Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaggitz posted:

Malvo is like the best interpretation of the biblical devil, he's just this force of evil that twists people so casually and easily.

Don't get me wrong, Malvo was a fantastic character in one of, if not the goddamn best, shows that aired last year, but I highly suggest that you watch Barton Fink for the best representation of the Biblical Devil.

Or really any other Coen Brothers movie, actually. Dudes really love the "devil walking the world as a man" trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching old episodes of Bones on TNT and I realized I somehow missed a plot point. After the whole arc of Zach and the Gormagon they did the whole thing where Zach was in a mental institution but still helping out but in later seasons they don't mention it or him at all.

Did they actually write a conclusion to that or did they just kind of drop it between seasons?

It was simply dropped. IIRC the actor who played Zach left the series because the traveling was too much or something other shooting related.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
State of Affairs is something i've been watching to fill the espionage gap left by The Blacklist's midseason break.

Tonight's episode, at least IMO, caused State of Affairs to go from "Hahahahaha, oh boy. Jeez." to "Ehhhhhhh?". It's actually gotten....better? It's still awful, but now the story is going somewhere and it's on a grander, less terrible scale.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Drunk History UK happend....

I'm English born and it was loving poo poo. The american one is so much more charming, and the story telling is pretty incredible considering how drunk they are.

I loathed it. It's comedians had zero charm and it's lit like a Ikea store.

Gonz posted:

State of Affairs is something i've been watching to fill the espionage gap left by The Blacklist's midseason break.

Tonight's episode, at least IMO, caused State of Affairs to go from "Hahahahaha, oh boy. Jeez." to "Ehhhhhhh?". It's actually gotten....better? It's still awful, but now the story is going somewhere and it's on a grander, less terrible scale.

Tell me Agent Whatshisface wouldn't make a great Batman.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 20, 2015

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Gonz posted:

I just saw the first ep – it is really terrible isn't it?

I've been thinking a lot about what I would like out of a spy show, and essentially it is Michael Clayton but as a TV-series and centered on the CIA I guess.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Tell me Agent Whatshisface wouldn't make a great Batman.

The guy who plays Nick Vera?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

He's certainly got the jaw for it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gonz posted:

He's certainly got the jaw for it.

And he's about 6'3"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, I think Malvo is... I dunno, maybe magnetic is the right word? It's not like I *like* him, but I *appreciate* him. I'm finding it hard to describe.
*finger pistols*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rocksicles posted:

So Drunk History UK happend....

I'm English born and it was loving poo poo. The american one is so much more charming, and the story telling is pretty incredible considering how drunk they are.

I only saw the preview clip with Russell Kane, who I cannot stand. He didn't come across as actually drunk in the slightest as he rattled off his awful 'joke' filled retelling of the nativity with a few slurred words. Drunk History works because it's such a simple loving concept, and yet the comedy bastions of the UK can't even manage that. Burn this country to the goddamn ground.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I only saw the preview clip with Russell Kane, who I cannot stand. He didn't come across as actually drunk in the slightest as he rattled off his awful 'joke' filled retelling of the nativity with a few slurred words. Drunk History works because it's such a simple loving concept, and yet the comedy bastions of the UK can't even manage that. Burn this country to the goddamn ground.

I wonder if they even spoke to the original show creators. The US version is filmed in stages. First the person recounts the story sober, then does it 3 more times as they get progressively drunker and drunker, which is were the best comedy comes from.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

I wonder if they even spoke to the original show creators. The US version is filmed in stages. First the person recounts the story sober, then does it 3 more times as they get progressively drunker and drunker, which is were the best comedy comes from.

I love seeing real, semi-famous actors acting out their stupid stories and mouthing their nonsensical words.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

V for Vendetta had the best parody of english comedy.
I watched the second episode with Irish dickhead, i got through 1.5 stories and i was done. I've seen every episode of the US one at least twice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This makes me glad I still have the entire second series of the American one to watch.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Wolf Hall starts tomorrow (or today if you feel like :filez:). If everyone ready for some history action.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So someone on youtube uploaded all of last night's 19-2 s2 premiere. If you want to be scared as gently caress about guns and stuff, well here ya go.

The long tracking shot starts at 7:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVvrBOvdaI

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I remember that being mentioned before, and being disappointed that I couldn't find a way to watch it. Cheers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The original was in French, but it's the same director. There's a few minor changes made for the English cast but all in all it's a straight adaptation. They made some more changes in the episode for stuff they couldn't get through in the French-Canadian version because that broadcaster vetoed it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

Wolf Hall starts tomorrow (or today if you feel like :filez:). If everyone ready for some history action.

I didn't know this was even a thing but it should be really good if they stick to the spirit of the book.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm watching an episode of Friends' seventh season, and it makes me incredibly sad that David will never end up with Phoebe :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I'm watching an episode of Friends' seventh season, and it makes me incredibly sad that David will never end up with Phoebe :(

Perhaps I can interest you in my fanfiction :kiddo:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

sbaldrick posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I also had no idea this was a thing.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jesus. Just finished watching Fargo. I had gotten to episode 8 and wanted to stop there, but couldn't, and literally had to keep going till it was over, because it was all too compelling and well-done. So impressed. I went into it expecting to dislike it from the start because I didn't see how a Fargo TV series of any sort could work, which is a foolish notion in retrospect since anything can work depending on how well it's executed... Anyway, just, in loving awe at how good television is right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wanna make a thread for Togetherness, but I'm not really all too big on posting in currently ongoing show threads these days. Would it be of interest to anyone else?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Feel free to cross-post this in any relevant threads: Powers is set to premiere on the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, March 10. I'm assuming they'll drop it all at once, but my source is the PS3 news ticker, so I can't confirm either way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are there going to be options for those of us who want to see the show but aren't going to buy a PS to do so?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sure, the usual cool guy option.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, because they want to sell PS. No options if you want to see an Amazon made show on a non-Amazon format.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

No, because they want to sell PS. No options if you want to see an Amazon made show on a non-Amazon format.

True but I also don't have to buy a $400 Amazon console either. I mean, it's not going to go up on iTunes or something down the line.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They premiere tv shows on consoles now? This loving world.

zoux posted:

Perhaps I can interest you in my fanfiction :kiddo:

I might be interested

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

True but I also don't have to buy a $400 Amazon console either. I mean, it's not going to go up on iTunes or something down the line.

Probably will be able to buy it on Blu ray, eventually.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Feel free to cross-post this in any relevant threads: Powers is set to premiere on the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, March 10. I'm assuming they'll drop it all at once, but my source is the PS3 news ticker, so I can't confirm either way.

Finally something to use my PS4 for!

Well that and Far Cry 4.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Sober posted:

So someone on youtube uploaded all of last night's 19-2 s2 premiere. If you want to be scared as gently caress about guns and stuff, well here ya go.

The long tracking shot starts at 7:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVvrBOvdaI

I came here specifically to see if anyone else had watched that. What a terrifying 45 minutes of television. 19-2 has this great use of sound, whether through mood music, a lack of music, or a lack of sound at all. They didn't use any background music until about 36 minutes into the episode, after it had been resolved, and I think that made it seem that much more realistic.

Normally I burn out pretty quick on consistently dark shows, but 19-2 hasn't lost me yet.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jennifer Garner has way too much money to be on this many commercials.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Jennifer Garner has way too much money to be on this many commercials.

Affleck probably gambled away all her Alias money by now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Sony also sells the "Playstation TV" for $99. Although that $99 is kind of a misnomer as you need a controller and those are sold separately from that SKU.

Also the first season of Sirens is up on Netflix now (the second season starts next Tuesday.)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

IRQ posted:

Finally something to use my PS4 for!

Well that and Far Cry 4.

I keep forgetting the PS4 is a thing. It doesn't help that my roommate has a PS3 and I don't play/pay much attention to video games nowadays anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The next Comedy Central Roast guy is going to be Justin Bieber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

The next Comedy Central Roast guy is going to be Justin Bieber.

He's been roasted his entire life, I'm sure he's prepared.

• Locked thread