Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dis astranagant posted:

Don't gently caress with chrome pyramids. Just don't. It's just not worth trying.

I think of those as Qud's equivalent of the yeti from Skifree.

I also encountered something called... a Leering Stalker, I think? Something like that. I ran into it while exploring underground beneath some ruins, which was a very nasty shock; I couldn't even scratch it and it kept blasting me with some huge rocket launcher type thing, so I ended up fleeing and never looking back.

I kind of like that Qud has honest-to-goodness Unthinkable Things that you don't fight, you just loving run from, and you don't go to the Forgotten Places where they dwell because that is where people go to die.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit Version 1.02, with modified Chest tables and a couple other minor tweaks (including a buff to the armor rules) is live!

I won! On my first try! Barbarians are/were pretty beefy I guess. There were a couple of scares, the main one happening on floor 5, after getting two "forced to previous room" obstacles in a row, I was afraid I would be left with no way of getting to the guardian. Getting the greatsword and platemail felt pretty great, especially since early on I got two magic wands in a row. It was a lot of fun.

Some things I was unclear on:
Bows and wands. They don't work for rerolls, the one that happens if you roll the same number as the monsters Tough, correct? And the number of rolls for each of them, is that the numbers of times you can use them against each monster?

Backtracking during the escape, I see that in the newest version you wrote that stairs are included. So that means both backtracking to the starting square of that floor, as well as moving to the guardian square of the previous floor?

And scrolls, can they be used at absolutely any time? If I fail a roll in combat and am about to get hit, can I then plop a fireball before I get hit?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Beeme posted:

I won! On my first try! Barbarians are/were pretty beefy I guess. There were a couple of scares, the main one happening on floor 5, after getting two "forced to previous room" obstacles in a row, I was afraid I would be left with no way of getting to the guardian. Getting the greatsword and platemail felt pretty great, especially since early on I got two magic wands in a row. It was a lot of fun.

Some things I was unclear on:
Bows and wands. They don't work for rerolls, the one that happens if you roll the same number as the monsters Tough, correct? And the number of rolls for each of them, is that the numbers of times you can use them against each monster?

Backtracking during the escape, I see that in the newest version you wrote that stairs are included. So that means both backtracking to the starting square of that floor, as well as moving to the guardian square of the previous floor?

And scrolls, can they be used at absolutely any time? If I fail a roll in combat and am about to get hit, can I then plop a fireball before I get hit?
I might need to make an FAQ, I think. Congrats on the victory!

Bows and Wands have been clarified in 1.03. Rerolls never count against the number of rolls you get for Clever/Quick combat.

Something I should find a way to clarify, but the way it was originally intended to work was that the stairways counted, but you were then automatically transported to the Guardian room. I'll see how a forced double-collapse works out for difficulty before clarifying either way, though.

It's a minor buff to them, but I'm going to go ahead and say that yes, you can use any scroll at any time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, it took more than a few hours, but I have a proper landing page set up now!

Greenhorn Game Design

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I was kinda confused by how torches work. You pick a direction, choose to use a torch, roll the room, and then get to decide if you enter it? Can you enter it later?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, it took more than a few hours, but I have a proper landing page set up now!

Greenhorn Game Design

Great! I sent out a tweet to the Dungeonfans and will mention it a bit on today's development stream as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

megane posted:

I was kinda confused by how torches work. You pick a direction, choose to use a torch, roll the room, and then get to decide if you enter it? Can you enter it later?
In order, yes and no. (The 'no' is more for the practical reason of not having to remember if you entered a room before, or just torched it.)

madjackmcmad posted:

Great! I sent out a tweet to the Dungeonfans and will mention it a bit on today's development stream as well.
Oh, jesus, I'm gonna get slashdotted.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im legitimately bad at roguelikes

ive never beaten a real one

#gamerconfessions

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oh, jesus, I'm gonna get slashdotted.

lawl, no, not even close. Sorry! Then again, I saw Unormal share it too, and people actually listen to him, so maybe.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That thing would honestly be pretty quick and easy to code as a fun weekend thing, but I feel like it's probably way more fun if you do it by hand.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hand-E-Nukes are weird. They hit everything for several maps for really random damage. Somethings take tens of thousands of damage, others don't even take 10.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Poison Mushroom posted:

In order, yes and no. (The 'no' is more for the practical reason of not having to remember if you entered a room before, or just torched it.)

I've just been jotting down the room's contents (for instance, M+1 if it's a monster with +1 to the roll) and not outlining it if I don't enter it. Makes it easy to tell entered and inspected rooms apart.

dis astranagant posted:

Hand-E-Nukes are weird. They hit everything for several maps for really random damage. Somethings take tens of thousands of damage, others don't even take 10.

Do they have a tendency to kill the user outright, or are they some sort of "smart bomb" that doesn't harm the operator?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've just been jotting down the room's contents (for instance, M+1 if it's a monster with +1 to the roll) and not outlining it if I don't enter it. Makes it easy to tell entered and inspected rooms apart.

Do they have a tendency to kill the user outright, or are they some sort of "smart bomb" that doesn't harm the operator?

I took 12 damage. I'm sure that could have been 10k if it wanted to.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been hella productive these last couple days.

S'xsyde FAQ!
Also includes two new, secret character classes!

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah, this is what I was going to do, but I ended up throwing my torch away before I had the chance.

Poison Mushroom posted:

S'xsyde FAQ!

I just realized there was something else I was unsure of: Owlbear's ability. Does it mean that he straight up does 10 damage at the start of combat? Because that's how I did it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Beeme posted:

I just realized there was something else I was unsure of: Owlbear's ability. Does it mean that he straight up does 10 damage at the start of combat? Because that's how I did it.
If it hits in the first round. I'll add that to the FAQ.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

If it hits in the first round. I'll add that to the FAQ.

Oh yeah, I figured it could be that, but it seemed kind of easy to avoid completely. Though I was playing a barbarian and had somehow gotten through that floor unharmed, so the 10 damage didn't seem like too much. I'd probably have felt differently were I playing one of the squishier classes.

As soon as I buy some dice I'll play this again, rolling digital dice just isn't the same thing.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 23, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Well, interesting little Qud bug: I was going to use the debug command that gives you 1000 xp to bump me up one or two levels to soften out the start, but apparently 1000 on Earth translates to 250000 Qudese :v: Level 25 right at the start softens it a bit too much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Well, interesting little Qud bug: I was going to use the debug command that gives you 1000 xp to bump me up one or two levels to soften out the start, but apparently 1000 on Earth translates to 250000 Qudese :v: Level 25 right at the start softens it a bit too much.

Wish for metal folding chairs and give them to Argyve to get level 2. If Tam has anything exciting you can buy a musket of him and kill him with it to get whatever nice weapons or armor you were eying. Shut the door first and no one will ever know.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

madjackmcmad posted:

Thirded'd. I picked it up during the winter sale and have finally been playing it. It's very pretty, you foom apart all sorts of bad guys and tool around dungeons looking for secret doors and treasure. If you're in this thread and have even a passing appreciation for shooting things via computer-device, go play.
There's secret doors? :monocle:

I'm admittedly bad at FPS games, but it's enormous bullshit how the game both spawns enemies in behind you and also doesn't have a minimap. I know there's an audio cue but it's never super helpful for "three floppy chickens appeared behind you".

Also what do goblets do? Just increase your score?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Poison Mushroom posted:

S'xsyde FAQ!

Roguelike solitaire? How the gently caress did I miss this?

edit: I'll have to set aside some time for this one. Haven't played a paper roguelike since Zombie In My Pocket.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 24, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Posting the game in this thread was a good idea. :3:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good commercial RL? I hate the cheap looking trash that looks like it was thrown together over someones coffee break

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good commercial RL? I hate the cheap looking trash that looks like it was thrown together over someones coffee break

Diablo 3 is what you're looking for. Enjoy!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

You son of a bitch

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

There are 3 big ones that I can think of off the top of my head, Tales of Maj'Eyal, it has a free version but you need to buy it to be able to buy the expansion. It is one of the biggest roguelikes out there. Graphics are a bit jarring until you get used to them though.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/233700/ , which is sci-fi and combines roguelike gameplay with classic rpg skill-checks, pretty sweet, tons of content.

Also Dungeons of Dredmor: http://store.steampowered.com/app/98800/ (disclosure, I work for the studio that made it), which was kind of the first roguelike on Steam, or close to it. There's been a couple threads on SA about it if you want to learn more about it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If you buy Sword of the Stars: The Pit, buy the Gold edition and all of the expansions.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Poison Mushroom posted:

Posting the game in this thread was a good idea. :3:

When is posting in this thread not a good idea? :v:

Now watch someone start a loving "what's a roguelike" derail

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait i'm confused what's a roguelike where am i

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Helical Nightmares posted:

If you buy Sword of the Stars: The Pit, buy the Gold edition and all of the expansions.

The thing that keeps me away from SotS The Pit is the collection of recipes. It's tedious to constantly check the wiki for all the million ingredients, but the alternative is gimping yourself by not using crafting or farming recipes by leveling up decoding stats. Also, I made the mistake by checking the hints & tips topic. I won't spoil it, but optimal inventory management relies heavily on shittiest tedium.

I know I shouldn't care, but after losing I don't get the feeling that I should've been more careful or whatever, but that I should've wasted time on something that feels more boring than work.

I enjoyed the game until these hung-ups appeared :smith:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tollymain posted:

@

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tollymain posted:

A maze of twisty passages, all alike

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

A dimly lit cavern floor, the center of which bears a dusty terminal glowing green in the inky depths. It is built for antagonistic nerds to procedurally antagonize antagonistic nerds. The screen flashes grimly. Try Again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

code:
..@.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

my dad posted:

When is posting in this thread not a good idea? :v:

Now watch someone start a loving "what's a roguelike" derail

The Poster points at the Roguelike Thread and incants "what is a roguelike"!

The Roguelike Thread is cast into the abyss!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tollymain posted:

Roguelike, the Tzar of Frustration.
Some kind of "videogame" that all these kids are playing nowadays. It is studded with Tin. It smells like Lutefisk.

Goddamnit now im playing Dungeons of Dredmor again. :arghfist:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Well, I made the player lay bombs.

...but I accidently made them all controlled by the player controller. So they each lay a bomb when you hit the button, and all move under the same controls.

It all works properly over the network though :D

Unormal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 24, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

Well, I made the player lay bombs.

...but I accidently made them all controlled by the player controller. So they each lay a bomb when you hit the button, and all move under the same controls.

It all works properly over the network though :D

You say "bug", I say "stress testing".

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

This reminds me it has been a long time since I played SuperBomber man coop. drat fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
In Dungeonmans I'm not clear on something: Are Stat boosts from Proofs of Stremf one-use or do they benefit future characters as well?