Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I never abandoned you. Remember this is compassionate Denam not practical Denam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Update 52: God Save The Queen

Last time we successfully made it pass the gates of Barnicia Castle in our attempt to rescue Catiua. The Dark Knight put up a fight, but in the end most of them ran away. Including Barbas who led the attack on Rhime.

:eng101: past

But if we did attack her.

Might be nitpicky but I think that'd be more like: 'And if we were to beat her...'

And speaking of nitpicky:

Time for more chatting.

You brought war with you when you came to these islands! Valeria needs you not at all, and my sister needs you even less.

Oh? It was none other than the Bakram regent who summoned us here. Your very uncle, Brantyn Morne! We are not invaders, but mediators. It is you who insists upon war! If you truly wish order for the islands, then you will follow Lodis!

rearranged posted:

Time for more chatting.

You brought war with you when you came to these islands! Valeria needs you not at all, and my sister needs you even less.

We are not invaders, but mediators. It is you who insists upon war! If you truly wish order for the islands, then you will follow Lodis!

ON the right, the flanking team is almost in position.

:eng101: On the right, the flanking team,

Not that it matters much because the enemy clerics are bring their A game.

bringing

But are charmed friend immediately wakes him up with a good wack to the head.

our

Also, at this point, Catiua is fully convinced we abandoned her so there's no point in saying we didn't to her. Denam did only what he had to do. It's not his fault he got framed for the massacre and had headhunters all over the two of them! What were they supposed to do when the war started getting intense? Pack up and run to an island and not get wrapped up in it?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 4, 2015

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I never abandoned you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

He never abandoned her.

Pragmatism went out the window a long time ago. Denam's not the man for it.

Plus, you know, he's been talking about how he's doing this to save her way too much to count as abandonment.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I never abandoned you, too.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Going with I never abandoned you.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
I don't think Catuia needs to hear Denam contradicting her right now- she's not exactly in a stable state at the moment. Option 2- I did what I had to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Denam did what he had to do in order to protect her.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Denam never abandoned her, she left him because she's the worst person in this game.

And that fight was complete loving hell in the PSX version. Only the fight to save a charmed, naked, suicidal Selye(?) was worse since once she unchamred she loving bee-lined for the boss who could murder her.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Denam never abandoned her, she was just too impatient to wait like two hours for him to come pick her up.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Denam did what he had to do .

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The results of my poor proofreading skills.

Thanks.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

waah posted:

Denam did what he had to do .

This.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
He only did what he had to do.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
We never abandoned you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

And that fight was complete loving hell in the PSX version. Only the fight to save a charmed, naked, suicidal Selye(?) was worse since once she unchamred she loving bee-lined for the boss who could murder her.

I actually found that battle to be quite easy, as I had three summon orbs, a naked wizard, a naked Mildain, and Canopus. Battle was over in three rounds.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Yeah, you kinda ran off on your own, Catiua. We never abandoned you. Though we didn't exactly chase after you, either. :ssh:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just trying to help. :shobon:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The big fight only exacerbated what happened before it - our sister separated from Lancelot when he wanted to flee. That's a neat effect.

I say we never abandoned you, sister. She left in the first place because she felt she was growing apart from us. Best not drive a knife into that wound.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've gotta say, I wasn't expecting to be seeing Lanselot in an actual fight with our party that could be won so quickly. I'm mostly blown away by how low leveled all of this is happening. I would've expected that we'd see him in a fight as someone to avoid because he was like twenty levels above us at the time and still appear in maybe like three more fights still way too strong to take on before eventually closing the gap and being fightable.

Anyway, besides rambling about Lanselot, I wanted to come ask about that gun [Fusil?] we got last mission. How long till we can make use of it?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Never Abandoned because we are a good boy

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

waah posted:

So I have a terrible idea that for the new year I want to try an all title run of Tactics Ogre. :shepicide:

With all the other games I have and need to play please convince me this is a terrible idea.

I am (was?) doing this and it is a terrible, terrible idea. I've stopped four or five times to play other games when it gets too repetitive and it's been about two years, 380 hours on my save, and I still have a bit to go. Although an update to this thread always makes me want to pick it up again.

Update 52: God Save The Queen

Alright. This is a big one. It might not seem like much but this choice is huge. Like that time we decide not to commit mass murder huge. That means it is up to all of you. What will Denam say to his sister. Will it be choice 1: " I never abandoned you," or will he take the more pragmatic approach of choice 2: "I did only what I had to do."

:siren:Voting will end Saturday at 7 pm est!:siren:

I did only what I had to do. You came all this way to rescue her, don't argue and make sure she knows you're here now and ready to listen to her.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Bregor posted:

I am (was?) doing this and it is a terrible, terrible idea. I've stopped four or five times to play other games when it gets too repetitive and it's been about two years, 380 hours on my save, and I still have a bit to go. Although an update to this thread always makes me want to pick it up again.

Lets not talk about the save file I am putting on hold to do all this with. As trite as it sounds I am annoyed that I didnt build an army that was cohesive in that save file. The sperg in me is convinced that if I do it better knowing everything I know now, I can end up with an army of super characters that make the post game even easier thus less time in general. Really though, i just was tired of grinding up the last few classes before I tackled the PoTD again. I mean a lot of my characters had attributes under 50 because I didnt completely take advatage of the levelling system.

I am gonna have a ball when I run the Riesen way repeatedly with 12 fresh terror knights to boost stats.

Basically the lesson I learned is that certain unique characters you can pass on because even if they have a slightly lower RT, a generic you have built up since the start of the game can make up for it with inflated stats

Edit: also because I have no idea why the game liked me I did the Cistina mission in one try. :smugdog:

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, besides rambling about Lanselot, I wanted to come ask about that gun [Fusil?] we got last mission. How long till we can make use of it?

To get the Fusil skill, you need a specific class that doesn't appear until some side quests/missions get unlocked. I forget if that's unlocked now or after the next bit of plot.

Also, going to vote for Never abandoned you.

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did what he had to do.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I was thinking of finishing my own run of LUCT PSP version, but reading the LP takes far less time and effort, even if I do now have to wait for updates instead of catching up. Two random thoughts:
1) "Let us cling together" sounds a bit like "Somebody to love", FFT's chapter 4 title, doesn't it?
2) Was the description of "imperfect death" in Cassida's sidequest a Vagrant Story reference? Though in that game it was "incomplete".

Regardless, I think the answer should be I never abandoned you, because that's the truth, isn't it?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 6, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I never abandoned you, because we should cling together. Doesn't she just need somebody to love her?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I never abandoned you.

Ain't nothing pragmatic 'bout our Protag.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I can't wait to see how telling her we never abandoned her works out. I wonder if she'll point out all those times Denam wasn't around when she was talking to Lanselot and other Dark Knights.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Denam only did only what he had to do to try to keep her safe and she was too selfish to see it. Maybe she'll listen to us this time! :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Don't cry for me Catiua, the truth is I never abandoned you....

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Yeah, we totally never abandoned you, Caitua. You're the one who's been using teleport crystals throughout the game whenever your HP got too low. When has Denam ever used a teleport crystal? Yeah, that's what I thought. :colbert:

Also hey, this game. I practically grew up on it, and it breaks my heart to only find this thread so late in the run. I recall going through all the trouble of getting the Fireseal on the PSX and taking a picture of Denim with it equipped... only to discover that the contest surrounding that had been discontinued for years. :negative: I bought it on the PSP as well and still have a save where I'm somewhere in Chapter 4, but I think I'll let you finish the game for me. It's been too long.

It still blows my mind how much of the game changes depending on your choices. I remember this one has a "right" answer that changes depending on things I don't remember, at least in the old version, but both outcomes are awesome, so I'm just speaking from the heart here.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

we did what we had to

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
he did only what he had to

Even having played through the game at least five times by now the way this choice works means the exact outcome we'll get is a mystery to me! One of the first ones I can be sure I'm voting based on option rather than outcome.

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
We did not abandon you Caitua.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So for anyone playing this new, or even going back to replay it I think I mostly solved the terrible missions where you have to save the suicidal AI. This doesnt help you for saving Cistina, but for your annoying battles later this works great.

A) Recruit a winged humanoid as soon as possible. Golborza plain has them and I think Tenemouth Hill might. Either way they are one first few maps you can have random encounters on.

B) If you take the time to raise him as a wizard then rune fencer you will have best results, but thats mainly for spergin. Just a regular rune fencer with divine magic is your main goal.

C) Get him Dodge/sidestep/field alchemy skills. Pop a magic leaf at the start of every battle, preferably from a different character so you can preserve the Rune Fencer's RT.

D) Get HP infusion which is a skill you learn at level 8. You can do without obviously before level 8, but once you have HP infusion its so much easier.

E) Make sure you learn the appropriate level heals and Boon of Swiftness

F) Do your best to keep his weight light, but make sure he has a weapon that causes a fair amount of damage. Spears are really good for this due to the extra range. Why no lobber? You need to be accumulating as much TP as possible in bound to your suicidal AI, and sometimes you get screwed with enemy placement.

Once you have this character all kitted out, you are ready to save suicidal characters.

The last trick you employ is gaming the game just a little (after the 5th time you see a 5 HP Hobyrim run directly away from your characters with mending seeds so that he can attack a phalanxed knight surrounded by archers and mages, you won't care), but it will buy you at least one extra turn to get healing applied.

Enter a known "save this character" battle with one of your under used classes, the closer they are to level 1 the better. Keep your green rookie in the back the entire fight. AI characters that would normally smoke the guest characters will make their way towards your main party to kill the squishy level 3 guy. It wont be a complete zerg rush, but you can expect 3 - 5 less attacks on the character you are trying to save.

But what about that winged rune fencer you made me make? Why cant i just have vartan Canopus do the hardwork.

Well, in a no incap run, or in the battle where you revive a recruitable character, but if they die again they die for good, you need staying power and mobility. As your rune fencer flies into certain doom all those arrows in his chest build his TP.

HP infusion is a 1 for 1 TP for HP swap, meaning if he has 165 TP, he can regain 165 HP. This counts as a support action, not as your battle action. So your medic heals himself and heal the character in distress (and also cause some attacks to be directed at the medic instead) all in the same turn.

Try it out. Often times you just need to get one heal off to prevent game over, or to avoid a restart. If you can get resiliance or up your spell resistance, you can make it even easier on yourself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

19 We did not abandon you vs 12We only did what we had to

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what determines the gear you find in shops? Is it the progression of the story or the highest character level?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Story if I recall correctly. slightly more complicated in the post game

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hunt11 posted:

So what determines the gear you find in shops? Is it the progression of the story or the highest character level?

Story progress, the presence of Deneb, or if the clerk is a skeleton or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Szurumbur posted:

I was thinking of finishing my own run of LUCT PSP version, but reading the LP takes far less time and effort, even if I do now have to wait for updates instead of catching up. Two random thoughts:
1) "Let us cling together" sounds a bit like "Somebody to love", FFT's chapter 4 title, doesn't it?
2) Was the description of "imperfect death" in Cassida's sidequest a Vagrant Story reference? Though in that game it was "incomplete".

Regardless, I think the answer should be I never abandoned you, because that's the truth, isn't it?

The game's original title was supposed to be 'Lancelot ~ Somebody to Love' after the Queen song.

The director, Yasumi Matsuno, put up some of the game's original design documents on Twitter and for an interview:

'Let Us Cling Together' is the English name of Queen song that was sung partially in Japanese called Teo Torriatte.

• Locked thread