Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Aww, he sold em.

BUT DAT JAX YO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Xerath definitely had about 3 windows of time he could have empowered recalled there, but he probably forgot about that ability.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
what the hell happened to CW, they used to be good

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Thumbtacks posted:

what the hell happened to CW, they used to be good

Forgiven left, Bjergsen left, Amazing left.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Transient People posted:

Forgiven left, Bjergsen left, Amazing left.

oh right

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

They made it so you couldn't buy two regular boots. You can buy boots when you have an upgraded boots.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Also I'm no coach, but I would definitely ban Jax against Giants in the future. Considering Werlyb will seemingly play it into anything and relentlessly win with it.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I can't believe I'm saying this because I've never been a huge fan of his but Amazing has somehow become really underrated.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this because I've never been a huge fan of his but Amazing has somehow become really underrated.

I'm really surprised that he and Dexter are both FAs right now. Those guys are easily better than half the junglers in competitive.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Amazing is on xPeke's new team, right? Maybe they will make LCS next split, their roster certainly seems strong enough to be mid tier among the current teams.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I kind of want CW to win just because I have no idea how it'd happen and I want to see an absurd comeback.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Flameingblack posted:

Jax just casually 4v1'ing in the baron pit.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
Jax, in the baron pit.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Libertine posted:

I'm really surprised that he and Dexter are both FAs right now. Those guys are easily better than half the junglers in competitive.

Amazing is on Origen. I bet he could have easily got on an LCS team but Origen is almost guaranteed to get into LCS next split by winning Challenger. They are by far the strongest team. The scrims / ranked 5s that have been posted of them is just them making GBS threads on every other challenger team and some lcs teams.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Libertine posted:

I'd be willing to take a chance on Amazing but I wouldn't risk Dexter coming and and getting into fights with the midlaner.

Transient People posted:

I wouldn't be so sure. Jax counters Gnar, or so the theorycraft goes. I wanna see him fight a Renekton or Irelia before saying he's that good.

Game 1 had Jax versus Renekton. Giants seem to have really strong top/jungler synergy so I'd consider the ban since they're 2/2 in getting their Jax fed.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 23, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

Also I'm no coach, but I would definitely ban Jax against Giants in the future. Considering Werlyb will seemingly play it into anything and relentlessly win with it.

I wouldn't be so sure. Jax counters Gnar, or so the theorycraft goes. I wanna see him fight a Renekton or Irelia before saying he's that good.

Sexpansion posted:

He fed at worlds but he's still a vast update over like 80% of the junglers in competitive. Definitely a guy who could become truly world class if he could be convinced to shape up, compared to like Airwaks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Dexter aggressively flashing over a wall and snowballing someone with full health as Nunu is probably my favorite league play of all time. I think Dexter ended up dying, or the other person just walked away.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good job Giants. Quality laning with some hiccups as the game went on.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Transient People posted:

He snowballed out of control just yesterday against mimer's renekton but mimer is poo poo so who knows. Still think its worth to ban him so you don't have to bet it all on picking a top lane counter that will probably fall off late game no matter what.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe its because I haven't watched pro lol since S2, or ive been watching a lot of pro dota, but games hitting 35 minutes with under 20 kills seems even more passive then usually, and this is for a game that used to be known for 20 minutes of nothing happening.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Maybe its because I haven't watched pro lol since S2, or ive been watching a lot of pro dota, but games hitting 35 minutes with under 20 kills seems even more passive then usually, and this is for a game that used to be known for 20 minutes of nothing happening.

It's an EU LCS thing, not a League thing. Most NA and Korean games are usually significantly more active and less incredibly clown-y (though NA is only marginally better), and Chinese League is extremely bloodthirsty apparently.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

AParadox posted:

He snowballed out of control just yesterday against mimer's renekton but mimer is poo poo so who knows. Still think its worth to ban him so you don't have to bet it all on picking a top lane counter that will probably fall off late game no matter what.

Yeah, fair. I'd definitely want to see like, Fredy's Lissandra vs Werlyb's Jax but if you can actually force him to play worse with a ban, do it. It's the Wickd's Principle at work.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

It's just EU being EU. Games aren't more passive, it's just that stupid mistakes happen less, map control is a bit tighter, and we've just seen two teams who had a very good idea of what the gently caress they were supposed to be doing executing their strats to win in convincing fashion. The next game should be a much sloppier, kill-heavy game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Turtle Sandbox posted:

League has never been as kill-heavy as DOTA for a lot of reasons, but these games haven't been particularly low in kills. So this is probably about the average for competitive league right now. There's no buybacks, remember, so if you ace a team in the late mid game or end game you can often end the game right there.

Edit: If you want bloodthirsty watch Chinese league, all they do is fight and ignore objectives.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm just waiting for UoL to blow out Elements and make people angry.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Jax is a counter to Gnar? Jax seems like a terrible matchup into both Renekton and Gnar, and he completely power-bombed both of them.

I'm not sure though. I haven't seen a lot of Jax since Gnar came out. This game might have been the first time I've seen the two matched up in competitive.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lightning Knight posted:

It's an EU LCS thing, not a League thing. Most NA and Korean games are usually significantly more active and less incredibly clown-y (though NA is only marginally better), and Chinese League is extremely bloodthirsty apparently.

Chinese league is super clowny.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Libertine posted:

Jax is a counter to Gnar? Jax seems like a terrible matchup into both Renekton and Gnar, and he completely power-bombed both of them.

I'm not sure though. I haven't seen a lot of Jax since Gnar came out. This game might have been the first time I've seen the two matched up in competitive.

Jax destroys Gnar in theory because his leap outranges hop (so gnar has no escape), he ignores autos (so forget about proccing hyper) and he has a stupid huge defensive steroid (so all of Gnar's good bases go into the shitter when Jax presses R). And he gets stronger as the fight goes on while Gnar gets weaker because of his post-morph phase. Renekton is traditionally a considerably worse matchup for Jax than Gnar, because of how a lot of his damage can't be nulled by Counterstrike. This is all theory, mind, because I can confirm this is literally the first Jax/Gnar pro lane ever, but it's what I've observed in every elo I've spectated in soloqueue, from challenger to trashcan.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Another Xerath blind pick... Don't do this to me, Roccat.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

That all makes sense. I just figured that the ubiquity of first-pick Gnar and his kit versatility made him virtually uncounterable and also figured that Jax has a hard time getting that first foothold against almost all the meta picks, but those justifications seem to be clear advantages in many ways and Werlyb especially seems to have no problem playing it into Gnar.

Aumanor posted:

Another Xerath blind pick... Don't do this to me, Roccat.

With the Fizz response. Hopefully Xerath has his dancing shoes.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Poke comp vs all in megadives. Somebody is gonna go 0-20 here.

EDIT:

quote:

That all makes sense. I just figured that the ubiquity of first-pick Gnar and his kit versatility made him virtually uncounterable and also figured that Jax has a hard time getting that first foothold against almost all the meta picks, but those justifications seem to be clear advantages in many ways and Werlyb especially seems to have no problem playing it into Gnar.

Gnar really had no counter until Jax got his Counterstrike CD buff. Shaving two seconds off it is just absolutely enormous and makes him really hard to fight with autoattack reliant champs, even if his health is still nerfed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Libertine posted:

They spent about four patches nerfing Gnar into the ground, before he was really, really dominant top lane and most melee top laners ended up doing gently caress all against him. Now his numbers have been hit so hard most melee carry tops with gap closers (Jax/Irelia/Aatrox) can poo poo down his throat right as he's about to transform back to mini-Gnar.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Gnar nerfs haven't really impacted his pro popularity at all. If anything he's more popular than he was at his peak because he's not banned permanently.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I think an early skirmisher's on Lee Sin is really smart. You can use it to invade or countergank early and then switch to chilling smite later.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I think it's far too much to call Jax a Gnar counter. Gnar can bully him pretty hard early on (Your 70 mana, 16 second cooldown counterstrike does not even come close to protecting you from Gnar's autoattacks) and he can, you know, always use his hop after Jax uses his jump. Being resource-less while Jax is limited by Mana is a big advantage early on too.

I wouldn't look at Giants v. CW as evidence either way with the strong jungler presence in the lane during the first few minutes.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Azir is so good in competitive.

Edit: drat Jankos is good.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 23, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

I think it's far too much to call Jax a Gnar counter. Gnar can bully him pretty hard early on (Your 70 mana, 16 second cooldown counterstrike does not even come close to protecting you from Gnar's autoattacks) and he can, you know, always use his hop after Jax uses his jump. Being resource-less while Jax is limited by Mana is a big advantage early on too.

I wouldn't look at Giants v. CW as evidence either way with the strong jungler presence in the lane during the first few minutes.

That assumes Jax is going to hop before Gnar does. That's a bad assumption to make because he won't unless the jungler's about to poo poo on Gnar with a gank, precisely because if Jax hops first he loses. I'm not saying it's an EASY countermatchup, because it requires you to play well and very precisely time your counterstrike so Gnar gets no Hyper procs on the approach (or else he'll kite you), but a flask + tele start gives you enough mana for persistent aggression. I'll cop to the fact that this is still theory until we see more Jax/Gnar though. One match ain't data.

And on a more current note, goddamn Vander. He's on fire after that shitshow yesterday! Guess Roccat is less of a fraud than Gambit.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Nukeduck didn't hit a single charge of ult during that post-dragon fight.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Transient People posted:

And on a more current note, goddamn Vander. He's on fire after that shitshow yesterday! Guess Roccat is less of a fraud than Gambit.

I think Vander and Jankos have always been really really solid players. It's the rest of their roster that's always been super inconsistent.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Was nukeduck as meh yesterday as he's been today?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
The more competitive I watch this season, the more convinced I am that dragons are incredibly important and junglers who are able to both be relevant and secure objectives (ie. Lee Sin but not Elise) are going to be really, really valuable.

Hypocrisy posted:

Was nukeduck as meh yesterday as he's been today?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"OVERPOW TRYING TO BECOME THE KAZEKAGE!"

Quickshot you are irrepressibly nerdy. Irrepressibly!

• Locked thread