Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

"my autism prevents me from enjoying new things because im scared of change"
- something awful froums poster about video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Every time I've replayed on old video game from the PS2 era and prior I've found that it doesn't hold up at all. Old games suck.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I gotta say I'm not as enthusiastic about video games as I was like, a decade ago. That's not to say I don't still enjoy a GOOD videogame but a lot of stuff is just super bad right now, at least in the first person shooter genre. Its just a bunch of military sims and that got boring years ago. Bring back railguns and fist mounted rocket launchers and monsters :(

Of course RAGE tried to do that but it sucked balls too

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Has anyone gone back to the roots of gaming? I have a Super Nintendo and find I get much more enjoyment out of that. Who the gently caress needs Madden 15? Techmo Super Bowl is the best football game ever except for the constant fumbles and interceptions but that just makes it more interesting. You want some quality action adventure? Pop in Super Metroid and play that poo poo for an hour. No tedious going back and forth (ok maybe a little). You want a solid platformer to play for five minutes before you have to go to work the night shift? Super Mario World. No updates just straight to the action.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Wolfenstein the new order lets you shoot a thousand nazis in every possible place, including the moon. Stop playing terrible games op

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

viva pinata mother fucker

Not even a game, just a dumb toy.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

valve should make a half life mmorpg

lvl 21 Barney looking 2 raid doughnut acceleration chamber

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

Every time I've replayed on old video game from the PS2 era and prior I've found that it doesn't hold up at all. Old games suck.

Also this

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wizgot posted:

No updates just straight to the action.

yeah gently caress that poo poo and gently caress this Installing bullshit. When I press start the game should loving start

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i find that i mostly just play the same games i always did: Heroes 3, Diablo 2 Eastern Sun, Worms 2, Master of Orion 2, Alpha Centauri, Unreal Tournament, etc. just play the good old games OP they are still good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Move this thread to Imp Zone and then probate all the GBS posters again.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
mark of the ninja was a lot of fun, op. you should play that

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Cubey posted:

i can't believe anyone played more than the first 3 of these games, hell i really had to force myself to finish brotherhood.

why didt you stop playing :confused:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Wizgot posted:

You pay 60 bucks for an unfinished piece of poo poo game that consists in walking around painfully doing quests. Furthermore, when you pop the disk into your console you have to wait two loving hours for an update to download because you live in poo poo America where we have poo poo internet service. What happened to giving a video game cart a blowjob and then sticking it in the loving Nintendo. So easy and just simple fun. gently caress you Destiny.

Well see the first mistake is Destiny.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

serious norman posted:

why didt you stop playing :confused:

because i hate myself

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Volume posted:

yeah gently caress that poo poo and gently caress this Installing bullshit. When I press start the game should loving start

The Xbox 360 used to be reliable for this and then like 2 years ago almost every new game for it started requiring an install, not only delaying game time but also requiring you to buy an overpriced-as-gently caress hard drive from Microsoft if you bought one of the lower-end 360 bundles.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
^^^^^^^
Its even worse if you bought the game online, so your game would be 6 GB, then need an other 6 GB install after that, so games end up taking up 12 GB if you don't have the disk. I still haven't finished Max Payne 3 because of that. :argh:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Shnag posted:

^^^^^^^
Its even worse if you bought the game online, so your game would be 6 GB, then need an other 6 GB install after that, so games end up taking up 12 GB if you don't have the disk. I still haven't finished Max Payne 3 because of that. :argh:

I haven't finished Max Payne 3 because it's a terrible game that consists of a 3 minute video followed by a 30 second sequence of you shooting guys in a hallway. Repeat for 20+ hours. Also for whatever reason the weapons you had at the end of the last sequence or during the cut scene don't carry over so it's like playing the first 30 seconds of the game over and over.

To answer your question OP; Piracy is the reason games suck now hth.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Metal Gear Solid: REVENGEANCE was solid goofy fun

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
What's the deal with early access??? You're paying full price for a game that doesn't have any content and won't come out for 5+ years that's if they ever come out!!! ARGH!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There hasn't been a good game since Klonoa 2.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Too many people have microphones now so everyone screams at each other when I'm trying to play Counterstrike: Global Offensive in peace

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006

Arian_Samurai posted:

Too many people have microphones now so everyone screams at each other when I'm trying to play Counterstrike: Global Offensive in peace

voice_enable 0?????????

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why modern gaming sucks?

As games became more mainstream, they switched from being about challenging skill-based games to more easily consumed "everyone's a winner" cinematic games. Its not that old style games aren't being made anymore, its just that they have been eclipsed by the sheer amount of new money coming in and the desire to cater to that market (read: chase them dollars). Hell, we're undergoing another new wave right now with mobile. Its filled with people who will shell out tons of cash for even shittier forms of gaming than before (if you can even call them that at that point).

But yeah. There are still devs that do still make actual games, you just gotta look for them. Some recent examples:

Nintendo is still largely as Nintendo as you remember. buy the game, put it in the slot, then play. Though with the Wiiu they added that patching thing but its not obnoxious like the other consoles. if you stay offline it wont bother you about patching if you don't wanna wait the 10-15 minutes it takes. if you buy digital it does it all in one shot.On top of that Nintendo games are still pretty damned high quality (even if they are bland/tired) and they've been making efforts the past few years to branch out with quality first, second, and third party games (Splatoon, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101,etc).

You got devs like Platinum Games and From Software carrying the torch and making the quality gameplay based games you remember.

Indies are a mixed bag (mostly filled with crap) but there are some legit good games coming out from those devs of all different game types. If you're nostalgic for it, someone's made a lovely clone of it.

Jrpgs seem to be coming back in style this year. Even square-enix seems to be getting their heads out of their asses. You know they are serious when they let the SaGa guy out of his cage.

Crpgs are coming back in a big way too~.

and the list goes on!

In short, to enjoy gaming these days, you gotta put more work and shovel through tons of poo poo. Worst case you could just go back and play old games. You got GoG, Emulators, and old hardware as choices. There's tons of classics you've missed and can enjoy.

So buck up and get to having fun, OP.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006

El Diabolico posted:

Why modern gaming sucks?

As games became more mainstream, they switched from being about challenging skill-based games to more easily consumed "everyone's a winner" cinematic games. Its not that old style games aren't being made anymore, its just that they have been eclipsed by the sheer amount of new money coming in and the desire to cater to that market (read: chase them dollars). Hell, we're undergoing another new wave right now with mobile. Its filled with people who will shell out tons of cash for even shittier forms of gaming than before (if you can even call them that at that point).

But yeah. There are still devs that do still make actual games, you just gotta look for them. Some recent examples:

Nintendo is still largely as Nintendo as you remember. buy the game, put it in the slot, then play. Though with the Wiiu they added that patching thing but its not obnoxious like the other consoles. if you stay offline it wont bother you about patching if you don't wanna wait the 10-15 minutes it takes. if you buy digital it does it all in one shot.On top of that Nintendo games are still pretty damned high quality (even if they are bland/tired) and they've been making efforts the past few years to branch out with quality first, second, and third party games (Splatoon, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101,etc).

You got devs like Platinum Games and From Software carrying the torch and making the quality gameplay based games you remember.

Indies are a mixed bag (mostly filled with crap) but there are some legit good games coming out from those devs of all different game types. If you're nostalgic for it, someone's made a lovely clone of it.

Jrpgs seem to be coming back in style this year. Even square-enix seems to be getting their heads out of their asses. You know they are serious when they let the SaGa guy out of his cage.

Crpgs are coming back in a big way too~.

and the list goes on!

In short, to enjoy gaming these days, you gotta put more work and shovel through tons of poo poo. Worst case you could just go back and play old games. You got GoG, Emulators, and old hardware as choices. There's tons of classics you've missed and can enjoy.

So buck up and get to having fun, OP.

you sound like a huge gaylord who actually plays retarded anime games shut up

Zzulu posted:

i still gotta play dragon age 3, i hear that was good

It's god awful who said it was good lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i still gotta play dragon age 3, i hear that was good

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Your Rain posted:

It's god awful who said it was good lol

:whoptc:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Your Rain posted:

voice_enable 0?????????

Thank you!! Video games are now good again

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I like Madden. :shobon:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fagmaster posted:

actually its the old games that suck

actually it is you which sucks

You can only go high end graphical sandbox so many times before people begin to miss actual compelling gameplay that games used to have.

For shits and giggles I picked up a XB360. Realized that even though I have internet access and the games, I had to pay for the privilege of playing co-op. gently caress you, console gaming companies.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
lol shut up

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I like old games like Doom, and new games like Half-life.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
games are expensive to make and it takes a long time so why sink any money into anything other than a proven franchise when you can just milk the poo poo out of it (see: the movie industry and pg-13 comic book movies)

the other option is to make some lovely "indie" game with terrible graphics that works on ipads and tablets because this new generation of people just want social games anyhow as PCs gradually become completely obsolete

hope you enjoyed ur pc games because there's never going to be another game like Deus Ex ever again (DX:HR was a terrible game)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
ZORK

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HMS Interwebs posted:

actually destiny is p sweet

jetpacking around shooting robots with my spacemans rocket launcher owns

it's garbage, pal

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Minecraft is the greatest video tape ever made

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
in the future games will just be a simulation of real life except you can tweak everything to your liking so you can surf a wave of lava to punch a dragon in the face in post-industrial middle earth

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sancho posted:

Minecraft is the greatest video tape ever made

I can dig it.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Your Rain posted:

If Revengeance and Bayonetta are retarded anime games, then I would like the be crowned as the gay queen of Spain. My first decree: Commission 3 ships, the Niña, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria, and send them to explore the new world of Uranus.

On that note, I've yet to play a Platinum Game I haven't enjoyed. Though, I really want to see them branch out from making character action games. Vanquish was great and Infinite Space was pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie
I've decided that the only game I'll ever need in life is Team Fortress 2. Currently playing it on the 360, saving up for cheap pc that'll run it though.

• Locked thread