Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
no it was mossad agent colonel mustard he killd hey and made natashia go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

This podcast hosed up the rep of quite a few people. I think Sarah did a fine job but i think she probably left with a worse rep than she went in with
Oh no won't anyone think of poor Jay. All he did was assist in the attempted cover up of murder! The prosecutor had to play to the jury's prejudices by painting Adnan as some fanatic who could not handle how free American women are! :qq: Yeah, whatever.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Watermelon City posted:

Oh no won't anyone think of poor Jay. All he did was assist in the attempted cover up of murder!

Who committed this murder?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Watermelon City posted:

Oh no won't anyone think of poor Jay. All he did was assist in the attempted cover up of murder! The prosecutor had to play to the jury's prejudices by painting Adnan as some fanatic who could not handle how free American women are! :qq: Yeah, whatever.

Did you even read what he said? lol jesus dude

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Who committed this murder?
Adnan, Jay, someone else. I don't know.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I meant the reps of the people handling the interviews both for serial and whatever that other thing is interstellar or interrabang or whatever but yeah I do think jay was set up by rival dealers who were hired by LensCrafters

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jay should volunteer to go to prison SINCE HE NEVER SERVED A DAY OF TIME!!!!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You'd think he'd be safer from the West Side Hitman in prison.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That lady left some lovely website I'd never heard of for a lovely website I had, so maybe that's a step up.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

She already announced that she's joining Jezebel as their senior writer. Since the Intercept's old EiC is back at Gawker and has already nabbed people from First Look, this could have been in the works for a while.

Hmm... Isn't it funny how something that looks really damning on the surface actually had quite a bit of mitigating nuances?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hmm... Isn't it funny how something that looks really damning on the surface actually had quite a bit of mitigating nuances?

I don't think a writer switching sites is very nuanced.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Watermelon City posted:

An unwilling accomplice after the fact. A terrible thing to do obviously, but there were mitigating circumstances, and it's not like he killed her himself. And I don't see any reason to believe that the jury put Adnan in jail because of an anti-muslim prejudice. The state's case against him seems to have been strong enough on its own without much of that kind of insinuation.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 16, 2015

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I don't think a writer switching sites is very nuanced.

Obviously I mean that it looks like she was pushed out but there's a lot of details that aren't immediately apparent. Was that really not clear?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I just blasted through this podcast this weekend. I love This American Life so I was super into this. But I just don't know what to think. I want to belive Adnan but Jay knew about the car.
gently caress, man.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Spaced God posted:

I just blasted through this podcast this weekend. I love This American Life so I was super into this. But I just don't know what to think. I want to belive Adnan but Jay knew about the car.
gently caress, man.

And Dons dad was a cop, and Some dude said Adnan stole a lot of money from his mosque, and what about jen?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Pillowpants posted:

And Dons dad was a cop, and Some dude said Adnan stole a lot of money from his mosque, and what about jen?

HE'S A MASTERMIND SOCIOPATH!

But mention of Don brings something to mind: How long had he and Hae been going out? I didn't pay attention to this but read someone asserting that it had only been two weeks.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

outlier posted:

HE'S A MASTERMIND SOCIOPATH!

But mention of Don brings something to mind: How long had he and Hae been going out? I didn't pay attention to this but read someone asserting that it had only been two weeks.

13 days. They started on New Years.

(but seriously the car :argh:)

Pillowpants posted:

I don't see a connection between the first two, but I can easily think that Jen might be in cahoots with Jay if there's any conspiracy at all.

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 18, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Someone else who just binged through the podcast, past couple of days here. Where on earth was this Mailchimp/kimp thing I keep seeing y'all referencing? Did they ultimately remove the ad from the episodes?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

VagueRant posted:

Someone else who just binged through the podcast, past couple of days here. Where on earth was this Mailchimp/kimp thing I keep seeing y'all referencing? Did they ultimately remove the ad from the episodes?

Yes they did.

The opening is the original ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OadWQoYzQNQ

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
They removed it!?!?!? What did they replace it with?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

totempoleman posted:

They removed it!?!?!? What did they replace it with?
Audible ads.

I wonder how the contracts work out on this one?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I will forever miss the lady who uses mail chimp.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

CaptainHollywood posted:

Yes they did.

The opening is the original ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OadWQoYzQNQ
Ah, thanks for the info.

Every ep I listened to starts with the theme tune and at the end of the show, after the credits, Sarah does an ad for Audible.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I will forever miss the lady who uses mail chimp.

You will?

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I do!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I can't believe they replaced the mail chimp ad. That poo poo was my jam man.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

quote:

The former classmate of Adnan Syed’s who could hold the key to unraveling his conviction in the murder of Hae Min Lee has written a new affidavit reasserting that she was with Syed at the exact time the state argued that he killed his ex-girlfriend in 1999, and alleging that the original prosecutor in the case essentially convinced her not to participate in the appeals process.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...gn=ShareButtons

You know what, I wish I'd never listened to this stupid podcast.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Kevin Urick makes another appearance!

This is the same guy that asked Don to purger himself at the trial, and was mad that Don did not, and engaged in some odd poo poo surrounding Jay's testimony in the trial.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven't been following any of this post-Serial drama, but this Urick guy seems like a real loving dickwad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So if this Asia letter is credible, all Adnan would have to had remembered when the cops called him is what he was doing literally four hours ago instead of killing Hae. "Oh I talked with Asia and her two friends in the library, then went to get my car and phone back from this guy Jay (who totally isn't my friend.)"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

moths posted:

So if this Asia letter is credible, all Adnan would have to had remembered when the cops called him is what he was doing literally four hours ago instead of killing Hae. "Oh I talked with Asia and her two friends in the library, then went to get my car and phone back from this guy Jay (who totally isn't my friend.)"

According to another witness, he was high as gently caress when he got that call.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shitshow posted:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...gn=ShareButtons

You know what, I wish I'd never listened to this stupid podcast.

Here's a non-blaze link: http://www.splitthemoon.com/perjury-witness-tampering-obstruction-of-justice-and-its-only-tuesday/#more-631

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
They are really grasping for straws. Wonder how much they are paying the girl to lie.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

They are really grasping for straws. Wonder how much they are paying the girl to lie.

That defense fund going to good use.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

African AIDS cum posted:

Doubt they (whoever "they" is) are paying. This case is littered with people who kinda sorta remember something, but it may have been a different day, I've changed my mind, I just remembered ...

And the ensuring 15 years is only going to have exaggerated this effect.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

outlier posted:

Doubt they (whoever "they" is) are paying. This case is littered with people who kinda sorta remember something, but it may have been a different day, I've changed my mind, I just remembered ...

And the ensuring 15 years is only going to have exaggerated this effect.

:rolleyes: Adnan has obviously been using that sweet mosque money to bribe every witness including 80 muslims and Asia McClain.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

And More posted:

:rolleyes: Adnan has obviously been using that sweet mosque money to bribe every witness including 80 muslims and Asia McClain.

Yeah, who knows what you can do with those hundreds of thousands of Islam bux!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Spaced God posted:

Yeah, who knows what you can do with those hundreds of thousands of Islam bux!

Joke's on him, Muslim Bucks are only valid 30 km or less from Mecca

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

moths posted:

Right, instead of telling them he asked her for a ride and then later telling another policeman he didn't.

The most troublesome part for me about chalking up his lack of memory to it being a "normal day" is that getting a call from the police about the disappearance of your ex-girlfriend makes it an extremely not normal day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Dear Sergio posted:

The most troublesome part for me about chalking up his lack of memory to it being a "normal day" is that getting a call from the police about the disappearance of your ex-girlfriend makes it an extremely not normal day.
Alternatively, consider that she had been gone for less than a day at this point.

From the perspective of the future, we know that this disappearance was a very serious situation on account of murders. But it sounds like a lot of the people in Hae's life at the time thought that she might've just hosed off to California.

I imagine the Mystical Police Telephone Call Memory Effect is lessened if you don't think the situation is actually very serious.

• Locked thread