Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I guess I interpreted it more as "How did this girl succeed at all professionally if she can't participate in a mandatory meeting/talk to another person." I do get that she's probably just crazy talented, whether or not she's always so on edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My impression is that the studio just hires everyone because they're desperate. I mean, they already have Tarou, and they apparently hired that person who came to the interview with nothing but "this place is closer to my house".

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its obvious they just wanted to hire more girls, besides the guy who had connections only the girls passed. its deep satire on the sexism in japanese business

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like all the new characters, they manage to differentiate themselves nicely despite joining an already stellar cast. Andou and her enthusiasm (and hair) are my favorite of the bunch.

Oh right, and Musami is well damned screwed, aren't they.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wonder what happens when we go even further beyond?

Tarou 3 with hair going down to his knees would be a new level of obnoxious, I agree. :v:

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wonder what happens when we go even further beyond?
This:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i hate the sniveling moe girl who acts like a 6 year old, because it's completely at odds with the great professional characterization of everyone else up to this point. good luck miyamori, I believe in you.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Scared girl is gross, hair streak girl is best.

(professional not-commuting girl is second best)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

i hate the sniveling moe girl who acts like a 6 year old, because it's completely at odds with the great professional characterization of everyone else up to this point. good luck miyamori, I believe in you.

Oh come on, the director is more moe than Ai-chan.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Scared girl is gross, hair streak girl is best.

(professional not-commuting girl is second best)

Now that I actually watched the episode, I can second this. Also, loving lol the book owner just loving ruined Musani's day. I'm sure the number of times that sort of thing happens in real life is depressingly high, but I'd be curious to know how many shows that actually come out decently well have to deal with total re-starts like that.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if anybody here has watched Paranoia Agent, but I've started watching it and reached episode 10, which is a filler episode about an animation studio that's working on an anime adaptation for the pink dog mascot that's prevalent throughout Paranoia Agent. The episode made me instantly think of Shirobako and Tarou 'cause there's this dude named Saruta who has to be at least 10 times worse than Tarou:

I wanted to strangle this guy through my TV screen...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

They have the same VA, too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Sadly enough she is a pretty realistic portrayal of some people in the work place lol

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

krnhotwings posted:

I dunno if anybody here has watched Paranoia Agent, but I've started watching it and reached episode 10, which is a filler episode about an animation studio that's working on an anime adaptation for the pink dog mascot that's prevalent throughout Paranoia Agent. The episode made me instantly think of Shirobako and Tarou 'cause there's this dude named Saruta who has to be at least 10 times worse than Tarou:

This episode felt like an homage to that episode, right down to the dolls explaining the process.

Having the same VA is just amazing icing on the cake.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

dogsicle posted:

I guess I interpreted it more as "How did this girl succeed at all professionally if she can't participate in a mandatory meeting/talk to another person." I do get that she's probably just crazy talented, whether or not she's always so on edge.
She's kind of over the top but after spending a few years working with the kind of creatives in the show, she's not really that far-fetched. There's so little space for personal growth that talented people can end up having a comfortable bubble put around them that enables them to work, at the cost of things being a nightmare the moment you need them to do something new (or have to interact with them). The way characters like the director are depicted in the show, it's not unreasonable for her to be terrified of saying something in error and immediately regretting it.

Working with someone like that would be incredibly frustrating, either way. I'm curious to see whether they're going to give her some growth in the rest of the series or she'll just be a problem that the other girls have to handle.

I think the bubble they had around Sugie in the first arc is kind of an analogue. In that case he turns out to be very relatable and skilled and a good teacher, but you can tell most of the characters had just decided that it wasn't possible to interact with him, or that he was inflexible, or that they shouldn't bother him. Once something like that is in effect long enough it becomes a self-reinforcing rule. I've worked with a considerable number of people who, for whatever reason, ended up walled off in their own little silo at work. Some of them were incredibly productive and smart but management/producers had decided they were too difficult to handle/manage and just left them to their own devices.

(I was one of those people for a while, actually, and it was pretty depressing. I tried hard to avoid letting that happen to my reports when I moved into a production role later.)

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

They have the same VA, too.

Neeksy posted:

This episode felt like an homage to that episode, right down to the dolls explaining the process.

Having the same VA is just amazing icing on the cake.
Wow, I had a feeling they were done by the same actor. Makes me wonder just how much planning is put into Shirobako...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Kaelan Zero posted:

She's kind of over the top but after spending a few years working with the kind of creatives in the show, she's not really that far-fetched. There's so little space for personal growth that talented people can end up having a comfortable bubble put around them that enables them to work, at the cost of things being a nightmare the moment you need them to do something new (or have to interact with them). The way characters like the director are depicted in the show, it's not unreasonable for her to be terrified of saying something in error and immediately regretting it.

Working with someone like that would be incredibly frustrating, either way. I'm curious to see whether they're going to give her some growth in the rest of the series or she'll just be a problem that the other girls have to handle.

I think the bubble they had around Sugie in the first arc is kind of an analogue. In that case he turns out to be very relatable and skilled and a good teacher, but you can tell most of the characters had just decided that it wasn't possible to interact with him, or that he was inflexible, or that they shouldn't bother him. Once something like that is in effect long enough it becomes a self-reinforcing rule. I've worked with a considerable number of people who, for whatever reason, ended up walled off in their own little silo at work. Some of them were incredibly productive and smart but management/producers had decided they were too difficult to handle/manage and just left them to their own devices.

(I was one of those people for a while, actually, and it was pretty depressing. I tried hard to avoid letting that happen to my reports when I moved into a production role later.)

I've definitely met people who have a huge amount of talent, but have super-lovely or weird attitudes. Sometimes their skills will be amazing enough to overlook it, but there are probably limits.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please remember that one of the more senior artists at the studio is a woman who wears goth-loli outfits to work every day. And insiders have said that her character was inspired by a real (unnamed) person.

Creative types are weird. Someone having pretty severe social anxiety seems like it would barely rank above a 5 out of 10.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Especially in an industry as strange as the anime industry. When the workers are being paid almost not a living wage and having to work crazy hours, you've got to put up with some of their eccentricities.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Especially in an industry as strange as the anime industry. When the workers are being paid almost not a living wage and having to work crazy hours, you've got to put up with some of their eccentricities.

Let just be clear, it's not a living wage. That's why we get stuff like this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Let just be clear, it's not a living wage. That's why we get stuff like this.

Oh cool, they got funded. Not by much more than they asked, unfortunately, but it's a start.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

krnhotwings posted:

Let's all take a moment and remember how great Satoshi Kon was.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYUFBnAmK28

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That was a good episode. The director usually makes me cringe rather than laugh, but the composer meeting was hilarious.

Also, a reference to the NAMC YS-11? This show is on my level.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

StandardVC10 posted:

That was a good episode. The director usually makes me cringe rather than laugh, but the composer meeting was hilarious.

Also, a reference to the NAMC YS-11? This show is on my level.

The YS-11 was also featured in 5cm/sec, one of my favorite anime movies.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Apparently they're making an Exodus OVA

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Bakanogami posted:

Please remember that one of the more senior artists at the studio is a woman who wears goth-loli outfits to work every day. And insiders have said that her character was inspired by a real (unnamed) person.

And NOW we know why she's goth loli-ing it every day. I liked today's episode because for now things to be back on track until the next inevitable hiccup haha. :3: I hope we can get gifs of the angel exercise if only cuz I was like "wtf is going on here"

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
The new episode kicked rear end. It was very satisfying to see a little more Initial D drifto action, and Funnystory guy getting hunted down while his lazy rear end is "working" at the driving range. Also, Gothloli-sama's wardrobe backstory finally.

P.A. Works needs to start production on Gothic Lolita Women's Koushien as soon as humanly possible.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm loving the running gag of Tarou getting poo poo on by the newbies just like he is by everyone else.

So Ogasawara took to cosplay when she couldn't properly portray the character she was designing and the habit stuck. I suppose creative types need whatever works to get their juices flowing

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mentat Radnor posted:

The new episode kicked rear end. It was very satisfying to see a little more Initial D drifto action,

In a Volvo 240, no less. :lol:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
...I cannot tell the difference between the original design and the improved one. Is there like a side-by-side comparison for them?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Mentat Radnor posted:

P.A. Works needs to start production on Gothic Lolita Women's Koushien as soon as humanly possible.

Agreed.

StandardVC10 posted:

In a Volvo 240, no less. :lol:

Also agreed here. I like how the Initial D Tokyo Drift stuff always takes place in the stupidest cars.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They sure try and get their money's worth out of those car 3D models....

This episode seems a bit too idealistic for me. I feel like it should have ended with them going to the author 'gently caress YOU, WE'RE GOING WITH THIS'. Or is that impossible?

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

They sure try and get their money's worth out of those car 3D models....

This episode seems a bit too idealistic for me. I feel like it should have ended with them going to the author 'gently caress YOU, WE'RE GOING WITH THIS'. Or is that impossible?

That's impossible. The creator(s) of a manga can kill an anime adaptation in the crib if they want to - or endlessly delay it like Takeuchi did with the Sailor Moon reboot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

jrdbnta posted:

That's impossible. The creator(s) of a manga can kill an anime adaptation in the crib if they want to - or endlessly delay it like Takeuchi did with the Sailor Moon reboot.

Hmm. Is that very different from the West, then? I seem to recall, for example, Ursula Le Guin not liking how Tales from Earthsea turned out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Hmm. Is that very different from the West, then? I seem to recall, for example, Ursula Le Guin not liking how Tales from Earthsea turned out.

Yes it is. Most manga creators don't make a fuss because they like to get paid, but they can mess with any detail they want.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Clarste posted:

...I cannot tell the difference between the original design and the improved one. Is there like a side-by-side comparison for them?

https://imgur.com/a/uIIwe

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

jrdbnta posted:

Is that what happened with Sailor Moon? I figured they just went up to her and were like "Look we can't keep just announcing it, we need to actually make it to keep getting money".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'd totally watch Gothic Lolita Women's Koushien. It's pretty fun to see the new girls quickly grasping just how useful and reliable Taouru-or-whatever his-name-is is.

The cloud sperging is real. :)

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 29, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's kind of incredible how one lazy jackass can gum up the works of something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

A friend works as a production assistant at Sunrise and said he (and a bunch of other staff) recently got transferred onto the Code Geass OVA project because the old production staff weren't keeping the director & animation staff in check so it was taking forever to get done.

Basically SHIROBAKO is real as hell.

• Locked thread