Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Yo ZigMidge, you're involved in some capacity with Roarockit, right? I think you mentioned teaching/outreach, specifically. An indoor park just opened up in town (with instructors, I think), and I might be able to get access to some arts grants through work. Had the crazy idea of doing a project like that, try to tie the two together. Produce some interesting board art in the process. What would you recommend as a good starter kit to get a handle on the process, and to do a pilot run of the course, as it were?

Also, any thoughts about 150mm reversed kingpin trucks on a longer street deck? Wedged front/dewedged back, 57mm wheels. Whatever deck you'd recommend for nice concave. Fracture decks are nice like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"

Zigmidge posted:

Why are stock bushings always so bad?

I was surprised how good new Indy stage 11 stock bushings were right from the beginning. Now when they've broken in a bit they're perfect.

naig
Jan 25, 2006

pugnax posted:

Do replacement bushings fit most truck brands? My old tensors are squeaky as hell.

Detach hanger and apply some stearine wax or silicone into the pivot cup. It's 95% of the squeaking usually.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Remember when changing bushings to not tighten the trucks too much. Often they feel very loose in the beginning, but they have to be used a bit to harden or something.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Yo ZigMidge, you're involved in some capacity with Roarockit, right? I think you mentioned teaching/outreach, specifically. An indoor park just opened up in town (with instructors, I think), and I might be able to get access to some arts grants through work. Had the crazy idea of doing a project like that, try to tie the two together. Produce some interesting board art in the process. What would you recommend as a good starter kit to get a handle on the process, and to do a pilot run of the course, as it were?

Also, any thoughts about 150mm reversed kingpin trucks on a longer street deck? Wedged front/dewedged back, 57mm wheels. Whatever deck you'd recommend for nice concave. Fracture decks are nice like that.

I sure am!

Stoked that you want to get something like this going. We've got a few options that you can look into personally to get familiar with the process. If you don't want to deal with board design, you can look at the Street Deck Double Kit. I linked the teacher's version because it ships with a mini-curriculum that can help you pad out your sessions with information in case you want to get into the technicals with the kids. I refer to it all the time, still.

Note that the deck in this is pre-designed and we only had small kids in mind when we whipped this up so many years ago. It's a short 32" x 7.75" that can shrink to as little as 31" x 7" if your lamination wasn't lined up. You might find it small to ride but it'll serve its purpose as practice/art board (I'm working with a couple of kids from OASIS on designing a larger size deck to use in those kits in the future). If you want to skip that and just start with custom designs, e-mail me (marcel at roarockit) and I'll hook you up with a list of what we sell that you'd need to start.

That should get you started, feel free to pm or e-mail me if you decide you do want to run with something like this. I help people figure out how to crowbar something unique like this into school. I'm actually trying to figure out how to do something similar with the indoor park nearby, myself.

re: Hardware, not sure what I would recommend. I prefer simple mellow concave and I kind of hate gearhead talk so I don't know poo poo about brands. I use Indy 149s on an 8.6" wide street deck of my own design. Kind of sounds like you intend to travel on it?

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 14, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
This park looks fun as hell for dicking around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzi9T-xIZZs

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Skating is the only thing getting me through this season in a good mood and now I've gone and thrown my back out for the third time since November.

Getting old loving sucks loving sucks loving sucks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I was at the park on Sunday and this kid about ten was scootering around. He was wearing a run DMC shirt. I was just imagining this little white kid listening to run DMC and has to laugh.

I need to get a helmet (and some balls) and drop into some mini ramps, then bowls. I haven't in 12 years and I am so scared. Flip tricks just make my shins hurt so I need some more options.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I drew the short straw and had to be the first one of my friends to drop in after none of us having skated vert in ~10 years. Got it first try (and every one after that). poo poo's scary until you do it.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

spwrozek posted:

I was at the park on Sunday and this kid about ten was scootering around. He was wearing a run DMC shirt. I was just imagining this little white kid listening to run DMC and has to laugh.

I need to get a helmet (and some balls) and drop into some mini ramps, then bowls. I haven't in 12 years and I am so scared. Flip tricks just make my shins hurt so I need some more options.

I never wore a helmet and I've hit my head in a cement bowl

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Golem II posted:

I never wore a helmet and I've hit my head in a cement bowl

Good for you?

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir
I think I broke my wrist being a dumbass at home. It doesn't hinder me from anything, I can still move it, there is no swelling, but I can feel the pain of broken bone. It hurts if I pick up a thing but I can type and make grip.

Also I have a strong cold so I feel defeated right now. Ollie status = still can't loving do it (idiot).

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
Are bones swiss ceramic bearings worth the price point? Anyone have any experience with them?

20matar
Jul 9, 2013

70fugir

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Depending on how embarrassed you might feel you could get a glow in the dark strip or something on your shoes. Or if you're in a park/bowl/one-spot situation you could look into some cheap rechargable portable lighting.

Reasons you need to be watching the Thrasher 2014 KOTR episodes:

- IMHO the best competition in skateboarding all year
- Ben Raybourn's "best vert" award
- Nyjah hitting 4 different challenges with one girl
- The "best prank" from team birdhouse
- A goddamn ton of amazing skating from all the teams, especially when it comes to attacking truly hosed up rails no one should be trying
- So far only one vid of people drinking their pee
- Tricks over girls twerking
- This years shots of moms and cops who can do kickflips

A bit late for it, but now I've watched it all today. What a great series. Nyjah is a machine. Lots of fun, both crazy and technical, quality stuff.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah it's always been unfair to call Nyjah some competition baby or whatever. He still kills it on the streets and really what else are you supposed to do when your dad makes your formative years about nothing but skateboarding? My man doesn't even know how to pay a bill if that SLS documentary wasn't bullshitting.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

oaok posted:

Are bones swiss ceramic bearings worth the price point? Anyone have any experience with them?

No. Get into ceramics if you downhill skate where heat tolerances is actually a thing. Nobody goes fast enough on a popcicle stick to make any use of them.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Ceramics don't even make a difference for downhill, unless you're racing at a top level and have too much money to spend, or you're trying to break records or something. They're more money and not any less fragile than Bones Reds, which you can buy cheap and clean and lube them and they'll last ages. Bearing failure is from sideloads, the actual speeds and loads that are put on skate bearings in the direction they're supposed to spin are nothing in comparison. The industry could use a switch to a bearing design that handles side loads better.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah i have a friend who races downhill at national level and it suprised me when he told me bearing are not as important as you might think for those guys. It's all about wheel choice for the racers.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Pretty much all of the high-level racers I've known and talked to run really cheap bearings. Wheel choice really is everything. All the different thanes have different feels and a lot of it is personal preference.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This has happened to me a second time:
I was searching youtube for the Chris Joslin True part and got this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7mVBbhCOls

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hell is gaining a passion for non-marketable skills.

All I want to do is skate ramp. I have dreams about it these days.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

http://sidewalkmag.com/skateboard-news/search-miraculous-full-video.html#03XOI5dxLRawBROo.97

Pontus Alv films are the best. Polar just re-upped a high quality version of an older one.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
So I'm completely inexperienced at skateboarding, but the other day I bought a crappy rear end longboard from K-Mart on a whim to play around with while my 3 year old learned to scooter. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and could stand up and push kinda okay before I ended up twisting my ankle pretty badly.

I'm considering going on a local classified site and buying a second hand decent longboard to play around with once my ankle is better. There seems to be lots of second hand Sector 9 boards around where I live (Melbourne, Australia) for fairly cheap. Is that a good idea? What kind of things should I be looking for? The board I have now was literally like 30 bucks and I imagine it's not much good. My long term goal is basically to be able to just cruise around for fun with my daughter once she gets better at scooting - I don't have plans to do tricks or anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

monkeu posted:

So I'm completely inexperienced at skateboarding, but the other day I bought a crappy rear end longboard from K-Mart on a whim to play around with while my 3 year old learned to scooter. I enjoyed the hell out of it, and could stand up and push kinda okay before I ended up twisting my ankle pretty badly.

I'm considering going on a local classified site and buying a second hand decent longboard to play around with once my ankle is better. There seems to be lots of second hand Sector 9 boards around where I live (Melbourne, Australia) for fairly cheap. Is that a good idea? What kind of things should I be looking for? The board I have now was literally like 30 bucks and I imagine it's not much good. My long term goal is basically to be able to just cruise around for fun with my daughter once she gets better at scooting - I don't have plans to do tricks or anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My first longboard was/is a Landyachtz Tugboat (30 x 9.25) Complete. It's the bigger cousin of the Dinghy (28.5 x 8), which is their compact longboard.

I really had a lot of fun learning and only fell once or twice, was constantly smiling. Didn't wear a helmet but have not hosed myself up yet commuting four or five blocks daily for several months. Haven't used it much since the winter though.
Also once or twice I turned in a parking lot and got wheelbite and flew off. Landed on my feet both times, but scary stuff. Not sure what caused it those two times that hasn't caused it since. I don't usually turn TOO hard, so maybe I just inadvertently avoid it most of the time. It could be I need bigger risers, it does already come with some.

Anyway, I've had a lot of fun learning on my tugboat and I'd recommend it. I am kind of fat and it is totally ridable by me so I'd imagine it'd be perfect for just about anyone. I got mine for $140 which I think is totally reasonable but I guess it's sort of high as an entry fee into something you've never tried before. If I can learn, anyone can learn, though, I'd say, and it's a fun board.

I can't seem to handle sidewalks very well, though. It's like bounce bounce bounce bounce LEDGE TOO HIGH FALLING OH GOD and I guess maybe it'd be easier if I could early grab or ollie or pop up on my board or go faster maybe? But I've never been able to figure it out and it means I usually ride in the street.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Zenga Bros make some of the best films out there. Super creative stuff.

https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/118643506

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I somehow had no idea that Ryan Sheckler was...well, Ryan Sheckler. I assumed he just had a girl-crush army, not a reality show based girl-crush loving DEATH STAR.

Oh trust me, it's pretty loving terrible. I went to a demo like three years ago, right before my local skateshop closed down all together, and Sheckler was one of the pros that was supposed to be there. Normally there' maybe 50 kids there, mostly guys, with the exception of one girl whose there because she's one of the guys, but this time around there were at least 40 girls. I go get my picture with Sheckler, and that was the last I saw of him. He disappeared in a crowd of at least 20 girls. It's pretty sad.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Skateboarding season is go! So excited! Started it off with a bang, third session, slammed my shin into the corner of a metal curb so hard I cut it to the bone and had to get a shitload of stitches. Oh my god why. Ah well, skate or die I guess - I think I can get back on it in two to three weeks. I hope you all get a better start to the season than I did!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mine never stopped! I have perma bruises on my knees and elbows from learning how to skate mini-ramp, all winter.

I can't wait to take what I've learned to all the bowls outdoors. I'll get to flow lines all day and not have to walk up a loving hill once!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Greenplastic posted:

Skateboarding season is go! So excited! Started it off with a bang, third session, slammed my shin into the corner of a metal curb so hard I cut it to the bone and had to get a shitload of stitches. Oh my god why. Ah well, skate or die I guess - I think I can get back on it in two to three weeks. I hope you all get a better start to the season than I did!

Snow is just about all melted here in Denver. Need a new deck but season is basically a go go.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Greenplastic posted:

Heal up quick.

I did something similar once on a concrete ledge. After the impact I thought "hmm, I wonder if that's bleeding?" I rolled up my pants leg. "Awesome, I can see my shin bone. I guess I'll go get stitches now".

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Snow is just about all melted here in Denver. Need a new deck but season is basically a go go.

Alright, you talked me into it.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Heal up quick.

I did something similar once on a concrete ledge. After the impact I thought "hmm, I wonder if that's bleeding?" I rolled up my pants leg. "Awesome, I can see my shin bone. I guess I'll go get stitches now".

Yeah! I thought my elbow took the hardest hit, and thought "aww, probably gonna have a bump on my shin", you know, those that hurt so much when you 360 flip your board into it - then I pulled up my pant leg and it was just a hole. I told my friends "I'm gonna go get stiched up", and 60 seconds later I was hailing a cab, wrapping a scarf around it to stop the bleeding. It hurts surprisingly little though, so I think I'll be back soon. Gonna work on back tails this season!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Alright, you talked me into it.

Whoa, don't go too crazy.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Ive always wanted to skate and just got a $50 amazon gift card

is there such thing as a decent premade board for around $50 and if so which one is it because i'm ready to take my first hit

naig
Jan 25, 2006

Suvilahti DIY, February:

Now it's already clean and dry and season is opened. Just way too easy to forget that it's only +5C outside and you should not stop for resting without putting additional clothing on...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Any Pittsburgh guys skating in Carnegie this week? Pitcher park is ready to ride.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Cute as heck posted:

Ive always wanted to skate and just got a $50 amazon gift card

is there such thing as a decent premade board for around $50 and if so which one is it because i'm ready to take my first hit

Typically you would expect to spend around $150 on a complete setup for street skating or skating at the skate park. You might try searching amazon for similar complete setups like this: http://skately.com/shop/complete-skateboards/width-1652
There's a lot of crap out there in the "complete" skateboard market, but trying to find brands like in the link above will at least get you a quality deck I would think.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That park looks fun as hell.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Typically you would expect to spend around $150 on a complete setup for street skating or skating at the skate park. You might try searching amazon for similar complete setups like this: http://skately.com/shop/complete-skateboards/width-1652
There's a lot of crap out there in the "complete" skateboard market, but trying to find brands like in the link above will at least get you a quality deck I would think.

I found an Enjoi complete for $70 and got that. I'll eventually hit up an actual skate shop and spend more money on a better kit, i just wanted something cheap and easy to get my feet wet.

Kit I got comes with Core Trucks, 52mm TGM Goth Logo Wheels, Amphetamine Abec 5 Bearings, Black Diamond Griptape, 1" Hardware and 1/8" risers.
Idk what any of that means but I'll find out soon I guess.

Cute as heck fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
It means you're gonna go skate and fall down and get better. Have fun! I rode an enjoi right around when they were getting established (2001?) and liked it. I remember it being really concave and thinner than I usually rode, and but I broke it pretty quickly coming down some stairs. No idea what the decks are like today.