Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Please read this thread while listening to this music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XhCxffl38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Windmill Hut posted:

something something bell end

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
the sydney sixers aren't very good

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Windmill Hut posted:

Best game ever.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Scylo posted:

the sydney sixers aren't very good

A certain long necked individual has something to say

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

That was a loving outrageous finish. Love some popcorn cricket

E: 56 off the last 3 overs to win by 1 run

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

bblol

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

These last two BBL games have been better than any of the international level poo poo played in Australia this season.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Not a bad game at all there by Silk. Takes another screamer then just stood and delivered towards the end. No dancing around, just power hitting. I'll take that over airey-fairy reverse sweeps any day of the week.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

masterpine posted:

Not a bad game at all there by Silk. Takes another screamer then just stood and delivered towards the end. No dancing around, just power hitting. I'll take that over airey-fairy reverse sweeps any day of the week.

So maxwell with twice the neck and half the ADD?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30935162 well that worked out well for him

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Match 5 of this "gripping" 7 ODIs between NZ and SL and then once that's over it's straight into the much needed world cup warm-up games before they play each other in the loving tournament opener.

gently caress.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

goatface posted:

Match 5 of this "gripping" 7 ODIs between NZ and SL and then once that's over it's straight into the much needed world cup warm-up games before they play each other in the loving tournament opener.

gently caress.

We play an official 3 match series v Pakistan in between Sri Lanka and the unofficial warmup games. I think SL are a good team to be playing though, quality batsmen to figure out, and the need to get used to milking spinners. If Malinga plays then we get a sighter of him prior to the WC opener which would be handy too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I had only noticed one Pakistan game and thought that was a warm-up. Didn't know they were making a series of it.

I don't think they're going to play Malinga until their warm up against South Africa at the earliest. He's teetering on the edge of his ankle exploding.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lol Guptil

I wonder what Fulton is up to these days.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Guptil still in the form that got him selected I see.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Wow, so Guptil is not so good is he?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
He scored a very good 66* literally 2 innings ago, goddamn I hate our kneejerk fans.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

Martin 'Watson' Guptil

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Smorgasbord posted:

He scored a very good 66* literally 2 innings ago, goddamn I hate our kneejerk fans.

His last 10 ODI innings (since the India series, basically): 5,11,12,58,8,0,10,66*,20,0. Whopping 21 average. I don't know how kneejerk that is.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Brett824 posted:

His last 10 ODI innings (since the India series, basically): 5,11,12,58,8,0,10,66*,20,0. Whopping 21 average. I don't know how kneejerk that is.

And if you go back 15 games he has a 30 average. A rough 10 game stretch is not grounds to ditch a guy with a career record of 3049 runs at a 37 average and 80 sr just before a world cup.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

If we were talking about Ross Taylor, who seems to either get single figures or a century, then I would understand. But Guptil just looks really sketchy opening; He usually takes a dozen balls to get off the mark, and then another dozen before he's got his eye in. Which is a lot of balls when you have a tendancy to just hang your bat out like that.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Smorgasbord posted:

And if you go back 15 games he has a 30 average. A rough 10 game stretch is not grounds to ditch a guy with a career record of 3049 runs at a 37 average and 80 sr just before a world cup.

Cook since Jan 1st, 2014 (format ODIs): Ave 27.52, SR 71.25
Guptill since Jan 1st, 2014 (format ODIs): Ave 28.94, SR 69.68

The entire world wanted Cook dropped as well.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I think Ross Taylor is really loving stupid, if he wasn't good at cricket he'd be on minimum wage somewhere.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

I think Ross Taylor is really loving stupid, if he wasn't good at cricket he'd be on minimum wage somewhere.

He's much better at cricket than Martin Guptill

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He's much better at cricket than Martin Guptill

:confused: Yes....

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Guptill's also arguably the best fielder in the world.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

This is a pretty sweet counter attack so far. Also, gently caress you to all the Elliott haters.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Smorgasbord posted:

This is a pretty sweet counter attack so far. Also, gently caress you to all the Elliott haters.

He's better than loving Guptill.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah he's an amazing fielder.

Also as poor form he's in there really are no better options. We've always struggled with quality openers.

Elliott is great because he offers something different than the rest of our lower order batsmen. He's a grinder that's hard to get out. Definitely balances the team.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah for sure. McCullum's been amazing in the field too.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

He's better than loving Guptill.

Stats might disagree

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
NZ love their 6th wicket partnerships

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Doctor Cave posted:

Gotta love our wicketkeeper situation, Watling no.7 in the tests and Ronchi in the silly stuff are fantastic, and they are both very good glovemen too.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

The highest 6th wicket partnership in all ODI's is 218 -- by Jayawardene and MS Dhoni!

e: Not any more. Nice.

Noxin of Shame fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2015

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Ronchi is unbelievable right now

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Look at cric info last five overs run rate 17.4

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I love those comedy drops when it's not our boys fielding

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Doctor Cave posted:

NZ's real batting has always started at No 5 or 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The Sri Lankans body language is weak, they need to puff up their chests.

On a serious note, is that a very small ground? Some of Ronchi's sixes were crazy.