Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

RoverDude posted:

A few did - basically the really large manufacturing ones, and this guy because it has a twelve Kerbal capacity and I didn't want to make another model just yet.

So just over half have MKS or OKS variants, and the other three use the 3.75m variant you see here.

It's just that the 'mobile' modules aren't especially mobile, they weight more, cost like 10x (the research unlock cost is something crazy like 100k+ funds) and are huge in comparison to the old MKS modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also find them extremely awkward to use, I would honestly prefer the MKII style parts for them. Especially as all the 3.75m parts require a third tier R&D building.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Yeah, I'd really love a mobile set that's like, a really mobile tier that can only keep like two kerbals stocked or something, that you can use for like small rover bases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd be happy with something that fits together with other parts better, or which you can easily land. It mounts onto the stack one way but is designed to land another way,, makes it rather awkward to put landing systems onto because they throw the rocket off balance.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

OwlFancier posted:

I also find them extremely awkward to use, I would honestly prefer the MKII style parts for them. Especially as all the 3.75m parts require a third tier R&D building.

Being able to tweakscale them would be a good start, assuming the crew size scales?

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

The Mk3 modules do make an awesome crawler, though. Especially with the tank tracks mod.

Roverdude: While we're griping there's something fishy with their collision models - they fall through the launchpad and other components sometimes glitch and snap violently off when surface attached to them.

And another nitpick: what's with the price of the 2.5m white storage tank? Surely 247k funds empty is a bit much... even if it says "exorbitant markup" on the box.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rmdx posted:

And another nitpick: what's with the price of the 2.5m white storage tank? Surely 247k funds empty is a bit much... even if it says "exorbitant markup" on the box.

It depends what you switch it to, if you switch it to say rare metals/minerals, and empty it, it will probably give you a million bucks. It's kind of buggy in general because of the backwards-rear end way KSP handles pricing for items with resources in them.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

rmdx posted:

The Mk3 modules do make an awesome crawler, though. Especially with the tank tracks mod.

Roverdude: While we're griping there's something fishy with their collision models - they fall through the launchpad and other components sometimes glitch and snap violently off when surface attached to them.

You can do your self sufficient base except for spare parts easily with the MK-II/OKS parts (by design. They are ideal bootstrapping modules. But to actually manufacture stuff you need a lot of space, hence the larger (and yes, a bit awkward) MK-III modules. This is the tradeoff in that they are punchcard free, and require no efficiency parts (i.e. domes, rings, etc.) you would normally need for manufacturing.

That being said, I'm not opposed to making versions that end up requiring the parts assortment because at the end of the day the footprint would be similar. Tweakscale would not be an option because they are - by design - that scale. and heavy. and expensive. But they are also your final tier.

RE landing - they are meant to be landed horizontally - that being said, I will probably create some modules to better facilitate them being launched vertically.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Apoffys posted:

It's much easier now if you've got Mechjeb, because it has an advanced transfer function in the maneuver planner that lets you see all possible transfer maneuvers in the next few years and compare delta-V cost, transit time and how long you have to wait until the transfer window. Transfers still take ages, but at least you can choose to compromise on fuel cost vs time spent rather than waiting for the perfect (fuel-wise) transfer window.

Well that's what I was kind of getting at in that a visualization of when a window is open should be incorporated into the base game.

Or build it into an update of the observatory/tracking station. Have it observe a planet for a bit (like asteroids) and then it'll start spitting out the next transfer opportunity.

I think at one point there was talk of including something like discovery of the planets into the base game. The planets would be known of initially but not their orbits. With progression coming into the game, you could use the different upgrades to reveal the motions of the planets, the moons of other planets and their motions, and finally transfer windows/calculations to get there.

Oberleutnant posted:

Alternatively you could install the alarm clock mod and go do other stuff in the meantime? I tend to warp through 20 days or so for an average minmus mission, so I putz around in the Krbin system running various errands until something pings to tell me my probe is at Duna or whatever.

Splicer posted:

Came back to the thread to post exactly this.

Yeah, KAC is always the last thing I remember to install. Another item that should be in the base game once you get to exploring the solar system.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

What's the current state of KSP Interstellar? Is there a version that plays nice with RoverDude's stuff yet?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It would also really be nice if stuff like Engineer or Trajectories were incorporated into the main game but tied to research, like Trajectories could be more accurate the more gravitational/atmospheric studies you did on a planet but at first it would give you jack poo poo for accuracy until you went out and experimented, or the engineer could get more robust the further up the electronics tree you went. It would be a nice compromise between flying by feel and building up to flying by numbers.

Another nice thing would be requiring your first orbit to be done without SAS :getin:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Does it still rely on the less accurate simplified circular and co-planar model?
Normal transfer does, but advanced transfer can pretty reliably plot a direct intercept except when going between the Joolian moons.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Control Volume posted:

It would also really be nice if stuff like Engineer or Trajectories were incorporated into the main game but tied to research, like Trajectories could be more accurate the more gravitational/atmospheric studies you did on a planet but at first it would give you jack poo poo for accuracy until you went out and experimented, or the engineer could get more robust the further up the electronics tree you went. It would be a nice compromise between flying by feel and building up to flying by numbers.

Another nice thing would be requiring your first orbit to be done without SAS :getin:

I like Trajectories a lot, but it isn't very accurate for me with FAR (Trajectories explicitly states it can work with FAR, and it auto-detects it for you). It always underestimates speed loss in Kerbin's atmosphere, so my actual landing sites are very far short of where it predicts. It also causes the aerobraking trajectories to be predicted as much larger than reality. In fact, a lot of the times a projected aerobrake will actually end up resulting in a landing.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Found the solution to doing my Planetes style EVA deorbiting games.
Solution: have a Universal storage container filled with M2 radial chutes on the space-buggy. Rendezvous with the junk, attach and manually arm the chutes on EVA, then grab the debris with the claw, make a deorbit adjustment and release. If I'm lucky I'll be able to recover some of this stuff even with deadly re-entry. :getin:

e: if I carry pipe end points I'll be able to siphon unused fuel out before deorbiting too, which I think influences temperature tolerances in deadly re-entry?

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 20, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oberleutnant posted:

Rendezvous with the junk, attach and manually arm the chutes on EVA, then grab the debris with the claw, make a deorbit adjustment and release. If I'm lucky I'll be able to recover some of this stuff even with deadly re-entry. :getin:

e: if I carry pipe end points I'll be able to siphon unused fuel out before deorbiting too, which I think influences temperature tolerances in deadly re-entry?

Unless you have a mod that changes this, you transfer fuel through a Klaw connection.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
My viewpoint and/or where the ship is placed in the VAB has gotten messed up, how do I fix it? The camera rotates around a specific point in the middle of the VAB, but my ship isn't anywhere near the center and I can't get it back there. The ship is basically stuck on the edges of the VAB (and spawns on or outside the edge of the launch pad) because I can't find a way to move it away/towards the camera, only around the camera. No matter how I try to drag the ship around and what angle I look at it from, I can't get it back to the center of the VAB.

Even weirder, I can't take a screenshot of it, because the screenshots look nothing like what I'm actually seeing on the screen.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Unless you have a mod that changes this, you transfer fuel through a Klaw connection.
Ah, of course!

Now all that's missing is some kind of EVA blowtorch or whatever to disassemble stacked parts.
That really should exist for a multitude of reasons.

Apoffys posted:

My viewpoint and/or where the ship is placed in the VAB has gotten messed up, how do I fix it? The camera rotates around a specific point in the middle of the VAB, but my ship isn't anywhere near the center and I can't get it back there. The ship is basically stuck on the edges of the VAB (and spawns on or outside the edge of the launch pad) because I can't find a way to move it away/towards the camera, only around the camera. No matter how I try to drag the ship around and what angle I look at it from, I can't get it back to the center of the VAB.

Even weirder, I can't take a screenshot of it, because the screenshots look nothing like what I'm actually seeing on the screen.

Middle mouse drag? That changes the focal point of the camera.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Apoffys posted:

If you have editor extensions, press space.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Middle mouse drag? That changes the focal point of the camera.

All that does is zoom the camera in/out for me. I was able to fix it by loading it in the SPH, which lets me move the camera with the right mouse button while holding shift (which does nothing in the VAB), move the ship to the center of the SPH, save and reload in the VAB.

Lord Yod posted:

If you have editor extensions, press space.

I don't, but I'll have to install it.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Lord Yod posted:

What's the current state of KSP Interstellar? Is there a version that plays nice with RoverDude's stuff yet?

It's a train wreck. Fractal is AWOL , KSPI-L is also out of date. A compatability pack exists, another user is handling bug fixes etc. (Which will likely be thrown in the trash when fractal comes back).

In short it is about as stable as a third world government.

There are imo two paths to dig KSPI out of irrelevance. Either someone picks up where fractal left off and sticks with it (and by someone I mean not me), or it gets reinvented.

Open offer. If anyone with the proper science background willing to do the legwork on research wants to collaborate and build a full on replacement, hit me up.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Apoffys posted:

It's much easier now if you've got Mechjeb, because it has an advanced transfer function in the maneuver planner that lets you see all possible transfer maneuvers in the next few years and compare delta-V cost, transit time and how long you have to wait until the transfer window. Transfers still take ages, but at least you can choose to compromise on fuel cost vs time spent rather than waiting for the perfect (fuel-wise) transfer window.

Speaking of which, has everyone been able to use these effectively? I've been using it to set up transfers that are a long ways away, and setting an alarm for the node on alarm clock. But once I warp to around the time of the maneuver, the delta v all of the sudden changes dramatically, or the transfer just plain doesn't work. I've also noticed some of them are at odd inclinations relative to the ecliptic, but that might just be the way to pull a given transfer off I guess.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I've only used it a few times, but it's worked perfectly every time. Pick a transfer, create maneuver node, set KAC to alert me a few hours before the node and time-warp to the alert, execute node. Had to make some minor adjustments on the way to get the right intercept, but it was fairly close.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I threw in MKS and USI (they are different aren't they, its all very confusing) with CKAN and I'm at the stage where I'm ready to move on from Kerbin orbit and visit the moons, do stations and so on. Is there any particular interface I should be seeing in the toolbar or whatever so I can make proper guesstimates about necessary materials so my dudes don't suffocate/starve/dehydrate en-route?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Synnr posted:

I threw in MKS and USI (they are different aren't they, its all very confusing) with CKAN and I'm at the stage where I'm ready to move on from Kerbin orbit and visit the moons, do stations and so on. Is there any particular interface I should be seeing in the toolbar or whatever so I can make proper guesstimates about necessary materials so my dudes don't suffocate/starve/dehydrate en-route?

each part says how many kerbals it can support, so take the orbital parts, I think it says 10 kerbals.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

stuart scott posted:

Speaking of which, has everyone been able to use these effectively? I've been using it to set up transfers that are a long ways away, and setting an alarm for the node on alarm clock. But once I warp to around the time of the maneuver, the delta v all of the sudden changes dramatically, or the transfer just plain doesn't work. I've also noticed some of them are at odd inclinations relative to the ecliptic, but that might just be the way to pull a given transfer off I guess.

Did your ship pass into a different Sphere of Influence while warping? That'll bugger things up nicely.

Also, instead of MechJeb you can also use Transfer Window Planner.

Mainly planned to post another +1 for Kerbal Alarm Clock.

Yes, I know I could have used the SOI button to automatically set an alarm for that. Now.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 20, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Duodecimal posted:

Did your ship pass into a different Sphere of Influence while warping? That'll bugger things up nicely.

Also, instead of MechJeb you can also use Transfer Window Planner.

Mainly planned to post another +1 for Kerbal Alarm Clock.

Yes, I know I could have used the SOI button to automatically set an alarm for that. Now.

:allears: I really need to name more rockets Upgoer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FuSchnick posted:

I like Trajectories a lot, but it isn't very accurate for me with FAR (Trajectories explicitly states it can work with FAR, and it auto-detects it for you). It always underestimates speed loss in Kerbin's atmosphere, so my actual landing sites are very far short of where it predicts. It also causes the aerobraking trajectories to be predicted as much larger than reality. In fact, a lot of the times a projected aerobrake will actually end up resulting in a landing.
Remember that with FAR the drag on your ship isn't constant, it depends on your angle of attack. I'm not sure how Trajectories does it, if it uses your lowest drag value or the drag at your current AoA.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Did you photoshop Jeb, Bill, and Bob, or are the former two just naturally entranced by the limpdong rocket?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

This owns

Not quite as maneuverable as I'd like, so might add another ring of RCS thrusters near the front. I also put in an extendable ladder that would project out from the top of the claw, so a kerb could hang on while working (the parachutes make EVA rcs controls somewhat unbalanced, so there's always a risk of spinning off), but grabbing the ladder makes him drop the chute, so that's a bummer. Also getting off the ladder sent my dude spinning off into oblivion, so probably need to adjust the placement slightly.

Experiments with de-orbiting debris with attached parachutes was also a success, so there's kerb-bucks to be made with this.

Dv on the rover is about 1,500, which I think should be enough for intercepting most debris from my orbital station, though I'd prefer it to be closer to 2,000. Haven't done any trials of covering long distances yet, just threw this into orbit to check all the main systems.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 21, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
How did I only just find out that The Klaw can do resource transfers?

Thanks to all that posted about that, I have a way of recovering some stranded vessels. I've been terrified of trying KAS pipes in orbit again after what happened last time. Ie Rapid unplanned disassembly of both vessels. They just kind of fell apart completely. The same way that spaceplanes were doing on the runway before 0.90 for me. Like badly assembled Lego.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BMS posted:

Did you photoshop Jeb, Bill, and Bob, or are the former two just naturally entranced by the limpdong rocket?
No photoshop. I guess Jeb and Bill finally have some second thoughts, and Bob's just like "Welp this is it, this is how we die."

Actually I didn't even notice their faces until someone else pointed it out.

In defense of the design, I was trying to lift a Station Science lab to orbit but hadn't unlocked any 2.5m engines or any larger 2.5m tanks yet.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Normal transfer does, but advanced transfer can pretty reliably plot a direct intercept except when going between the Joolian moons.

Hold on, we might not be talking about the same thing. I mean: many window calculator tools find their windows and delta-v figures via calculations derived from a simplified model of the system, one in which all orbits are circular and co-planar. As such, the delta-v reported is sometimes less than actually required due to difference in plane and argument of periapsis.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

In defense of the design, I was trying to lift a Station Science lab to orbit but hadn't unlocked any 2.5m engines or any larger 2.5m tanks yet.

That design is fine, look at the Russian proton rocket. Same design. Move your bottom most radial tanks up about three quarters of the way so the floppy poo poo is hanging from the engines rather than supporting a bunch of weight

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Nalesh posted:

each part says how many kerbals it can support, so take the orbital parts, I think it says 10 kerbals.

Wait, like it has built-in support already? Then what is the point of the oxygen/water/etc storage and generation?

Also as an aside I can't remember which it was, but was it Interstellar that had the beamed microwave energy stuff? I really wish I had something like that for ion engine arrays and general boosting later on.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

That's what I mean, the generators can only keep a max number of kerbals stocked per part, so your station is only as sustainable as your lowest number part.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
From the devnotes:

Romfarer posted:

We already have a list of design concerns in the works but we are always looking for suggestions. So what are the things you “always” forget about when designing a vessel?

delta-veeeeeeeeee
    /
:ghost:

Hey, you asked.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After that other poster said he watched PlanetES after I suggested he watch PlanetES, I decided to re-watch PlanetES (last viewing was in 2004-5 via fansubbed groups, when I was still in high school), and I'm really digging it [again]. It makes me wish for customized EVA suits, though. Was there a good mod for something like that?

Also, it was a few pages back, but somebody mentioned a mod for tiny grappling claws?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I made my first interplanetary manned vessel! The thing just has a landing can and some RCS thrusters on top, and underneath it there's a nuclear stage, a skipper stage, and four mainsails as boosters. It'll get the kerbs there, but will it get them back?!

Here we go! :jeb:

Oh hi, Duna!

Starting to see terrain!

That atmosphere sure looks thin!

Why aren't the chutes deploying

Oh there they are

:jebstare:

Well, good luck Bill! You get to be contestant #2!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Duna landings kinda need to be power-assisted, parachutes don't do much except make sure you come straight down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

EightBit posted:

Duna landings kinda need to be power-assisted, parachutes don't do much except make sure you come straight down.
Either that or you need to really overload it on the chutes. I was able to slow a 45t Duna base to 9 m/s or so by having 14 radial chutes and 3 big main ones. That said, I did have to use some engine power to soften it just a bit more.