Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Sony also sells the "Playstation TV" for $99. Although that $99 is kind of a misnomer as you need a controller and those are sold separately from that SKU.

Amazon has the TV + Dualshock bundle for $99 currently. Not that I'm recommending that really, it's an absurd concept to spend $100 to watch one TV show. I mean, I guess it plays games too, but the good Vita games I know of rely on hardware that the PSTV lacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

KatWithHands posted:

I came here specifically to see if anyone else had watched that. What a terrifying 45 minutes of television. 19-2 has this great use of sound, whether through mood music, a lack of music, or a lack of sound at all. They didn't use any background music until about 36 minutes into the episode, after it had been resolved, and I think that made it seem that much more realistic.

Normally I burn out pretty quick on consistently dark shows, but 19-2 hasn't lost me yet.
I watched it in a theatre, that made the excellent soundwork even more obvious. The shots where it goes mute but you can hear the gunshots through the reactions freak me out every time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonz posted:

State of Affairs is something i've been watching to fill the espionage gap left by The Blacklist's midseason break.

Tonight's episode, at least IMO, caused State of Affairs to go from "Hahahahaha, oh boy. Jeez." to "Ehhhhhhh?". It's actually gotten....better? It's still awful, but now the story is going somewhere and it's on a grander, less terrible scale.
There's gotta be a better option in spy/political action thrillers. Maybe something British? I've seen Spooks but not much else comes to mind.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Something called "Almost Human" on tv... holy poo poo Aceveda has gotten super fat, it's always sad when you see handsome actors become kind of fat like this :(.

The guy from Pirates of the Caribbeans is in this though :allears: Also I'm not sure but I think one of the daughters from 8 Simple Rules is in this.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 21, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Good poo poo coming to Netflix in February. On the first, Spartacus (The Complete Series) and Seasons 1-5 of MASH drops.

Danger 5 (just season 1 I assume) hits on the 6th.

House of Cards S3 rolls on the 27th.

Full list: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movies-coming-netflix-february-764711

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Danger 5! :woop:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Sober posted:

So someone on youtube uploaded all of last night's 19-2 s2 premiere. If you want to be scared as gently caress about guns and stuff, well here ya go.

The long tracking shot starts at 7:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVvrBOvdaI

That's an impressive scene.

The show is a lot like Southland for anyone who hasn't seen it. Worth a watch.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I don't care how many places people find where they cheated and didn't actually do it in one shot, that is a tense as poo poo scene. I *love* long tracking shots like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ditPebZ8g

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kurtofan posted:

Something called "Almost Human" on tv... holy poo poo Aceveda has gotten super fat, it's always sad when you see handsome actors become kind of fat like this :(.

The guy from Pirates of the Caribbeans is in this though :allears: Also I'm not sure but I think one of the daughters from 8 Simple Rules is in this.

Almost human, what a brilliant show cut down in its prime. :(

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mo0 posted:

I don't care how many places people find where they cheated and didn't actually do it in one shot, that is a tense as poo poo scene. I *love* long tracking shots like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ditPebZ8g

I hate long tracking shots, especially for action scenes. The angles are always lovely and you end up with a bunch of small (but noticeable) mistakes in the choreography that nobody wants to correct.

It's a bad gimmick.

That shot from 19-2 is a great example. Because of the refusal to cut, you've got three people who just crawl right towards the gunman with no good explanation as to why.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 21, 2015

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Sober posted:

So someone on youtube uploaded all of last night's 19-2 s2 premiere. If you want to be scared as gently caress about guns and stuff, well here ya go.

Goddamn, that was amazing. I've never seen this show, but I ended up watching the entire episode. Not a fan of police procedurals, but I can't believe they killed the main character, that was a great twist.

JohnSherman posted:

I hate long tracking shots, especially for action scenes. The angles are always lovely and you end up with a bunch of small (but noticeable) mistakes in the choreography that nobody wants to correct.

It's a bad gimmick.

That shot from 19-2 is a great example. Because of the refusal to cut, you've got three people who just crawl right towards the gunman with no good explanation as to why.

They crawled to the hero because he pointed the gun at them and wanted them as hostages. The problem with the shot was the one guy who used the stool as an armrest, trying to get comfortable during a school shooting. :smuggo:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 21, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bown posted:

I really wanna make a thread for Togetherness, but I'm not really all too big on posting in currently ongoing show threads these days. Would it be of interest to anyone else?

Yes, you should make one when they let you back in.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ravane posted:

They crawled to the hero because he pointed the gun at them and wanted them as hostages.

That's the problem though. They sacrificed clarity and coverage, and all they got in return was a fairly dull shot.

This episode of Flashpoint covers a similar situation and does it in a far more interesting way, mostly because cutting allowed them to keep the tension up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUSr7HCxdNY (9:55-11:30 for a short example)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

That's the problem though. They sacrificed clarity and coverage, and all they got in return was a fairly dull shot.

This episode of Flashpoint covers a similar situation and does it in a far more interesting way, mostly because cutting allowed them to keep the tension up.

You could argue the camera isn't supposed to be following the shooter but the first responders POV, which makes the lack of clarity the point that sequence.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Jennifer Garner has way too much money to be on this many commercials.

A celebrity doing commercials is probably the easiest money they can get. And you can never quite have too much money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Still think its goofy that Maria Thayer is going to be on a (mostly) serious cop show.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

That was some Homicide level cop show work right there. Gonna have to add that to the watch list.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, that was absolutely superb from start to finish. Truly gutted that there's no way to see the whole series in the UK.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where there's a will there's a way

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Fair warning, 19-2 isn't actually a gritty cop action show, most of the time it's more of a character drama, with some melodrama/soap-ish stuff attached. But their action stuff is pretty well done nonetheless.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Irish Joe posted:

Jennifer Garner has way too much money to be on this many commercials.

In the 90's, big stars like Schwartzenegger and Bruce Willis got paid a large sum of cash to appear in some random Japanese ads. Ads are perpetually a source of good, easy money that requires little to no work on the part of the celebrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8rSLfwK_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqbqnsoSCs

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Keeping the radio chatter on all the time really gave the whole scene tension and urgency, especially the officer in charge yelling at the cops over and over again to stop helping the wounded and go after the shooter. It's a heartless thing to do both to the wounded kids and the beat cops not really ready to take on a heavily armed killer but it's apparently what police forces are now always instructed to do, don't wait for backup but go in immediately.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Tracking shot fans: You maybe should see Birdman.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Feel free to cross-post this in any relevant threads: Powers is set to premiere on the PlayStation Store on Tuesday, March 10. I'm assuming they'll drop it all at once, but my source is the PS3 news ticker, so I can't confirm either way.

From what I read in one article; three episodes at launch and then weekly.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Fooz posted:

Tracking shot fans: You maybe should see Birdman.

Been meaning to, but haven't gotten the chance yet. :(

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

Fair warning, 19-2 isn't actually a gritty cop action show, most of the time it's more of a character drama, with some melodrama/soap-ish stuff attached. But their action stuff is pretty well done nonetheless.

So...kind of like Homicide, then? :v:

Did anyone watch Wolf Hall last night?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here are some rumored details of the Walking Dead spinoff, said to be titled "Fear the Walking Dead".

quote:

This is not that show, at least not in the pilot script. The intro gives you a swerve, but the infection has not taken hold yet. The “walkers” are not yet known to the population at large, as society stands on the cusp of its own destruction.

And we meet a rather disfunctional family – an older one than Rick’s, here are a mother and a soon-to-be-stepfather, teachers Madison and Travis, and their older teenage children, Alicia and Ian, Travis’ ex Liza and their teenage son Christopher, in a family about to break apart. Drugs, illness, self-harm, set in Los Angeles, this is not so much a nuclear family as a dirty bomb. Rick’s family were torn apart, this family are there from the beginning.

Because the dead are coming, An urban legend, underground, being spread from person to person. It plays the fact tat we, the audience, know far more about what’s going on than anything else does and keeps teasing us toward the inevitable, in much the same way that Gotham does, but in the knowledge that it’s going to be over far sooner.

Hottest take? "Durrr Hope it's Better than the Original, Which Sucks" is taken I'm afraid.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

Here are some rumored details of the Walking Dead spinoff, said to be titled "Fear the Walking Dead".

Hottest take? "Durrr Hope it's Better than the Original, Which Sucks" is taken I'm afraid.

Great, exactly the biggest problem with zombie stories, how in the hell it just comes out of nowhere in a world with smartphones and internet. Only now it'll be "gosh, all these conspiracy nuts talking about zombies are sooo crazy, whoops every single world city is now overrun!"

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

zoux posted:

Sounds like they finally found a way to make AMC's preferred version of the Walking Dead: One without any zombies.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

Great, exactly the biggest problem with zombie stories, how in the hell it just comes out of nowhere in a world with smartphones and internet. Only now it'll be "gosh, all these conspiracy nuts talking about zombies are sooo crazy, whoops every single world city is now overrun!"

The implausibility of showing that is why all zombie stories start off X months after the outbreak.

The Strain kind of handles that differently, but it's a pretty lousy show.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The first episode of The Strain is one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever come across. And I read the old Battletech novels. And TVIV.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Strain might be good if it was made by The Asylum.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

That sounds loving stupid.

I say that well aware that movies like Titanic, if it worked for you, worked for similar reasons.

But that sounds incredibly loving stupid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pentyne posted:

And the Walking Dead style zombies is an instantaneous problem the world over. You can't have rumors and secrets when over a hundred thousand people die natural deaths in the United States every day and all of them become zombies. A Walking Dead outbreak would from zero to everybody's dead in a matter of days.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I look forward to pages upon pages of "here's how this zombie universe is not realistic" discussion in the near future.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
On that note, don't read the AVClub's reviews of Galavant.

E:

:goonsay: posted:

...Don’t get me wrong—there’s plenty of fun to be had with modernity in a Middle-Ages setting, but there’s no logical reason to name a rival knight played by John Stamos in the second episode Sir Jean Hamm, beyond it just being a cheap reference to Mad Men. Stamos’ character doesn’t share any traits with the real-life Hamm or Don Draper, and the moniker is never elaborated upon after his introduction....

...But for every one of these successful bits, there’s a gay joke or a montage of Galavant training for the tournament to a song reminiscent of Survivor’s “Eye Of The Tiger.” The latter scene might actually work if the arrangement was given some kind of Medieval spin—perhaps lyrics written in a Middle English vocabulary or a lute solo in place of a guitar solo. But no, it’s performed with power chords and words that aren’t much crazier than already-existing motivational rock songs. ...

E2: ...To be fair, the land-bound pirates of last week were pretty amusing until they got bogged down by a [one-sentence] cringe-worthy Lilith Fair joke....

:goonsay:

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2015

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lebron James is producing a game show for NBC, and needs contestants.

Another bit of news a little less odd, but something I personally find interesting is that there might be an American version of Pointless.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

Apparently they were contacted by lawyers and told to take some of the stuff down so I guess it's not just rumors. And boy howdy that sure sounds loving awful. It's AMC so you know they're planning on having this thing run for 10+ seasons if they can, so what happens when the outbreak actually happens? Is it just the pilot that's pre-outbreak and then it's just TWD 2.0?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Lebron James is producing a game show for NBC, and needs contestants.

Another bit of news a little less odd, but something I personally find interesting is that there might be an American version of Pointless.

I wonder who they'll get to be the smart guy for an american version. He's my favorite part of the UK version. I hope they don't spend much time talking to the contestants though. That's always dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VDay posted:

Apparently they were contacted by lawyers and told to take some of the stuff down so I guess it's not just rumors. And boy howdy that sure sounds loving awful. It's AMC so you know they're planning on having this thing run for 10+ seasons if they can, so what happens when the outbreak actually happens? Is it just the pilot that's pre-outbreak and then it's just TWD 2.0?

It sounds like they want to do the whole thing as a family drama set just before the collapse of society. Maybe we'll trace the source of the pandemic to a government-funded science project -- it's always a government project -- that's officially called the Mid-level Intrinsic Chlorination Information Network, or Project MIDICHLORIAN

• Locked thread