Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Drifter posted:

Also, Free for a year before paying for it just means that that first free year will be very lovely and filled with bugs and other issues like all OSs are, anyway. Why even bother? A big resounding meh.

Yeah, that's what I said, too, when Win7 came out. It was new and buggy and a pain in the butt so I said gently caress it.

And wound up stuck with Vista for another 3 years :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

That has never been a problem before, and releasing Windows 9 would not have created it all of a sudden. More to the point, it's not a segment that is in any way relevant to Microsoft — they're scared of the enterprise customers who have some mangled script-kiddie java hack running their legacy systems. Those devs have not gone out of business. It's just the enterprises being lazy.
It's never been a problem before because they've always taken pains during their development process to maintain backwards compatibility. This is an instance of that. Good work microsoft.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RadicalR posted:

Wait, I'm confused. So they are going to charge per year now?

Actually, it seems I may have misunderstood their announcement. It actually looks like for a 365 day window, they are giving the Win10 OS for free to owners of win7 & win8.

Huh. I'm not sure what to think of that given the limited information, but that sounds pretty awesome.

I may sign up to get the offer and just hold off on installing win10 for a year or two if that's the case.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 21, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akoogly Eyes posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282900/

Hyperdimension Neptunia in one week, are you ready? :getin: :animes: :hellyeah:

It's been a while since I've seen that av

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Akoogly Eyes posted:

I'm looking forward to it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

monny posted:

One more: NaissanceE

Haven't played it yet, but it looks p.cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN5zri5TmPU

Did you like hopping around caves in Minecraft? The game's basically that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I know that Windows is a really exciting subject and all but Ziggurat is the daily deal at half off and oh my God everyone should get it. If you've missed me gushing about it before it's an FPS version of Binding of Isaac with Hexen stylings. There's a shitload of character classes, weapons, and perks to unlock as you play, and the combat is varied and challenging.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

awesmoe posted:

It's never been a problem before because they've always taken pains during their development process to maintain backwards compatibility. This is an instance of that. Good work microsoft.

No, it has never been a problem before because it has always been possible to run VMs or translation layers. Any badly made game I want to play on a modern OS, where the devs have gone out of business and can't address their programming errors, I can play anyway because it is has a VM-like wrapper or because it has been ported to a new engine. What we have win Win10-rather-than-Win9 is an instance of catering to program errors that should not exist, and is continues a very bad methodology that ensures that the developers are rewarded for their incompetence and therefore never learn to code properly.

The pains they've taken to maintain backwards compatibility have largely been pointless since it has actually not made much difference — they new OS is doing the right thing, and the lovely developer is abusing bugs in the old ones to make it do stuff it shouldn't have done to begin with. Retaining those bugs for “compatibility reasons” is nothing short of idiotic. The correct method is to fix the buggy code. If it can't be fixed, it's time to can the whole thing because it is inherently unsafe crap. Hell, a lot of times, the supposed backwards compatibility simply does not work because that's was never where the problem was.

Again, UAC is the perfect example: third-party developers were so massively incompetent that their programs couldn't work in a safe environment, and Microsoft got blamed for that. Meanwhile, properly programmed stuff had zero issues.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Some people say that the weapons have no oomph but I think that only pretains to the lovely wand and some early spells in Ziggurat.

Buy Ziggurat. loving buy it. It is easily the best FPSer Rogue-lite game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

monny posted:

One more: NaissanceE

Haven't played it yet, but it looks p.cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN5zri5TmPU

I wrote this one up in the Xmas sale thread:

quote:

Okay, so... Do you remember the feeling you got when you saw the strange, grand architecture of Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back? Or the impossibly huge geometry of V'ger in Star Trek: The Motion Picture? Or the cityscape in Blade Runner? Well, NaissanceE will bring back that feeling with incredible intensity.

No other game does grand environments like this, I promise you. It's mind-bogglingly huge and familiar and alien all at once, and when you start moving around it you realize that yes, you can get to that bright point on the horizon, it's not just scenery. It's a linear game but the city-type environments are surprisingly open, with optional paths to find here and there. The sound design does an amazing job of supporting the atmosphere, bouncing you between slack-jawed wonder and a creeping unease.

The catch is that's only about half the game.

The other half is split between claustrophobic halls and cubist nightmares. There are a lot of surreal, nonsensical rooms to run through that don't really mesh all that well with the cityscapes they break up. Chapters 5 and 6 (the game is broken into seamless Half-Life-style chapters) seem to double down on the weirdness, which was a little disappointing because of how much I enjoyed the city bits. The puzzles are also rather hit or miss, generally being rather easy and not very clever. I will say that there are some jumping puzzles in Chapter 4 that were pretty frustrating in how little sense they made, and an eye-searing puzzle in Chapter 5 that almost made me quit the game entirely.

I haven't finished it yet after 2 hours of play and I'm not sure how close I am to the end, but if there's a story I'm not following it. Whatever's going on is more subtle or obscured than, say, the story in Kairo and that's saying something. I honestly think the atmosphere is good enough to justify the purchase, but be aware there are more than a few flaws.

EDIT: Just finished it past the 3 hour mark. The second-to-last chapter is pretty interesting and very wide open. It makes me think there's even more to find in the game, though there's no real payoff for exploration besides seeing what other weirdness the world contains. The last chapter is a little frustrating until you figure out what it wants you to do and the ending is pretty blah. I think there's something deep going on with the story but I haven't picked up on it. I just feel like there's something there.

On the whole it was a good 3 hours and I could see myself replaying it sometime (now that I know how all the most annoying parts work) to poke around and find details I missed.

I wouldn't recommend it for full price, but it's a pretty cool experience and unlike most walking sims I plan on replaying it eventually.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Isn't this the one where every character is a game console?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
And how bad is it?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You might have to ask Futa I've never played it

[savage burn on the best steam thread poster Futa]

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Mutation posted:

Some people say that the weapons have no oomph but I think that only pretains to the lovely wand and some early spells in Ziggurat.

Buy Ziggurat. loving buy it. It is easily the best FPSer Rogue-lite game.

Agreed. Buy this. The classes range from vanilla to slightly different from vanilla to extremely different. The weapons past the ones you start with unlocked get very interesting quickly, such as the Power of Heart (doofy staff that flings rainbow bouncing rings everywhere, very powerful with a few fire rate perks) or the Dark Cannon (fires long-lasting black holes). Perks range from simple health/mana increases to halving Max HP, but making health potions heal +250% more to making you invulnerable for 30 seconds in the next fight.

I do wish the game was more specific with perk changes (severe lack of visible numbers), but otherwise the game is really varied and you can really get good at it despite the wrath of the RNG when it comes to available perks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Looks pretty cool

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Syberia: 4WLCF-CNP9Q-XVCVP
Syberia 2: MKXHC-3PE3A-G8HGN
Overlord: ILR73-DYT49-EJYR2
Overlord Raising Hell: 5J2H2-52BXJ-VWA9F
Overlord II: DX4WV-2GZH5-R4IHJ
Rise of the Argonauts: 0J07F-N648G-EGFRZ

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Terminally Bored posted:

And how bad is it?

The game that's going on Steam is Rebirth, which is a remake of the first game; apparently the original is considered one of the worst jrpgs on the PS3. So, er, it's probably going to be held back by some design decisions to say the least.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

Looks pretty cool

Please tell me this is the Xbox one

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Looks interesting, thank you!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Zombie Samurai posted:

I know that Windows is a really exciting subject and all but Ziggurat is the daily deal at half off and oh my God everyone should get it. If you've missed me gushing about it before it's an FPS version of Binding of Isaac with Hexen stylings. There's a shitload of character classes, weapons, and perks to unlock as you play, and the combat is varied and challenging.

Listen to this post. If you want a FPS roguelite, Ziggurat and Tower of Guns are the only two worth it at the moment. I recently beat the end boss of Ziggurat for the first and man it was some good video game times.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyshall posted:

Syberia: 4WLCF-CNP9Q-XVCVP
Syberia 2: MKXHC-3PE3A-G8HGN
Overlord: ILR73-DYT49-EJYR2
Overlord Raising Hell: 5J2H2-52BXJ-VWA9F
Overlord II: DX4WV-2GZH5-R4IHJ

I had no idea Syberia 2 was even a thing. I loved Syberia 1.

Thank you. Looking forward to checking it out.

IS it any good?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I am still on W7 and if Windows10 is indeed solid I might just upgrade.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
And what is a nepped animal?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
From what I understand the Hyperdimension Neptunia games are for the most part decent after the first one if you like their zany style, but obviously they're highly fanservicey and extremely anime so it should provide more exciting and stimulating discussion in the Something Awful Steam Thread and that's what really matters.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 21, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zedd posted:

I've been using the tech preview on my netbook. W10:W8::W7:Vista

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drifter posted:

I had no idea Syberia 2 was even a thing. I loved Syberia 1.

Thank you. Looking forward to checking it out.

IS it any good?

It's not absolutely terrible or anything, but it's nowhere near as rich as Syberia 1 was.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zedd posted:

Win10 is essentially Win8 done right (i.e. without the schizoid UI, and with some fancy new frills), in much the same way as Win7 was Vista done right. As a free update, it is poised to pretty much be a no-brained for everyone who's eligible.

I get the distinct feeling that MS is trying to do an Apple here, and really force strongly encourage a huge consolidation of the OS version ecosystem so they can start to introduction new functionality and drop legacy junk at an increased rate without anyone being left behind.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr E posted:

Windows 8.1 is pretty great, if 10 is like that then it'll be a good OS.

I know this was a page ago, but Windows 8.1 is good until you need to connect to an ad-hoc wireless network. They actually had the functionality built into Win8 but apparently got rid of it in the 8.1 update. :shepicide:

I'm just glad that I've since found a third-party program that instantly detects all wireless networks (ad-hoc or otherwise) and has the option to then connect to it instead of whatever you're currently connected to.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

I know this was a page ago, but Windows 8.1 is good until you need to connect to an ad-hoc wireless network. They actually had the functionality built into Win8 but apparently got rid of it in the 8.1 update. :shepicide:

I'm just glad that I've since found a third-party program that instantly detects all wireless networks (ad-hoc or otherwise) and has the option to then connect to it instead of whatever you're currently connected to.

Networks in general are really annoying in 8.1 for me; my homegroup icon won't go away from my desktop no matter what I do.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Eruonen posted:

Looks interesting, thank you!

It isn't, but enjoy :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr E posted:

Networks in general are really annoying in 8.1 for me; my homegroup icon won't go away from my desktop no matter what I do.

Oh, well at least yours is consistent - mine only decides to pop in and appear on my desktop maybe once or twice a week! :downs: (Also, if anyone's wondering about that ad-hoc network finder, it's here. There's an option to get a free non-commercial license there somewhere)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

It isn't, but enjoy :)

Haha, oh. Well I'll give it a shot anyway!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

Please tell me this is the Xbox one

It is the Xbox character, yes.

Kanfy posted:

From what I understand the Hyperdimension Neptunia games are for the most part decent after the first one if you like their zany style, but obviously they're highly fanservicey and extremely anime so it should provide more exciting and stimulating discussion in the Something Awful Steam Thread and that's what really matters.

The best the games get is mediocre and grindy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Terminally Bored posted:

And how bad is it?

The games are mediocre to play (it's really your standard JRPG where 75% of it is pointless grinding for Bear Asses (but Nepped Bear Asses, as it were), and they took the westernization of the dialogue to its logical extreme to the point that it is annoying to read and listen to. People rave about it regardless because of the power of anime waifus. Don't buy it.

You should, however, buy Ziggurat if you want to play first person Binding of Isaac, especially since it's like 8 bucks. Ziggurat is fun.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It is the Xbox character, yes.

I love you Japan

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Neptunia is all about the story.

The Rebirth 1 is a complete remake of the first game. The entire plot was changed and only vestiges of the original remain. It is grindy and enviornments are re-used but the story makes up for it. I'd get it for $15

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I love you Japan

The joke is that her tits are Xbox huge because the Xbox was huge, get it?

To be fair, there are a few funny jokes in Neptunia so it's not completely devoid of redeeming factors. I'd still play it over Dragon Age 2 any day.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The joke is that her tits are Xbox huge because the Xbox was huge, get it?
no, could you explain it again but slower and with pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

I love you Japan

I had to google this because what the hell.

Apparently the two main villains are Atari lady, who is mad about being left behind. And a lady who is all about console piracy.

I kind of want to buy this off the insane premise alone.

• Locked thread