Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Did his defense team know about that journal? Every time they throw up a hail mary it's right there going HAHA NOPE.

defense isn't doing this, these should still be witnesses for the prosecution

prosecution wants the friend to testify because it ties ulbricht to both the creation of SR and the events in the chat logs. a random hacker wouldn't know about ulbricht's conversation with his friend. also provides context for that chat log, which casts a lot of doubt on the argument that ulbricht sold SR. nothing conclusive if there were no other connection between ulbricht and the laptop / chat logs, but...

proving that ulbricht created SR is unnecessary because the defense apparently stipulated it in their opening arguments, but the prosecution wouldn't have been able to plan their case around that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

http://www.dailydot.com/crime/ulbricht-usa-transcript-120/

transcripts from day 4 of the trial

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
skreeeeeeee

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

"...lead defense attorney Joshua Dratel claimed his case was being "eviscerated" in an "unfair" matter." :allears:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Goddamn, somehow this thing keeps getting better.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
even if you completely discount ulbricht himself this trial is fantastic just for how much it's making a goddamn lawyer squirm :laugh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
don't hate lawyers for doing their job. everyone gets the best defense their attorney can mount, that's how the system works. and it's not the lawyer's fault his client's hobby is inventing new ways to incriminate himself

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

rjmccall posted:

defense isn't doing this, these should still be witnesses for the prosecution

prosecution wants the friend to testify because it ties ulbricht to both the creation of SR and the events in the chat logs. a random hacker wouldn't know about ulbricht's conversation with his friend. also provides context for that chat log, which casts a lot of doubt on the argument that ulbricht sold SR. nothing conclusive if there were no other connection between ulbricht and the laptop / chat logs, but...

proving that ulbricht created SR is unnecessary because the defense apparently stipulated it in their opening arguments, but the prosecution wouldn't have been able to plan their case around that

This makes sense. The case is vulnerable to the idea that someone else took over SR and set Ulbricht up to be the fall guy without tying Ulbricht to the events in the logs and diaries. If there's corroborating evidence that the logs and diaries are Ulbricht's then he's really screwed.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

haveblue posted:

don't hate lawyers for doing their job. everyone gets the best defense their attorney can mount, that's how the system works. and it's not the lawyer's fault his client's hobby is inventing new ways to incriminate himself

I wonder if the firm hired for the defense took one look at the case and decided to draw straws for who was going to take this loss, or if they just sent their intern

also :laffo: at the defense complaining that it's unfair how dead to rights they have him

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

haveblue posted:

every lawyer is poo poo until you need one, and then he's your best friend

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Dren posted:

This makes sense. The case is vulnerable to the idea that someone else took over SR and set Ulbricht up to be the fall guy without tying Ulbricht to the events in the logs and diaries. If there's corroborating evidence that the logs and diaries are Ulbricht's then he's really screwed.

at this point the defense must be praying that the jury gets so loving confused by the technical terms and the nature of the case that they think it's reasonable that someone else could have planted all of those logs on his computer while faking details that only ulbricht would have known

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i gotta be totally honest I never expected the trial to be this insanely funny, it's way beyond all my hopes and dreams

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh COME ON

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
mastermind.php

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

haveblue posted:

Dratel deserves some kind of medal for not bursting into bitter laughter while presenting his various Hail Mary defenses

and for not literally dope-slapping his client at the defense table, constantly, like some kind of Twelve Angry Stooges highlight reel

a great attorney-American :patriot:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
:gizz:

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Magrov posted:

mastermind.php

i know it surely isn't, but i so badly want it to be like am ascii picture of ulbrecht's smiling face

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

at this point the defense must be praying that the jury gets so loving confused by the technical terms and the nature of the case that they think it's reasonable that someone else could have planted all of those logs on his computer while faking details that only ulbricht would have known

i think this is what theyre doing, the defense is hoping the jury is hearing the prosecutors' case as pure technobabble and then offering their own. technobabble vs technobabble, welp no way to be sure i guess both sides are valid.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so is ross going to testify

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

so is ross going to testify

in a way he already has

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

text editor posted:

in a way he already has

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

text editor posted:

in a way he already has

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

text editor posted:

in a way he already has

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

text editor posted:

in a way he already has

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

text editor posted:

in a way he already has

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sarah said the protesters were there last week but are gone now. the defense didn't want them there either

there are a bunch of guards with machine guns though because of a terrorism trial running concurrently inside.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

text editor posted:

in a way he already has

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Sarah said the protesters were there last week but are gone now. the defense didn't want them there either

there are a bunch of guards with machine guns though because of a terrorism trial running concurrently inside.

i think that those are actually MEN WITH GUNS who are there to put ross in a cage

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

uncurable mlady posted:

maybe the defense's key maneuver will be having slipped an entire jury who recently saw Gone Girl under the uncultured prosecutor's nose

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i feel sad when imagining what ross's mom must be going through. gently caress that guy, he should serve at least 20 just for the crime of making a mom sad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just imagine she's one of those racist moms.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
the relevant parts aren't really technobable though, how hard is it to understand "here is Ross' journal were he tells us, yes, I am commiting crimes."

The defense relies on way more compunonsense which the prosecutors seem to just be slapping down as pointless speculation about an implausible frame job

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 23, 2015

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Just imagine she's one of those racist moms.

doesn't help, my grandma was pretty racist :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

the relevant parts aren't really technobable though, how hard is it to understand "here is Ross' journal were he tells us, yes, I am commiting crimes."

The defense relies on way more compunonsense which the prosecutors seem to just be slapping down as pointless speculation about an implausible frame job

you got any better ideas for the defense?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i don't know anything about lawyering but,

my assumption is that your career would only be hurt by making arguments that aren't logically sound. so that leaves you with disputing whether or not evidence presented by the prosecution is factual

that poor fellow

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
ross's mom sold her house for the defense money and moved to new york to be nearer to him for the trial, i feel bad for her too, that house was probably a significant portion of what she'd one day retire on.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

fermun posted:

ross's mom sold her house for the defense money and moved to new york to be nearer to him for the trial, i feel bad for her too, that house was probably a significant portion of what she'd one day retire on.

:smith:

give him 16 consecutive life sentences please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
didn't take a plea, mom's paying dearly for a hopeless defense .

• Locked thread