Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

Real time can't explore longevity until Touta meets his friends at the top of the tower. Hyperbolic time chambers can be centuries long though.

That's what makes them hyper sonic :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I hope Eva stays in her child form for a while, I've always loved the faces she makes! :allears:

I also hope we see some more of Negi's students; in a world that's as suffused in shounen as this one, there's no reason older characters can't still be strong. Headmaster Konoe was fighting off the Lifemaker's disciples, so it's not like there's no precedent.

Also also, the narration on the last page made me laugh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Doubt and anger are completely natural reactions to the situations in this manga, though? Touta is totally Negi because he got angry at people who burned down a slum town and killed the innocent inhabitants and has doubted his ability after getting beaten up, you know!

I think Touta is much more like Nagi than Negi anyway, though he still isn't a carbon copy since he lacks Nagi's signature all-consuming arrogance.

I just think he's probably Negi because Ken's gonna have to tie his existence into the story at some point and I don't buy that Negi ever picked one of the chicks. I'll take "clone" too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I just think he's probably Negi because Ken's gonna have to tie his existence into the story at some point and I don't buy that Negi ever picked one of the chicks. I'll take "clone" too.

Sperm donor for a couple of happily married former students.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter.

I think you guys can put the Touta is Negi theory to rest now. Did not expect to see Nagi though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I guess the mystery of what happened to Arika is solved. But man, both of Negi's parents ended up possessed by that fucker.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
And we were so close to getting some answers :argh:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Well, I guess the mystery of what happened to Arika is solved. But man, both of Negi's parents ended up possessed by that fucker.

Sorry, can you elaborate? I need to reread Negima it seems.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

GodFish posted:

And we were so close to getting some answers :argh:

It feels like Akamatsu's giving out half-answers to all the questions surrounding the series. Just enough to make some theories, but not enough to actually say anything definite.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
This felt like the shortest chapter ever.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Those last pages. I hate drama and events that are born out of poor communication. Like tota is just going to chill @ headquarters till the tournaments over? Seriously just explain to Touta why he can't be in the tournament and stuff... you know if you don't hes going to go do something stupid.

Though if Akamatsu does have Touta behave himself I'll be impressed.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

That wasn't Arika, that was the Lifemaker's original(?) body, i.e Eva's dad. Yes, he looks very effeminate.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Legacyspy posted:

Those last pages. I hate drama and events that are born out of poor communication. Like tota is just going to chill @ headquarters till the tournaments over? Seriously just explain to Touta why he can't be in the tournament and stuff... you know if you don't hes going to go do something stupid.

Though if Akamatsu does have Touta behave himself I'll be impressed.

I'm hoping Eva is intentionally goading him into participating. She has to know how he'd react to that.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
My prediction: The vision is a scam to draw Fate and Eva into the tournament as advertisement for promoting Mahora as a Olympic candidate site by the current unidentified President, (Chao?), who also enjoys yanking Fate and Eva's chain for fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Awws, I wanted Colonel Sanders. :(

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
All of the numbers gang still join but I'm disguise... As Sanders.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

well that escalated quickly. :stare:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

My first guess would be that the last line of the chapter is Eva trying to keep Touta safe, so that she doesn't lose another person she cares about.

Also, Negi's outfit looks dumb.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Kinda looks like a composition of his Arena costume and Chao's battle costume.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's a space suit. Nodoka had a similar thing.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

UchihaHirou posted:

My prediction: The vision is a scam to draw Fate and Eva into the tournament as advertisement for promoting Mahora as a Olympic candidate site by the current unidentified President, (Chao?), who also enjoys yanking Fate and Eva's chain for fun.

I hope this doesn't turn into a bad D&D campaign where the DM's old 30th level characters keep showing up to let you know how cool they are. I guess it's nice to see a familiar face, but Mana as the school chairman was kind of weird.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is a painfully obvious trap, and not one with a punchline. Lure Eva out with the application, and then when she touched it the three people she cares about the most in the world show up (Touta excluded). It was so incredibly direct that they might as well have had Chacha Zero pop in with a big sign advertising the tournament. The real question is if any of this provocation is based on fact.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This is a painfully obvious trap, and not one with a punchline. Lure Eva out with the application, and then when she touched it the three people she cares about the most in the world show up (Touta excluded). It was so incredibly direct that they might as well have had Chacha Zero pop in with a big sign advertising the tournament. The real question is if any of this provocation is based on fact.

This is shounen. The way you deal with traps is to walk right into them and friendship/burning spirit your way out. Hopefully Eva and Fate at least put on some disguises, though. Adult Eva is cooler than kid Eva.

And I'm all but certain now that Touta is some sort of backup copy or uncorrupted fragment of Negi.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 21, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its going to get tiring super fast if they just keep bringing in random loving Negima characters for 3 chapter cameos. He should have actually loving finished Negima if he wanted to show us all the poo poo that went down.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:derp: :derp: :derp:

Things happened way faster than expected :stare:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Its going to get tiring super fast if they just keep bringing in random loving Negima characters for 3 chapter cameos. He should have actually loving finished Negima if he wanted to show us all the poo poo that went down.
1) He couldn't finish Negima because Kodansha were being clowns about author IP rights.

2) UQ Holder has always been, to some extent, Negima Z.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Negima was originally meant to go on longer to finish the plot threads, but as Conan said, he was under threat of losing rights to it. As such, he ended it prematurely to keep them so we're basically getting a continuation to it through UQ Holder.

And hey, at least he's able to draw the manga he always wanted to. Less of the harem/fanservice bullshit that he was basically made to do in the beginning and more awesome action scenes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This wouldn't be so bad if Negima was remotely readable. Can someone just tell me who important characters will be?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No, read Negima.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rodyle posted:

No, read Negima.

no

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Suck it up and watch uncomfortable fan service until the martial arts tournament. Like an adult.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Negima is good, y'all should read it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Suck it up and watch uncomfortable fan service until the martial arts tournament. Like an adult.

I think the fanservice would be a whole lot more comfortable if it involved more adults.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the fanservice would be a whole lot more comfortable if it involved more adults.

Negima came out in 2003, so the characters are now 12 years old. In another 6 years it won't be creepy for you at all!

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks this story is taking place in the alternate timeline where Asuna is asleep for over a century? IIRC at the end of Negima both Negi and Nagi are chilling out on Earth and Nagi basically says he is retired, and the lifemaker has already been beaten?

IIRC the only reason Negi wasn't killed by the shadow of the Lifemaker at the end of Negima was because Asuna used her magic-cancelling sword. So it makes sense that he would lose without her. I still think this is the alternate timeline and it ends with Negi dead.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

SchrodingersCat posted:

IIRC the only reason Negi wasn't killed by the shadow of the Lifemaker at the end of Negima was because Asuna used her magic-cancelling sword. So it makes sense that he would lose without her. I still think this is the alternate timeline and it ends with Negi dead.

The timeline split didn't happen till after Asuna woke up and saved Negi, so this isn't really proof. Not to say that your theory is wrong--It could definitely be right. I expect a cool twist, though, after the great twist that was Mundus Magicus being Mars. Don't dissapoint me, Akamatsu!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

If that was what Akamatsu was going for then he wouldn't have set this 80 years after Negima. Most of the cast is dead.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Yeah, some of the non-human/longer-lived cast members from Negima showing up again was pretty much guaranteed the moment you saw you Eva (i.e Page 1). Mana, Chachamaru, Zazie/Poyo, Negi, the Lifemaker, AlbireoColonel Sanders, and etc. Cyborg Tsukuyomi was a bit more of a pull but whatever.

e: Actually, to maybe be a bit more helpful to the guy who was asking (spoiler tags I guess in case someone cares):

Mana is a quarter-Japanese, quarter-Venezuelan, half-Greater Devil mercenary. There's not too much else about her, although Poyo kinda implies that she'll be important once the existence of magic and demons and such become public.

The Lifemaker was the guy who designed Mundus Magicus/Inverse Mars. He calls Eva his daughter, and is the one who made her into a vampire as part of his experiments into researching immortality/eternity stuff. He can basically possess anyone who kills him, and was chilling out in Nagi's (Negi's dad) body until Negi did... something that we didn't see because of Negima's weird timeskip ending. The latest chapter implies that he is trying to possess Negi in some way, which is why Eva doesn't want Touta to touch it.

Incidentally, I guess I should mention Nagi is Negi's dad. His master killed the Lifemaker the first time and got possessed, then Nagi killed him and eventually got possessed himself. Notable for being basically a sterotypical Shounen hero: stupid, blunt, always rearing for a fight, retardedly strong, etc.

As for some of the others that might show up...

Chachamaru is a hybrid magic doll/robot that Eva commissioned. She talks about becoming Negi's secretary, so she'll probably show up eventually.

Zazie is a Devil and apparently a pretty influential one. Poyo is her older sister. If something called Cosmo Entelechia ever comes up again, Poyo was basically the one that designed it.

Albireo Imma was one of Nagi's companions, and also the guy who made Touta's gravity sword. He's an illusionary person like most of Inverse Mars's residents, but is apparently a powerful enough Mage to sustain himself in the real world using only his own power, though he's a lot weaker (there was a pretty clever visual indication of this with the shade of his hair that probably no one noticed or cared about).

Tsukuyomi was a battle-crazed mercenary who was working for Fate. She used the same Shinmeiryuu-style that Kuroumaru is using. Last we saw of her she used a super evil sword from Love Hina for a power up before getting punked. That might be why she has a cyborg body now, maybe? She was mostly notable for being the only character in Negima who was actually unabashedly evil, although she did help a lot with Fate's character development I guess.

I think that basically covers anyone who might show up.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 22, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You forgot Jack Rakan somehow. I don't understand it.

Also personally I'm happy to see Tsukuyomi return. She has the same kind of charm that Team Rocket does. I half expect that she'll outlive everyone else in this universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, it is always possible that someone will show up as an old lady, it just seems unlikely. Then there is how for all of the non-humans like Setsuna we don't really know if they have normal human lifespans or not.

Also, you forgot Sayo.

• Locked thread