Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, I was on the middle of the fence a year ago between an rMBP and MBA, but when I went into a Fruit Stand and tried reading PDF manuals and comics on the Retina vs. a standard screen, I found I had a fuckton less eyestrain when using the Retina's screen.

If you stare at the screen a lot, the Retina is worth it for the extra time you get before you start rubbing your eyes in exhaustion, as opposed to a non-Retina, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The screen is better (if not 'weirder' and blurrier), but the speakers on the MBPr are way better, you get TWO ThunderBolt ports, and you get an HDMI as well. You are getting at least 3 more hours battery on the Air and it's noticeably thinner. I have bounced between the 11" and 13" Air and the 13" MBPr quite a few times.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
When faced with a similar decision, I went with the retina pro. The weight doesn't bother me, even after using an 11" air. The screen really is worth it, though I do stuff on my computer that benefits from it (outside of lots of reading). Either one would technically be fine, but I'd say the retina is better long-term if you want to buy one now instead of waiting to see what any possible 2015 model updates bring.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
e: Wrong thread.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 20, 2015

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So this thread is straight up haus of tech support but a mac happens to be in the same room sometimes?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

So this thread is straight up haus of tech support but a mac happens to be in the same room sometimes?

There's probably one on the block, somewhere...

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Thanks everyone. Now to keep my fingers crossed there's a 13" rMBP on the refurb shop when I am ready to buy.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Pryor on Fire posted:

My bad, I completely forgot that existed. I'll post the thread there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Looking for advice: I'm replacing a 2011 13" MBA. I'm considering either a new 8/512 GB 13" MBA or a similarly-equipped retina 13" MBP from the refurb store. Prices are comparable.

I travel a lot, and the MBA has been great for that. I do general purpose stuff with it (web/mail/video watching/remote desktop), as well as keeping a bootcamp partition for Windows-only stuff.

Are there enough compelling reasons to go with the MBP, even with the additional weight?

Thanks for any insight.

While its not thinner or lighter, the rMBP actually has a smaller footprint than the Air and is quite portable.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anyone used the moshi screen protectors on their retina MBPs? I bought one for my new rMBP once it arrives; in the reviews some mentioned a loss of clarity but most seemed to not mind/got used to it/didn't notice. I'm sure it's a situation where it varies for each person, but the comfort of some additional screen protection makes me think I would rather have it than not.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Alright so my MBP 15 from 2008 just gave up the ghost and stopped booting suddenly and I've tried everything I can to resuscitate to no avail. I'm looking at the refurb 15 inch MBP and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I tried switching to Windows but ended up really not liking 8.1.

I'm on the road about half of the time so I'd like to cart around one laptop if I can help it. So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has buyer's remorse.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I'm considering two Dell P2415Qs to replace my two S2340Ms, I have a retina iMac and the difference in DPI is annoying, and the S2340M's stand can't pivot which has always annoyed me. All I've managed to find out on my own is that it does support two 4k displays, but chained with MST and at 30Hz each. Confirm? Deny? Any way to run both at 60Hz?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Must Love Dogs posted:

Alright so my MBP 15 from 2008 just gave up the ghost and stopped booting suddenly and I've tried everything I can to resuscitate to no avail. I'm looking at the refurb 15 inch MBP and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I tried switching to Windows but ended up really not liking 8.1.

I'm on the road about half of the time so I'd like to cart around one laptop if I can help it. So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has buyer's remorse.
I've had a 15" rMBP since they first came out and I've been super happy with it. Whether you want a 13" or 15" really comes down to what you're using it for.

I do a lot of Dev work on VMs and having the extra screen real estate when I'm mobile and significantly more power when I'm at a desk (I use it with a Thunderbolt Display at work as my primary computer) is great. Battery life is good, too, especially now that VMware and the MS RDP app behave themselves with graphics switching.

That said, if you're travelling a lot and you don't need the quad core CPU, dedicated graphics or larger screen the 13" is really awesome, too.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'm considering two Dell P2415Qs to replace my two S2340Ms, I have a retina iMac and the difference in DPI is annoying, and the S2340M's stand can't pivot which has always annoyed me. All I've managed to find out on my own is that it does support two 4k displays, but chained with MST and at 30Hz each. Confirm? Deny? Any way to run both at 60Hz?

I'm assuming by this that the only way you can get the internal + two external 4K displays running simultaneously is to drop the externals to 30hz.

<edit>
This is probably a hard limit imposed by DisplayPort 1.2, which caps out at 17.28 Gbit/s. A single 4K display @ 60hz requires almost all of that; the only way to drive more than one monitor is to drop the resolution, the refresh rate, or both.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 22, 2015

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
My 15" late 2011 Macbook pro has just come out from it's warranty. Luckily it decided to fail in November and got everything inside it basically replaced. The thing is basically perfect for everything I want, even the GPU stacks up nicely to the 750m. Hell, the RAM I used to upgrade with is now used by Apple.

So I want to replace the HDD with an SSD, the whole thing looks pretty easy but what brands work ok with the model?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Get rid of it. The replacement motherboards have the same video problems.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

NOTinuyasha posted:

I didn't know there was a video problem. And that wasn't even what broke. And I'd have to buy the $3 000 option to get something on par with what I have now. The Iris Pro is worse than my current video card in it.

Besides, I don't need to replace it and any SSD I get I can just chuck in my desktop when there is something worth replacing too. I just want to know what brands of SSDs I can use, my dad was talking about how Trim didn't work on some of them or something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Must Love Dogs posted:

The 15" rMBP with dedicated graphics is the bee's knees if you don't mind the size (it's still gonna be significantly smaller and lighter than what you've got now, but it's big by MacBook Air standards). I'd also definitely go for a refurb.

Like Mercurius mentioned, the 13" might be better for your needs if you don't need the quad-core. It's really close to the 13" MacBook Air in terms of dimensions and weight but the CPU and GPU are nowhere near as capable as a quad core with discrete graphics would be (but again, still better than what's in your 2008 by a country mile).

So the simple answer is no, I can't imagine having any sort of buyer's remorse about this unless you bought something over/underpowered for what you needed or maybe found the 13/15 too small/large. Or maybe if you made the stupid decision to get one of the non-retina models (seriously, don't loving do this).

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The 15" rMBP with dedicated graphics is the bee's knees if you don't mind the size (it's still gonna be significantly smaller and lighter than what you've got now, but it's big by MacBook Air standards). I'd also definitely go for a refurb.

Like Mercurius mentioned, the 13" might be better for your needs if you don't need the quad-core. It's really close to the 13" MacBook Air in terms of dimensions and weight but the CPU and GPU are nowhere near as capable as a quad core with discrete graphics would be (but again, still better than what's in your 2008 by a country mile).

So the simple answer is no, I can't imagine having any sort of buyer's remorse about this unless you bought something over/underpowered for what you needed or maybe found the 13/15 too small/large. Or maybe if you made the stupid decision to get one of the non-retina models (seriously, don't loving do this).

I ended up going with a refurb rMBP 15, 16gb/512gb with just the Iris Pro graphics and the 2.5 i7. The 13 seemed nice but I don't need to slim down too much since I'm driving most places and not flying.

It just shipped so we'll see how it goes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lord Windy posted:

I didn't know there was a video problem. And that wasn't even what broke. And I'd have to buy the $3 000 option to get something on par with what I have now. The Iris Pro is worse than my current video card in it.

Besides, I don't need to replace it and any SSD I get I can just chuck in my desktop when there is something worth replacing too. I just want to know what brands of SSDs I can use, my dad was talking about how Trim didn't work on some of them or something.
Basically Intel and Samsung, the newer SanDisks are supposedly pretty good too. Crucial is pretty popular but the SSD thread has issues with them. There's a bunch of other options but those are the main brands off the top of my head.

And yeah TRIM doesn't work unless you do a little tweak to a kernel extension (which also requires disabling kext signing in Yosemite), so if you don't want to do that you want a drive that handles garbage collection well on its own, and most of the modern ones do afaik.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

The fan on my 2011 11" MacBook Air runs way too much. This screenshot was taken with <15 Chrome tabs open, XCode open and a movie playing in VLC. What can I do? I was thinking of taking a screwdriver to it and blowing compressed air around. Could there be a thermal paste issue?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Close some Chrome tabs.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

alanthecat posted:

The fan on my 2011 11" MacBook Air runs way too much. This screenshot was taken with <15 Chrome tabs open, XCode open and a movie playing in VLC. What can I do? I was thinking of taking a screwdriver to it and blowing compressed air around. Could there be a thermal paste issue?

The TDP of your CPU is 17W. You're pushing a sustained 14+W on the package, and although you didn't post CPU usages, I'm guessing they're pretty high. Welcome to throttle town, population you.

VLC is not power efficient - even with hardware decoding, it copies the decoded video back to RAM, then back into the frame buffer. This allows software filtering but sucks down power almost as bad as just decoding on the CPU. Chrome is also a notorious battery hog on OS X. Keep an eye on "Apps using significant energy" in the system power menu, switch to less power-hungry software (the stock Apple apps are usually very good about this), and accept that if you hammer on an ultraportable system, it's going to get really hot.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The fan runs exactly as much as it needs to in order to keep the computer within its operating temperature range. That means sometimes it's audible. If it weren't, your computer would overheat.

I've been asked by a user, "what do I need to do for the fan to never run like that?" The answer is to turn off the computer and place it on a shelf.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Replaced my HDD and got an 850 evo. But I ran into problems reinstalling Yosemite onto the thing, I've tried 3 different USBs on two different downloads of the Yosemite Install App. Long story short, I found out there was an internet recovery mode and now I'm going back down to Lion.

Do I have to go download Mountain Lion and Mavericks to get back to Yosemite or can I go directly to Yosemite? I apparently have 3 hours until it's finished so I might as well ask.

EDIT: Apparently yes.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 23, 2015

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Must Love Dogs posted:

If you're not actually looking to upgrade, can you give more details besides not booting? Does it POST? Option boot? Target disk? Apple logo? Can you get to apple diagnostics? (Hold Down d at boot)?

It may just be your os or something silly like a cable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

The TDP of your CPU is 17W. You're pushing a sustained 14+W on the package, and although you didn't post CPU usages, I'm guessing they're pretty high. Welcome to throttle town, population you.

VLC is not power efficient - even with hardware decoding, it copies the decoded video back to RAM, then back into the frame buffer. This allows software filtering but sucks down power almost as bad as just decoding on the CPU. Chrome is also a notorious battery hog on OS X. Keep an eye on "Apps using significant energy" in the system power menu, switch to less power-hungry software (the stock Apple apps are usually very good about this), and accept that if you hammer on an ultraportable system, it's going to get really hot.
Yeah this, it basically means something is sucking up CPU. Looks like you have iStat Menus there, so other than the energy thing you can also keep an eye on CPU usage with iStat's CPU meter. For more detail there's Activity Monitor.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

If you're not actually looking to upgrade, can you give more details besides not booting? Does it POST? Option boot? Target disk? Apple logo? Can you get to apple diagnostics? (Hold Down d at boot)?

15" 2008 MBP so I'm going to guess the issue is: it won't do jack poo poo suddenly and will cost a bomb to fix.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

You must be thinking of the 2010's, cause the late 2011 15" pros don't have any major video issues.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Won't boot into safe mode, resetting the SMC didn't work, option-p-r didn't work, won't boot to the recovery partition, won't boot to diagnostics. Only thing I haven't tried is the target disk mode, mostly because I didn't have another Mac to offload the data to if it worked.

As it stands, I made it limp along for a year with no functioning number keys because I didn't want to spend any more money. It's not worth salvaging IMO. Only thing I want is to get data off of it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Must Love Dogs posted:

Only thing I want is to get data off of it.

Get a Phillips #00, available in a glasses repair kit. Get a USB->SATA adapter. Crack it open carefully and pull out your hard drive. Sell the remains for parts (the display's probably still worth something, though the RAM is old and the mobo is likely dead).

Although it may be that it's your drive that's dead. Have you tried booting from a USB stick or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

empty baggie posted:

You must be thinking of the 2010's, cause the late 2011 15" pros don't have any major video issues.

The hell they don't.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/28/apple-class-action-lawsuit-2011-macbook-pro-gpu-graphics-issues/

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I guess I should have said "that Apple has acknowledged". Personally, I haven't had any issues with mine, nor have seen a noticable amount of those models in the shop with that issue. We do see plenty of the mid-2010's with video issues.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

empty baggie posted:

I guess I should have said "that Apple has acknowledged". Personally, I haven't had any issues with mine, nor have seen a noticable amount of those models in the shop with that issue. We do see plenty of the mid-2010's with video issues.

late 2011 with dead GPU checking in

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, I was on the middle of the fence a year ago between an rMBP and MBA, but when I went into a Fruit Stand and tried reading PDF manuals and comics on the Retina vs. a standard screen, I found I had a fuckton less eyestrain when using the Retina's screen.

If you stare at the screen a lot, the Retina is worth it for the extra time you get before you start rubbing your eyes in exhaustion, as opposed to a non-Retina, IMO.

I took the collective advice, stopped by the Store yesterday and compared the two. No doubt, the Retina was noticeably better. I ordered a refurb 16gb/512gb today! VMWare will be so happy.

Thanks all.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pivo posted:

Get a Phillips #00, available in a glasses repair kit. Get a USB->SATA adapter. Crack it open carefully and pull out your hard drive. Sell the remains for parts (the display's probably still worth something, though the RAM is old and the mobo is likely dead).

Although it may be that it's your drive that's dead. Have you tried booting from a USB stick or something?

If he can't get to diagnostics it's unlikely to be the drive that's the issue. He didn't say if it posts or not but diags should still boot with the drive failing. Might be GPU or memory.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

If he can't get to diagnostics it's unlikely to be the drive that's the issue. He didn't say if it posts or not but diags should still boot with the drive failing. Might be GPU or memory.

I'm not sure what posts means but it gets to the grey apple with a constantly spinning gear and stops there. And yeah, it can't get to diagnostics.

Don't have a stick to boot from and the USB-SATA thing is my plan.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Must Love Dogs posted:

I'm not sure what posts means but it gets to the grey apple with a constantly spinning gear and stops there. And yeah, it can't get to diagnostics.

Must Love Dogs posted:

Spinning gear and apple likely indicates hard drive or software.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Kingnothing posted:

Spinning gear and apple likely indicates hard drive or software.

Eh. Brutal. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I asked this question in the general Warlords thread but haven't gotten a response so figured I might ask it here:

Does anyone here have a rMBP with the GeForce 750m and play WoW? If so, I can send a pm to discuss stuff since performance is less than I was expecting/had read about, and the keyboard area is getting uncomfortably hot with the fan staying on as long as I'm in the game. Not sure what I need to do to make my new shiny laptop not kill itself.