the answer.

Joseph Gartner, M.D.
CEO of Altlas Neuroscience

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Lt. Ezekiel Carson

Of course Talon is more than willing to take on any defensive work that may be required to keep Morgan Industries and its subsidiaries running at optimal efficiency. While I'd like to eventually branch out into helping with scouting and offence as well, if Talon is first and foremost needed at home for security, we'll be there. Forethought and planning is one of the things were working on here, with Santiago and her band of thugs still on the loose out there, we need to have some preparation, I still remember how bad things got in the US when those survivalist types got to flex some muscle.

(And as an aside between the two of use, yeah I know Talon is a bit of a weird name, I left the naming to the personnel I brought on, figured if they were the ones willing to put their lives on the line, they should at least be allowed to come up with the name. Though I wish they hadn't picked something so...evil sounding. I dunno, probably should have work shopped the name more).

-Marcus Li

P.S We'll get that bar tab paid as soon as we locate Private Jones, dumb guy though adding a sprinkling of that xenofungus would make his tequila stronger. Last we saw he was tearing off his cloths and running around hab block 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To: Morgan Xenobiology Department
Subject: Happy fishing

Good morning everyone. Live human trials last night were a resounding success, and Applied Maritime Solutions is pleased to report that the local fish-equivalent species tentatively designated the Common Sporefish (
xenopterois particeps) is indeed safe for human consumption, provided the attached instructions for proper butchering, chemical treatment, and cooking are followed. In particular, the fungal symbionts MUST be removed prior to nervous system failure or the sporefish will release a fairly unpleasant hemotoxin into its flesh. It's not as bad as those idiots who liked eating pufferfish back on Earth, but one of the medical reports described the patient who had eaten poisoned sporefish as 'repeatedly vomiting a highly unpleasant mixture of blood and mucus on a regular basis over the course of several hours until the treatment took effect.' Fair warning.

We have a few live specimens swimming around in aquaria right now, but I can't recommend any attempts at aquacultural cultivation of the species at this time. Sporefish seem to require exposure to the aquafungus as part of their life cycle, unsurprising given the important role the fungal symbionts play in its biology, and we lack the funds to build the requisite facilities for that. And, on a personal note, the idea of bringing the fungus into Morgan Industries creeps me out some.

Still, should CEO Morgan wish, I believe AMS can equip a small fishing fleet to begin harvesting sporefish and extract nutrient input from the coastal waters. I suspect we're going to need to start relying on native food sources sooner rather than later.

Bon appetit,

Dr. Maria Valdez,
Applied Maritime Solutions Ltd.

• Locked thread