Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kukash posted:

So what is the latest opinion on Republic Wireless? I avoided them before because Sprint didn't have very good coverage where I am but they seem to have built more towers recently. I have no problem being on WiFi as long as it works. I am just really interested in the new Moto X and a cheaper monthly payment

I like their service a lot, but I have pretty good Sprint coverage around here. The main downsides are that you have to leave your phone mostly stock and wait for them to provide updates because they integrate their VOIP over wifi and seamless handoff stuff in with the stock dialer and everything. Lollipop isn't due out for their 2013 moto g and x for a couple of months still, although it may be longer due to the weird issues with lollipop so far. I'm not sure about the lollipop release for the 2014 moto x. Also, they say that their phones won't work with any other carrier which while I haven't investigated the veracity of that claim, kind of sucks because you're buying the phone outright when you sign up. I'd guess it's because they add/modify so much to get their service working with wifi.

They've had one bad thing happen this year which is that they went from 500mb of roaming data to 25mb due to roaming data being very expensive, apparently. It hasn't affected my use but I'd be concerned if I was going on a trip and needed my phone for gps where I didn't know if I'd be roaming or not. Locally it's fine, though, and $25/mo for the 3g plan is perfect for my uses.

I like the service enough that I got my 70 something year old mother a republic moto g for xmas to replace her horrible Kyocera Event which cost her $35/mo on Virgin Mobile. $150 for a 2013 moto g is expensive but it saves her $10 a month and she'll probably have the phone for a few years so it'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here are Cricket's plans to discontinue Muve music, and their plans to discontinue CDMA service, though I doubt any of the Cricket users here were using either one of those.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Just an update for anyone considering switching to Cricket:

Service in the Boston area has been impeccable (meaning speeds and pings have been consistently running near advertised) for over a week now. Whatever was happening from November through December seems to be fixed... knock on wood.

Interestingly, when I was running the Ookla speed test app last month it would exclusively link to west coast servers (or occasionally midwest) to run tests, but now it reliably finds a Boston server. I'm not sure if that's indicative of an issue with Cricket or Ookla, but it seems too convenient to be coincidence.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've been getting way too many wrong number and spam calls on my cricket number. Would cricket give me a new number if I asked?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've been getting way too many wrong number and spam calls on my cricket number. Would cricket give me a new number if I asked?

unfortunately that's a feature of cricket, bill collector calls and jilted lovers at all hours.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

unfortunately that's a feature of cricket, bill collector calls and jilted lovers at all hours.

Isn't this a feature of any prepaid carrier? Or really any carrier ever. They just recycle the numbers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Isn't this a feature of any prepaid carrier? Or really any carrier ever. They just recycle the numbers.

I would say more prepaid carriers than post-paid but Cricket's old status as the "FLASH YOUR PHONE IF SPRINT SHUT YOU OFF FOR NOT PAYING" carrier probably gives it the edge. Can't speak for the jilted lovers though.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

FAUXTON posted:

GF had this issue when she got her Gvoice number for a month or two fortunately it trailed off.

Do you answer and tell them the sought after person does not have this number anymore or just let it go to VM?

Cricket will give you a new number for $10-15. Says so in their list of fees.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SB35 posted:

GF had this issue when she got her Gvoice number for a month or two fortunately it trailed off.

Do you answer and tell them the sought after person does not have this number anymore or just let it go to VM?

Yep. They've long since died out for me, it's just part of the welcome package.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yep. They've long since died out for me, it's just part of the welcome package.

You have bad luck with mvnos. :v: I never had this with the new Cricket or the old one.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Hi everyone, my dad currently is under contract with T-Mobile, and when his contract expires next week, I'd like to switch him over to the $30 100 minute "nerd" plan. Can anyone walk me through how to accomplish this? T-Mobile's site seems to actively discourage this plan.

Will I run into issues because he's already a T-Mobile customer, not a new activation? He wants to keep his existing number.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Will I run into issues because he's already a T-Mobile customer, not a new activation? He wants to keep his existing number.

It is for new activations only. He would have to port his number out and then back in to utilize it. However, Harbor Mobile is a T-Mobile reseller who has unlimited talk & text and 2.5gb of data for $30/month.

Edit: Looks like Harbor doesn't allow T-Mobile port-ins. You're pretty much out of luck unless you want to deal with porting to a different provider or Google Voice.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Hi everyone, my dad currently is under contract with T-Mobile, and when his contract expires next week, I'd like to switch him over to the $30 100 minute "nerd" plan. Can anyone walk me through how to accomplish this? T-Mobile's site seems to actively discourage this plan.

Port out to something like H2O wireless for a short while. Pick up a cheap Sim on eBay then port in and activate with like $10. A few days later, port over to harbor mobile or tmo directly.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Activated a Simple Mobile sim today, got 10 calls and nonstop voice message. Whats annoying is Simple Mobile kept transcribing and texting the vm to me. Good thing I dont route my google voice to this number.

Is there any funny answer message I can set on the answer machine for these assholes?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

whatever7 posted:

Is there any funny answer message I can set on the answer machine for these assholes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-TqEFYcfM

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Knew it was this, well done!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh come on, its so cliche. I am going to use the Kramer moviefone answer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So I got paid and was able to pay off my Sprint balance. I changed my mind since posting last and decided to go with the T-Mobile Dork plan instead of Ting, since I missed their deadline for the 50% ETF anyway. I think I'm an idiot or something because I'm not seeing how to even set this plan up. None of the featured plans are that low, I got as far as having to pick out a sim card, I think a micro sim for Nexus 5? I tried calling but the CSR I ended up with only helped with activation and basically told me "go to a store" in the longest way he could manage.

Is there a post I missed or forgot about that explained it like the dumb poor I am? I'm assuming I will need to order one of these sim cards. The Ting lady had a gameplan for me, e-mailed me and junk, I'm guessing they don't exactly want people on this plan so no one is going to bend over backwards to help me. For any ETF pay-off, I'm guessing I'll need a pdf copy of my bill with the ETF on it for anyone I go to.

Why is it called Dork plan anyway? Googling suggests it's something just goons call it.

edit: Oh, well, I did manage to find it when I bothered to resize the page. Seems like the ETF payment is only if you trade in your poo poo, I'd rather not. If I ever get a new phone I think I'd just pass this one on to my gf. Should I cancel Sprint first and then do this or is there some communication between the two that needs to happen? I hope I answer my own questions and have to edit this all out.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 16, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Khanstant posted:

Why is it called Dork plan anyway? Googling suggests it's something just goons call it.

The joke is only dorks would have a phone plan with 100 minutes, unlimited texts and a large data allotment because they don't have many friends and communicate with the few they do have via text.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh, hahaha okay, I get it now.

Well, I guess step 1 for me is to get a sim card. I guess I should just get one at the store instead of waiting for shipping and junk.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Khanstant posted:

Well, I guess step 1 for me is to get a sim card. I guess I should just get one at the store instead of waiting for shipping and junk.

You can't use a SIM obtained from a store for the dork plan, you have to buy the "starter kit" online. Also, it can only be activated online or at a Wal-Mart and is a one-time plan - if you were to move off of it you can't move back unless you port your number out to another provider and open a new account..

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OK, well thank you again. I know what I must do now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Geoj posted:

You can't use a SIM obtained from a store for the dork plan, you have to buy the "starter kit" online. Also, it can only be activated online or at a Wal-Mart and is a one-time plan - if you were to move off of it you can't move back unless you port your number out to another provider and open a new account..

What if you used it for a month then stopped paying? You can't reactivate the account at all? Is the SIM card now useless?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What if you used it for a month then stopped paying? You can't reactivate the account at all? Is the SIM card now useless?

You have 60 days refill money and reactivate it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What Geoj meant is that the plan is flagged as "new activations only", meaning no T-Mobile number may be switched to it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Virgin Mobile USA (fully owned / operated by Sprint, so it's on the Sprint network) is introducing data share plans. The plans are "only at Walmart" and are $65/month for 2 lines / 4 GB data, $90/month for 3 lines / 8GB data, and $115/month for 4 lines / 12GB data.

In addition to the data share plans, Virgin Mobile USA will be offering their version of a dork plan: $35/month for 300 minutes, Unlimited Text, and 2.5GB of high-speed data.

Edit: note, they do not let you bring your own phone. The press release mentions the HTC Desire 510, LG Tribute, LG Volt, and Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (apparently the same as Boost Mobile's Samsung Galaxy Prevail 2), and says "More devices are expected to be introduced by the end of February."

Edit #2: Here are some more details about the Virgin Mobile data share plans.
* Hotspot / tethering is enabled
* The data limits are hard limits - you don't get a slow-speed fallback after you use up the allotment.
* Additional data is $10/GB
* A pass for unlimited usage of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pandora that doesn't count against the customer’s data is available for $5/month per device
* There is a pre-installed app on the supported phones which "lets the primary account holder choose how much of the shared data is available to each user as well as buy more data" and "International add-ons and parental controls (including data curfews and app restrictions) will also be available"

Rastor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 16, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

T-Mobile is following up their new prepaid plans with boosts to plans on their Metro PCS brand.

Especially interesting is the unlimited 4G LTE data, talk and text plan (no throttles or limits, they claim) for $50/month. What's the catch? "$50 promotional plan available only to customers with MetroPCS GSM phones with LTE connectivity. Bring your own device phones and CDMA phones are not eligible for this plan." Naturally their phone choices are limited, however, they do include the Samsung Galaxy S series.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Rastor posted:

T-Mobile is following up their new prepaid plans with boosts to plans on their Metro PCS brand.

Especially interesting is the unlimited 4G LTE data, talk and text plan (no throttles or limits, they claim) for $50/month. What's the catch? "$50 promotional plan available only to customers with MetroPCS GSM phones with LTE connectivity. Bring your own device phones and CDMA phones are not eligible for this plan." Naturally their phone choices are limited, however, they do include the Samsung Galaxy S series.

I wonder if they could really stop you from buying one of the $50 phones and taking the Sim card out for your own phone.

Then flip the MetroPCS phone and get your $50 back.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Presumably yes, they could have a database of their Metro PCS IMEIs and check against it. Whether they plan to actually do that, I dunno.

Edit: spotted in a comments section:

quote:

MetroPCS employee here, IMEI and SIM are bonded in the system, and there's different SKUS for BYOD plans. I've been upgrading $60 customers to $50 plans all morning in my store as they pay their bill, but you won't be able to get BYOD. You will lose the plan by switching back to a BYOD SKU (it only exists as a metropcs phone SKU)

Rastor fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Looking for a goon on cricket who wants a referral bonus. I'm switching to them.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rastor posted:

You can get that price now from Harbor Mobile. 53 after tax.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Looking for a goon on cricket who wants a referral bonus. I'm switching to them.

I'd be happy to help you out with that. Doesn't look like you get PMs though. Send me a quick email
sa.sb35 at a popular email service from google. I don't wanna go around spamming this thread with referral links.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 21, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Crazy rumor time:
Google to become an MVNO on the Sprint / T-Mobile networks

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

SB35 posted:

I'd be happy to help you out with that. Doesn't look like you get PMs though. Send me a quick email
sa.sb35 at a popular email service from google. I don't wanna go around spamming this thread with referral links.

I'm an idiot and finally remembered to check their coverage areas. They don't have service in my area :smith:

It looks like my best bet for GSM with LTE here is Net10 or ATT. I'm not sure it's worth fighting net10 customer service to save $15/mo on a 3GB plan. I've read the horror stories about trying to get things fixed, but my old roommate never had a problem with them. For being a popular college town, Charlottesville has crap for service. Sprint still doesn't have 4g here and that's why I'm switching from Ntelos.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Boogalo posted:

I'm an idiot and finally remembered to check their coverage areas. They don't have service in my area :smith:

It looks like my best bet for GSM with LTE here is Net10 or ATT. I'm not sure it's worth fighting net10 customer service to save $15/mo on a 3GB plan. I've read the horror stories about trying to get things fixed, but my old roommate never had a problem with them. For being a popular college town, Charlottesville has crap for service. Sprint still doesn't have 4g here and that's why I'm switching from Ntelos.

Cricket is owned by ATT and uses the same network. If you have ATT you will have Cricket.

edit: In fact Cricket's coverage map shows widespread LTE coverage in your area.

nimper fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 21, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

nimper posted:

Cricket is owned by ATT and uses the same network. If you have ATT you will have Cricket.

edit: In fact Cricket's coverage map shows widespread LTE coverage in your area.

Was just going to post this. Hope Boogalo checks back. If AT&T or Net10 work then Cricket will definitely work. He must've been looking at the old CDMA maps.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

SB35 posted:

He must've been looking at the old CDMA maps.

This is exactly what happened. I did a quick final check on coverage maps before ordering the sim and got stuck on the CDMA map on accident. I thought I was going crazy since coverage is one of the first things I check before even looking at rate plans. It spooked me since I did all of the research, decided on cricket, bought a shiny new Moto X, went to order sim and saw no service in area. You should get an email in a few.

(I'm still an idiot)

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 22, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

SB35 posted:

Was just going to post this. Hope Boogalo checks back. If AT&T or Net10 work then Cricket will definitely work. He must've been looking at the old CDMA maps.

While he was probably looking at the older CDMA maps, I'm pretty sure Cricket doesen't let you roam on t-mobile towers like ATT does. Saying you'll have service with Cricket if you had it with ATT is true...in most cases.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

While he was probably looking at the older CDMA maps, I'm pretty sure Cricket doesen't let you roam on t-mobile towers like ATT does. Saying you'll have service with Cricket if you had it with ATT is true...in most cases.

This is true, Cricket doesn't do roaming.

There are only a few MVNOs that do roaming and the only two I can think of right now are Straight Talk and Net10.

In other MVNO news:

- Verizon has upped their data on their ALLSET plan to 1GB. However, I've still not seen them give that extra 500MB if you autopay. Adding this to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

- Verizon has upped their data on their ALLSET plan to 1GB. However, I've still not seen them give that extra 500MB if you autopay. Adding this to the OP.

How much do they charge for such a generous offer?