Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hokuto posted:

Really, at the end of the day, blatant favoritism is rewarded more highly than anything else in all late-gen SRW games.

It is the SRW Anime plot taken to the extreme. You don't need numbers, you just need a single elite squad. In the case of the games you just need a single OP unit that's better than everything else.

You get there by maxing the hell out of the weapons, maybe some stats, and stacking the best items you can.

Edit: The games got actually infinitely easier once you start upgrade weapons/attacks to maximum. In the case of OG1/2 you just have to know which ones are needed for combination attacks. I really should play one of the games with ex-hard mode just to see how hard they can actually get. With proper upgrades the games are far too easy and tend to me more of an exercise of how many bosses can I kill in a single turn.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

WrightOfWay posted:

Katz is better than Emma mechanically.

Even if you're right, I refuse to acknowledge this madness.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All you need to know about upgrades is that the later pips give more than the earlier pips, so it pays off to specialize rather than spread out.

Unless you want to use everyone equally then spread them out, game is pretty easy but you may have a long slog of a final stage or two if you don't know how to break the game. Really not using Basara is probably your main problem. AoE Hot Blood transfer speeds everything up.

Also for whatever reason, I had an absurd amount of money in Z3.1 so I was able to max upgrade a lot of things when I last played that one with upgrades.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Just gor the Li-Brasta in Z2.2 and it has really bad shoes even for an OG mech. At least it can hadouken!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How the hell is SRW A not on psn? drat, I would really rather not try and get a psp to work.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So wait, I should have been upgrading my weapons all this time? Not my stats, armor and HP, but I should have dumped it all on weapons and then the game gets easier?
poo poo, everyone's sitting on Weapon Level 5 and I'm only just starting 54.
Also I never really use Basara because I don't understand how to use the guy, but from what I've read then that morale boost is really interesting.
And I've only really bought the parts from the bottom screen of the D-Trader. I only just now bought one of the system things. (The Z chip one)

Oh yeah by the way what else besides a x% of money gets carried over in NG+?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Most SRW games, I think you can basically upgrade willy nilly and still beat the game.

But on a theorycrafting optimal level, I think what works for me is...

1) Upgrade the main defensive stat (Armor/Mobility) of the handful of characters you consider to be your "mainliners" until you feel comfortable that they'll survive even if jumped by tons of mobs.

2) Upgrade weapons. I like at least one grunt-basher and one good boss-killer, although nowadays good units tend to be able to do anything. Upgrading the weapon of a dedicated Support Attacker is also nice.

I usually only max out the dedicated boss killers though, grunt-bashers tend to get away with less, perhaps 5-8 bars or so.

3) Never FUB except in very specific circumstances because it's really unlikely to be worth the amount of money you put into it, especially with a lot of stats going wasted (like Mobility on Supers)

Seems like Z3 has followed L and added "half-upgrade" bonuses nowadays though, which is nice and usually much more worth acquiring, though still on a case by case basis.

4) HP is also usually kind of a pointless upgrade stat for the most part unless they push you over the threshold of being 1 shot by a boss OR the unit has Vigor/Guts/Regen, which means you get more benefit out of using them.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Higher HP means pilots with Prevail trigger it faster.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think pretty much every unit that you plan on having lead a squad long term is worth getting the custom bonus on. Probably the worst custom bonus in the game is Shin Getter but even then Black Getter has a worthwhile one and carries over upgrades. Only needing 5 bars of upgrades means it's pretty cheap.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Probably the worst custom bonus in the game is Shin Getter

I am sorry did you just say that letting Shin Getter 1 move 15 spaces in a single turn is the worst bonus?

But seriously it opens up a ton of options for the way you can use the Getter team, it's hardly the worst upgrade.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I am sorry did you just say that letting Shin Getter 1 move 15 spaces in a single turn is the worst bonus?

But seriously it opens up a ton of options for the way you can use the Getter team, it's hardly the worst upgrade.

Where are you getting 15 spaces? Do you mean if you stack movement items and Accel? Because the difference between Getter 1 and Getter 2 is only 1 movement. That's my problem with it, it's basically just 1 movement if you don't need to fly. Every other similar bonus at least gets something else out of it like Delta Plus functionally gaining flight or Genion getting EN Regen. If Getter 2 and 3 weren't terrible it might be a different story but Getter 1 outclasses them even more than usual thanks to Ryouma's Ace Bonus and a post move ALL attack.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

WrightOfWay posted:

Where are you getting 15 spaces? Do you mean if you stack movement items and Accel? Because the difference between Getter 1 and Getter 2 is only 1 movement. That's my problem with it, it's basically just 1 movement if you don't need to fly. Every other similar bonus at least gets something else out of it like Delta Plus functionally gaining flight or Genion getting EN Regen. If Getter 2 and 3 weren't terrible it might be a different story but Getter 1 outclasses them even more than usual thanks to Ryouma's Ace Bonus and a post move ALL attack.

I haven't played Z3 so I'm not entirely sure, but assuming the fub bonus and skills are the same between Z2 and Z3 (and it sounds like they are), you can put the Dash skill on Hayato for another +2 movement.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I was going by the Z2 ace bonuses which were pretty broken. Z3 kind of evens it out by making the system broken while somewhat nerfing the characters.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

GodofDiscord posted:

So wait, I should have been upgrading my weapons all this time? Not my stats, armor and HP, but I should have dumped it all on weapons and then the game gets easier?
poo poo, everyone's sitting on Weapon Level 5 and I'm only just starting 54.
Also I never really use Basara because I don't understand how to use the guy, but from what I've read then that morale boost is really interesting.
And I've only really bought the parts from the bottom screen of the D-Trader. I only just now bought one of the system things. (The Z chip one)

Oh yeah by the way what else besides a x% of money gets carried over in NG+?

Look at it this way: You can get by without upgrading stats or weapons until you run into the few really dangerous enemies that the games have and, when you do, then if you are missing upgrades you have to be careful with defensive SP usage and you will be fine, if you are missing weapons instead you are also fine but the process is two or three times as long. If you want to make the game easier, upgrade weapons.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, I wish I upgraded weapons more. I just did the final mission of Defy Destiny with the Big O fight and missed the SR point after several tries because the two Big O's remaining (at triple digit HP) refused to attack any of the party members surrounding them and tried to rush at my Big O on the other end of the map. If my guys had better weapons, they probably would have been able to take them out faster.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I wish I upgraded weapons more. I just did the final mission of Defy Destiny with the Big O fight and missed the SR point after several tries because the two Big O's remaining (at triple digit HP) refused to attack any of the party members surrounding them and tried to rush at my Big O on the other end of the map. If my guys had better weapons, they probably would have been able to take them out faster.

There's pretty much enough money to upgrade all your team to 5 bars by that point if you bought System DME.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ShiunTouya posted:

There's pretty much enough money to upgrade all your team to 5 bars by that point if you bought System DME.

On the subject of parts like these, is it the total damage EVERYONE does to all enemies or just the total damage done by the unit equipped with it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Systems you buy are persistent bonuses applied to your army, rather than parts you equip, so yeah it counts for all damage. I cleared one stage with it and got like 57k using it.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Policenaut posted:

The Systems you buy are persistent bonuses applied to your army, rather than parts you equip, so yeah it counts for all damage. I cleared one stage with it and got like 57k using it.

drat...I focused on buying Ryouma the D-Extractor and a Chimera Card for Simon but I guess I should've saved some to get these ASAP!

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!

Brunom1 posted:

On the subject of parts like these, is it the total damage EVERYONE does to all enemies or just the total damage done by the unit equipped with it?

All the systems are for your whole team so they are incredibly broken and should be what you focus on in your first run. DME particularly gives you so much money that I don't know what to do with it and I'm just in my first run, still.

If they aren't nerfed in Tengoku, it's exactly what I'll do again.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

drat...I focused on buying Ryouma the D-Extractor and a Chimera Card for Simon but I guess I should've saved some to get these ASAP!

Yeah I didn't even unlock the thing towards the end of the game myself, but I bought it and that extra cash was incredibly useful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

WrightOfWay posted:

Getter-2 all day every day. :colbert:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah I didn't even unlock the thing towards the end of the game myself, but I bought it and that extra cash was incredibly useful.

Probably still would've purchased Ryouma's D-Extractor first if only because it lets him tear through everything so easily when you pair it along with his Ace and Black Getter's CB (10k+ ALL Getter Beams were the norm before even mission 20).

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ShiunTouya posted:

If they aren't nerfed in Tengoku, it's exactly what I'll do again.
Wonder if they are going to follow Z2-2, which basically just went "yeah, whatever, balance schmalance" and made everything even sillier with more skill slots and even more skills available that used to be limited.

It's saying something that Z2-2 had SP Regen IIRC and it is considered a "meh" skill!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Time Prison went out of its way to transfer the standouts of Z2 (Chain Actions and SP Regen/Gain) into the Tag Command system, so they'll probably keep doing that.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Isn't the whole point of the Systems to give you ways to break them game over your knee and make your favourites even better? Given how easy it is to just not use them, I can't imagine them getting nerfed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Modern super robot games always felt like they "Balance" things around no upgrades, at least the times I play the Z series the units are more pronounced in their strengths other than "robot #304503 that kills everything by itself."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much.

SRW is very clearly at this point balanced around the idea you won't upgrade units or will do minimal upgrades. If you want a challenge that is the way to play and several units shine a lot more in low-upgrade games. If you upgrade the units become godkillers.

It"s not a terrible idea for balance since it puts it completely in the player's hand but ti depends on how much you want to hold back intentionally.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I wish SRW had actual difficulty selection and you could outright tell the game to disable most upgrades and purchasable skills from the get go. Skill points are okay as side objectives but make for a terrible difficulty setting mechanic.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

I wish SRW had actual difficulty selection and you could outright tell the game to disable most upgrades and purchasable skills from the get go. Skill points are okay as side objectives but make for a terrible difficulty setting mechanic.

The closest thing to this I've seen was in J, where in New Gmae+ you could set how tough the actual enemies were.

But given that there were no skill points and you carried over ALL your upgrades on your units...the game didn't get much harder.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The same thing is in W, clear the game enough times and you could max out enemy upgrades.

I guess doing no upgrade run several times to get that would give you the ultimate challenge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
GBA OGS2 had an option where enemies were tougher, you weren't allowed to upgrade units or pilot stats, and special abilities cost like twice as much.

The only reason why that mode wasn't bullshit impossible was because PP carries over. On the other hand, it got really tedious in the 1st half of the game since so much of it is railroaded with forced deployment and no chance to buy abilities.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Honestly, I don't like that you have to challenge yourself using no-upgrade games.

I like the strategic management of having to decide how best to divide your resources (Money, PP, items) amongst your units to get the best out of them, it's one of the things that make an RPG what it is.

It would sort of be like challenging yourself beating like, a Final Fantasy game with only the game's starting sword or something - sure, it'll definitely technically be harder but it feels like you're losing something from the game by cutting out an entire mechanic.

edit: And also, the way numbers upgrade nowadays, it seems rather hard to balance it for NUG play without making bosses/enemies extremely tedious (as seen in EX-Hard modes of a lot of SRW games)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davzz posted:

It would sort of be like challenging yourself beating like, a Final Fantasy game with only the game's starting sword or something - sure, it'll definitely technically be harder but it feels like you're losing something from the game by cutting out an entire mechanic.)

Well... that is exactly how most people challenge themselves in Final Fantasy games because FF games also suffer from being super-easy if you use everything you have. No upgrade/low-level/ect runs are very common.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Well... that is exactly how most people challenge themselves in Final Fantasy games because FF games also suffer from being super-easy if you use everything you have. No upgrade/low-level/ect runs are very common.
Well, I guess they do. But I'm just saying I would prefer something like FFT 1.3 Content balance where the game isn't easy enough that you can win the game with only 1 character, 1 class or starting equipment, where it's challenging but still leaves a lot of leeway on viable strategies and party composition.

That's kind of where I think SRW (or any good strategy RPG for that matter) should aim to be at.

(First thing on balance that came to mind. If you only vaguely heard of FFT 1.3 and how masochistic it is, Content is an easier version of it that's still harder than the original)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davzz posted:

Well, I guess they do. But I'm just saying I would prefer something like FFT 1.3 Content balance where the game isn't easy enough that you can win the game with only 1 character, 1 class or starting equipment, where it's challenging but still leaves a lot of leeway on viable strategies and party composition.

That's kind of where I think SRW (or any good strategy RPG for that matter) should aim to be at.

(First thing on balance that came to mind. If you only vaguely heard of FFT 1.3 and how masochistic it is, Content is an easier version of it that's still harder than the original)

FFT 1.3 is made for fans of the game by fans of the game and was borderline unplayable for regular people who just wanted to enjoy the game. They rebalanced it somewhat (after complaining) but that isn't really the sort of thing that works for people who just want to see Kouji punch a Gundam or whatever.

That's basically the big thing. SRW has to appeal to people who want to watch their favorite dudes fight as much (or even more than) it appeals to people who want a solid SRPG. Allowing people to customize the difficulty themselves is kinda the way to do that. It'd be better if they could tailor the difficulty more but that's sort of the problem with a wacky crossover fanservice game. It appeals to people who want the crossover but may not want overly-hard gameplay.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

quote:

Allowing people to customize the difficulty themselves is kinda the way to do that
Selectable difficulty level has been mentioned already and it technically exists BUT I do wish things like EX-Hard are done in a way that doesn't involve turning off your upgrading and skill customization.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

SRW also has things like entirely optional bosses that don't have SR points or objectives attached to them.

Again I haven't tried no upgrade playthroughs but is it possible to take all of them out with no upgrades at all? Obviously still getting the SR point and the stage clear conditions.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Again I haven't tried no upgrade playthroughs but is it possible to take all of them out with no upgrades at all? Obviously still getting the SR point and the stage clear conditions.
I think most of them are usually possible on a NUR, but with very close margins (sometimes requiring a lucky crit)... or maybe that's just OGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

SRW also has things like entirely optional bosses that don't have SR points or objectives attached to them.

It really depends on the game.

In like Impact or Alpha/Alpha Gaiden, it depends on the enemy. You're not taking certain ones out without upgrading and using certain units. The later games tend to allow you to do it even without upgraded units as long as you're smart about it/not using horrifyingly underleveled units.

• Locked thread