Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

triplexpac posted:

They are just assholes backstage and stiff in the ring. So they generally don't have a lot going for them.

I think it's just Bubba that's an rear end in a top hat, I've heard lots of stories of D'von having to apologize for a lot of bullshit Bubba does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Smoking Crow posted:

I think it's just Bubba that's an rear end in a top hat, I've heard lots of stories of D'von having to apologize for a lot of bullshit Bubba does

Possibly. Or maybe they're both assholes playing Good Cop Bad Cop, so their team doesn't get run out of every promotion on earth.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The sound the crowd makes when they do the 3D (thousands of people shouting "Three Dee!!!!" out of sync with each other) is one of the great wrestling crowd noises and all the stiffness and assholery in the world is a small price to pay to hear it again

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Psybro posted:

1) Did Kane's ring attire not badly telegraph the result of the match? Why was Austin not at least trying to cut the back of Kane's hand or slit his throat or something?
When I first saw that as a kid, I actually thought it telegraphed the opposite result. I figured they were obviously preparing to do some fire stunt with Kane, since his outfit was conspicuously different and covered more of his body.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I was listening to Coach's ESPN show and he specifically singled out Bubba Ray as the worst person to deal with during his time at WWE.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

St Evan Echoes posted:

The sound the crowd makes when they do the 3D (thousands of people shouting "Three Dee!!!!" out of sync with each other) is one of the great wrestling crowd noises and all the stiffness and assholery in the world is a small price to pay to hear it again

It hella owns. The one at 0:33 in this video is really good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That compilation really highlights how safe that move actually is. Anyone who doesn't take it through a table is just bouncing their face off of Bubba's gut.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

triplexpac posted:

Possibly. Or maybe they're both assholes playing Good Cop Bad Cop, so their team doesn't get run out of every promotion on earth.

I've heard stories where D'Von's apologized to fans for stuff Bubba does

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AlmightyPants posted:

Has there ever been a debuting big guy (6 foot 9+) who hasn't started as a heel?

Sid justice .

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AlmightyPants posted:

Has there ever been a debuting big guy (6 foot 9+) who hasn't started as a heel?

Are Big Cass and Enzo in NXT supposed to be heels? Cass is billed as 6'10" and he honestly looks about that, maybe an inch shorter. I've heard that's not something you can teach.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Memento posted:

Are Big Cass and Enzo in NXT supposed to be heels? Cass is billed as 6'10" and he honestly looks about that, maybe an inch shorter. I've heard that's not something you can teach.

Cass debuted as a heel jobber iirc

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
the El Gigante face run was interesting because, on virtue of being uncharismatic and completely useless, he was actually believable as a helpless babyface despite being freakishly tall.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How did Mayweather/Big Show at WM24 come about? The online back Observers don't go back that far.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

LvK posted:

the El Gigante face run was interesting because, on virtue of being uncharismatic and completely useless, he was actually believable as a helpless babyface despite being freakishly tall.

The Rowan Effect

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What was so terrible about Riki Choshu's fed that it won Worst Promotion in 2003? Not familiar with it at all and in fact I needed to look up "World Japan" on Google to even know it used to be called that.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 22, 2015

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

How did Mayweather/Big Show at WM24 come about? The online back Observers don't go back that far.

I'll start with saying this only tangentially answers your question, or perhaps hints to the actual genesis of the angle without covering how Mayweather Show specifically came to be. It's also :tinfoil: as all gently caress. More than a little :words:y too.

This is all my recollection and I can't find any source explicitly reporting on all of these or on some of the overlap, but I'm fairly sure that stretch of 2007 and 2008 saw the following events/situations unfolding:

preemptive tl;dr: MMA's two biggest heavyweights were free agents at the same time as Boxing's biggest name and Cuban and Shane McMahon were in talks to launch an MMA promotion in the midst of the sport's surge to popularity.

[1]UFC and its top fighters were not getting along, at all. Most notably: Dana White was publicly hyping an upcoming Couture-Fedor unification bout as soon as Fedor was signed. Talks with Fedor broke down unexpectedly, and Randy wound up leaving the UFC citing their inability to bring him Fedor as well as disputes with ownership.

This was the Heavyweight Champion of the world's top MMA organization (Couture) and the #1 heavyweight in essentially any World Rankings in the midst of what became a 20+ fight unbeaten streak. They, at least publicly, badly wanted to fight each other but UFC couldn't/wouldn't make it happen.

[2]Shane McMahon and Mark Cuban having discussions regarding starting an MMA organization (on a much larger scale than Cuban's HDNet fights).

Between WWE's capital and Cuban's extraordinary (if highly leveraged) wealth-they'd have had no problem paying both Fedor and Couture-likely for a series of fights. It should be noted that Couture, at this point, was showing up as a corner men for his fighters during HDNet fights

[3]Floyd had been drawing ridiculous purses and PPV checks for his fights-while avoiding the fans "dream" fight with his biggest opponent (note: Scientists yet to discover any time period this sentence does not apply to). He was also the most popular boxer in America-arguably the most popular fighter. Coincidentally, he was recently retired (still undefeated) with the goal of focusing on his boxing promoting company.

[4] The press was [starting/gaining steam/full bore] on stories regarding UFC/MMA being the downfall of boxing, while commenting that the Klitschko brothers had failed to maintain/draw the interest of the American Public for what most non-boxing press would call the lifeblood of American Boxing, the Heavyweight division.

It's always been my conspiracy theory that the origins of the Floyd-Show were tied into bigger plans-using Wrestlemania 24 as a launching pad for this new fighting organization.

Randy-due to his contract-couldn't fight elsewhere until the middle of 2008 (UFC claimed/claims that he had 2 fights left on exclusive, and there was no time window), but there appeared to be no restriction on his ability to show up and promote... and some gray area on if a shoving match in a WWE ring with Fedor would really count as "fighting" if it were scripted.

Announcing at Wrestlemania the formation of a new fighting org-legitimate-and being able to hype it with a weigh-in/staredown/scripted slapfight between the two most important heavyweights in MMA may have been one of the most pivotal moments in American MMA history. Floyd's name had been tossed around with UFC for a while (at the time and since). I doubt he'd have actually had an MMA bout, but Shane/Cuban could have provided a much larger portion of the pie than Floyd's on-again/off-again partners at Golden Boy. Or one of the higher profile stages to organize and promote his first massive bouts under Mayweather Promotions.

Essentially, you'd be seeing a billionaire fund a competitor to a brand that had so thoroughly monopolized the most buzzworthy "growing" sport in America that it was nearly eponymous-using the highest profile boxer in the country alongside the two most important heavyweights and with the aid of the most effective organizational hype machine in American combat sports ("sports") since Ali himself-in addition to their industry leading production staff and event logistics.

poo poo, of course, went south as none of that came to pass. I'd wager for the exact same reasons that all of Cuban's non-Mavs sports ventures (trying to buy into other leagues, etc) went south: He's got a reputation as an absolute pain in the rear end to work with-and there's something within his specific financial setup that raises massive red flags whenever partners look into him. Shane hosed off to China (eventually), Fedor never managed to make it work with UFC, Randy eventually made nice and lost his belt to Brock and Floyd.... was the only one in this situation without a reasonable next step. It was too soon after his retirement for a comeback without losing credibility, his desired first major fighter, Hatton, made his next fight back home with Golden Boy promoting and any name recognition he did have outside of Boxing was in danger of waning if he didn't find something high profile and popculture (sort of) to do-so he stuck around.

Obviously that's all speculation and :words:, even moreso than anything vaguely dirtsheet related usually is... but it's always been the most interesting Punchsport WhatIf to me.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Thauros posted:

What was so terrible about Riki Choshu's fed that it won Worst Promotion in 2003? Not familiar with it at all and in fact I needed to look up "World Japan" on Google to even know it used to be called that.

It was a low-drawing vehicle for Riki Choshu to make himself seem like a god and push Kensuke Sasaki to the moon. Bad matches, bad booking decisions. No new stars were being made, it was just Choshu and his old friends putting main event matches way beyond their expiry date. The nail in the coffin was Sasaki getting fed up and leaving. Choshu didn't have the money to pay all talent, so the morale was really low in the latter years.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jake Soo posted:

It was a low-drawing vehicle for Riki Choshu to make himself seem like a god and push Kensuke Sasaki to the moon. Bad matches, bad booking decisions. No new stars were being made, it was just Choshu and his old friends putting main event matches way beyond their expiry date. The nail in the coffin was Sasaki getting fed up and leaving. Choshu didn't have the money to pay all talent, so the morale was really low in the latter years.

oh so it's tna

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

oh so it's tna

Except they closed doors when things got untenable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone have recommended viewing (on the Network) for BookDust?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Who's the better ref: Lil Naitch or Red Shoes?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dimebags Brain posted:

Red Shoes

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

Can Red Shoes marathon sprint down a Wrestlemania aisle to make an important 3 count?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've been thinking lately that in kayfabe it would probably be a good idea to always have at least one additional referee at ringside ready to step in at a moment's notice. It's ridiculous how long it takes for replacements to show up (if they ever do).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Diabolik900 posted:

I've been thinking lately that in kayfabe it would probably be a good idea to always have at least one additional referee at ringside ready to step in at a moment's notice. It's ridiculous how long it takes for replacements to show up (if they ever do).

Really, ref bumps should almost never happen, so that when they do, the crowd shits themselves.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Red posted:

Really, ref bumps should almost never happen, so that when they do, the crowd shits themselves.

Yeah, not having a replacement ref immediately at the ready would make sense if ref bumps rarely happened. But as it is, you're guaranteed a couple each month so surely you'd think they would have a program in place to figure this poo poo out.

But also irish whips don't make any sense and wrestling is better if you just don't think about it too much.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
In what match(es) did CM Punk wear his Macho Man ring gear?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LightsGameraAction posted:

In what match(es) did CM Punk wear his Macho Man ring gear?

Savage died on May 20th, 2011, and I think Punk started wearing the gear as a tribute pretty soon after.

Here's a list of all his matches: http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/c-m-punk-467.html?pg=4

It looks like he had it on for the Raw after Over the Limit against Cena/Rey: http://victor-wweinlive.blogspot.com/2011/05/john-cena-rey-mysterio-vs-r-truth-cm.html

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Did Lex Luger get paid for Superbrawl Saturday?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ZDar Fan posted:

Did Lex Luger get paid for Superbrawl Saturday?

I don't know.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

im pissed now!!!

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

When was the last time we saw rey in the ring? Is he injured?

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

oatgan posted:

im pissed now!!!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
What kind of disgusting, dispiq... dispiqunsbbl... lack of respect does that Billy Whatshisname show, booking a match for "The Total Package" Lex Luger at Superbrawl?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Anybody who doesn't know what we're referencing should click here immediately.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

When was the last time we saw rey in the ring? Is he injured?

Last winter, he's not injured he's just in a contract dispute with WWE. He wanted to leave so they used a clause in wrestler contracts to automatically extend his contract due to time missed because of injury. (Something they never did with Undertaker or HHH who missed shitloads of time when they were still on the main roster.) It runs out around Wrestlemania.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

dsriggs posted:

What kind of disgusting, dispiq... dispiqunsbbl... lack of respect does that Billy Whatshisname show, booking a match for "The Total Package" Lex Luger at Superbrawl?

Next you'll be telling me the kids these days doubt El Dandy's prowess!

Mar 2, 2005

OPTIC BLAST!
What's with this whole idea that wrestling was at it's best when promos were unscripted? I've heard Austin's 3:16 speech touted as one of the greatest examples of what Reigns should be allowed to do, rather than him having to perform Vince's pre-crafted nursery-rhyme scripts, but every time I watch that 3:16 clip, I can see Michael Hayes mouthing Austin's lines along with him.

Watch it. It's there. Watch Hayes' lips.

I don't think I noticed this until I got the network, but if you go to 2:02:45 on the WWE network version of the 1996 King of the Ring PPV, it's there as clear as day.

Why such vitriol for the fact that lines are scripted for wrestlers in 2015, when they were also somewhat pre-prepared back in 1996?

Instead, I blame those allowed to do the writing. Bring in better writers.

Russo 4 lyf.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No-one's saying the guys shouldn't have agents and bookers helping them. Rock had a guy on the creative team he preferred to work on his stuff with him, Heyman worked closely with basically everyone on any show he was running. The point is involving the talent, and letting them improvise. Go to them with some bullet-points and ask how they'd word a promo hitting those points, and then work on it and refine it in their voice, instead of the generic 'John Cena/babyface comedy promo' we get in WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Holy poo poo I checked the .gif thread and is it the loving return of NWO? What episode did this happen?!