Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rocksicles posted:

I'm scared, i agree with Irish Joe.

I also caught a mid season episode of Jane the Virgin at a friends house and i thought it was actually pretty good. So gently caress you Ravane, i'm still not watching it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rocksickles, don't make me Aatrek. You wouldn't like me when I'm Aatrek. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good to know you have that capacity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, but what I mean is that the TV series could've had it that she landed on Earth and was found as a baby, and then raised by the Kents into adulthood.

Yeah, I just meant that it's not as big a change as people might think.

quote:

The other lead role currently being cast is that of 26-year-old Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded foster sister. Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane and super.

Alexandra "Girl Lex" Danvers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

Rocksickles, don't make me Aatrek. You wouldn't like me when I'm Aatrek. :smuggo:

Did... you just threaten to Cosby Rocksickles? :ohdear:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What the gently caress, Ravane?

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 23, 2015

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Thread is finally getting good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pentyne posted:

So, is Backstrom complete garbage or just a mediocre Fox comedy-drama?

It really doubles down on terrible racism and stupid plots, but watching Raine Wilson being an slovenly drunk rear end in a top hat to people is kind of fun.

Hasn't the "he's a smug, repulsive rear end in a top hat BUT HE'S SO SMART AND HES THE BEST WE GOT" well run a bit dry by now though? It's been 11 years since House premiered for gently caress's sake.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ravane posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I think Backstrom would be terrible with anyone but Rainn Wilson, but he's so goddamn charmingly angry that I liked the first episode for the most part. Some of the logical leaps and his "I'm so-and-so, why would I do this?" will probably wear a little thin as the show goes on though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One guy did all these themes:
http://vimeo.com/117553184
There's a list in the description if you don't want to watch half an hour of cartoon openings.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm about 3 episodes from finishing up the last season of Justified, what was it that people didn't like about it so much? I have a feeling it's the seperate threads, or the Amy Smart stuff which, despite her and Olyphant's best efforts, doesn't work well at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

One guy did all these themes:
http://vimeo.com/117553184
There's a list in the description if you don't want to watch half an hour of cartoon openings.

He "did" the Real Ghostbusters theme? Does that really count since it's basically a cover of the Actual Ghostbusters theme?

Also, I always forget there was a Dragon Warrior cartoon. I only ever saw half an episode of it on some odd UHF station that didn't come in very well. Toriyama's samey character design just makes it look like The Lost Adventures of Goku.

e: running through most of these, it doesn't really seem like a portfolio to be proud of. I forgot how bad some of these were, even back in their time.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

raditts posted:

He "did" the Real Ghostbusters theme? Does that really count since it's basically a cover of the Actual Ghostbusters theme?

Also, I always forget there was a Dragon Warrior cartoon. I only ever saw half an episode of it on some odd UHF station that didn't come in very well. Toriyama's samey character design just makes it look like The Lost Adventures of Goku.

Yeah that one is suspect but he apparently did all the original music for the show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

DrVenkman posted:

I'm about 3 episodes from finishing up the last season of Justified, what was it that people didn't like about it so much? I have a feeling it's the seperate threads, or the Amy Smart stuff which, despite her and Olyphant's best efforts, doesn't work well at all.

Michael Rapaport and his weird, bad accent irked people more than anything. He felt like sort of a downer for a show that has showcased some very good villains. That and the show itself was spinning its wheels.

Tuesday's premiere was pretty promising, though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

hcreight posted:

Michael Rapaport and his weird, bad accent irked people more than anything. He felt like sort of a downer for a show that has showcased some very good villains. That and the show itself was spinning its wheels.

Tuesday's premiere was pretty promising, though.

Being a brit I got no idea how the accent was supposed to sound so I didn't find it particularly egregious. I can see that the small time, unlikeable family would be a problem though, mainly because they're not as interesting as everyone else and it seemed that they were largely lacking in charm was the point.

I'm closer to the end but I think the Ava problem is the bigger one. I get the point of her story, but it's poorly serviced as it's the runner up plot for most of the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

It would double not count since the Actual Ghostbusters theme was just a rip off of Huey Lewis and the News.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I just meant that it's not as big a change as people might think.

Alexandra "Girl Lex" Danvers.

Right, okay, I understand now.

I know the "Danvers" surname was part of the comic character for decades, but I wonder if the fact they're going with "Kara Danvers" rather than "Linda Danvers" is a conscious effort to pre-empt "Carol Danvers", who will be the main character of Marvel's forthcoming Captain Marvel movie? :tinfoil:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

I know the "Danvers" surname was part of the comic character for decades, but I wonder if the fact they're going with "Kara Danvers" rather than "Linda Danvers" is a conscious effort to pre-empt "Carol Danvers", who will be the main character of Marvel's forthcoming Captain Marvel movie? :tinfoil:

In response, Marvel's movie now features Mar-vell as the (sans) titular Captain Marvel.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

MrAristocrates posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

I don't know. Do you?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pzy posted:

I think Backstrom would be terrible with anyone but Rainn Wilson, but he's so goddamn charmingly angry that I liked the first episode for the most part. Some of the logical leaps and his "I'm so-and-so, why would I do this?" will probably wear a little thin as the show goes on though.

The "I'm X person, now I instantly understand their life and motivations" is pretty dumb when The Pretender did it 20 years ago way better and wholly embraced the hokey aspect of it.

I also have a hard time believing that Rainn Wilson is so terribly unhealthy he'll lose his badge when the actor looks fitter then 90% of actual cops.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Finished Justified Season 5, it's sort of amazing how the show just completely drops the Crowe stuff once Daryl is taken care of. Given Raylan's affinity for the kid you'd think they'd get more a payoff than a brief throwaway line. I actually ended up liking Rappaport a lot by the end, I just wish that the season around him was better. By the end it's just all clearly prologue to the next season, which makes it a tad of waste.

Though Boyd and the cigarettes made it all worth it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
There's a lot of issue with Backstrom's pilot. Hopefully it was just for that and it's a little smoother moving forward. But the first episode really didn't instill me with a lot of confidence that it's going to be anything but a police-ified House meetoo with little actual substance to it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sober posted:

There's a lot of issue with Backstrom's pilot. Hopefully it was just for that and it's a little smoother moving forward. But the first episode really didn't instill me with a lot of confidence that it's going to be anything but a police-ified House meetoo with little actual substance to it.

I'm a House apologist and I think that show would've gotten cancelled if it hadn't been for Laurie's acting chops. Hugh Laurie made House into a believable, self-destructive rear end in a top hat willing to drag everybody down with him and after watching Backstrom, I don't think Rainn Wilson can carry that character for more than a season or two.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ravane posted:

I don't know. Do you?

I have a few theories, nothing conclusive.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

I don't know. Do you?

Looks to me like end-stage terminal forums cancer, chronic shitposting is a common symptom.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Looks to me like end-stage terminal forums cancer, chronic shitposting is a common symptom.

Poor guy never stood a chance.

RIP Ravane

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

At least I'll still be on the forum for my birthday. I turn 23 tomorrow, perhaps with that, comes maturity.

I doubt it though, you all feed my narcissistic tendencies. :smuggo:

Recently, I checked out The Nightly Show with Black Jon Stewart. It's actually quite entertaining, and because of his urban upbringing, he's able to call out rich white people for not "keeping it real" as he says. On a serious note, the show actually did something I've never really seen talk shows do. It invited all its guests to engage in a collective debate, instead of interviewing them one-on-one. Now, I believe that this format loses the personal in-depth analysis that a one-on-one interview affords, however, by having all of them speak and discuss a single topic, new ideas and fresh perspectives arise on a topic that would usually be presented in a one-sided propaganda ("this is what I think is right") type of way. It genuinely felt more democratic by having this multiplicity of sides, regardless of whether or not one shared those views. It was very interesting, and I think more shows (perhaps they already do) would benefit from at least trying that format.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

For once in the entirety of existence, I agree with Ravane that Larry Wilmores show is pretty good. Saying he is a black Jon Stewert is disingenuous though and makes you seem like an rear end in a top hat.

I really enjoy the shows format. It's different and not just another Daily Show, Colbert or John Oliver. He even had a black female republican who seemed extremely disillusioned with everything going on. I did enjoy seeing her stammer when Larry asked her what will she tell her grandkids when they ask her how it was to vote for the first black president (she didn't, she voted for the white guy both times).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

I really enjoy the shows format. It's different and not just another Daily Show, Colbert or John Oliver.

Exactly. Unlike those other guys, he's not even trying to be funny. Its a refreshing change to see a show that just embraces the fact that its preaching to the choir. No presumption of comedy, just straight up cheerleading Obama and/or the left's cause du jour. The best part is how eager the audience is to eat that poo poo up. He's been on for four days and the audience is chanting his name and cheering after every line. They don't care that he's just spoon-feeding them surface level political analysis shamelessly designed to appeal to college-aged leftists. In fact, they love being pandered to. "We're the smart ones!" they'll say, because a black man in glasses is saying things they agree with on a comedy network.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So is it more serious talk or is it just more of "Make the news funny" like Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver? Because I've been pretty well burnt out on the latter for a good while. I guess it being on Comedy Central and being hosted by a comedian answers the question for me. But maybe not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Deadpool posted:

So is it more serious talk or is it just more of "Make the news funny" like Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver? Because I've been pretty well burnt out on the latter for a good while. I guess it being on Comedy Central and being hosted by a comedian answers the question for me. But maybe not.

Wilmore's not aping Stewart or Colbert. Instead of doing the news of the day he picks one topic and does an entire episode on it. One segment on his own at the desk like Stewart and Colbert (but with his own approach), one segment with a panel (made up of a mix of comics, journalists, activists, and politicians) discussing it, and one segment where he tries to call them out with tough questions for laughs or groans or whatever. Its more of a Bill Maher type show than any of the other Daily Show family shows.

Just, you know, without a gaping rear end in a top hat hosting things.

Its not totally clear yet what the comedy:news ratio is going to be here but Wilmore doesn't seem like he wants to be a faux reporter like Stewart or a parody like Colbert. He seems to be playing it for laughs, even when he's talking about something serious. So far its been reasonably funny so far with maybe a touch of thoughtful discussion. But its only been a week so who knows?

Also, I'd comment here on Ravene acting like Wilmore invented the panel discussion but I think I'm being suckered in by a troll again.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 24, 2015

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah but did it involve creating a GUI interface in visual basic to track an IP address.

Not a single bit of cringe-inducing dialog will ever top "Two Idiots, One Keyboard."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The Nightly Show will hopefully learn from the mistake it made with putting Godfrey on a panel. You need people who are politically knowledgeable and/or able to be funny on a panel, neither of which applies to Godfrey.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

It's trying to straddle the line between the two. The first act is a comedy news monologue on the subject of the night, the second act is a panel segment that is kind of somewhat serious but not really since it has thus far always included a :airquote: comedian, and the third act is terrible and best left alone until they realize it's terrible and retool it.

But no, it's not TDS, Colbert, or LWT at all. It's more like Real Time only instead of ending with New Rules it's even lamer as poo poo truth or dare "keepin it real" hi-larious trap questions the panel gets 10 seconds to answer. If they don't retool that I'll be skipping the third act just like movie star interviews on TDS.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 24, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ChickenMedium posted:

Not a single bit of cringe-inducing dialog will ever top "Two Idiots, One Keyboard."

Its scenes like that that are great examples of how to write a show for old people. The two young smarty-pants are panicking, not knowing what to do, and the old guy fixes everything with a "common sense" solution.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

For once in the entirety of existence, I agree with Ravane that Larry Wilmores show is pretty good. Saying he is a black Jon Stewert is disingenuous though and makes you seem like an rear end in a top hat.

Whoa whoa, I didn't mean to give a false perception of myself. I am an rear end in a top hat, let's be clear about that, I don't mean to just seem like one.

Also, we don't agree unfortunately. I didn't say it was good, I said it's entertaining, but it doesn't fulfill its purpose (if that purpose is to inform its viewers). As I mentioned earlier, they don't analyze the topic in-depth at all. As an example, in the pilot, the only woman guest brought up a decent point about a statistic that muslims were most likely to harm other muslims and blacks were most likely to be killed by other blacks (I checked the statistic out, and it's verifiable). They didn't discuss that one bit, they ignored her completely and instead asked the racist comedian if he'd rather have a black child or a white child. I'm not joking at all. It was entertaining for sure, and the panel was interesting because people, like that woman, could bring up good points like that. But they didn't loving discuss it. What is the point? Instead they asked the senator, "Do you want to be president?" And when he didn't answer, Wilmore just called him out on it. Who gives a poo poo whether a random senator wants to be president though? Colbert got more information through his "Better Know a District" segments even when he was just messing around and drinking with representatives.

You might as well watch "The Interview" and accept that as a documentary of North Korea. If the point of show is to make people laugh, Wilmore did a great job. If it's to make people think, then he's making young liberals as idiotic as many young republicans already are.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 24, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Why do you guys not know better than to reply to Ravane yet, seriously.

ChickenMedium posted:

Don't be so sure, CSI: Cyber is premiering soon and I hope to God it is to computers / the internet what regular CSI is to forensic science. Seems like a good bet based on the backdoor pilot from a year or two ago.

IRQ posted:

But no, it's not TDS, Colbert, or LWT at all. It's more like Real Time only instead of ending with New Rules it's even lamer as poo poo truth or dare "keepin it real" hi-larious trap questions the panel gets 10 seconds to answer. If they don't retool that I'll be skipping the third act just like movie star interviews on TDS.

I liked the question in Thursday's episode where he asked the guy whether he'd save a Cuban refugee to reunite him with his family, or Cuba Gooding Jr. to get a part in Snow Dogs 2.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 24, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I liked the question in Thursday's episode where he asked the guy whether he'd save a Cuban refugee to reunite him with his family, or Cuba Gooding Jr. to get a part in Snow Dogs 2.

It's not totally awful as a bit, don't get me wrong, but the show seems to want it to carry the entire third act of the show by itself, and I don't think it can. Could it be a "moment of zen" type recurring sendoff, sure. But it's really really thin as a third act. I mean, The Word wouldn't work as a daily thing either on Colbert, you know?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

It's not totally awful as a bit, don't get me wrong, but the show seems to want it to carry the entire third act of the show by itself, and I don't think it can. Could it be a "moment of zen" type recurring sendoff, sure. But it's really really thin as a third act. I mean, The Word wouldn't work as a daily thing either on Colbert, you know?

No I agree with that, it's definitely the weakest part of the show and I'd rather they just do two panel segments, or a correspondent thing, or pretty much ANYTHING other than doing it every single day, but it's not totally irredeemable. I think if they just kept the one at the ending segment as a moment of zen type thing like you said, it'd be better that way. As it is, when it's good it's okay but when it's bad it's worse than an interview segment.

They probably just need time to come up with other bits, Colbert didn't have all of them at the beginning either, after all. The panel should really be the third segment and the second should be a rotating thing or the first part of a two-segment panel if the topic is big enough to warrant it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ravane posted:

Recently, I checked out The Nightly Show with Black Jon Stewart. It's actually quite entertaining, and because of his urban upbringing,

I hate that I'm responding to Ravane but Larry Wilmore grew up middle-class in the Midwest. Not every black person grew up poor and in the inner city. I know it's Ravane but "urban" as a codeword for black people gets under my skin.

• Locked thread