Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Phylodox posted:

I want Treister and JJ to team up now.

"Who run Barter Town? Jonas Jr. run Barter Town!"

Goddamn, I wonder if that was a conscious foreshadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

JT Jag posted:

I don't think the problem with Rusty has ever been that he isn't smart. His problem is that he's never tried. I mean, poo poo, he developed all that cloning technology himself, right? And the amount of money he was being given for the Gargantua 2 shield was finally enough for him to get off his rear end.

"Old man potter" Ben said it was him and jonas who built that stuff.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Way before then, actually---in the Brisbyland episode, Brisby wanted Venture Sr.'s research on cloning technology, since he knew that he had been working on that before he died.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

If you go back even further old man Brisby says it in the Brisby Dome back in season one.

edit: too slow!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There was something very paradigm-changing about Doc joining in with the "Go Team Ventures". More so than any of the compound-destructions and what-have-you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

JT Jag posted:

I don't think the problem with Rusty has ever been that he isn't smart. His problem is that he's never tried. I mean, poo poo, he developed all that cloning technology himself, right? And the amount of money he was being given for the Gargantua 2 shield was finally enough for him to get off his rear end.

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't he blow most of the time and money given to him to build the thing and still designed a rough draft so in a week his horrible mutated interns would finish it? In a way, that irresponsible behavior is more impressive than doing it legit.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Rusty is very smart but very lazy.

I hope season 6 is Brock having to stop Rusty from making successful inventions now that he has money.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Dr. Venture is obviously going to spend his new fortune while in New York trying to get a production together for "Rusty! The Musical!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Rusty is very smart

I mean, are we sure about this? It seems like they've retconned pretty much all of his accomplishments to be stealing from someone else. What have we actually seen him do on his own? Billy even called him out for his degree being honorary in the special.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Mommy Longlegs is definitely dead. Well, as "definitely" as you can ever get in this show, at any rate. Dr. Mrs. the Monarch checked her vitals and everything, and she was abandoned in the halls of the GCI.

I'm not sure whether or not Phage is still a councilman. After all, he jumped ship, quite literally, as soon as they escaped GCI headquarters, and what he said makes me think he's retiring. That said, now that it's all under new management, perhaps he'll reconsider.

I just wonder how the Monarch is going to get a new staff of henchmen going. I mean, 21 and 24 restocked the ranks once, but 24 is dead and even if he wasn't, they didn't exactly do the best job in the world. And, who knows if they can just call up the Guild and get some more.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rotten Cookies posted:

Dr. Venture is obviously going to spend his new fortune while in New York trying to get a production together for "Rusty! The Musical!"

With robot fingers~

THEY LINGER

I'M RUSTYYYYYYY~

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, are we sure about this? It seems like they've retconned pretty much all of his accomplishments to be stealing from someone else. What have we actually seen him do on his own? Billy even called him out for his degree being honorary in the special.

We know he perfected the cloning technology and seems to have a working way to get into the afterlife. He just doesn't care enough to make it work.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tarlibone posted:

Mommy Longlegs is definitely dead. Well, as "definitely" as you can ever get in this show, at any rate. Dr. Mrs. the Monarch checked her vitals and everything, and she was abandoned in the halls of the GCI.

I'm not sure whether or not Phage is still a councilman. After all, he jumped ship, quite literally, as soon as they escaped GCI headquarters, and what he said makes me think he's retiring. That said, now that it's all under new management, perhaps he'll reconsider.

I just wonder how the Monarch is going to get a new staff of henchmen going. I mean, 21 and 24 restocked the ranks once, but 24 is dead and even if he wasn't, they didn't exactly do the best job in the world. And, who knows if they can just call up the Guild and get some more.

Since Mommy Longlegs is part of a hivemind, it's definitely possible that one of the others in her hivemind takes her place unless that's totally not how she works or her dying negatively affected the entire hive

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

feedmyleg posted:

What about the joy can that is powered by the heart of a forsaken child!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WALKING EYE

WALKING EYE!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Xelkelvos posted:

Since Mommy Longlegs is part of a hivemind, it's definitely possible that one of the others in her hivemind takes her place unless that's totally not how she works or her dying negatively affected the entire hive

Yeah, a death onscreen means nothing for VB, and it's kind of moot to discuss.

sbaldrick posted:

We know he perfected the cloning technology and seems to have a working way to get into the afterlife. He just doesn't care enough to make it work.

This. Dr. Venture is crippled by depression/laziness, but when he's had to, has shown he's more than competent.

He basically used the clone tanks to "fix" one of the day campers' genetic defects via cloning in about 15 minutes to cover his rear end legally for letting the camper die.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

He created a potion that turns people into fly-human hybrids.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

I wonder if the "successful rusty" from the parallel dimension is just a Rusty with hair implants from a dimension where he inherited sooner/slightly in the future. Comedy option: Rusty used a time travel portal, not a parallel dimension portal without realizing it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

feedmyleg posted:

Venturestein. Even Brock was impressed / shocked. It seems that if it's illegal or evil, Venture can easily do it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

Venturestein. Even Brock was impressed / shocked. It seems that if it's illegal or evil, Venture can easily do it.

Yeah venturestein is probably the best one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It seems that Rusty's scientific ability changes with whatever makes a good story. Usually when he wants to make something it goes horribly awry, and if it works it's something terrible by design.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think Doc's main problem is he's a smart scientist guy in a world that has super scientists. He's smart enough to know things and understand them but not smart enough to do the things that is expected of a scientist in this world, no less a Venture. In a normal world he'd be doing pretty okay at least but the bar is much higher and then there's the expectations from his dad and it all just crushes him down. I really do like the scene in the special when for a moment he is desperate for his own son to acknowledge that he isn't a complete gently caress up that can't do anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had a similar thought about Gary, he's actually kind of a badass, doing a lot of lone wolf super soldier stuff, but he lives in a world where bigger badasses like Brock Samson and Shore Leave exist and completely left behind in a different class.

edit: also as a side note, for initially starting out as just a one-joke sassy gay stereotype, Shore Leave ended up being almost as great if not equally as competent and badass as Brock.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 20, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Other Rusty successes: The personal force field from that one episode that we don't mention in polite company and the oooooo ray from the pilot.

Edit: Of course, the vaccuum boom vroom

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

So it's just that Doc is a great superscientist if he can put his brilliance toward evil, but he's not willing to so he's stuck in mediocrity.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cat Terrist posted:

Man I really hope that Venturestein and Abomi-Nation will have a role to play in season 6, that has to be one of the most brilliantly unique ideas this show has ever come up with(also when you get down to it Venturestein is technically a member of the Venture family, since both he and Doc legitimately seem to consider each other father & son, heck Doc did a better job being a parental figure to Venturestein than 99% of all Dr Frankenstein's did with their creations, which really says something about how bad they were at that)

Also I legitimately doubt that Doc is going to screw up too bad being in charge of JJ's company, if only cause that seems a little too obvious of a plotline to use, seems more likely to me that they'll use this as a chance to explore what'll happen to Doc now that he's finally reached success(I imagine it won't be pretty to see)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate twist of the series is that Rusty has had a higher IQ than Jonas Sr. the entire time, but he was so traumatized, depressed and lazy that he never bothered to exploit it except in very specific circumstances. I mean, remember Alternate Universe Has His poo poo Together Rusty? He was probably just a Rusty that whose dad died young or something and who never developed an inferiority complex.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

So it's just that Doc is a great superscientist if he can put his brilliance toward evil, but he's not willing to so he's stuck in mediocrity.

Well that's the great tragedy introduced in the original Killinger episode: Rusty has all the makings of being a great villain. It's a field where coming up just short is what he's supposed to do anyways and he's filled with such rage and bitterness that it's all a natural fit. The problem is despite how awful of a person he is, he doesn't actually want to be a bad person. He ,for better or worse, just can't take that final step towards eveil but at the same time he can't put in the effort to be as good as he needs to be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Does all the "wanted: rusty venture" stuff from the trailer imply he is framed for the murder of the council members? Is he actually going to try to be a bruce wayne-esque superhero in S6?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Steve Yun posted:

edit: also as a side note, for initially starting out as just a one-joke sassy gay stereotype, Shore Leave ended up being almost as great if not equally as competent and badass as Brock.

They've done this with a ton of one-note background characters (Hatred, Hunter, even St. Cloud to a degree), but Shore Leave is by far my favorite example. The (mental) lightsaber fight just showcased how drat good the animation has gotten on this show.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Steve Yun posted:

I had a similar thought about Gary, he's actually kind of a badass, doing a lot of lone wolf super soldier stuff, but he lives in a world where bigger badasses like Brock Samson and Shore Leave exist and completely left behind in a different class.

My impression is that Gary is he's on at least Shore Leave's level, it's just Brock is on a new level of badass.

Plus it seems Gary's place is the perfect henchman. And he he does seem to be in a class of his own as a hench.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A friend of mine suggested that it's likely that Billy is also a Venture.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Does all the "wanted: rusty venture" stuff from the trailer imply he is framed for the murder of the council members? Is he actually going to try to be a bruce wayne-esque superhero in S6?

He wouldn't really have any reason to go after the new Guild with the current stories. Sure, the Monarch might have destroyed the Venture compound, but he wouldn't give a poo poo after getting that inheritance. The compound was always just a massive reminder of everything his dad did that was now horribly outdated but was still a monument to all of his lack of success in comparison.

Of course that could all change if something the Guild does causes Rusty to lose his new fortune within the first episode. But as of right now, my guess for Rusty donning a mask and killing Guild members will either be a clone/alternate Rusty or have something to do with Jonas Jr controlling his sub conscious while he is asleep.

I'm just excited to see more New York stuff with Spiderman and all of the other possibilities. Plus, with Rusty having money, hopefully we get a full army of Robo-Bos.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Havoc904 posted:

But as of right now, my guess for Rusty donning a mask and killing Guild members will either be a clone/alternate Rusty or have something to do with Jonas Jr controlling his sub conscious while he is asleep.

My money's on it being a one-off gag that has absolutely no impact on the rest of the season.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread, I just watched the special, but where was Pete White? He was in the Prom episode but I don't remember him dying or anything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Sorry if it was answered earlier in the thread, I just watched the special, but where was Pete White? He was in the Prom episode but I don't remember him dying or anything.

He was hangin' out in the background at JJ's funeral.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Anybody know when/if it'll be online? I'd like to watch it again.

e: Oh hey, here it is.

I just got around to watching it and holy moley was that worth waiting for.

On the downside, Adult Swim is blocking the episode on their site outside of the US for copyright reasons. On the plus side, their copyright blocker is so utterly, hilariously crap that I got around it using Ad Blocker.

Anyway, roll on season six! I did feel season five dragged a teeny bit compared to previous seasons, so a change of venue should shake things up nicely.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

On the downside, Adult Swim is blocking the episode on their site outside of the US for copyright reasons.

I watched it on my phone no problem and I live in Quebec. Maybe phones are a blind spot.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Havoc904 posted:

He wouldn't really have any reason to go after the new Guild with the current stories. Sure, the Monarch might have destroyed the Venture compound, but he wouldn't give a poo poo after getting that inheritance. The compound was always just a massive reminder of everything his dad did that was now horribly outdated but was still a monument to all of his lack of success in comparison.

Of course that could all change if something the Guild does causes Rusty to lose his new fortune within the first episode. But as of right now, my guess for Rusty donning a mask and killing Guild members will either be a clone/alternate Rusty or have something to do with Jonas Jr controlling his sub conscious while he is asleep.

I'm just excited to see more New York stuff with Spiderman and all of the other possibilities. Plus, with Rusty having money, hopefully we get a full army of Robo-Bos.

I'll miss the Arachnid Research Wing. There were possibilities there. Awful, awful possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ithaqua posted:

I'll miss the Arachnid Research Wing. There were possibilities there. Awful, awful possibilities.

I can dream that some where, in some untouched corner of the compound the confessed arsonist lives.