Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

grading essays nude posted:

From 2 pages back, but this is quietly one of the most heartbreaking lines in season 2. The Greek knows what Frank will never realize: that no amount of smuggling can ever allow him to outspend the developers and save the union. :smith:

I don't think that's what this line is. This line is showing the Greek hosed up and hasn't got a clue as to Franks motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Question: in Mission Accomplished, the last episode of S3, Bunny is irked by McNulty when he explained that he showed Avon that Stringer was the CI on the warrant. Bunny says something like "Always cutting corners, Bushy Top."

What's the problem? They both know Avon is locked up and Stringer is dead.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I figured it was in regards to using a dead CI for the warrant...if that'a a thing? Otherwise I have no idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

McNulty guessed that Stringer was the CI, but he had zero proof (at least that he could use) and identified ANOTHER OFFICER'S confidential informant just to get what he wanted. It basically goes against everything the CI system is meant to do, as well as intruding into a fellow officer's case/work (and a superior officer at that), and it's all because McNulty didn't want to jump through the hoops of regulations (and, you know, the actual LAW) and wanted to just shortcut his way to the result he wanted using "common sense" (which is an incredibly dangerous and potentially hazardous/corrupt way to think).

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
McNutty is a gaping rear end in a top hat and the world loves it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite moment is kima going "man, I feel really bad what I did to lester"

McNulty: "You get used to it."

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

_________________________/
The gently caress did I do?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how everyone in this show has HBO :allears:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I just realized what the train tracks represent...

Erectile Dysfunction. Or Impotency.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Impotency.

No, that would be the docks.

:smith:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

McNulty guessed that Stringer was the CI, but he had zero proof (at least that he could use) and identified ANOTHER OFFICER'S confidential informant just to get what he wanted. It basically goes against everything the CI system is meant to do, as well as intruding into a fellow officer's case/work (and a superior officer at that), and it's all because McNulty didn't want to jump through the hoops of regulations (and, you know, the actual LAW) and wanted to just shortcut his way to the result he wanted using "common sense" (which is an incredibly dangerous and potentially hazardous/corrupt way to think).

Don't they have Bell's wiretap showing that he called the Western? I recall this being of of McNulty's lesser transgressions, mostly because the rest of the unit (including Daniels) agrees to it without much fuss.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hah David Simon's commentaries are great.

IT'S ABOUT THE WAR IN IRAQ, HOW COME YOU DON'T GET THIS?!?!?

But seriously, him being a tease about the railway in the commentary is pretty great.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

LordPants posted:

But seriously, him being a tease about the railway in the commentary is pretty great.

Anybody got the goods on the railroad track thing? I refuse to take "an explanation would ruin it" for an answer.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

McNerd posted:

Anybody got the goods on the railroad track thing? I refuse to take "an explanation would ruin it" for an answer.
This is what the head sound editor of the series had to say about trains:

quote:

I have a fondness for trains. I grew up in a place where the Erie, Pennsylvania, and Reading lines all ran. I love the sound of them. So it was an easy emotional marker to pick up on after the first scene of McNulty and Bunk drinking on the tracks.
They're on the tracks because it's safe. It's safe because the train is parked for the night. And they're frustrated. Because they aren't getting where they want to be. So yes - absolutely - the sound of a train then became in my mind a sort of indicator of "things set in motion" as you said! Well done!
See, without the music, we played with everyday diegetic sounds that could evoke emotion. We had a pallet of them.
Sirens - to remind you that no one is safe.
Helicopters - to remind you that someone is watching.
Dogs - when something disrupts the equilibrium of a place. In particular, when McNulty was "being a dog" (womanizer). The other dogs would react to him on their turf.
Trains - when things were set in motion. Or conversely, when someone was not where they wanted to be (as in "missed the train," or Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues")
There were probably others, for sure. But those were my main go-to's.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

McNerd posted:

In that episode, in season 3 the train isn't heading in their direction (in fact it's stopped), which makes me think it's probably just a metaphor for McNulty and the police force because McNulty's on his last case and isn't trying to gently caress things up, unlike in season one where he's deliberately pissing people off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tastychicken posted:

McNutty is a gaping rear end in a top hat and the world loves it.

"These are for you"

That's a great line to use with your buddies if they've seen the show.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

grading essays nude posted:

In Canada, they only aired the HD remaster on Bravo for a bit. I couldn't stand the commercial breaks and I'm not sure if they're still airing it. But all the talk somehow has me doing what has to be like a 12th rewatch, about to start Season 2.

I genuinely cannot imagine a version of The Wire with commercial breaks. It always seemed like such an impossible show to syndicate.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dangerous Person posted:

I genuinely cannot imagine a version of The Wire with commercial breaks. It always seemed like such an impossible show to syndicate.

They used to show it on BET. With most of the stevedores storyline cut.:laugh:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man I could watch a season of nothing but Valchek getting pictures of his surveillance van from various places around the world. Shame about the rest of season 2 :hehe:

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Red Crown posted:

Don't know - not Butch, Butch's muscle. You first see him when he gears Omar up for a shivvin' in jail.He's killed when Omar raids the 5th floor apartment.

Art imitates life or???

From the Wikipedia. I had no idea.

Whoa, I didn't know about the real Ed Norris. One of the things he got popped for was the same thing they use to scare Clay Davis into giving up Levy and the leak in the courthouse aka the head shot.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Red Crown posted:

The scene where Chris realizes why Michael wants Bug's dad murdered is amazing, because it only takes one brief shot to make the audience understand exactly where Chris is coming from. Chris has a family who he misses and wants to keep safe. For someone with relatively few lines and comparatively simple dialogue, Chris is a fantastic character. I love this show.

What? This is Chris's motivation for defending and sympathising with Michael? I thought it was very clear that Chris is himself a victim of child abuse of some kind, if not outright rape.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Keeping family safe might have been his motivation for dealing with the problem in the first place, but it certainly wasn't his motivation for beating the guy to death with his bare hands before even getting him into the vacant.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What? This is Chris's motivation for defending and sympathising with Michael? I thought it was very clear that Chris is himself a victim of child abuse of some kind, if not outright rape.

I think those were separate points both demonstrating Chris's humanity. That poster left the abuse victim part implied and went on to another example.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Looking back at my post, it's unclear - I meant Chris' motivation for being a hitman for a drug lord to begin with, as opposed to Snoop, who just seems to kind of enjoy it. I'm just kind of rambling on how much I like the actor :swoon:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Ah, I see. Where is it mentioned that Chris has a family? I sounds right to me, but I can't remember when or how it's brought up in the show.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Ah, I see. Where is it mentioned that Chris has a family? I sounds right to me, but I can't remember when or how it's brought up in the show.

I forget if he hides them or just tells them he's gonna be away for awhile, but it's after they kill butchie and he's worried about omar coming back on him.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

When they go to war with Omar, they have him stop by before-hand. Also, he mentions that he has to go underground so Omar won't get to his people. Marlo explicitly uses the term "your people" at one point. It's season 5 after killing Butchie, I think.

e:f;b

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
And when Chris is low over something or another, Snoop suggests buying a bunch of toys for his kids.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
IIRC Marlo says something to Levy to the effect of: As long as we take care of his people, he is rock solid.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Here's a new interview/profile of David Simon, who's developing a miniseries for HBO starring Oscar Isaac called "Show Me A Hero", the real story of the young mayor of Yonkers struggling to desegregate the city in the 80s. Looks great, classic Simon stuff. http://grantland.com/features/david-simon-show-me-a-hero-hbo-the-wire-treme/

He also apparently has several shows he's pitched to HBO already with multiseason "show bibles" and multiple scripts that are in development hell:\

quote:

There was a partial adaptation of Taylor Branch’s massive civil-rights trilogy America in the King Years. A collaboration with George Pelecanos on Times Square in the ’70s and ’80s. A “very careful treatment” of the CIA from 1945 to 2001, written with his Wire buddy Ed Burns. And a telling of the Lincoln assassination with “crackling” scripts that “avoided the marble men of Lincoln and Booth who have been written to death” and functioned “as a sort of post-9/11 allegory.” He describes it as a “traumatizing act of terror” followed by “paranoia and military trials with indefinite detention … the smell of rendition in Guantanamo and overreach and wartime fear.”

Except for the Lincoln project, all are technically still alive, if stuck in some lower rung of development hell. Go ahead and unrequitedly pine.

The first one is a bit ironic because HBO once had to choose between a Branch miniseries or The Corner and decided on the latter because it was an "only on HBO" type of thing, and the rest is history. The CIA one sounds the most interesting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Lincoln one sounds pretty great too.

I'd probably watch all of them, to be honest.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'd really like that CIA thing. :stare:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The Lincoln one sounds pretty great too.

It was the best show ever made in this alternate universe: http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-secret-history.html

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
At the end of season 3, after they get up on Stringer's cell, they catch this conversation...

Someone: One other thing, those two hitters you asked about? They good with it.
Stringer: Not on the phone, man.

and pretty much start jizzing all over the room, saying they caught him. What the gently caress kind of evidence is that? Of course they're talking about a murder, but I can't imagine that weak poo poo would stand up in a courtroom.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kevyn posted:

At the end of season 3, after they get up on Stringer's cell, they catch this conversation...

Someone: One other thing, those two hitters you asked about? They good with it.
Stringer: Not on the phone, man.

and pretty much start jizzing all over the room, saying they caught him. What the gently caress kind of evidence is that? Of course they're talking about a murder, but I can't imagine that weak poo poo would stand up in a courtroom.

Conspiracy. Think back to season 1 when Freamon tells Prez to mark a call between Stinkum and Bodie pertinent even though they don't mention drugs, just the whole "don't use names on the phone" bit.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Who was Stringer actually arranging to have hit?

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Conspiracy. Think back to season 1 when Freamon tells Prez to mark a call between Stinkum and Bodie pertinent even though they don't mention drugs, just the whole "don't use names on the phone" bit.

So if Stringer was a little bit smarter, instead of saying "not on the phone" he should just always end a call like that by saying "I have to go"?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It also seemed weird to me that the team made a big deal about learning that pager code 07 was Wee-bay, since Omar knew that and could have told them.

This was awesome and if I hadn't read your post I might not have figured out it wasn't real. What is that blog?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 27, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

bucketybuck posted:

So if Stringer was a little bit smarter, instead of saying "not on the phone" he should just always end a call like that by saying "I have to go"?
just yelling "yo close the door" down the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It also seemed weird to me that the team made a big deal about learning that pager code 07 was Wee-bay, since Omar knew that and could have told them.

Didn't Omar get that info from reading the details wall charts?