Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The great insight Total Divas provides us into 'John Cena' is to see the trappings that his wealth has brought him: Mansion, wine rack, luxury bus, a wardrobe custom fit from The Bachelor.

No wonder dude doesn't want to upend his status quo just so armchair bookers on YouTube can feel satisfied w/ a heel turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
"What I don't get is that if you're somebody that knows what you're doing and you're confident in your work, why would you lower yourself to do something that is just trying to get attention?" - Natalya, talking about Paige... to Cameron and Eva. :allears:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
It's like Natalya is just allergic to money

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Eltoasto posted:

Not Summer, she isn't even on the cast this year and still has a job. She actually went through NXT training and can put on a match. They'll never push her to the divas title or anything, but she is a perfectly acceptable heel that can lose to someone. Do we even know what Jonathon does for a living? Besides being a model for Deep V shirts.

I hear this about pretty much every Diva that comes up through NXT. With the exception of Paige, I just don't see it in most of them...

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Astro7x posted:

I hear this about pretty much every Diva that comes up through NXT. With the exception of Paige, I just don't see it in most of them...

That's on Dunn and the booking at the WWE level. In NXT they are given time and allowed to wrestle. Sasha Banks owns, but she will probably come up and do some hair pulling crazy bitch 3 minute matches.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Astro7x posted:

You're not allowed to see it in them. :colbert:

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Even Eva Marie has done (very, very slightly) better in NXT than on Raw or Smackdown. No woman or midcard man deserves to be judged solely on what they get to do on Raw/Smackdown.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

pressedbunny posted:

Even Eva Marie has done (very, very slightly) better in NXT than on Raw or Smackdown. No woman or midcard man deserves to be judged solely on what they get to do on Raw/Smackdown.

She's only had one televised match in NXT, which was against Bailey, and it went like 3 minutes. That's about on par with what she's done on Raw and Smackdown. The only thing NXT did right was give her heel heat with an entrance where she looked completely vapid just sitting there looking hot.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Astro7x posted:

The only thing NXT did right was give her heel heat with an entrance where she looked completely vapid just sitting there looking hot.

They re-tapted Eva's entrance 3-4 times which annoyed the crowd. The funny aspect is that NXT ended up using first and worst "take" of it anyway for the TV show.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
She didn't actually gently caress up in that match, though, which is a step up from any Raw match she's had.

I mean yes we're talking the most backhanded of compliments here, but going <3 minutes without being totally poo poo is an improvement.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
My favorite reflection on this show is that when it began Eva was all "I am going to lie about my experience; hope this works!" and we were all just confused as all gently caress.

Then slowly but surely it is revealed that she simply has been lying (badly) with varying degrees of success her entire life, it starts to make sense that she wouldn't realize that this is a bad strategy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So I got caught up on Total Divas. I hope they lay off Eva and Jonathan bickering all the time, it's getting old. But Paige is an awesome addition to the show and I hope she never stops trolling Nattie.

Also Cena refusing to allow Nikki to win even one competition between the two is so very fitting.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cena overcame the odds in that game of beer pong. It was structured exactly like one of his matches, including the comeback.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Cena overcame the odds in that game of beer pong. It was structured exactly like one of his matches, including the comeback.

John Cena the character is like the Portrait of Dorian Gray for John Cena the man. If he ever stops, for even a second, he will shrivel up and blow away.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The more I think about it, the more it boggles my mind. It's a reality show scripted for women, yet on one episode you have:

• Cena completely destroying Nikki in some friendly competitions, rubbing her face in it, then Nikki apologizes
• Eva realizing that her man is the one who knows whats best for her, then Eva apologizes

You'd think they would want to have a strong female in there but ???

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Naomi/Trinity comes across as a pretty stable, positive role model.

ed: Oh yeah they ditched her, nevermind. I guess Paige and Alicia? Not that they've done much yet.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
If a fraction of the John Cena who came to be a smart-rear end and win and arcade games and beer pong showed up at 12 months of WWE PPVs, I'd stop practicing voodoo and hoping for him to tear both of his quads.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
My thoughts on the latest episode:

Hey look at that, Cena's really entertaining when allowed to be. And then he went back to RoboCena by the end. Nattie is still the dumbest human. Eva Marie/Jonathan stuff is turn the channel bad.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Well, to be perfectly fair, Eva agreed that Jonathan was right and apologized him after he tried to get her to not risk killing herself by ignoring a serious medical condition because she might be left out of TV tapings she's never on and rarely has to wrestle for, anyway.

Honestly, it doesn't speak well of WWE's labor practices that even a heavily edited show like Total Divas is mostly about them hiding serious medical issues for fear of losing their jobs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Daniel Bryan posted:

Eva Marie/Jonathan stuff is turn the channel bad.

I at least feel like that kind of stuff is real in some sense. Eva was wrestling a ton more, got two wins over the current champ AJ on TV, and then has to deal with this poo poo of being out since September for her leaking implant. Was wondering why we have not seen her in so long. How the hell does this kind of stuff not find its way to the dirt sheets when it happens?

Baby Babbeh posted:

Honestly, it doesn't speak well of WWE's labor practices that even a heavily edited show like Total Divas is mostly about them hiding serious medical issues for fear of losing their jobs.

Wait... people think this show is not scripted?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 22, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
TBF almost everyone on a reality TV show on E! are terrible people. They're all edited to be terrible in some way.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Baby Babbeh posted:

I think that's projecting a little. In just about any job there's a justifiable fear that leaving for weeks or months for medical issues will cause you to be lost in the shuffle when you return. Hell, this is something that people (myself included) worry about all the time when they take maternity/paternity leave. Not saying that WWE doesn't have legitimate issues with the way they handle injuries and stuff, but I don't think this particular concern is indicative of that.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Even if Total Divas is 100% scripted, the fact that "hiding potentially career ending injuries for fear of reprisals" is a behavior that's become so normalized behind the scenes that the powers that be don't think twice about it being roughly 2/3rds of Total Divas storylines is telling in and of itself.

Edit: It's not that this sort of thing isn't a reasonable concern in many occupations, it's just striking how prevalent it is on the show. Kind of paints a picture of the backstage politics at WWE being a bit more cutthroat then maybe they want to portray, is all I'm saying.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 22, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

She wasn't scared of reprisals or losing her job, she was scared of losing her push. Which she lost, because you can't just put a story on the shelf for 3 months.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Eltoasto posted:

She wasn't scared of reprisals or losing her job, she was scared of losing her push. Which she lost, because you can't just put a story on the shelf for 3 months.

Regardless, it's a bit funny how whenever anyone gets hurt on the show (Nikki, Daniel, Eva) they're immediately terrified and try to rush back early, getting pressure from people backstage.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Baby Babbeh posted:

Kind of paints a picture of the backstage politics at WWE being a bit more cutthroat then maybe they want to portray, is all I'm saying.

On the contrary, I think most of the old guard in the WWE and in wrestling in general very much like that the 'walk it off' mentality is both still in place and is presented as a normal part of the business. It makes the people who put their bodies on the line seem tougher and more of a unique breed and not so much like a regular dude/lady off the street.

If this weren't the case you wouldn't have storylines on the main show about people ripping themselves off stretchers to continue wrestling or playing up that they won the title with a broken freakin neck. Those are just stories, but WWE has never shied away from publicly presenting that 'finish the match at any cost' attitude on shows like Tough Enough.

And this hasn't a hope of changing any time soon with Mr "I tore my quad but still took a Pedigree on a table and finished the match' Helmsley running things.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I just kept laughing every time Eva talked about working hard to be at the top and losing her 'push'.

As for it reflecting on WWE, it's a reality show. Everything is sculpted to be as much of an end-times, career- and relationship-ending big deal as possible. Have you never watched a reality show before? Spilling someone's drink is played out like a death threat. Fearing your job is at risk if you get a bit of a cough is absolutely standard for all such shows.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Sorry I don't watch that many reality shows, I don't know the rules :smith:

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I, for my sins, have somehow* ended up watching Laguna Beach, The Hills, The City, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Made In Chelsea and LA Ink. (Granted the last one isn't quite the same, but they still overreact to everything.) Eventually you do become jaded/immune enough to the formula to spot these patterns. Never think anything on a reality show actually reflects reality in any way. It's much wiser to simply assume it's as scripted and edited as an episode of Smackdown.

*okay, I love this trash poo poo really

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's actually probably more scripted then an episode of Smackdown because they don't reshoot a match if the angle doesn't come across well enough.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's actually probably more scripted then an episode of Smackdown because they don't reshoot a match if the angle doesn't come across well enough.

they absolutely do this on smackdown

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Really? It's never happened at any of the tapings I've been to but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Oh yeah they totally reshoot stuff on taped WWE shows. Apparently they had Eva do her entrance like 3 times on NXT.

Doesn't happen every single time, but it's definitely there.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I liked Cena's '500lb steel steps' sell of the foam weightlifting plate.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Someone summed up the best part of the episode in a nice gif

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I now can't believe they've not given Cena that music for real.

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners
Hearing Brie referred to Brie Danielson was kind of weird

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Bobwhire

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
DB, Titus, Paige and Alicia should have their own show. They can just walk around telling people what the gently caress.
And I know it's scripted to buggery, but Rosa is now more obnoxious than Eva or Cameron have ever been. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say Eva's downfall-of-the-week seemed genuinely sympathetic on this episode. Rosa is just loving intolerable even by faux-reality standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
There's a guy on Youtube who edits Total Divas down to Total Paige and it's pretty awesome. Paige owns.

• Locked thread