Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

The Sri Lankans body language is weak, they need to puff up their chests.

On a serious note, is that a very small ground? Some of Ronchi's sixes were crazy.

Ground looks oddly shaped and maybe a bit small in some spots but most of those 6s were a good 90 - 100 meters in length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Jesus
Oct 9, 2003
Been sat here for like an hour and a half with my tv off because I thought this game was going to be poo poo after NZ were four down so early :ughh:

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

-Spiffy- posted:

Afghanistan
One of the propaganda stories that came out of Afghanistan, after they have the poo poo bombed out of them, was that cricket was becoming important as a social outlet.
Whether or not that is true, they have managed to turn out a team which have played a few associate level games versus other countries and hopefully will do well.
Fan activity in the cricket thread: None

they've not only played against test playing nations, they've beaten Bangladesh in the only game they've played against them, and beaten zimbabwe twice (and even beat zim twice in 2 'unofficial tests').

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Feral Jesus posted:

Been sat here for like an hour and a half with my tv off because I thought this game was going to be poo poo after NZ were four down so early :ughh:

shouldn't have been such a dick i guess?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Davfff posted:

Ground looks oddly shaped and maybe a bit small in some spots but most of those 6s were a good 90 - 100 meters in length.

Well in that case, I can't wait for him to play in a game commentated by Brayshaw.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

drat Ronchi, daaamn. Hell of a recovery. It's great to see Luke going from strength to strength over in NZ. It's been a great week and a bit for building that WC hype.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Well in that case, I can't wait for him to play in a game commentated by Brayshaw.

??? plz explain :(

i want to see someone hit the ball out the park and down into that massive quarry hole right next it.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Unimpressed posted:

lol

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Amazing recovery. Ronchi is in some great form. Which definitely helps when Taylor has forgotten how to bat.

So glad Elliott got his century ☺

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I liked when Ronchi hit the 6s but then also didn't get out.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

I'm sure he wouldn't mention how he's Australian every two minutes.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

I'm sure he wouldn't mention how he's Australian every two minutes.

aside from being born in nz to nz parents and all that.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I liked when Ronchi hit the 6s but then also didn't get out.

I like it when our batsmen score runs
I don't like it when our batsmen get out
I don't like it when their batsmen score runs
I like it when their batsmen get out

lol weird

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
and also no one can blame ronchis parents for wanting to leave the country in the first place. I would too if i lived in dannevirke.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Davfff posted:

dannevirke.

Jesus Christ.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Was awesome watching that in the office. Had about 6 of us around the tv at the end there.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Australia are using the same bowling attack from the previous game. Good luck avoiding a slow over rate again.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I assume Warner is being rested because he theoretically can't talk to Sandhu

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
I heard it was because he hypothetical-extended his hamstring.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Hot drat! Any chance the Lankans pull this off?

E: he asked moments before the first wicket.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 23, 2015

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Davfff posted:

I like it when our batsmen score runs
I don't like it when our batsmen get out
I don't like it when their batsmen score runs
I like it when their batsmen get out

lol weird

I think you may have something here.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Has Ali ever toured Australia or south Africa. He's hit some beautiful sixes but he'd have been caught out on any ground in Australia besides the one he's on. He seems to be struggling with the bounce a bit.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
England doing pretty good against Australia A here

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Apparently the commentary team are on a tirade against boundary ropes? Peak Channel 9.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Seams posted:

Apparently the commentary team are on a tirade against boundary ropes? Peak Channel 9.

What kind of pizza do the boundary ropes enjoy? DIRTY OLD PIZZA?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Why do England have such abysmal odi all time run scorers. England's number one would be Australia's 13th or so.

Shane Watson would hold England's record by 400 runs.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Seams posted:

I tend to agree with them. Ali hit a 69m six. that's silly.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ha ha, Maxwell being smacked around by a brown Muslim man, must hurt real bad inside that bogan heart.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Why do England have such abysmal odi all time run scorers. England's number one would be Australia's 13th or so.

Shane Watson would hold England's record by 400 runs. The ECB hates success.

Whenever an England batsman gets good, they get rid of him.

I tend to agree with them. Ali hit a 69m six. that's silly.

It's safer for the players having a boundary rope.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Seams posted:

England doing pretty good against Australia A here

Don't forget, England aren't playing their best team either. Cook's not in it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

69m is far too small on square. Cummins beat Ali twice with bounce and was rewarded with top edged sixes.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Right that's a huge technical flaw in Ali's game. He struggles with the bouncing ball. Hope he tours here with an ashes side.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bellerive is a pretty small ground but I'll live with a few top-edged sixes if it means players aren't getting serious injuries

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I do think the boundary ropes take the piss a little.

It's meant to encourage poo poo shots, which it does, but I'm not convinced it should reward them.

They should be the limit of where a fielder can go but still only count for 4 runs unless it's over the fence.

That's probably less practical than I think.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Remember that Cummins is a really fast bowler and it would be easier to get a top-edge six from him than say Sandhu

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Taylor is really trying my patience.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I think its fair enough to protect the fielding side but on small ground like this one its taking the piss.

This pitch isn't that bad as an aside. Bell is just a genius when he's in form. Plenty of lift in the deck. I'd have still batted first personally.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That's a weird "trigger movement" that Taylor has. The problem with that initial movement is when he faces someone really quick. I don't like stuffing around with a kids technique but I'd have coached that out of him. Its weird that he got through the system with an initial step away.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Seams posted:

It was literally only Slater who's mad cause he would have scored probably 2000 more runs with boundary ropes

Shane Watson would hold England's record by 400 runs.
Ricky Ponting has bearly three times as many runs as Collingwood, it's crazy. They seem to play far less games though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Boult making a statement this game.