Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A human heart posted:

Darkthone are black metal(unless you mean their first album, but I'm guessing not) and don't sound anything like In Flames so that's not a very good recommendation.

Really? I thought black metal was all high-pitched scratchy vocals, basically the stuff that makes me hate music. Dimmu Borgir and all that.

My bad. This is why I stick to drone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Really? I thought black metal was all high-pitched scratchy vocals, basically the stuff that makes me hate music. Dimmu Borgir and all that.

My bad. This is why I stick to drone.

Usually, but vocals are like the last thing that you should be defining music genres by. Their are shrieky death metal vocalists and growly (or at least mid-range) black metal vocalists.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Where do I start with Neurosis

I'll put forward The Eye of Every Storm. It's what I first heard of them. I never got into their earlier material, but their most recent album is also very good if you like the sound on that one.

MockingQuantum posted:

And I love In Flames but really have no experience beyond them when it comes to death metal. Who else should I check out? I'm more fond of the more melodic, less growly stuff.

I'm not sure what period of In Flames you're referring to. If you're referring to their heyday in the mid-90s, check out their contemporaries Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, and Carcass (specifically Heartwork).

If you're feeling more progressive, you can't go wrong with Opeth. Their most recent material verges on the side of progressive rock (some would say they've even crossed that threshold). In Mourning is also great.

Here are some recent releases you might want to check out:

Be'lakor – Of Breath and Bone. Every song on this album is really memorable. "Cookie monster" vocals work well with the compositions.
Omnium Gatherum – Beyond. Probably the most beautiful melodeath I've heard.
Insomnium – One for Sorrow. In similar vein as Omnium Gatherum.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm not usually a big fan of death metal, and they're not strictly death metal (most places seem to categorize the band as Death 'n' Roll), but The Cumshots are pretty great. 'A Life Less Necessary' is the album that got me into them, but 'Just Quit Trying' is also very good.
A couple of tracks from 'Just Quit Trying': Praying For Cancer, Punchdrunk on Death
And a couple from 'A LIfe Less Necessary': Nonversation, This Dog Won't Bite

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If that hadn't come up in the context of a death metal discussion, I would never have even considered describing it that way. It sounds a lot more like one of the various *core genres to me.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Where do I expand with Thee Oh Sees?

I got Putrifiers II and think its pretty good, and I bookmarked the song "If I Had A Reason" a few months ago, but haven't gotten that album yet. Aside from that, I've found they have a decent discography and don't know where to branch off from there...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MockingQuantum posted:

Dead Can Dance?
I would pick Spleen and Ideal. It's a good blend between their post-punk first album (minus the unfortunately terrible production) and their later more ethereal stuff. If you want to go straight to their gloomiest go for the next one, Within the Realm of a Dying Sun.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Fartmaster posted:

Where do I expand with Thee Oh Sees?

I got Putrifiers II and think its pretty good, and I bookmarked the song "If I Had A Reason" a few months ago, but haven't gotten that album yet. Aside from that, I've found they have a decent discography and don't know where to branch off from there...

Welcome to the wonderful and frightening world of John Dwyer, he's the guy behind the band and co-owner of Castle Face records.

Oh Sees were three bands, really. You got OCS which was pretty much Dwyer solo doing mellow folky stuff which lasted for four records. Then there's The Oh Sees which was still mellow but with more reverb and with an actual band behind him, this lasted for two records (The Cool Death of Island Raiders and Sucks Blood). Both are really cool but really different from Thee Oh Sees which is the garage version you know, with pretty much the same ensemble as The Oh Sees but also higher tempos and way more fuzz. I'd say their best was Sucks Blood and The Master's Bedroom Is Worth Spending a Night In, they were unbeatable between 2006 and 2008. The singles and various stuff from that time are all great, too.

Check out Dwyer's earlier stuff like The Coachwhips, Pink & Brown or his queer industrial band called Zeigenbock Kopf. The guy's from Providence and he was a part of that noise scene for quite some time.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!

Terminally Bored posted:

Welcome to the wonderful and frightening world of John Dwyer...

Thanks for the info man, will do!
Holy crap this guy sure has his fingers in a ton of bands though, even industrial huh?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Yeah, or gay disco noise. One of the funniest bands I ever heard.

Dwyer's a really cool guy who really contributed to the San Francisco's garage scene back in the day. Now he's gotten attention but seems a bit tired these days (he didn't even want to answer any questions when I interviewed OCS). His label's still good, though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What about Clutch?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive/Exodus.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive/Exodus.

Seconded. Pure Rock Fury is good too, but not as good as these albums.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

homewrecker posted:

Where should I start with Sloan?

6 months later but better late than never I guess?

Sloan is a band where you're probably best to just start by listening in chronological order. Smeared, the first album, has "500 Up" and "Underwhelmed" on it and those are the songs I think of when I think of Sloan (as a fan since when there was only that album and Peppermint).

From there, you get a string of great albums:

Twice Removed / One Chord To Another / Navy Blues / Between the Bridges / Pretty Together

Then the 90s were over (well, Pretty Together was early 2000s, but it fits in with the 90s albums better).

After that, only get Sloan albums if you've exhausted all the others. They still make good albums, but they were most consistent through the 90s. I don't mean to be a dick to the guys because they're all good guys: I can think of worse things than having a run of six great albums that are hard to live up to.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
After hearing the GTA V score by Tangerine Dream, I went to listen to more because I was always kind of aware of their existence, but never really bothered to follow up, especially because sorting through their discography just seems like a futile task. And now with the recent passing of Edgar Freuse it seems like a good time to have a good crack. Anyone got any tips?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

screaden posted:

After hearing the GTA V score by Tangerine Dream, I went to listen to more because I was always kind of aware of their existence, but never really bothered to follow up, especially because sorting through their discography just seems like a futile task. And now with the recent passing of Edgar Freuse it seems like a good time to have a good crack. Anyone got any tips?

Zeit or Phaedra are good places to start but all the early 70s stuff is pretty cool (Electronic Meditation is different from everything else though, because they haven't fully gone over to synthesizers on that one). Their later stuff is much less well regarded than the early to mid 70s material, some people say there's good music in there but I haven't delved into it at all personally.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

screaden posted:

Pretty much as above, though someone asked this question a couple years ago so I'll just pretty much say the same thing I did then. I always suggest to folk to start at the first three or so Virgin Records albums which are Phaedra, Rubycon and Stratosfear. To me those are the classic TD albums. Plus they're pretty easy to get as Virgin used to sell them on a budget price for years. Though I suppose now it's all digital downloads anyway so that doesn't matter so much.

It was really after their album Tangram where TD started to change their sound slightly. Less obviously sequenced, and less cosmic and spacey. Albums like Exit, White Eagle and Hyperborea may interest you more as I always felt like they sounded more like the soundtrack work they had started to produce by then. So that might be a better place to start then if it's that side that's interesting you more.

Plus their actual soundtrack work from the time was amazing, having scored the likes of Sorcerer, Thief and Risky Business. Never played GTA V but I can only imagine since they've approached TD to score the game it may sound more like that kind of work.

As for the 80s stuff they did, well that's really not too well regarded. I've not heard everything they did then, but I've heard a lot and I actually really like a lot of the work they did then. However no denying that nowadays it can sound pretty dated, and it wouldn't be a stretch to call it cheesy at times even. I will always really love the Underwater Sunlight album though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I will always really love the Underwater Sunlight album though.

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only one on the planet that loves that album. I listen to it in the car regularly - ripped it from my old vinyl copy.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Where do I start for ELO? I only have the Mr. Blue Sky Very Best compilation and know the hits but have never listened to any of the studio albums.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd start with their fourth album, Eldorado, and work forwards and backwards from there, but I'm not a superfan, so there may be a better opinion out there.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

As far as Autechre goes, someone recommended me Cichlisuite as a starting point years, maybe, four years and four months ago? Never got any further than that - except maybe Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae. Want to know where else I can really work my up from.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Joose Caboose posted:

Where do I start for ELO? I only have the Mr. Blue Sky Very Best compilation and know the hits but have never listened to any of the studio albums.

If you want to dive straight to the heart of the group's radio-friendly pop material, then I'd honestly start with A New World Record which is probably their strongest beginning-to-end album. Eldorado is another good starting point, though, as it shows more of the group's earlier, proggier side and is a nice concept album (as is their early 80s album Time, which is sort of a hidden gem). Really most of ELO's stuff is pretty interesting (with the possible exception of the first two albums, which are out there in a not-especially-compelling way, and Xanadu, which is just terrible).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheNintenGenius posted:

If you want to dive straight to the heart of the group's radio-friendly pop material, then I'd honestly start with A New World Record which is probably their strongest beginning-to-end album. Eldorado is another good starting point, though, as it shows more of the group's earlier, proggier side and is a nice concept album (as is their early 80s album Time, which is sort of a hidden gem). Really most of ELO's stuff is pretty interesting (with the possible exception of the first two albums, which are out there in a not-especially-compelling way, and Xanadu, which is just terrible).

I was recently relistening to Time, and while it's got some killer tracks, man, the story is depressing as gently caress.

What's hilarious, though, is a chunk of Yours Truly 2095 being sampled as the hook on this track.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Another band with a million albums - where do I start with Rolling Stones? Until now I've mostly just listened to Hot Rocks many times and have no idea where to start approaching their studio albums.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Joose Caboose posted:

Another band with a million albums - where do I start with Rolling Stones? Until now I've mostly just listened to Hot Rocks many times and have no idea where to start approaching their studio albums.

Their early stuff is hosed up like the Beatles', with UK and US versions all over the shop, you're generally best off starting with compilations for that, but their first record where the tracklist isn't split AND they're firing on all cylinders (Sorry, Satanic Majesties) is Beggars Banquet. The four album run starting there and going through Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St. is one of the strongest any group has had (and it's not like the albums immediately following---Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll---suck, either)

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Allen Wren posted:

Their early stuff is hosed up like the Beatles', with UK and US versions all over the shop, you're generally best off starting with compilations for that, but their first record where the tracklist isn't split AND they're firing on all cylinders (Sorry, Satanic Majesties) is Beggars Banquet. The four album run starting there and going through Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St. is one of the strongest any group has had (and it's not like the albums immediately following---Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock and Roll---suck, either)

I would defend Satanic as a pretty good but not great psychedelic album. But it's not typical of the band, and I definitely wouldn't think of suggesting that someone start there.

I'd agree with the Big Four mentioned above, maybe saving Exile for last. I think it's the greatest rock and roll album ever released, but I've seen opinion here and there that it's not as "accessible" as other Stones albums. I'm not sure what that means in terms of this particular album, but since the word seems to crop up now and then, maybe it's good not to ignore it here.

The other title that shouldn't escape mention is Some Girls.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I really like parts of Satanic Majesties. Citadel and 2000 Light Years From Home are massively underrated, I just don't think it holds together well as an album.

I think Exile's difficult reputation stems from its length and its relative lack of big radio singles, especially considering its length. Basically the only track from the record that entered the lowest-common-denominator that is the classic rock radio playlist is Tumbling Dice.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 13, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

I think Exile's difficult reputation stems from its length and its relative lack of big radio singles, especially considering its length. Basically the only track from the record that entered the lowest-common-denominator that is the classic rock radio playlist is Tumbling Dice.

Yeah it's not a familiar album to listen to, as in you probably haven't heard any of the tunes on the radio, unlike say if you were listening to many of their others. But it's an insanely strong album.

I think what makes it my favorite album is that it grooves so hard, and it it sounds so raucous. And I love the R&B horns on every other track.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Allen Wren posted:

I would suggest "Happy" as well (both were released a singles, if I'm not mistaken), but still, the point stands. There's really little else that would have been a good candidate for regular radio play. A top-forty audience would have very little patience with tracks such as "Ventilator Blues" or "Turd on the Run."

If I'm a bit bemused over the whole "accessible" thing, I guess it's because the idea that something may not be accessible sends me directly to thinking of stuff that's much weirder and/or more complex and/or exotic to the ear of the listener who doesn't stray from the friendly offerings of the current hits, or whatever. I think of Beefheart or the Residents or Harry Partch. From that perspective, I don't think Exile sounds very far removed from the Top of the Pops, even if it's easy to see how it's not exactly "radio friendly."

But:

LordPants posted:

I think what makes it my favorite album is that it grooves so hard, and it it sounds so raucous. And I love the R&B horns on every other track.

Yeah.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

AlphaXires posted:

As far as Autechre goes, someone recommended me Cichlisuite as a starting point years, maybe, four years and four months ago? Never got any further than that - except maybe Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae. Want to know where else I can really work my up from.

I like the idea of just starting with the beginning with these guys, you can hear their progression from album-to-album (or EP to EP) and I don't think they've really put out anything bad - they have a wealth of stone-classic material.

Another approach (if you haven't got that kind of time) is to get LP5, and if you find it too harsh, go backwards, if you think it's not noisey enough, go forwards.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

After The War posted:

Can anyone recommend any hip-hop based around industrial or noise backing tracks? My rap knowledge comes to an abrupt halt in 1995.

I know it's been a month since you asked, but I want to give a shout out to this 2007 Saul Williams album that Trent Reznor did a lot of the music for and I'm still kind of obsessed with- "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust". Trent's "industrial" sound isn't super hardcore or anything, but there's some sweet factory and synth beats to go with Saul's poetic bent. I don't think it sold very well for them, but it owns. Think Zulu Nation style lyrics (Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, etc.) on a concept album with Nine Inch Nails' constructed industrial/electro rock instead of jazz.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I know it's been a month since you asked, but I want to give a shout out to this 2007 Saul Williams album that Trent Reznor did a lot of the music for and I'm still kind of obsessed with- "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust". Trent's "industrial" sound isn't super hardcore or anything, but there's some sweet factory and synth beats to go with Saul's poetic bent. I don't think it sold very well for them, but it owns. Think Zulu Nation style lyrics (Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, etc.) on a concept album with Nine Inch Nails' constructed industrial/electro rock instead of jazz.

I'm no purist and this is definitely going in the direction I wanted, thank you! This came out when things were falling apart with a Reznor-obsessed gf so I missed it out on it at the time.

Didn't get a chance to thank people earlier. I actually saw dälek with the Mevlins and Tomahawk about a jillion years ago but was extremely distracted by the fact that I had managed to talk my new gf (the same one as above) into going to a show like that, and that was fixating to a startling degree on King Buzzo...

Still got the CD, though, so that's worth digging back out.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
Where do I start with Superchunk?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Red Ryder posted:

Where do I start with Superchunk?

I think the generally agreed choice is No Pocky for Kitty, but their albums are really consistent honestly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Where do I start with Nickel Creek?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with Nickel Creek?

Since they only have four widely-released albums, you could pretty easily just start with their self-titled and go forward from there. This Side would probably also be a good starting point.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Murder Ballads is a great album but I don't know how representative it is of their usual sound. I know that From Her to Eternity is very well-regarded, but I've never actually heard it myself.

I hear that jazz metal has been taking off lately. What's some good stuff to check out there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

I hear that jazz metal has been taking off lately. What's some good stuff to check out there?
I don't know about lately but the first Cynic album and first three Atheist albums are landmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

MockingQuantum posted:

From Her to Eternity, Tender Prey, Henry's Dream.