Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Solomonic posted:

you can in fact do this

1) Talk to Barry (hope this is not Chris's blood, etc)
2) Go back out to Wesker, he'll send you back
3) Try to go back to Wesker again, Barry will stop you
4) Go over towards Barry

It was even in both versions of the game

e: I like how Barry immediately concludes a walking man is insane and then just unloads on the zombie while Jill is right there in his line of fire. STARS really was the best swat team ever.

I think in the original if you did this, the zombie eats half of Kenneth's body and you can't pick up the handgun ammo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Policenaut posted:

Does anyone know how you trigger being able to leave Kendo's Gun Shop in RE2 before the zombies break in? Every once in awhile I'm able to leave and I hear the events happening inside, and I can turn around and go back inside for the gun but I have no clue how that works.

If you wait the zombies come, if you get the ammo the zombies come, if you just leave quickly enough you hear the zombies break in after you leave.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

How hard overall is the re4 professional mode? Tried it once half-assedly and died instantly when entering the village, got swarmed really quickly. Does it get harder/easier over time and are there some good tips for the pro mode?

Enemies are a lot more accurate and aggressive on Pro mode, have more health, and you take loads more damage from attacks. It's pretty difficult the whole way through, but if you use some slightly unorthodox weapon choices, you can get through a lot easier. The Red9 is a must, but you'll actually want to use the Riot Gun over the Striker due to its excellent accuracy and range, allowing you to flinch/decapitate enemies from longer distances. Against shield ganado, use a rifle to headshot them through their shield, because you do NOT want to gently caress with these guys on Pro. Otherwise, as long as you just play efficiently and carefully, you shouldn't have a problem.

Something to keep in mind about the health system is that you have a 'last hit' buffer; if you would die from a hit that would only just kill you, the game will let you off easy and leave you with 1 HP but a visibly empty bar. This allows you to be a lot more frugal with healing items since you can often sponge one more hit than you think you could. However, certain attacks ignore this (namely slicing or piercing attacks like from the Verdugo or Garrador) and kill you anyway, so be careful.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Speaking of Professional, is the Wesker + Jill fight in 5 even possible on Professional with the AI? They are so, so bad at pinning Jill and then run face-first into her instagib attacks on top of it.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

Enemies are a lot more accurate and aggressive on Pro mode, have more health, and you take loads more damage from attacks. It's pretty difficult the whole way through, but if you use some slightly unorthodox weapon choices, you can get through a lot easier. The Red9 is a must, but you'll actually want to use the Riot Gun over the Striker due to its excellent accuracy and range, allowing you to flinch/decapitate enemies from longer distances. Against shield ganado, use a rifle to headshot them through their shield, because you do NOT want to gently caress with these guys on Pro. Otherwise, as long as you just play efficiently and carefully, you shouldn't have a problem.

Something to keep in mind about the health system is that you have a 'last hit' buffer; if you would die from a hit that would only just kill you, the game will let you off easy and leave you with 1 HP but a visibly empty bar. This allows you to be a lot more frugal with healing items since you can often sponge one more hit than you think you could. However, certain attacks ignore this (namely slicing or piercing attacks like from the Verdugo or Garrador) and kill you anyway, so be careful.

Okay, thank you. Are the bosses any different? I couldn't kill the one you have to freeze with the canisters even on normal, there are only 4 cans and I couldn't kill him in that. As far as weapons go, I realized that TMP was great with the wolfes and the bugs. Is the mine thrower worth anything?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

Okay, thank you. Are the bosses any different? I couldn't kill the one you have to freeze with the canisters even on normal, there are only 4 cans and I couldn't kill him in that. As far as weapons go, I realized that TMP was great with the wolfes and the bugs. Is the mine thrower worth anything?

The bosses generally have a lot more health. Verdugo is almost impossible to kill on Pro, even if you dump loads of magnum ammo into him every freeze, but there's a secret: he actually does take damage (about 1/3) while unfrozen, despite the bullet ricochet effect. If you hit him with 5 magnum bullets from a Broken Butterfly upgraded to its best possible stats for that fight, you can probably finish him off with a few shotgun rounds while he's unfrozen.

The TMP is fantastic for stunlocking certain enemies, ammo is plentiful, and it doesn't take up much inventory space. I heartily recommend it, especially against Saddler who is a drat hard fight on Pro. The Mine Thrower is actually pretty good, because it's about as powerful as a frag grenade, and pierces armored enemies like Garradors. The only problem is making the inventory space for it: between your Red9, Riot Gun, Semi-Auto Sniper, and TMP, you probably won't be able to fit much else in.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Verdugo protip: just save the rocket launcher you pick up from the case a little earlier on for him. I think it'll only instakill him if you freeze him and then hit him with it, though.

edit: actually it might not even instakill him when frozen on pro difficulty, I can't remember

edit 2: also don't forget that the ostensible goal of the fight is actually to escape him, not to kill him

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Verdugo protip: just save the rocket launcher you pick up from the case a little earlier on for him. I think it'll only instakill him if you freeze him and then hit him with it, though.

edit: actually it might not even instakill him when frozen on pro difficulty, I can't remember

That does work, but I prefer to use the free launcher on the twin Garrador room immediately prior. If you shoot it at the door at the end of the hall, it'll totally destroy the unarmored Garrador and leave the armored one with critical HP (it'll kill him flat-out on Normal, though).

Besides, running away or using rockets on bosses is for cowards :colbert:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I prefer to think of that free rocket launcher as your get out of jail free card for the boss you find most annoying (U3 in my case)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

edit 2: also don't forget that the ostensible goal of the fight is actually to escape him, not to kill him

This makes me want to kill him more.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I prefer to think of that free rocket launcher as your get out of jail free card for the boss you find most annoying (U3 in my case)

Fair enough, U3 is a TREMENDOUS fucker on Pro. It's almost impossible to hit the parasite during phase 2, he can take like, 20 full powered magnum shots, and does almost all your health in one hit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Im convinced that if RE fans had their way, we would still be using tank controls with fixed camera angles. So many are so resistant to change.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is there a lore based explanation for why there isn't tons of cops/sheriffs swarming the mansion the second one of their SWAT teams get trapped in it. Is the other STARS team that Rebecca was on the only backup in raccoon city?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Is there a lore based explanation for why there isn't tons of cops/sheriffs swarming the mansion the second one of their SWAT teams get trapped in it. Is the other STARS team that Rebecca was on the only backup in raccoon city?

Chief Irons was a corrupt shithead and Wesker wanted the Stars to go in alone.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

The Chief of the RPD was in on the whole thing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

"Chief of Police..... A CO-CONSPIRATOR!! GET THAT SCUM. MAKE HIM PAY!"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

There's also the chance they did try to help, but just ended up at one of the several identical mansion out in those loving woods.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The best thing the REmake did was add in files that told us the designer of the mansion died a horrible death. By being trapped inside the mansion.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

My favourite thing about that is that you find his final journal by his gravestone where you read about how he's trapped forever and can never escape the room... and then press the switch on his gravestone that reveals the ladder down to the kitchen under it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

Im convinced that if RE fans had their way, we would still be using tank controls with fixed camera angles. So many are so resistant to change.

How can you blame us after how amazing REmake was?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

blackguy32 posted:

yes fans of a series whose games included those things as core tenants of their design would generally advocate for their continued usage because that is the style they have shown to like. In other news, water is wet.

I still don't think there's anything inherently wrong with tank controls although fixed camera angles generally causes more issues than its worth.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I could care less about fixed camera angles and tank controls. I just want a slow burn tense atmosphere, scarce resources, puzzles, and enemies that are enough of a threat that I want to avoid rather than confront. Basically the spirit of the early RE games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How can you blame us after how amazing REmake was?

Remake was ok. RE4 was better though.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

yes fans of a series whose games included those things as core tenants of their design would generally advocate for their continued usage because that is the style they have shown to like. In other news, water is wet.

I still don't think there's anything inherently wrong with tank controls although fixed camera angles generally causes more issues than its worth.

Or maybe fans of a series can realize things have evolved. In fact, pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles haven't been a thing since RE3. But sure, lets go back to tank controls and fixed camera angles because that is the way it always has been and will always have to be.

As for nothing inherently being wrong with tank controls, the human body does not work that way.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
That's a pretty fine tightrope though. Make the enemies too strong or the player too weak and you risk pissing the player off instead of frightening him. To this day I still think Mr X is a way more effective villain than Nemesis just because Nemesis constantly wrecks your poo poo and he's just frustrating to me instead of scary. I felt the same way about Evil Within.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Is there a lore based explanation for why a lovely little podunk midwestern town like Raccoon City has its own elite special forces team? Or was it an eerily prescient commentary on the militarization of the police force in the US?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there a lore based explanation for why a lovely little podunk midwestern town like Raccoon City has its own elite special forces team? Or was it an eerily prescient commentary on the militarization of the police force in the US?

I certainly like to think the latter. How big is Raccoon city anyways? I got the impression it was decent sized. I mean seems like it has a big downtown area. Plus, the police station is huge... oh wait that was also designed by the crazy dude who is a stooge for umbrella.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Not sure if its in game because my memory is fuzzy but wasn't Umbrella basically pouring money into Raccoon City so it had lots of wasteful public works poo poo?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I certainly like to think the latter. How big is Raccoon city anyways? I got the impression it was decent sized. I mean seems like it has a big downtown area. Plus, the police station is huge... oh wait that was also designed by the crazy dude who is a stooge for umbrella.

According to the Resident Evil wiki it's 100,000+ people which I think is fairly large? I dunno. My town has under 300 so my idea of a large city is a little skewed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

According to the Resident Evil wiki it's 100,000+ people which I think is fairly large? I dunno. My town has under 300 so my idea of a large city is a little skewed.

Raccoon City would be big enough to be a recognized DMA/US Census Metropolitan Statistical Area but small enough that the average American would be at best vaguely aware of it and frequently misplace what state it was in.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I still want to know who's blood that was in front of the fire place.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Rikimaru posted:

(Note: Chris asks this question)

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think Raccoon city increased in size in between each of the original three games, despite all taking place right around the same time. To the point where they felt the need to use a nuclear weapon. In the movies Raccoon City appears to be about the size of Toronto (joke)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rikimaru posted:

Perhaps if I stare at the blood for an indeterminate amount of time, I can gain some sort of insight.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Most cities that the average person would know by name are in the 500,000 to 1,000,000+ people range.

The popular theory is that Raccoon City is loosely based on Springfield, Missouri, which is in the right area, has roughly the same population and geographical features, and even has a badass mansion out in the woods on the outskirts of the city that some people think was a direct inspiration.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If I was in charge of the tourism board or chamber of commerce for Springfield I would build a 1:1 scale replica of the Spencer mansion, and charge admission to walk around in it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Speaking of Professional, is the Wesker + Jill fight in 5 even possible on Professional with the AI? They are so, so bad at pinning Jill and then run face-first into her instagib attacks on top of it.

it is, I have done it. I almost broke my tv in frustration but I did it.

Don't ask me how I did it but it involved forcing Sheva to follow and then leave several times in a row at the beginning, disabling Jill first and then making sure that Wesker only ever followed me. I may have also taken longer than 7 minutes but that's because I couldn't trust Sheva to not get killed by Jill.

This also took at LEAST 90 minutes and I think I had to restart around 100 times, I also did not learn my lesson of just going online for some random person to play because I finished the entire campaign on Professional, with AI. Christ surprisingly enough the later Wesker fights are a cakewalk compared to the Wesker and Jill fight

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Man, Resident Evil is tense as all get-out when you're down to a single ink ribbon that you're concerned about using because it's your last dang ink ribbon, and you're just bringing every drat gun you've got because like hell are you gonna replay the last hour+ of running around solving insane puzzles. It inspires fear in a completely different sense from the atmospheric fear the environment instills or the phobia fear that grips me whenever I encounter the giant spiders. It's a fear totally through game design, and I love it.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Geight posted:

Man, Resident Evil is tense as all get-out when you're down to a single ink ribbon that you're concerned about using because it's your last dang ink ribbon, and you're just bringing every drat gun you've got because like hell are you gonna replay the last hour+ of running around solving insane puzzles. It inspires fear in a completely different sense from the atmospheric fear the environment instills or the phobia fear that grips me whenever I encounter the giant spiders. It's a fear totally through game design, and I love it.
I do too. Evil Within has tons of :cry: Oh God LET ME GET THROUGH THIS PLEASE :cry: moments. People criticize it for not being survival horror, and while I don't find the level design or enemies particularly scary personally, but it was going for exactly what you're talking about. The Soul games really instill it too.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I finished Leon's first chapter of RE6 and really don't like how bulletspongy the enemies are. Shooting enemies in the leg like in 4 and 5 doesn't seem to work and the only reliable way to cause staggers so far seems to be using quickshots, and often Helena just performs her normal melee attack anyway because you have to get REALLY close to get the finishers to work. The window for counters is so tiny I've only managed to pull it off accidentally.

The combat just feels sluggish to be honest. Any tips for making the fame more enjoyable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Play Mercenaries. :v: Leon's campaign suffers from heavy scripting, so you're never quite sure when enemies become killable during Chapter 1.