Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've been having a similar issue over the last few days. Embedded videos play fine, but ones loaded on Youtube pages hang while the status bar reads 'read i.ytimg.com'.

Bensa posted:

The only thing I can think of is an automatic update to Firefox or a change on YouTube's side causing the switch.

I noticed the issue after updating to the latest Firefox beta the other day, but I can't say there's a correlation because I hadn't visited Youtube for days before that.

Edit: Doesn't seem to be addon-related at least. Tried in safe mode, and got the same hang at 's.youtube.com'. Both video and the informational matter underneath hung with endlessly swirling progress markers.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I upgraded Firefox to version 35 and now I'm getting continouous crashes, stating Plugin Container .exe has stopped working Null Breakpoint reached. Afterwards I Iose all computer use, like nothing works anymore and when, I restart firefox it says that it might have deleted or removed? I have literally never run into this problem before 3 days ago.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Neo Helbeast posted:

I upgraded Firefox to version 35 and now I'm getting continouous crashes, stating Plugin Container .exe has stopped working Null Breakpoint reached. Afterwards I Iose all computer use, like nothing works anymore and when, I restart firefox it says that it might have deleted or removed? I have literally never run into this problem before 3 days ago.

Sounds like a profile issue. Follow the troubleshooting steps in the OP.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
If literally no programs work after Firefox crashes you have way more serious issues than a profile issue, run a Memtest or something

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

If literally no programs work after Firefox crashes you have way more serious issues than a profile issue, run a Memtest or something

It's a hard drive failure. I've already contacted Toshiba about it.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Somehow I glazed over that part of it.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Any way to force show controls on HTML5 video (ie gfycat.com)?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ArcaneMan posted:

You can add the "controls" attribute to the element with something like Firebug.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Does flashblock work yet?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ArcaneMan posted:

Right click, select Show Controls

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Amazing new Extension that will almost certainly replace one you're using now: uBlock https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/#firefox

Its a much more efficient AdblockPlus replacement, that uses way fewer resources.

Same filter lists, more options. Its really making a dramatic difference to my PCs performance this week.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

pseudorandom name posted:

Right click, select Show Controls

Thanks, but I meant force controls to be shown on load.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

wooger posted:

Amazing new Extension that will almost certainly replace one you're using now: uBlock https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/#firefox

Its a much more efficient AdblockPlus replacement, that uses way fewer resources.

Same filter lists, more options. Its really making a dramatic difference to my PCs performance this week.
Interesting. Does it have a point and click custom rule maker like AdBlock Plus Element Hiding Helper adds to ABP? Like, you can just click what you want to disappear?

I can't find screenshots telling me either way.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

wooger posted:

Looks like the first Firefox version was released 8 days ago, and might not be quite ready for prime time yet. The newer releases don't mention having solved these problems.

quote:

Notes for an official release / things that aren't working well:

For many resources the Firefox version will report double hits on the badge of the toolbar button or in the network log. This is a Firefox thing, and probably this issue is related.

The badge doesn't look good on different systems (OS X for example, see above).
It should look okay for those who use Firefox 36+, but even there moving the toolbar button to the menu-panel may mess it up (both the badge and the menu-panel).

The badge number disappears when navigating through bfcache.

If the current extension ID will not be changed, and custom update URL won't be specified for the pre-release, then once the extension will be sent to AMO, everyone will be automatically updated to that version.

Pop-up blocking is not thoroughly tested. I basically made a few random examples for myself, and only tested those.

I removed my ports/xpi branch, since the code has been pushed to the main project. If you had install scripts, then update their URLs.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Interesting. Does it have a point and click custom rule maker like AdBlock Plus Element Hiding Helper adds to ABP? Like, you can just click what you want to disappear?

I can't find screenshots telling me either way.

The latest version's release notes mentions fixing a bug involving the Element Picker, which sounds like what you're after.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

wooger posted:

Huh, I may have to replace Bluhell Firewall (amazingly lightweight, but zero options)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

isndl posted:

The latest version's release notes mentions fixing a bug involving the Element Picker, which sounds like what you're after.
Yeah it does and looking at what googling that gives me, it is. Thanks.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I switched from ABP to ad guard and have been pretty happy. If you're waiting for a proper release of ublock give it a try.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

wooger posted:

Thanks, this is pretty excellent!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got two questions about this uBlock:

1) I tried installing it from the link on GitHub, but Firefox gives me an error saying "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on GitHub." after it appears to completely download. Is there a way to save the file off of GitHub so I can install it manually?

2) I have no experience with installing add-ons from outside of the Mozilla store/whatever. Will this update itself automatically?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hooah posted:

1) I tried installing it from the link on GitHub, but Firefox gives me an error saying "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on GitHub." after it appears to completely download. Is there a way to save the file off of GitHub so I can install it manually?
Right-click on the "uBlock.firefox.xpi" on this page, Save Link As. Drag-and-drop it into the Add-Ons Manager (ctrl+shift+A).

quote:

2) I have no experience with installing add-ons from outside of the Mozilla store/whatever. Will this update itself automatically?
I don't think so, it's possible for it to but I think it says there is a known bug and a version that auto-updates will be on addons.mozilla.org soonishly.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The uBlock dev gorhill is responsive and has made a bunch of progress quickly. His Chrome extensions, http switchboard/umatrix use the same approach as uBlock (also on Chrome) but with much more power, akin to noscript.

This initial build for Firefox is working well enough for me, but will likely improve quickly and maybe lead to porting the other ones.

hooah posted:

I've got two questions about this uBlock:

1)
Whenever this has happened to me, it was caused by an SSL problem somewhere at my end. Are you up-to-date, and/or are you behind a work firewall / proxy of some sort?

Try using another browser / connection to grab the xpi and drag into the addons page.

2)
Yes it will auto update, at least, provided whatever is causing problem #1 doesn't persist for the update URL too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Alereon posted:

Right-click on the "uBlock.firefox.xpi" on this page, Save Link As. Drag-and-drop it into the Add-Ons Manager (ctrl+shift+A).

Thanks, this worked. I thought I'd tried that and gotten an html file, but I could be mis-remembering.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

wooger posted:

But what about all the custom rules I've already made? Will I now have to go to every single site I visit and reblock all the crap?

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*

Gorilla Salad posted:

But what about all the custom rules I've already made? Will I now have to go to every single site I visit and reblock all the crap?
You can use the backup feature in Adblock then in uBlock, go to the My Filters tab and Import and Append the file you made.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Fapos posted:

You can use the backup feature in Adblock then in uBlock, go to the My Filters tab and Import and Append the file you made.

I found that when I did this, it spit out an 11,000+ line file, because it was also exporting all the filter subscriptions. It was easier, for me, to do this:

Have both extensions active at the same time.
Open the AdBlock Plus filter window, go to your custom filters, select all the rows, and hit Ctrl+C to copy them.
Open the uBlock custom filters page, and then Ctrl+V to paste them in the provided text box.
Disable/remove the AdBlock Plus extension.

Took me all of 30 seconds. I definitely noticed page loading improvements. It's not night and day, but it was immediately noticeable.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
Ah I see what you mean! It seems like it'll only export your custom ones if you switch Adblock to the Custom Filters tab, then backup. Otherwise it exports the built in filter lists.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Does ublock have the narrower/wider selection options when choosing elements to block - like Element Hiding Helper?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well, I'm a convert.

I couldn't find a way to move AdBlock's Element Hiding Helper preferences to uBlock, but it's been simple enough to use the eyedropper to strip away the crap on the sites I've tested it on.

It did take me rather an embarrassing long time to find the eyedropper*, but everything certainly seems to be loading quicker.

* It looks greyed out and my eyes tend to pass right over stuff like that.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*

Sweevo posted:

Does ublock have the narrower/wider selection options when choosing elements to block - like Element Hiding Helper?

When you use the eyedropper on an element, it'll show a list of objects linked to it under Cosmetic Filters. Narrower ones are near the top while wider ones are at the bottom I think. You can just click on each item in the list to see what it blocks.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Anyone got any recommendations what the best youtube extension is that enforces playing the highest res video possible, allows player size customization etc? Currently using 'Youtube High Definition' which is OK but causes a weird flickering refresh of the video when the page first loads which I'm not a fan of. Also is there any way to duplicate the behaviour chrome has where you can drag images/links from the browser onto the desktop/explorer and they'll just seamlessly save? Finally got firefox working properly (bizarrely the nightly builds are orders of magnitude more stable and way less problematic than the stable version for me, I have no idea why) but I do miss some of chrome's usability features.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Add me to the uBlock fans. Feels like the browser has had an upgrade, it's a good bit nippier.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Color me interested, but how could you benchmark this kind of thing?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

the yeti posted:

There's probably not a huge difference in numbers, but page loads definitely feel snappier, like when I first got broadband in December 2002.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Generic Monk posted:

Anyone got any recommendations what the best youtube extension is that enforces playing the highest res video possible, allows player size customization etc? Currently using 'Youtube High Definition' which is OK but causes a weird flickering refresh of the video when the page first loads which I'm not a fan of. Also is there any way to duplicate the behaviour chrome has where you can drag images/links from the browser onto the desktop/explorer and they'll just seamlessly save? Finally got firefox working properly (bizarrely the nightly builds are orders of magnitude more stable and way less problematic than the stable version for me, I have no idea why) but I do miss some of chrome's usability features.

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Userscript is the Greasemonkey version. A standalone .xpi file for Firefox also exists. If you do use it, I really recommend staying on the developer version. Google is known to break stuff often enough that the "stable" versions can be broken for a while. I'm not sure if that has changed any.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Generic Monk posted:

Interesting. I've been using the same extension and haven't noticed the flickers. Granted, I'm on the stable channel.

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

Generic Monk posted:

Anyone got any recommendations what the best youtube extension is that enforces playing the highest res video possible, allows player size customization etc? Currently using 'Youtube High Definition' which is OK but causes a weird flickering refresh of the video when the page first loads which I'm not a fan of.

YouTube Center does auto pause, high res, player resizing and a bunch of other stuff. There is also a developer version which i started using when YouTube updated and broke the extension and it took a few weeks/a month for the regular version to get updated - you have to update it manually though so it is kind of annoying.

edit: too slow, but +1 vote for youtube center

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

the yeti posted:

http://vimcolorschemetest.googlecode.com/svn/html/index-c.html

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Thanks for linking to a browser-crashing page without warning :thumbsup:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Mr.Radar posted:

Thanks for linking to a browser-crashing page without warning :thumbsup:

Get a better computer? I'm on a several year old laptop at the moment and all that happened was it hung for a couple of seconds and then immediately resumed normal operation. (This is with AdBlock Plus installed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Get a better computer? I'm on a several year old laptop at the moment and all that happened was it hung for a couple of seconds and then immediately resumed normal operation. (This is with AdBlock Plus installed.)

Huh, maybe my session had just been open too long. Firefox was maxed at 100% of one core and 3 GB of memory for over a minute when I clicked it originally, after restarting it it loaded just fine.