Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

jerichojx posted:

Do we actually have a release day yet? Jan is almost ending :(

They said end of March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

March 26th, to be specific.

e: It's in the OP now so there's no excuse to not know anymore!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Joe Man posted:

I hope they reconsider or add one for the expansion.
Yeah I was planning on playing a Fighter, but was assuming that there would be a Rogue to pick up somewhere.

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Its possible to create your own companions right? Could just add a rogue that way

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FRINGE posted:

Yeah I was planning on playing a Fighter, but was assuming that there would be a Rogue to pick up somewhere.

Luckily this isn't DnD, so anyone can have the skills to deal with locks and traps if you want them to. Death to the mandatory rogue (even though I like rogues)

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I wanted a rogue because sometimes you just need to pick a target and get it dead fast. I usually like playing rogues when they are focused on damage dealing and not being the skill monkey, so if I have to make my main character one it won't be so bad. I'm just not sure if they get enough active abilities to make them really interesting. In the BB, the only thing I ever do with the rogue is blind and use the escape skill to break engagement or get behind something (do I need to do that to flank?)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Walrus Pete posted:

Luckily this isn't DnD, so anyone can have the skills to deal with locks and traps if you want them to. Death to the mandatory rogue (even though I like rogues)
The focus on dirty fighting and damage dealing was the bigger difference I thought.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Walrus Pete posted:

Luckily this isn't true in DnD anymore, anyone can have the skills to deal with locks and traps if you want them to. Hooray letting rogues be good because of something else!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Luckily this isn't true in DnD anymore, anyone can have the skills to deal with locks and traps if you want them to. Hooray letting rogues be good because of something else!

Rogues do get that minor skill bonus to Stealth and Mechanics in Eternity. It's not entirely gamebreaking or necessary, but it's something.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

rope kid posted:

This is all part of the tuning process. Other notable changes we've been playing with locally:

* Crits are now 101+ (were 96+)
* Grazes are on 16-50 (were 6-50)
* Misses are on anything below 16 (were below 6)
* Crits add 25% to damage instead of 50%. This might seem strange, but with DR it usually feels much more significant. However, we may tune this yet again since...
* Yesterday, Tim fixed a bunch of exponential growth functions with damage multipliers. Percentage modifiers were always supposed to be additive with each other but many were not. Rogues could get especially ludicrous once they had five, six, or seven modifiers.

The net result is that damage output is more stable, having a lower Accuracy than the target defense is worse (since Grazes are in a narrower band), and we don't wind up with quadratic rogues.

Good to see that damage calculation has been fixed and I think the changes to the attack resolution are fine as well. I think that crits at 25% will not work well with the damage calculation fix though. I also don't think removing accuracy was a good idea - I understand why it was done (since everyone was just maxing Perception to get max accuracy, the most obvious thing to do is remove it) but I just think it's going to be regressive/cause problems. The fix to damage calculation actually devalues accuracy quite a bit, and the nerf to crit damage unnecessarily hurts even further. The way it was before would have actually produced a pretty interesting choice between Might and Perception with the attack resolution change and damage fix, and having mixed values (eg. 15 Might, 15 Perception) would have been pretty good/common as well.

Do you know if the calculation for other stats are going to be changed to additive as well ? (eg. Recovery time calculation, bonus duration calculation, bonus interrupt and concentration calculations etc) - I'm pretty sure they are all multiplicative too. Making Recovery time bonuses/penalties additive would probably make armor/shields a lot more viable too.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 19, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sensuki posted:

Good to see that damage calculation has been fixed and I think the changes to the attack resolution are fine as well. I think that crits at 25% will not work well with the damage calculation fix though. I also don't think removing accuracy was a good idea - I understand why it was done (since everyone was just maxing Perception to get max accuracy, the most obvious thing to do is remove it) but I just think it's going to be regressive/cause problems. The fix to damage calculation actually devalues accuracy quite a bit, and the nerf to crit damage unnecessarily hurts even further.

Surely it increases the value of accuracy? Up-ing the miss range makes low accuracy more costly. The increase in required roll for crits ups the value at the high end, but how that interacts with the general damage changes remains to be seen. The wiki makes it look like there are weapons that up crit damage though, so it's entirely possibly that a high accuracy crit build will be viable.

Ultimately though, no-one, who doesn't work at Obsidian, has played with the changes, so we're all spitballing even more than usual.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 19, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
What I mean by that is comparing Accuracy as a combat stat against others that also increase DPS - Might bonus damage, and Dexterity bonus attack speed. Additive values means that you get less crit damage from your Might bonus, as well as more graze damage from your might bonus (which makes crits less valuable and grazes less bad), reduced crit damage means that crits are less valuable than before, and constitute less total bonus damage than the might multiplier does at 19 Might+. So IF Accuracy was still on Perception, it would be a lot less valuable than before for the purposes of increased DPS because if you raise Might instead you get a flat reliable damage gain on every hit, instead of only the times when your Perception accuracy bonus changes your attack resolution.

(This is assuming that the graze reduction/other debuffs (like x0.8 damage) are included in the additive formula as well, rather than multiplying the result - which would make a lot more sense than it does currently).

Beforehand, for Might to be really good, you needed to be accurate. Now that's no longer necessarily the case. The increased miss chance and decreased crit chance would affect the results a bit, but still - even without having Matt run some numbers for me, I think the change to additive damage alone would have made them both an interesting choice for DPS gain.

The same would occur if the other bonuses were changed to additive as well. Interrupts would be less dependent on the attack resolution roll. The bonus duration you get from Attributes would grant more duration on a graze than before, and while not related, wearing armor and a shield would be less bad as well.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 19, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Do you know if the calculation for other stats are going to be changed to additive as well ? (eg. Recovery time calculation, bonus duration calculation, bonus interrupt and concentration calculations etc) - I'm pretty sure they are all multiplicative too. Making Recovery time bonuses/penalties additive would probably make armor/shields a lot more viable too.
Everything is supposed to be additive and I'm going to have Tim make a pass to make sure they all are.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Any thoughts on the ogre and bear on hard? I don't remember having a hard time with the ogre when the beta first came out, but the bears pretty much rush and can one-hit-kill my fighter and paladin. Who are like level 7. That's before the ogre even rolls up.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Elder Bears do OP damage in v392, but I *think* they got tuned?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah most of the critter damage was tuned down. Ogres do a little bit less damage generally, but Korgrak is one of the tougher ogres in the game.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
With the attribute changes I'm reading about, there seems to be a bit of an oddity regarding barbarians as a consequence...

If intellect increases duration, it means that the barbarian's frenzy lasts longer the more intelligent you are. I'm just trying to wrap my head around that... frenzy, rage, fury, intense emotions sustained by... logic and reasoning capability?

It's too late in the game for it I'd guess, but it makes me think that perhaps the entire concept of frenzy needs to be reworked - even apart from the stat changes I've heard people saying it's not that great.

I think I'd reimagine frenzy something like this... a modal ability that enhances might, speed etc, as at present, with no deflection penalty but... a constant stamina (but not health) drain. Such a mechanism would really promote a frenzied playstyle as you're racing to dish out damage before you drain too much of your own stamina and collapse in exhaustion.

An even more exciting variant might be that during frenzy, a successful kill regenerates some stamina, promoting a desperate playstyle where you're racing against the stamina drain to try and kill enough enemies to be able to sustain it. It would make barbarians who choose frenzy extremely active, perhaps similar to the monk, and more distinct from fighters. Probably too late for something like this, as I said, but... to me that sounds really cool. And doesn't result in barbarian Einsteins being the best at raging about uncontrollably.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

This applies to myriad things in the game. Why do blunderbusses gain damage from Might? Why does a rogue's Crippling Strike last longer with a high Int? We don't break off and subdivide individual duration/attack strengths by Attribute because so much of the game is designed around gamey conventions in the first place that there's not much point to it. Hit point systems are such a core part of the IE games and PoE and are such heavy abstractions that it seems weird to insist on realism after that point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Frenzy is intense focus requiring mental discipline to maintain, how about that will that do

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One thing I hope Pillars doesn't do like the BG games is present the opportunity to talk it out with an enemy, only for other guy to say "Nope, I don't trust/ believe you!" I don't expect every foe to listen to reason/my lies, but I do hope the game doesn't dangle a carrot like that more than once.

In regards to abilities and talents, I think the modal ones are most likely to be given the shaft by players. No battle is going to be complex enough that a player would switch between more than two modes per character.

chiefnewo posted:

Just her feet.

God, pray he doesn't show up again.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

rope kid posted:

This applies to myriad things in the game. Why do blunderbusses gain damage from Might? Why does a rogue's Crippling Strike last longer with a high Int? We don't break off and subdivide individual duration/attack strengths by Attribute because so much of the game is designed around gamey conventions in the first place that there's not much point to it. Hit point systems are such a core part of the IE games and PoE and are such heavy abstractions that it seems weird to insist on realism after that point.

Obviously there are a lot of things that are... a stretch. Usually I can think of some flimsy justifications though - strength reduces the projectile velocity lost to recoil, or intellect provides superior anatomical knowledge to inflict more effective crippling... even might interpreted as strength (you can after all move heavy objects with might checks, right?) could be required by wizards to physically contain the energies forming in their hands and shape it and project it most efficiently... just in this particular case, frenzy seems particularly antithetical to intellect.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Frenzy is intense focus requiring mental discipline to maintain, how about that will that do

That sounds more like resolve to me.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One thing I hope Pillars doesn't do like the BG games is present the opportunity to talk it out with an enemy, only for other guy to say "Nope, I don't trust/ believe you!" I don't expect every foe to listen to reason/my lies, but I do hope the game doesn't dangle a carrot like that more than once.

In regards to abilities and talents, I think the modal ones are most likely to be given the shaft by players. No battle is going to be complex enough that a player would switch between more than two modes per character.

With the awesome reputation setup, I doubt they would present no way to convince an enemy who was willing to talk. More likely to depend on your reputation for honesty, or deception, or whatever.Be a huge wasted opportunity otherwise.

Yeah, I doubt I'd use more than two modals... but I could definitely see myself using two if they are decent and situational.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Or factional reputation, as well.

The reputation and disposition system is a big plus (y).

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

Just her feet.

I'm missing something, would you explain?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Diomedes posted:

Obviously there are a lot of things that are... a stretch. Usually I can think of some flimsy justifications though - strength reduces the projectile velocity lost to recoil, or intellect provides superior anatomical knowledge to inflict more effective crippling... even might interpreted as strength (you can after all move heavy objects with might checks, right?) could be required by wizards to physically contain the energies forming in their hands and shape it and project it most efficiently... just in this particular case, frenzy seems particularly antithetical to intellect.

That sounds more like resolve to me.

How about this: Frenzy doesn't have much in common with intelligence, but more intelligent barbarians know how to channel their rage better so they don't get tired that fast/frenzy lasts longer. They are better at controlling their emotions and are using reason and intellect. Less intelligent burn out faster. Hope this is flimsily justifiable enough for you.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

EightDeer posted:

I'm missing something, would you explain?

Some guy on the Obsidian forum complained that Cadegund's feet in the original artwork were too large, which is a problem because it makes her look less than attractive. If I recall correctly he also went on a tirade about too many female companions, which made him feel uncomfortable because, duh, he should be adventuring with cool guys with swords and beards, not cool girls with muskets and suspiciously large feet.

gently caress me for remembering that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Babas who take more points in int can use ww more even with less mana leech

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

And that's why in my headcannon, irrespective of setting, barbarians are always hyper-stoic types. Constantly trying to control the burning rage within.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The abilities and their parent attributes not lining up 100% is regrettable but if that's a small sacrifice that must be made for overall game balance then so be it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

CottonWolf posted:

And that's why in my headcannon, irrespective of setting, barbarians are always hyper-stoic types. Constantly trying to control the burning rage within.

[Barbarian] You have to be realistic about these things.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 20, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

[Barbarian] You have to be realistic about these things.

:golfclap:

ropekid if you like Joe Abercrombie you have to get that in as a bark.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
re: Realism chat, will there be bathrooms in all the buildings? Or at least a place where it is plausible for NPCs to use the bathrooms/outhouse/chamber pots? Will NPCs be on an AI schedule where they use these bathrooms?

If not I'm pulling my funding~

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Some guy on the Obsidian forum complained that Cadegund's feet in the original artwork were too large, which is a problem because it makes her look less than attractive. If I recall correctly he also went on a tirade about too many female companions, which made him feel uncomfortable because, duh, he should be adventuring with cool guys with swords and beards, not cool girls with muskets and suspiciously large feet.

gently caress me for remembering that.
Didn't it end with him saying something like "not going to fix the art? Guess I will just kill her when I meet her."

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

CottonWolf posted:

My headcannon is that all of the Cipher's mental attacks are based on projecting goatse/tubgirl/etc into the enemy's mind

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

zedprime posted:

Didn't it end with him saying something like "not going to fix the art? Guess I will just kill her when I meet her."

I think it did, yeah. Guy sounded like a really peachy, well-adjusted dude.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blotto Skorzany posted:

My headcannon is that all of the Cipher's mental attacks are based on projecting goatse/tubgirl/etc into the enemy's mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrVqD67zils&t=115s

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One change the Fighters needs is getting rid off having to choose a Weapon Specialization at level 5. Chances are a Fighter may have a Specialization already so getting a second one would be redundant, as well as the fact it means a Fighter loses access to one less unique ability in favour of getting a bog-standard talent.

Gyshall posted:

re: Realism chat, will there be bathrooms in all the buildings? Or at least a place where it is plausible for NPCs to use the bathrooms/outhouse/chamber pots? Will NPCs be on an AI schedule where they use these bathrooms?

If not I'm pulling my funding~

In the grand tradition of Black Isle there will be a quest involving a latrine, a missing timepiece, gunpowder, swamp gas, and an oversized Heterocephalus glaber.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

One change the Fighters needs is getting rid off having to choose a Weapon Specialization at level 5. Chances are a Fighter may have a Specialization already so getting a second one would be redundant, as well as the fact it means a Fighter loses access to one less unique ability in favour of getting a bog-standard talent.

As far as I know, the weapon focus talents provide a boost to accuracy, whereas the fighter-only specializations provide a boost to damage.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have asked a few times before, and I know I am already apostate for not being a kickstarter backer (in fairness, didn't' know about it during the KS phase), but....will this be on any kind of sale or special coming up? I have limited funds and have set aside a very limited amount that is BARELY enough for PoE at full retail. Any chance of a break on pricing before it releases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
On STEAM at least I'd say very unlikely, especially as it was 10% off for a period of time when the pre-order first appeared.

• Locked thread