Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Viper_3000 posted:

The only other thing to think about is at 11k you around 4-5k away from clean/well maintained M car territory. Make sure you aren't going to kick yourself later for not spending more at that price point to get an M3.

I think for a clean/well maintained M3 you're looking at an $8-10k premium over a comparable ZHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
OK guys I talked to the dude with the e23 on craigslist and he said it was running and driving when the heater core went, but the engine sounded a bit rough. I'm going to take a look at it on Saturday. I know M30s are going to sound a bit rough naturally with the timing chain and the lifters and poo poo, what would be out of the ordinary? Anything model specific that I should be looking at? Places where rust starts, etc.

e: This thing
http://wichita.craigslist.org/ctd/4850089391.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what the gently caress is that giant green patch in the back seat floor?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

what the gently caress is that giant green patch in the back seat floor?

GDCS leak

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Yup. Guarantee he got in the car to drive it and it all sloshed right into the backseat.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
ugh, I can smell that from here.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Its also not blue.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

Its also not blue.

I bet every previous owner of that car thought it was fine to toss in generic green poo poo into the rad to top it off. That's how you know that it was a GDCS stain in that backseat floor.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Its also not blue.

BMW didn't start using the blue coolant until sometime in the late '90s / early '00s (I think). My '94 had green in it from the factory.

That said, something about that rear seat screams "water damage" to me. The wavy "piping" on the cushion, the weird dark color of the foam visible through the split in the leather, etc.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Powershift posted:

i just googled 325ti and i'm pretty sure it's the worst thing i've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKQGT8Qc8Wo

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Pros - a less obese E46 with an M54 and a liftback

Cons - 3 doors, still a fattie.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Saga posted:

Has anyone owned or driven a 325ti - the E46 based compact? If so, what's it like?
Trying to decide whether it should be on my used car list...

You are probably not going to get a lot of love for these as we only got the e36 318ti in'Merica. The international contingent will have to chime in. BMW hatchbacks seem to illicit visceral responses from otherwise well behaved people. Econobox and 1/2 a REAL BMW are the usual slurs. Personally, a hatchback BMW would be great and I'd drive the poo poo out of one - especially if it had 6 cylinders. The only reason I haven't gotten one is because we only got the gutless 318ti.

I can't answer your question about having driven one but all of the standard BMW caveats of that era do apply: GDCS, bushings, window regulators, service records...

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I will never get the hate for the e36 and 46 compacts.

if you look at the roof and shoulder line and ignore the...questionable headlights, it looks just like a 1er

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm not sure about the e46 ti, but the e36 ti had a ton of unique parts and you wouldn't know it until you actually sat in it. Like all the bodywork behind the hood, and all the interior aside from the seats.

And what suspension does the e46 ti get?

I think with normal e46 headlights they'd look fine but the compact ones are godawful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So the local BMW dealership destroyed the clear bra on the front of my mother's car by digging tree sap or something out of it with a pick, damaging the bumper cover as well. She takes it back and is being given a hard time with them offering to repaint the bumper cover, but she has to pay $300 for the clear bra to be replaced since it 'needed to be replaced anyway'. I guess that's one way to lose a customer that has spent a conservative $450k on vehicles alone - not including service - from you over the past 12 years.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Those headlights are unbelievably ugly.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

I see shitload of E36 compacts here in California. They make me want to vomit each and every time.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

ynotony posted:

I think for a clean/well maintained M3 you're looking at an $8-10k premium over a comparable ZHP.

19-21k? Seems a bit high, but it varies by area. I've seen good examples here in the south sell from 16-19k depending on the time of year.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
So I bought a winter beater Poormobile

2008 Space Gray Metallic, black novilo (whatever that is) leather with the DCT, leather carbon dash trim, premium sound & carbon roof.

Everything is pristine - still smells like a new car, the previous owner was a little old software engineer I've known for 15 years who did a meticulous run-in, oil changed every 4000 miles, and generally kept it extremely nice for me while kindly eating most of the depreciation hit. All the maintenance records, & a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Sports on it with 200 miles on them, and a 90 minute test drive up the PCH and he had me hooked. So I brought it home with me.

I was torn between the DCT and a manual, it took me forever to actually find a manual to test drive in LA - and while I love to do my own footwork, this car's insane joy for revs (and ability to get well into 'losing-your-license' speeds in 2nd) seemed better matched to the immediacy of the DCT and I didn't enjoy the feeling of the clutch/gearbox enough to sway me from this immaculate example with such a known provenance. So far, so good, pushing that M button on the steering wheel turns it from a relatively tame ride that still means business to a tensed and poised legit race car that makes the best noises ever when you downshift aggressively. The DCT changes gears with a brutal sharpness if you turn the dial up to 6, and serenely for the wife with it in 1-3. And because it was specced while the first owner lived in Seattle, it's even got seat warmers and the fold down rear seats.

I've had it for a week now, about 400 miles, and I'm already 'casually' visiting the local O'Reilly stores to see which ones sell the type of unicorn blood (8.8 liters of) the S65 demands.

It's insanely fun to drive - Das Volk was right, this is truly the greatest car ever made. Bring on the $1.50 gas!!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ether Frenzy posted:

So I bought a winter beater Poormobile

2008 Space Gray Metallic, black novilo (whatever that is) leather with the DCT, leather carbon dash trim, premium sound & carbon roof.

Everything is pristine - still smells like a new car, the previous owner was a little old software engineer I've known for 15 years who did a meticulous run-in, oil changed every 4000 miles, and generally kept it extremely nice for me while kindly eating most of the depreciation hit. All the maintenance records, & a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Sports on it with 200 miles on them, and a 90 minute test drive up the PCH and he had me hooked. So I brought it home with me.

I was torn between the DCT and a manual, it took me forever to actually find a manual to test drive in LA - and while I love to do my own footwork, this car's insane joy for revs (and ability to get well into 'losing-your-license' speeds in 2nd) seemed better matched to the immediacy of the DCT and I didn't enjoy the feeling of the clutch/gearbox enough to sway me from this immaculate example with such a known provenance. So far, so good, pushing that M button on the steering wheel turns it from a relatively tame ride that still means business to a tensed and poised legit race car that makes the best noises ever when you downshift aggressively. The DCT changes gears with a brutal sharpness if you turn the dial up to 6, and serenely for the wife with it in 1-3. And because it was specced while the first owner lived in Seattle, it's even got seat warmers and the fold down rear seats.

I've had it for a week now, about 400 miles, and I'm already 'casually' visiting the local O'Reilly stores to see which ones sell the type of unicorn blood (8.8 liters of) the S65 demands.

It's insanely fun to drive - Das Volk was right, this is truly the greatest car ever made. Bring on the $1.50 gas!!

Congrats! I work from home and still go through two tanks a week.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Congrats! That is a beautiful car. It's difficult to not have wanton eyes right now when I have the cash to outright buy the E90 M3 I've been wanting for some time now. Instead I'm doing responsible 'adult' things like doing a Roth IRA, having money for the next family car, and the money to get our basement finished in our home. Maybe I'll be able to start the search in 2016. For now I hope the current owner of my future car is taking as good of care if it as yours did.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Thanks guys. It really is heroin-level addiction in terms of that noise it makes when you put your foot down. I fear that the local Shell station owner is going to send his kids to college on me.

I did the adult thing long enough to get to the point where I knew if I got much older, I'd start to get a little TOO responsible. So I'm glad this one came around at just the right time for me to buy it, but it's probably ruined me for just about anything else south of a GT3.

Thanks for the motivation to finally just go and buy a fun car to everyone here who has posted their nice rides from all vintages.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
how much did you pay?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Crustashio posted:

I'm not sure about the e46 ti, but the e36 ti had a ton of unique parts and you wouldn't know it until you actually sat in it. Like all the bodywork behind the hood, and all the interior aside from the seats.

And what suspension does the e46 ti get?

I think with normal e46 headlights they'd look fine but the compact ones are godawful.

It got the z axle but no b30 engine. Looks like the compact has its own panels everywhere but the interior is just e46. They're really rare even over here, but the nice thing is a good proportion were factory orders so you see some weird/extravagant colour and equipment combinations.

e: E36 compact gave the world the ultimate BMW - somewhere on the web is a chevy smallblock swap into a 316ti with a manual gearbox and of course e30 trailing arms. Suck it haters! ;)

Saga fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 23, 2015

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Looks like the F80 is getting LCI'd for 2016 so everyone is assuming this means the LED tails will be added. F82 is unchanged.

Really happy I waited now. Hopefully they will make tanzanite blue an official color so I don't have to pay the individual tax.

Edit: Also M2 in November but I think that only applies to Europe.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 23, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Looks like the F80 is getting LCI'd for 2016 so everyone is assuming this means the LED tails will be added. F82 is unchanged.

Really happy I waited now. Hopefully they will make tanzanite blue an official color so I don't have to pay the individual tax.

Edit: Also M2 in November but I think that only applies to Europe.

This is interesting. My lease is up March of 2016 and I've been thinking about what to do next. Torn between a new M3 and a Cayman GTS.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

This is interesting. My lease is up March of 2016 and I've been thinking about what to do next. Torn between a new M3 and a Cayman GTS.

The Cayman GTS is much much much more fun to drive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Seems like a good opportunity to complain to BMW NA and get things fixed properly.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So tree sap falls on your paint and a moron chips it off with a pick, they re-paint for free...but sap falls on a clear-bra and a moron scrapes it down to the paint, they want to charge?

Also, if your mom's spent that much at the dealer I'm sure they know her well, and it's probably a newer car. How long do clear bras last? I've heard after five years they may start to wear a bit. And you can't clean tree sap from them with a solvent or something?

Either way, the dealer clearly hosed it up and them claiming it needed to be replaced anyway is horseshit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My dad lives in Thailand 11 months out of the year, so I assume they are banking on my mother just backing off. It's a 2011 335D. The clearbras tend to yellow, like this one has, but seem to hold up fine otherwise.

It'll be handled. It's BMW North Scottsdale. I don't know why they bother trying to raise an issue over $300 when they are clearly going to end up looking bad as it gets escalated up the chain.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
There's a ghost in my BMW. Several small things have started happening that i think might be due to the battery? Maybe it needs replacing?

The key fob stops working (locking / unlocking) intermittently, but is currently working fine when it works. The key itself is new, less then a year old.
The dome light has this pulsing quality, only faintly perceptible but it's there (might be the light, might be the power input).
The head unit (eonon aftermarket unit) stops working after a week of use but starts up again after you disconnect the battery for a few seconds then reconnect it.
The windshield water spray recently stopped working, probably unrelated (i think a pump froze and broke itself).

The car starts up fine with no hesitation, and i never had any problems with the battery losing charge. Is there anything these symptoms could indicate other then that my car is 14 years old and has 130k miles?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Check battery voltage and alternator output voltage, BMWs are notoriously finicky when it comes to voltage.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Killstick posted:

There's a ghost in my BMW. Several small things have started happening that i think might be due to the battery? Maybe it needs replacing?

The key fob stops working (locking / unlocking) intermittently, but is currently working fine when it works. The key itself is new, less then a year old.
The dome light has this pulsing quality, only faintly perceptible but it's there (might be the light, might be the power input).
The head unit (eonon aftermarket unit) stops working after a week of use but starts up again after you disconnect the battery for a few seconds then reconnect it.
The windshield water spray recently stopped working, probably unrelated (i think a pump froze and broke itself).

The car starts up fine with no hesitation, and i never had any problems with the battery losing charge. Is there anything these symptoms could indicate other then that my car is 14 years old and has 130k miles?

Has a Renault died recently in the area?

It could be possessed by the unquiet soul of an very economical car, doomed to wander the mortal plane for the lesser of 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Saga posted:

Has a Renault died recently in the area?

It could be possessed by the unquiet soul of an very economical car, doomed to wander the mortal plane for the lesser of 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Haha, we have 2 Renaults in the family and both seems immune to the ravages of time. The 99 Megane with almost 200k miles looks like it'll outlive civilization itself.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bape Culture posted:

The Cayman GTS is much much much more fun to drive.

I really want to drive one but the nearest dealer never has any on the lot that aren't already spoken for, and the next nearest is a few hours away and only has a used one.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

My dad lives in Thailand 11 months out of the year, so I assume they are banking on my mother just backing off. It's a 2011 335D. The clearbras tend to yellow, like this one has, but seem to hold up fine otherwise.

It'll be handled. It's BMW North Scottsdale. I don't know why they bother trying to raise an issue over $300 when they are clearly going to end up looking bad as it gets escalated up the chain.

I agree 100% it should be covered and it sounds like you have it under control.

I think when places do the clear bra they say it needs to be replaced almost yearly which is pretty lol. Nobody does that. The 3M stuff is warrantied for 5 years though.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
Hey guys! So I just checked out a 2003 540i automatic with the M sport package. Its all kinds of fantastic, and with only 66k miles it drives like a really nice babied 540i with super low loving miles. Its almost flawless, its sooo nice.
The guy selling it has owned it since 2007, and has had it serviced at the same BMW mechanic since he got it. Im getting a PPI done at that same mechanic on monday, plus theyre going to be giving me a printout of its full service history there.
So Ive read a lot about these things, and with a PPI i think that should catch anything not obvious.. anyone have any other advice for things to look out for? If it checks out at the mechanic, Im buying it cause its a drat steal :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That sounds like it could be expensive, but i'm still drat jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I dont know much about the 530i, but thats some crazy low mileage. Nice.

In other e39 news, I finally found some wheels for my beater5. Style 42's, 17" 2-piece lightweights. The finish is kaput on the barrels but the fronts and bolts are in great shape. Got em for 200 bux, so I may continue the budget theme and just clean up the pealing finish and dip the barrels. Not sure yet. I need to cost out polishing/powdercoating I guess. I posted some pics in my little project thread.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 25, 2015