Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Megiddo posted some artwork for The Holocaust Messiah, which you might recall is their third album that has been "almost ready" to be released since loving 2003.

I'm still refusing to believe anything until I actually have the album in my hands.

Meanwhile enjoy this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97MnqfiIvHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

comes along bort posted:

e: if you want a quick verification of the stagnation, listen to your local modern buttrock station for a little bit, then try to distinguish bands and songs from the past five years versus stuff from 10-15+ years ago

Yes, truly buttrock has devolved into a mass of unoriginal hacks since the glory days when such luminous acts as Cinderella and Great White loomed large.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Have we reached peak brutality?

Last Days of Humanity got pretty fuckin close on Putrefaction in Progress.

Oliver Reed posted:

Okay, that Cerebral Engorgement album is hilarious. Requesting other ridiculous slam. Insanely graphic, grody song titles are a must.

Artery Eruption?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Crazy Larry posted:

Yes, truly buttrock has devolved into a mass of unoriginal hacks since the glory days when such luminous acts as Cinderella and Great White loomed large.

Yet you can differentiate between Cinderella and Great White well enough to know they were separate bands, unoriginal hacks though they may be. Can you really tell a Seether and Five Finger Death Punch tune apart from each other?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Yet you can differentiate between Cinderella and Great White well enough to know they were separate bands, unoriginal hacks though they may be. Can you really tell a Seether and Five Finger Death Punch tune apart from each other?

Yes. I'm not actually sure I could identify a Great White song - they're just a name that pops up on one of the five different hair metal Pandora stations I have (please don't ask me how I parse the difference between the twenty different 90's grunge, post grunge and alt rock stations I have.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

comes along bort posted:

Seether and FFDP aren't really very similar.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

comes along bort posted:

Yes.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

comes along bort posted:

Can you really tell a Seether and Five Finger Death Punch tune apart from each other?
Can I get thread cool points for never having listened to either?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
In an age when metal music alone ranges between Pathfinder, Bolt Thrower, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Agalloch, Machinae Supremacy and whatever, I find it exceedingly difficult to take someone saying "the diversity of music has dropped off significantly" in any way seriously.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nordick posted:

In an age when metal music alone ranges between Pathfinder, Bolt Thrower, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Agalloch, Machinae Supremacy and whatever, I find it exceedingly difficult to take someone saying "the diversity of music has dropped off significantly" in any way seriously.

Yep, thats pretty mental.

Sure, there is some poo poo genres but there is plenty to choose from with many variations within the subgenres. Hell, metal was / continues to be made fun of for the millions of subgenres there is.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

comes along bort posted:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/07/26/is-pop-music-evolving-or-is-it-just-getting-louder/

Most of the studies focus on pop music (though metal is technically a subsection of pop), but the idea is the same. What's the last truly new thing in metal? Djent? Yay, warmed over Meshuggah riffs from 20 years ago. Most everything else is just ticking off a genre checklist. Hey that band really sounds like old Exodus. Hey that band really sounds like Obituary, etc. etc.

The irony is our access to music has never been wider nor more easy and open. Maybe the focus on rehashing the past is a function of the increasing homogeneity of modern music, since it's easier than ever to hear more diverse material from decades past, even (and maybe especially) the more obscure stuff.

e: if you want a quick verification of the stagnation, listen to your local modern buttrock station for a little bit, then try to distinguish bands and songs from the past five years versus stuff from 10-15+ years ago

Metal is a pretty stagnant genre but linking to some crap about the loudness war isn't a very good way of arguing that.

Vintersorg posted:

Yep, thats pretty mental.

Sure, there is some poo poo genres but there is plenty to choose from with many variations within the subgenres. Hell, metal was / continues to be made fun of for the millions of subgenres there is.

Just under half of those are not sub genres in themselves but descriptors. The genres on that page have all existed for more than 20 years.

MrBling posted:

Megiddo posted some artwork for The Holocaust Messiah, which you might recall is their third album that has been "almost ready" to be released since loving 2003.

I'm still refusing to believe anything until I actually have the album in my hands.
Nice art of satanic batman. It would be cool if he actually releases the thing, has it been recorded since 2003 or just written and ready to be recorded?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

neways, Supervoid is a pretty cool band

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A human heart posted:

Metal is a pretty stagnant genre but linking to some crap about the loudness war isn't a very good way of arguing that.

The article discusses the decreased variety of other factors like pitch and timbre, which unlike brickwalling aren't a function of advances in recording technology. One could argue for vague market forces leading to a homogenization of songwriting and production, but considering the chaos that's made up the music industry for the past decade and a half I'm not sure that fully accounts for it.

quote:

Just under half of those are not sub genres in themselves but descriptors. The genres on that page have all existed for more than 20 years.

This is a big part of what I'm getting at; what variety there is, and I'm not saying there isn't any variety at all any more, has been pretty much the same for a couple decades now, with a relative handful of exceptions. It's not limited to metal; jazz went through a formalist phase about 40 years ago with the Wynton Marsalises and Stanley Crouches winning that war by declaring nothing new happening since 1970 despite being completely false. Few people outside academia are even aware classical music continued to be a thing after the turn of the 20th century. That could be what's happened to metal as well, that the established forms are more or less agreed upon at this point and all that's left is for revisionism to fully set in, which has already happened with stuff like retro thrash and OSDM worship.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not sure similarities in pitch and timbre are the cause of lack of development in metal though(even if you take their conclusions about music as a whole to be correct, which is a bit iffy given that dataset), have those really been the changes that led to new sub genres in the past? The way songs are structured seems to have more to do with it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah I'm not arguing those things are a direct cause with metal, I was responding to someone else who had a hard time buying the argument that popular music in general had gotten more homogenized. And there's a bunch of other studies for anyone interested in googling.

From my last post I definitely take the crit theory/genre studies approach that it's more or less a phase other established forms go through. It's more an odd coincidence I guess that metal's creative stagnation came right when the big limiting factor of lack of access to information for finding new stuff (and probably more importantly having to pay for it) was removed. And like I said earlier, people are definitely more open-minded now which leads me to think there's a desire for more variety even within genre, which to me seems like the big reason why there's a renewed interest in stuff from 20+ years ago.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Varg posted:

neways, Supervoid is a pretty cool band

One of my favorite discoveries of late. I guess they don't play out of Pittsburgh much but Filaments is a killer album. Reminds me a lot of Soundgarden.

https://supervoid.bandcamp.com/album/filaments

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

A human heart posted:

Nice art of satanic batman. It would be cool if he actually releases the thing, has it been recorded since 2003 or just written and ready to be recorded?

Pretty sure it has just been 90% talk all this time.

But at least he took the time to do that Sepulchre sideproject which was cool.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

loving of course Electric Wizard shows are both sold out in NYC and Philly already... should have bought those tickets as soon as they went on sale... :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

loving of course Electric Wizard shows are both sold out in NYC and Philly already... should have bought those tickets as soon as they went on sale... :(

I think all of their shows have been sold out for weeks now.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I might have to retract my previous statement about the new Blind Guardian album. I've been playing it some more and it's definitely growing on me surprisingly much.

I still wouldn't call it great and there certainly aren't any super hit songs like When Sorrow Sang or whatever on it, but it's not the snorefest I thought at first, either.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

I might have to retract my previous statement about the new Blind Guardian album. I've been playing it some more and it's definitely growing on me surprisingly much.

I still wouldn't call it great and there certainly aren't any super hit songs like When Sorrow Sang or whatever on it, but it's not the snorefest I thought at first, either.

Doesn't matter. Blind Guardian.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jXnZS3ouU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
gently caress A VEGAN

Body Count is the best.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Album trailer for the new Enslaved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFyu4ugMrXo

It's a video about the cover art, but it previews one of the songs throughout, and I think the snippet of the song at the end is also new. So hype. :neckbeard:

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still going through year-end lists. How in the everliving gently caress I missed out on Pyrrhon is now one of life's great mysteries for me.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I enjoy it when a band covers a song but modifies it.

Also Body Count is pretty dope. I think we established this a few pages back.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i used to like fear factory back in the day but they went downhill with obsolete.

i once threw a roll of toilet paper at burton c bell on stage at some hardcore fest in 2004 because they played an entire set of all their boring songs

UltraVariant posted:

I enjoy it when a band covers a song but modifies it.

Also Body Count is pretty dope. I think we established this a few pages back.

i've always been a massive fan of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Z8cW4UzrQ

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
On the note of Fear Factory, I probably haven't even listened to them in 10 years. I bet if I go back and listen to Demanufacture I'll hate it. There's a lot of stuff I used to listen to that is flat out embarrassingly bad.

I still have my CD racks from high school and there's some really terrible stuff in there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh man, some of the poo poo I used to love all the time as a kid. :3:

Being tricked into buying an album and the rest of it doesnt sound anything like the single put out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5srM2rQmMA

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008
Holy bajeepers just got on board the GridLink train and found out the tracks haven't been completed.... I hate it when I get into a band and find out they broke up relatively recently.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea they broke up, and now I am sad. The chaos of Longhena was one of my favorites from last year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Their guitarist has some neurological condition that will probably prevent him from ever playing again, so they had pretty good reason to disband.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Their guitarist has some neurological condition that will probably prevent him from ever playing again, so they had pretty good reason to disband.

Oh poo poo, that's terrifying!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Correction: they were breaking up anyway but the "brain inflammation" came as a double-whammy. Otherwise he would've just gone back to playing in Corrupted. Pretty :smith:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

On the note of Fear Factory, I probably haven't even listened to them in 10 years. I bet if I go back and listen to Demanufacture I'll hate it.

It's a very well produced album - though I'm sure there's some nostalgia factor involved for me. Just go back and listen to Zero Signal and see if you still like it, because that song's pretty much peak Fear Factory.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wasn't that part of why Discordance Axis broke up, or did Jon Chang find another guitarist with a career-ending disorder?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
In DA's case, Marton got tinnitus and began to suffer seizures from being too close to the amp. With Gridlink, Matsubara's injury happened after the breakup was announced - Chang announced that he was intentionally breaking the band up, for reasons including his desire to focus his effort on his Black Powder/Red Earth graphic novel series, and (most importantly) the fact that Longhena was the realization of Gridlink's ambitions, and it'd be pointless to keep the band going rather than just ending on a high note.

In my opinion, lots more metal and prog rock artists should have that view of things (looking at you, Yes and Metallica). Longhena was basically a flawless album in my view and I think it would have been pointless for future releases to compete against it.

...everyone here knows what a huge Chang/DA/GL fanboy I am so I'll stop the hyperbolic praise now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That makes sense for bands like Gridlink or Bolt Thrower that are strictly underground. Yes and Metallica hit their commercial peaks after their best works and will continue touring on nostalgia until they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You're right but I still cling to a vain hope that St. Anger and the recent Yes albums wouldn't have happened :sigh: