Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Turnquiet posted:

Because we are not toothless hillbillies or sorority girls looking for peach-flavored swill to make the next time the Alpha-Varsigma-Varsigma boys drop by more tolerable. :colbert:

You know what is fun? Paying VA ABC prices for Scotch and other spirits. I traveled to Arizona for Christmas and was reminded how cheaply I could stock my liquor cabinet there, and I bought lots of bottle to bring home. Got another bottle of Lagavulin 16 from Costco for $44... VA price? $102. I grabbed a fifth of Bulliet bourbon for $30 (VA $60), and my wife demanded I buy the Glenlivet gift box of the 12, 15 year French Oak, and 18 for $115 ($45, $60, and $104 = $209). Heck, I think Glenlivet is kinda soft and boring, but for those prices I wasn't going to complain.

At least we got neato stuff like Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky, and more importantly Reservoir Bourbon and Rye here. Shame it costs ~$45 for 375ml.

Though my inner leftist is glad the high prices are easy to funnel to local schools and infrastructures, I must admit I wouldn't mind the yokels in the State legislature opening up the way for Total Wine and Costco to clean house here. Raise my property taxes or something for gently caress's sake.

$60 for a bottle of Bulleit :psyduck:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

DoctaFun posted:

Reminds me of how spoiled I am living in SoCal. "What? WT101 is twenty-two American dollars?!? It's only eighteen at the supermarket down the street!"

Living in a state that has yet to move on from Prohibition sucks.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Speaking of Yamazaki 12, I went to Costco a couple weeks ago and they had tons of Hakushu 12. I almost bought it, but it wasn't worth spending $53 on a whiskey that was peated when what I really was immediately craving was the Yamazaki 12.

Today they had the Yamazaki 12 for $50! Hooray! If you are in California, take a look at your local Costco if you are searching for it. It's not the cheapest I've seen it (I think I paid $45 at Hi Times in Costa Mesa a few years ago) but it's still a good value if you ask me.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

DoctaFun posted:

It's actually $60 for the 1.75L, $33 for a fifth in VA

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Yeah, I meant to say handle there instead of fifth. Fixed now, but the point stands.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Turnquiet posted:

Yeah, I meant to say handle there instead of fifth. Fixed now, but the point stands.

Yep. $18/$40 currently in MoCo :(

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008

Glottis posted:

Speaking of Yamazaki 12, I went to Costco a couple weeks ago and they had tons of Hakushu 12. I almost bought it, but it wasn't worth spending $53 on a whiskey that was peated when what I really was immediately craving was the Yamazaki 12.

Today they had the Yamazaki 12 for $50! Hooray! If you are in California, take a look at your local Costco if you are searching for it. It's not the cheapest I've seen it (I think I paid $45 at Hi Times in Costa Mesa a few years ago) but it's still a good value if you ask me.

This is a great deal, stock up whilst you can. There is expected shortages of Yamazaki 12 in the next couple of months, back home (Australia) its virtually gone. The price is also going up (In Japan) in April so expect prices worldwide to rise too. Bang for your buck this whiskey is drat good.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Wolfgang Muthspiel posted:

This is a great deal, stock up whilst you can. There is expected shortages of Yamazaki 12 in the next couple of months, back home (Australia) its virtually gone. The price is also going up (In Japan) in April so expect prices worldwide to rise too. Bang for your buck this whiskey is drat good.

In that vein, I walked in to my local BevMo looking to grab a bottle of Hibiki 12 today, only to find that they were fresh out. The clerk said that he didn't know when they would be getting more in.

Instead, I walked out with a bottle of Redbreast 12 Cask Strength as a little birthday gift to myself. I think that the Whiskey Gods were trying to tell me something, because holy poo poo a 12-year, cask-strength, sherried Irish pot still whiskey for under $70 (including tax, but after coupon) may be the best value in anything ever.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
A moment of weakness and a credit card led to me adding a bottle of Black Grouse to the shelf of mid-priced booze. Considering the bargain-basement price tag, it's a serious contender for best value-for-money Whisky I've tried recently.

I am thinking I need to grab something non-peated next time I have no fiscal willpower.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Devil Wears Wings posted:

In that vein, I walked in to my local BevMo looking to grab a bottle of Hibiki 12 today, only to find that they were fresh out. The clerk said that he didn't know when they would be getting more in.

Instead, I walked out with a bottle of Redbreast 12 Cask Strength as a little birthday gift to myself. I think that the Whiskey Gods were trying to tell me something, because holy poo poo a 12-year, cask-strength, sherried Irish pot still whiskey for under $70 (including tax, but after coupon) may be the best value in anything ever.

How do you like the RB12 cask vs the regular? Ive had the RB15 /17? also and it doesn't justify the price increase.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The CS is better than the 15 imho.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

That Works posted:

How do you like the RB12 cask vs the regular? Ive had the RB15 /17? also and it doesn't justify the price increase.

The CS is basically RB12, except bottled at about 1.5x the proof (the current batch is 59.9%!) and non chill filtered. It's everything that's good about regular RB12 turned up to 11: Intense raisiny/autumn fruit, mocha/cocoa, and spice. For almost 120 proof, there's very little alcohol burn.

In other words, it's worth every penny and more - if this were a scotch rather than an Irish whiskey, they'd probably be charging upwards of $100 for it, and it would still be worth it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I had a bunch of the older RBs at a tasting a while back and was decidedly disappointed. Never tried the cask strength, though.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Ralith posted:

I had a bunch of the older RBs at a tasting a while back and was decidedly disappointed. Never tried the cask strength, though.

I've heard the same about the older RBs, though I've never tried them myself. The general Internet consensus seems to be, "buy RB12, buy the cask strength if you can find it, ignore everything else."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I dunno, I'd heard that forever but then my friend bought me the CS and the 15 for my birthday. The 15 was really, really nice. I liked the CS, don't get me wrong – fantastic whiskey. But I think the 15 is underrated actually. I would strongly consider buying another bottle for myself if I were in the "spend $80 on a bottle" mood.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kenning posted:

I dunno, I'd heard that forever but then my friend bought me the CS and the 15 for my birthday. The 15 was really, really nice. I liked the CS, don't get me wrong – fantastic whiskey. But I think the 15 is underrated actually. I would strongly consider buying another bottle for myself if I were in the "spend $80 on a bottle" mood.

I tried the 12 and the 15 side by side with a friend and I could tell the difference, but it was not so great that I'd spend 20-30$ more for it. My pallete may not be as sensitive as yours though. Only really been getting into whisky for about 2 years now.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I've been getting into whisky lately, and I wouldn't mind some recommendations for reasonably priced Japanese whiskys. I'm almost done a bottle of Hibiki 12, but I feel a bit underwhelmed by it since it doesn't have the complexity I was expecting, or perhaps it was too hyped up for me by friends. Keep in mind I'm still fairly new to whisky so I don't really have a preferred style or flavours yet, I'm willing to try anything other goons have enjoyed.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Sashimi posted:

I've been getting into whisky lately, and I wouldn't mind some recommendations for reasonably priced Japanese whiskys. I'm almost done a bottle of Hibiki 12, but I feel a bit underwhelmed by it since it doesn't have the complexity I was expecting, or perhaps it was too hyped up for me by friends. Keep in mind I'm still fairly new to whisky so I don't really have a preferred style or flavours yet, I'm willing to try anything other goons have enjoyed.

I had the same issue with hibiki, had no mouth coating feel and complexity and posters ITT swiftly advised me it is blended and thus normally used in highballs.

Yamazaki 12 is a far better choice for you I'd say

That being said I'm struggling to find a replacement bottle for mine; unsurprising after someone mentioned the other day it's going out of stock all over and they are raising prices in April

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
drat, I may have to cough up the cash for that. For that reason and since it's one of only like two or three Japanese whiskies I've seen in PA. :ohdear:

Gazhole
Jun 20, 2007

Them's some nice boots. Fo' thirty dollars yo' knows they's real leather

Sashimi posted:

I had a bottle of "Nikka Whisky From The Barrel" about a year ago which quickly became my favourite Japanese whisky, and even more quickly disappeared. Looks like it's fairly reasonable at £35 for 50cl. Worth it though, I loved it. Quite fruity.

We were all drinking it in my kitchen once and a friend, who never drinks whisky, was adamant he could handle it (it's 51% ABV). We all took a sip and he did a fantastic job of feigning enjoyment, which was suddenly ruined by his comment of "mmm smooth" in a voice like he'd just crawled through the desert for a week.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Sashimi posted:

I suppose Yamazaki 12 is reasonably priced for what you get, but it's still pricey, and there's been a bit of a run on it lately.

I just picked up a bottle of the Akashi White Oak blend. At under $40, I think it's the least expensive Japanese whisky currently distributed in the US. It didn't blow me away, but it's perfectly serviceable, and has a nice looking bottle.

Gazhole posted:

I had a bottle of "Nikka Whisky From The Barrel" about a year ago which quickly became my favourite Japanese whisky, and even more quickly disappeared. Looks like it's fairly reasonable at £35 for 50cl. Worth it though, I loved it. Quite fruity.

I really hope they start selling that over here, I've heard nothing but good things.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

I don't know why Japanese distillers don't release more product here in America. I've heard great things about Nikka from the Barrel, but it seems to be Japan/EU only. Otherwise, yeah, don't expect to see much of anything from Japan in the next few months.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They probably don't have the volume to support a global market.

Personally I'm taking a break from Japanese whisky for a couple of years. It was fun while it lasted but it's become way too popular and price and quality is suffering as a result.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Are there any Taiwanese brands other than Kavalan available over here? Cause that stuff is excellent.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

good jovi posted:

Are there any Taiwanese brands other than Kavalan available over here? Cause that stuff is excellent.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any other distilleries on Taiwan. I visited their distillery recently and can vouch that, like their whiskies, it is an excellent experience. Picked up a couple of their offerings I haven't seen in the States, the Podium (a blend of new and refill casks I think?) and their Distillery Reserve (aged in refill Islay casks).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Very interesting...

If I have in-laws in Taiwan, how obtainable might this be?

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
My local shop has a bunch of bottles of Bruichladdich The Laddie 16 for $88. Is this a good deal since it's discontinued?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Was just in the Chicago burbs and it was like everything was on sale! Picked up a bottle of Yamazaki 12, but really wasn't too impressed with it. Maybe it's my own fault for expecting it to be much more scotch like than it was. Solid though and it was only $45 so worth it I think. Also grabbed some Willett for $40 and W.L. Weller for $22. If I didn't love the city, I would move to the burbs for the alcohol savings alone.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

loud-bob posted:

My local shop has a bunch of bottles of Bruichladdich The Laddie 16 for $88. Is this a good deal since it's discontinued?
Whether it's a good deal depends on your local prices and budget, but I've been a big fan of everything I've had from Bruichladdich.

Wolfgang Muthspiel
Aug 1, 2008

Sashimi posted:

All the Suntory stuff is good but i think their older expressions are where the flavours really shine.

Try to find some of the Nikka whisky. Accessible should be varuios age statements of the following:

Taketsuru (a blend from both of the companies distilleries, has a little bit of everything)

Yoichi (bigger profile, similar to speyside scotch, touch of peat)

Miyagikyo (closer to lowlands in character) bottlings.

From the Barrel is quality for its price but still quite rough and a little one dimensional.

I would also recommend the Coffey Malt (barley but in a coffey still) and Coffey grain (distilled from mostly corn, bourbon-ish), these are fairly different in flavour but both still good.

As others have mentioned, Japanese whisky is booming at the moment and is quite difficult to get your hands on. Don't be afraid to check out whisky from other countries. Australia , Taiwan, India and Sweden all have quite strong showings internationally and all produce really interesting and unique products.

Wolfgang Muthspiel fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 28, 2015

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

ChickenArise posted:

Very interesting...

If I have in-laws in Taiwan, how obtainable might this be?

Well they'd have to take a trip to Yilan province where the distillery is. I'd estimate probably an hour and half drive or so from Taipei, but I'm not sure since we made some stops along the way. The tour is free and a nice way to spend an afternoon. All of their stuff is at the gift shop too, including small sample vials of all their offerings which made getting a taste of Kavalan Fino sherry cask (Jim Murray's New World Whisky of the Year in 2012) affordable. It was mindblowing stuff and the first time I felt an expensive whiskey was worthwhile. The stuff at the distillery are maybe 33% cheaper than the prices I see around here. Why not go visit the in-laws and enjoy Taiwan while you're at it?

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Tennessee whiskies that are better than jack and the same price and/or cheaper? Trying to prove a point with a gift.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

door Door door posted:

Tennessee whiskies that are better than jack and the same price and/or cheaper? Trying to prove a point with a gift.

George Dickel No. 12 is your best friend.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's only two big producers and two small ones so your options are limited.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

It's so good for the price.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

At my local Costco yesterday I found a shelf of Alexander Murray-bottled 13yo Ardmore for (IIRC) $55.99. This is a stellar deal for a bottle that normally goes for $90-$100 and I would have jumped on it if I were a fan of heavily peated malts. It's very likely that your local Costco has it too, so check it out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Never developed a taste for it. It has a combination of flavors that add up to blech on my taste buds. I'd rather drink Listerine.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

spankmeister posted:

There's only two big producers and two small ones so your options are limited.

Knew Dickel was the other big game in town, didn't realize they were pretty much the only alternative. No. 12 it is. Thanks guys.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I can't believe I'm at an airport bar and drinking decent whiskey. The Stone bar in San Diego Int'l has, among other things, Macallan 12, Laphroaig 10, Highland Park 15, and Rittenhouse and Old Potrero ryes. The Old Potrero is a drat fine whiskey but not what you expect a rye to taste like. Def. recommend a couple drops of water in this.

But the idea of an airport bar with Scotch other than Glenfiddich and Chivas is blowing my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

door Door door posted:

Knew Dickel was the other big game in town, didn't realize they were pretty much the only alternative. No. 12 it is. Thanks guys.

I actually thought Dickel was the only one next to Jack, but looked it up just to make sure.

Turns out there´s two more, Benjamin Prichard's and Collier & McKeel. Never heard of either before.