Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Anderson is a massive oval office but he's nowhere near as bad as Warner and anyone who says otherwise is an apologist for racism and thuggery and probably has an anti-asylum seeker agenda.

It's Australia's fault Anderson is a oval office anyway, he never said anything to anyone until Langer called him a "pussy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Byolante posted:

Did it hurt your feelings to listen to cricket pundits who don't think england are going to win the world cup. I have heard 2 podcasts since the first ODI loss to Australia last week say that they are still going to win.

Hardly, I am under no illusions about England getting thoroughly trounced at every turn during the world cup. In fact I welcome it as I think 50 over cricket is dead and should be binned. I've just not heard a decent Aussie pundit since Benaud (and he was awesome).

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Lungboy posted:

In fact I welcome it as I think 50 over cricket is dead and should be binned.

as an englishman i think that all sports and derivatives of said sports become irrelevant when england start to suck at them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
50 over cricket is loving poo poo though.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i'd rather have odis than t20s tbh; in the former you actually have a bit of a chance when you're a bowler

although cutting back on long, boring odi series and replacing them with something more interesting would be a good idea

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
T20 with thinner bats, with a batsman limited to no more than two a match so they learn to look after them.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I don't think Warner is as much a racist as he is an oaf

He's a white, wealthy Australian male. You're being far too kind to him.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

goatface posted:

T20 with thinner bats, with a batsman limited to no more than two a match so they learn to look after them.

a broken bat costs you penalty runs unless you prove that you knocked it in

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
ODIs encapsulate the joys of test cricket much better than T20. Games often swing multiple ways, the last ODI between SL and NZ was a good example, SL run through top order, game swings to SL, lower order NZ rip SL to shreds, game swings to NZ, SL top order fight hard and game swings back towards SL, NZ rip through SL batting line up and NZ eventually win. You see this over and over with ODI cricket.

T20 generally seems to be "team does well for a brief period of time, wins game". There are a few occasions with tense close finishes and impetus swings, but these are so contracted that a lot of the tension is lost.

The tweaks made to the ODI game of late have really improved it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy T20 cricket.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
The best things about T20 is you can play (or watch) a game after work before the sun goes down, and that for those not interested in cricket, it's a great way to get people into the sport, where they would hopefully drift towards enjoying ODIs and then tests as they start to understand the game and the subtleties (the tactics, the rivalries, the struggling player, the little battles, which bring about the most enjoyment) that are lost on those who just aren't interested in the sport and don't understand them (and I don't mean that as a criticism of anyone who isn't into the sport).

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

A genuinely excellent test series can get people into the game by itself - look at the 2005 Ashes and the way that it seemed to get lots of younger people to actually care a bit about cricket. Although that series is most probably a once in a generation thing and normally T20s do have that sort of role.

Getting some cricket back on terrestrial TV would help - its hard to get people to care about a game they can't really ever watch. I'm not actually sure whether there's even any free highlights of the World Cup this time - I can't remember there being any of the Ashes last year as well!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think there was a highlights thing last year, though I want to say it was on Channel 5 and therefore poo poo.

I might be confusing it with other poo poo England highlights on 5 though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

He's a white, wealthy Australian male. You're being far too kind to him.

And of course the thing that makes Warner much worse than all the other racist Australian dickheads is that he is really, really genuinely stupidly thick to go along with it. He's the complete package really.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

A genuinely excellent test series can get people into the game by itself - look at the 2005 Ashes and the way that it seemed to get lots of younger people to actually care a bit about cricket. Although that series is most probably a once in a generation thing and normally T20s do have that sort of role.

Getting some cricket back on terrestrial TV would help - its hard to get people to care about a game they can't really ever watch. I'm not actually sure whether there's even any free highlights of the World Cup this time - I can't remember there being any of the Ashes last year as well!

i don't disagree with that at all, you could argue that the massive upswing in support for the nz cricket team here at home has had more to do with our progress as a test team than our rise back to where we used to sit in terms of T20 and ODI performances.

you're right that a series of that quality could draw in non fans (i suppose in the same way that non-league fans get drawn into league through the state of origin), but the test team here in nz has drawn in more of the 'jaded old fans' than out right newbies to cricket.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
County cricket in England still costs too much money to watch, and probably will forever.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I remember when they had Dollar Days at the WACA for Sheffield Shield matches, you could have a whole grandstand to yourself.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The worst thing to happen to cricket in the UK was matches not being on free to air tv.

Just look at whats happened with Cycling in comparison. That sport is baffling to watch unless you're a hardcore nutjob, coverage is as long as a test match day and yet its popularity is soaring. Because its on free tv.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

Certiain world cup highlights have to be shown on terrestrial as part of the "crown jewels" thing. Unless I've imagined it, last time I think the deal was that no one else could show the highlights show until Sky had shown theirs, hence they were on at about 1 in the morning. I dunno if it's the same this time but I wouldn't be surprised. Sky are a benefit for England and for viewers overall but no way should they have such a monopoly. At least one test, one ODI and one t20 should be shown on terrestrial every summer.

I think the ECB are beginning to realise they shouldn't have shown their hand to Sky so early. There are lots of murmurings that the domestic t20 comp should be on terrestrial, probably brought about by the success of the Big Bash, which isn't a particularly good standard and is pretty much the definition of polishing a turd, but morons flock to it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If a bunch of people are willing to pay to turn up for a few hours and not be allowed to take drink in, the counties aren't going to interfere with it.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lionel Richie posted:

Anderson is a massive oval office but he's nowhere near as bad as Warner and anyone who says otherwise is an apologist for racism and thuggery and probably has an anti-asylum seeker agenda.

It's Australia's fault Anderson is a oval office anyway, he never said anything to anyone until Langer called him a "pussy".

Warners yet to physically assault an Indian player so I'd say they are at least as bad as each other. Anderson's probably worse.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

James was found not guilty of that spurious charge. I won't forward your post onto the ECB legal team but in future please don't libel.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Lionel Richie posted:

Certiain world cup highlights have to be shown on terrestrial as part of the "crown jewels" thing. Unless I've imagined it, last time I think the deal was that no one else could show the highlights show until Sky had shown theirs, hence they were on at about 1 in the morning. I dunno if it's the same this time but I wouldn't be surprised. Sky are a benefit for England and for viewers overall but no way should they have such a monopoly. At least one test, one ODI and one t20 should be shown on terrestrial every summer.

I think the ECB are beginning to realise they shouldn't have shown their hand to Sky so early. There are lots of murmurings that the domestic t20 comp should be on terrestrial, probably brought about by the success of the Big Bash, which isn't a particularly good standard and is pretty much the definition of polishing a turd, but morons flock to it.

I'm pretty sure that Andrew "Freddie, Pride Of St George, Top Bloke Me, Pedalo King" Flintoff said pretty much this on 5Live earlier this week, saying yeah it's great that Sky give cricket all this money but hardly anyone can see it so no-one wants to play it. Solution: put the Lords and Oval tests on terrestial as well as Sky

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of each format per tour would be more than enough.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the government shouldn't have taken home test matches off of the list of sporting events that have to be live on terrestrial tv imo. i'm sure home tests and i think the world cup final (?) are on the b list, where you have to have terrestrial highlights

apparently the last labour government were considering putting home ashes tests back on the a list but they couldn't change it before the last election and the coalition haven't touched it

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Here in New Zealand it's almost a non-issue because Sky's monopoly is so huge that basically everyone has it.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

apparently the last labour government were considering putting home ashes tests back on the a list but they couldn't change it before the last election and the coalition haven't touched it

I never agreed with that tbh, it just feeds the perception that the home Ashes series is the only thing that matters.

Of course the elephant in the room is that none of the terrestrial broadcasters actually want test cricket. They'd have it if they were given it, but they're not going to go out of their way to get it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a cost they can't afford. I don't know if the BBC would even know what to do with it any more. Stick it on a red button somewhere?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

If live cricket was going to be shown anywhere on terrestrial it would probably be Channel 5. They actually do a really good job with the highlights shows considering they must have to have a box and commentators throughout the whole day for the sake of an hour of highlights, and then get it wrapped up half an hour beforehand, or on the fly if play goes past half 6. I reckon they only do it in the hope that they'll eventually get thrown some scraps in the form of a live game or two.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

probably put it on bbc parliament and rename it "BBC Ashes" if they weren't sitting - I'm sure they've used it as a special channel during the summer recess a few times before, they definitely did for the olympics.

e: the people who produce the channel 5 highlights are the same people who did the channel 4 cricket coverage - most of the commentators are still the same, you get a slightly more bearable Mark Nicholas, Boycott and Simon Hughes... They also seem to share commentators with TMS: which is probably cheaper since the people they want to use are already there

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 24, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I always assumed they were just buying existing coverage and then gluing it together with their own hosts.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

They use the host broadcaster feed, which is Sky in this case, but they've got actual commentators live throughout the day and do their own interviews and whatnot, so it must be a pretty major operation considering it's all for one hour of highlights, especially when play is still going on when the show actually starts.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

aren't channel 9 showing the Ashes this year? If they decide to send their own crew rather than borrow the Sky coverage it wouldn't surprise me if they piggybacked on the Channel 5 stuff

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Just reading the guardian comment section on an article about sledging. You English really hate Warner lol. Its like you guys think he is some barbarian that Cricket Australia keeps in a little cage to be released on match day.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Lionel Richie posted:

They use the host broadcaster feed, which is Sky in this case, but they've got actual commentators live throughout the day and do their own interviews and whatnot, so it must be a pretty major operation considering it's all for one hour of highlights, especially when play is still going on when the show actually starts.
This is a really interesting article about the Durham test in 2013 which ended during 5's highlights show.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wish I could just subscribe to some kind of ICC Network through my Apple TV or something that lets me watch cricket no matter who is playing and where.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Broken Britain

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Sixers. Not a bad start in hostile territory.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Seams posted:

I wish I could just subscribe to some kind of ICC Network through my Apple TV or something that lets me watch cricket no matter who is playing and where.

I would pay mad coin for this.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Who is going to any WCC games?

I'm seeing Eng v NZ in the pool matches and the Wellington quarter-final. I loving hate limited over cricket, and the Wellington stadium is a real poo poo spectator experience. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Thinking of going to India v Pakistan at Adelaide