Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Before anyone goes in and asks for tully, it's pronounced "tool". It's like, tutu material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

As easily available in the UK?

Apparently so - http://www.biostrip.co.uk/biostrip-20-paint-stripper-500ml-tub.html

May be worth a shot, I never did get around to getting hold of Power Spray for my eBay salvage.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Just use denatured alcohol. Haven't met paint it won't strip yet

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Frobbe posted:

AKA methylated spirits in the UK (the purple stuff) - but does it melt GW plastics or resin? I use it to clean RC bodies I paint, but that's polycarbonate plastic...different kettle of fish.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

madpanda posted:

Do any brick and mortar stores in the US carry future? I've tried target/home depot/meijers etc.

In the US it's called Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

krushgroove posted:

AKA methylated spirits in the UK (the purple stuff) - but does it melt GW plastics or resin? I use it to clean RC bodies I paint, but that's polycarbonate plastic...different kettle of fish.

It's safe to use on plastics or resin. I used to use it but I find simple green to be better. Haven't tried the fairy stripper spray or whatever .

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yep, sorry should have specified, figured it was just called Future in painting threads even though the name/label has changed many times.

http://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-Pledge-Multi-Surface-Finish/dp/B000ARPH4C

This is what I have been keeping an eye out for.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just get it off Amazon?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I want to say I got mine from Wal-Mart.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Big Willy Style posted:

It's safe to use on plastics or resin. I used to use it but I find simple green to be better. Haven't tried the fairy stripper spray or whatever .

It won't ruin resin straight away but a week+ will wreck Forge world resin. I learned this the hard way. Plastic gives no fucks

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Ethanol will over time penetrate the resin, and essentially lubricate the molecular crystal structure. You are better using something like iso-propanol (happens to be in a number of products like Sterillium which also strips paint).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

serious gaylord posted:

As easily available in the UK?

Yeah, made by a UK company as far as I know. You can get it from Amazon in 500ml pots for around £8 as I recall. Brush it on generously then let it sit for an hour. Non-toxic, non-irritant. Water soluble. In my experience it's basically a miracle stripper. Just remember to properly rinse the models afterwards to make sure any residue is off.

It's specifically designed for stripping paints as an answer to the EU saying "That incredibly hazardous toxic poo poo? That's dumb."

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 21, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, made by a UK company as far as I know. You can get it from Amazon in 500ml pots for around £8 as I recall. Brush it on generously then let it sit for an hour. Non-toxic, non-irritant. Water soluble. In my experience it's basically a miracle stripper. Just remember to properly rinse the models afterwards to make sure any residue is off.

It's specifically designed for stripping paints as an answer to the EU saying "That incredibly hazardous toxic poo poo? That's dumb."

Neat, I'll keep it in mind once my dettol and fairy runs out. Hopefully I won't be stripping anything any time soon.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Any acrylic floor wax will do, most likely. You can also go to Michaels and get acrylic paint medium and use that, or if you are feeling really cheap distilled water (ONLY distilled - you don't want minerals in it) can be used and is 99 cents a gallon. It's not as good but can work in a pinch.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

madpanda posted:

Yep, sorry should have specified, figured it was just called Future in painting threads even though the name/label has changed many times.

TBH it's worth just shelling out for a bottle from Amazon even tho it will be like half as much at a Walmart. You will never ever in a million years finish a bottle of that poo poo, it goes such a long way. I've had my bottle for the better part of ten years and gotten maybe half of the way through it, even after using it to seal an actual piece of wood for an unrelated Mandolin project. For mini's you can water it down slightly as well and if you're airbrushing it can go on so thin that it would take thousands of minis to burn through a 12 dollar container.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I dunno, I'm 3/4th through the bottle I bought 2 years ago.

Then again I paint whole armies at a time so that might be a bit skewed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

madpanda posted:

What do you use that stuff for?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Magres posted:

What do you use that stuff for?

It's gloss varnish, you put it on your minis to make them tough and hard to damage and then you use matte varnish/dullcote to make them not shiny again.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm a convert to future, because it's not just gloss varnish.

Varnish provides a nice little barrier to damage, but future is on a whole nother level. Chipping used to be a problem for me even with 3 coats of varnish but not aince I've been using future.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I've had warjacks get knocked off the table hard enough to bust apart at the joints but not have the paint itself scratched because of a Future coat. poo poo's nuts.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
So Future could be blasted onto a model via airbrush before doing oil washes? That'd be fine?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

BlackIronHeart posted:

So Future could be blasted onto a model via airbrush before doing oil washes? That'd be fine?

Yup, I do it all the time.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Fantastic, thanks!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

It's gloss varnish, you put it on your minis to make them tough and hard to damage and then you use matte varnish/dullcote to make them not shiny again.

Awesome! I've actually been super concerned about my mans chipping after I put all that hard work into them, it's good to hear that this stuff makes them like bullet proof

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

This just came up on my facebook wall, I can't use it because it's only on iOs right now and an Android version is waiting for enough requests (link at the bottom!), but I thought someone else might be interested

http://products.scriblab.de/paintmyminis/

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Shot with the equivalent of the Hubble space telescope, for models.

Two coats of Matte, still glossy. :shrug:

I like the base.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Still a WIP and it'll be a few months before it's warm enough outside to prime it, but I've made progress on converting a counts as Sammael for my marines. Ended up grabbing the Puppetswar bike for the starting point.

Planning to paint the legs and left arm as bionics and probably find some more iconography to stick on the side of the hull.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

VendaGoat posted:

Two coats of Matte, still glossy. :shrug:

That usually means you're not shaking it enough

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It's also good for adding to paint to make washes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mix it with India ink and diluted water for black lining, and it's perfect.

E: oops, lol. Mix in ink and dilute with water.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 21, 2015

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
How do you make diluted water? :v:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

How do you make diluted water? :v:

You add water to it, duh.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Miniature Painting/Sculpting/Modelling Megathread (Potentisate your Homeopathic dilutions of acrylic)

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

First time trying pigment powders out... why the hell did I wait this long. It's like discovering washes for the first time.

E>> I guess the next questions is, what is the best non reflective varnish to seal pigments with?

Slandible fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 21, 2015

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Frobbe posted:

I found that denatured alcohol won't do poo poo to Krylon, even after a week of soaking.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slandible posted:

First time trying pigment powders out... why the hell did I wait this long. It's like discovering washes for the first time.

E>> I guess the next questions is, what is the best non reflective varnish to seal pigments with?

Welcome! They are amazing, aren't they?

Problem is, you can't seal them in without distorting the color and dusty effect. The best option I've found is to save them until the very end. Then, varnish your model, and while it's still sticky apply the powder. For larger models this is not possible, so I varnish them first, let it dry, apply pigments, and then spray a very thin coat of 90% rubbing alcohol over the surface. This fixes the pigment into place, but with enough force it will still rub off.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I almost never seal models, but my concern is that any bit of water that might hit it will take them off. Do they stay on unprotected decently, or do you have to seal them in some manner?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A strong wind can pick up some of the dust unless you really rub it in. If it's going to sit on a display case you don't need to do anything to it, but if you plan to game with it, I would hit them with some rubbing alcohol. It will keep things like a few drops of water from doing anything to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I havent sealed any of mine, but then they dont really leave the cabinet.

If you want to stick the powders down without distorting them, hairspray works. You need the stuff that goes on dry though, and be very light about it.

• Locked thread