Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

loving children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

CommieGIR posted:

loving children.

That's not a snatch strap... not a snatch strap

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

User error, but at least he hosed up his own truck.

I hope that was HIS truck. :ohdear:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's why you should always get the vehicle's owner to attach the tow strap.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

That's not a snatch strap... not a snatch strap

I was thinking he was going somewhat fast for a snatch strap, and the stuck truck likely didn't need anything more than some gentle tugging anyway. I was confused for a moment when the other guy disagreed with "that's how you use them". Then I realize it's not a snatch strap. What a dumb rear end. If he's done that before, I must say that his bumper performed admirably.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"That was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen."

same

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

It's interesting that you guys condemn Mazdas as being rust buckets. I see imports of all flavours from japan where I assume they salt the roads, and the worst offenders are by far Nissan. Especially the various vans/people carriers which always rot at the junction of the floor pan and rear wheel arches because Nissan use a different construction method for these areas compared to most brands. Bonus points: rust is invisible from the outside until a subframe falls out because there's a double skin thing going on, and the only way to detect it is to take out the third row seats and remove the carpet.

I've noticed that too.

Maybe different markets get radically different levels of rustproofing - I know my 2002 V35 Skyline has absolutely no underseal and was suffering pretty badly by the time it was sold.

That said my 2008 NZ new Mazda 3 has alarmingly little paint in the rain channels that run along each side of the roof - makes me wonder how that'll go long term.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Apparently not a real mechanical failure as the engine ran for 20 days before finally failing. Tek screw used to remove the piston.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Gotta love engines where things like a
seized piston results in customer complaint of a rough idle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm entering a crappy robot competition later this week. I'd say the potential for mechanical failure is quite high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzs9qcKOKjs

That's a bike chain welded onto the shaft of a motor from an electric hand dryer that's been bolted into a crude steel frame.

It's actually pretty tame running through a variac at 50% power

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

I'm entering a crappy robot competition later this week. I'd say the potential for mechanical failure is quite high.

That's a bike chain welded onto the shaft of a motor from an electric hand dryer that's been bolted into a crude steel frame.

It looks like a good name would be "The Un-Ankler".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
just call it chihuahua.

ankle biter

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

If you want more power at less RPM, you'll want to use a VFD.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Safety Dance posted:

Hope you're running that from behind lexan, as when one of those bike chain links lets go at speed it's going to make an impressive amount of distance.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

That is awesome, although I cant help but think it would be better with a chainsaw chain.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Hope you're running that from behind lexan, as when one of those bike chain links lets go at speed it's going to make an impressive amount of distance.

It's really good at launching pens directly into my junk when I toss them at the whirly area.

Raluek posted:

I wish we had a bunch of inexpensive VFDs floating around that I could borrow, but alas. The thing has cost me maybe $30 out of pocket if you include the $5 I dropped into the welding supplies donation bin.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed. Also, electrify the chain. Put a high enough voltage on it and you will probably gently caress up your competitors control systems pretty badly if they take a good hit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I feel like the chain links are 90 degress off axis of where they should be, because the first hit is going to snap the chain.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

I feel like the chain links are 90 degress off axis of where they should be, because the first hit is going to snap the chain.

Yep, the plates will pop off the rivets. You could probably even break a bicycle chain with your bare hands bending it in that direction.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Raluek posted:

Screw that. And what's with this fancy variac nonsense, anyway? Those things cost money!

A lamp dimmer is practically free at goodwill, and there's a pretty good chance it won't catch fire or rattle the chain into high-velocity pieces with crazy harmonics.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

Screw that. And what's with this fancy variac nonsense, anyway? Those things cost money!

A lamp dimmer is practically free at goodwill, and there's a pretty good chance it won't catch fire or rattle the chain into high-velocity pieces with crazy harmonics.

That was my first plan, but someone said "Hey, we have this variac you can use."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Safety Dance posted:

That was my first plan, but someone said "Hey, we have this variac you can use."

Yeah a triac (dimmer switch) is probably a better idea than a variac in actual non-testing use, but a VFD will still give you better performance. I guess they're non-trivial to DIY?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

That is awesome, although I cant help but think it would be better with a chainsaw chain.
This, oh God, this

Safety Dance posted:

It's really good at launching pens directly into my junk when I toss them at the whirly area.
Congratulations, you're now officially a member of the pen15 club.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

stinch posted:

Yep, the plates will pop off the rivets. You could probably even break a bicycle chain with your bare hands bending it in that direction.

Yeah, you want it in the direction it can flop when it hits something it can't tear apart, centripetal force will still make it a very good weapon. As it is, it's just going to shatter on contact.

Also, thirding chainsaw chain.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

nmfree posted:

Congratulations, you're now officially a member of the pen15 club.

Masterstroke

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chainsaw chain sounds amazingly redneck and the best idea.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Liquid Communism posted:

Chainsaw chain sounds amazingly redneck and the best idea.

But I doubt chainsaw chain would do any additional damage to other robots compared to a normal chain, it can bind more easily, and it makes it more dangerous (if that is still possible) for spectators.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ika posted:

But I doubt chainsaw chain would do any additional damage to other robots compared to a normal chain, it can bind more easily, and it makes it more dangerous (if that is still possible) for spectators.

That's why it's the most redneck option

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

haha so true

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Thank god they don't use salt in Colorado :)

Mag chloride is just as bad, duder :(

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Atmus posted:

Mag chloride is just as bad, duder :(

The correct answer is sand

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Brigdh posted:

Except when you are riding your bike in summer you then crash on a huge loving Saudi size sand dune. Source: commonwealth of MA

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Saga posted:

Except when you are riding your bike in summer you then crash on a huge loving Saudi size sand dune. Source: commonwealth of MA

Every loving summer when I was living in Connecticut at the end of the street my grandma lived on this would happen at least once

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Yeah, that's what i hate about Colorado's use of sand. They dump truckfuls of it everywhere, and then don't sweep it up so the dry roads are almost like ice for cars and bikes alike. The city website says they are suposed to take care of that poo poo within 4 days of a snowfall, but they leave it year round.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Brigdh posted:

As a motorcycle rider, I say gently caress sand.

Horrible operator failure:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

As a motorcycle rider, I say gently caress sand.

Ugh. The correct answer to what Colorado uses is "sand". I loving hate it too, but it seems like there is an embargo on using salt/mag chloride outside of Denver.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Some people claim that a stock Subaru intake isn't enough of a restriction to worry about replacing. Well, it takes quite a pressure differential to do this:

Got that from my friend Paul at yimisport.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

jamal posted:

Some people claim that a stock Subaru intake isn't enough of a restriction to worry about replacing. Well, it takes quite a pressure differential to do this:

Got that from my friend Paul at yimisport.

Manufacturing defect. You can't get a pressure differential greater than 14.7 psi on an intake, as that's the difference between sea level average pressure and absolute vacuum. Also the same reason you should disregard stories of runaway diesels pulling in phone books (unless the person was stupid enough to feed a corner into the compressor wheel of the turbo).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Phone books are pretty floppy, the usual way I've heard it is that it ate the thing one page at a time. I can believe that, especially if they were rather flustered and didn't get it perfectly across the opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Doesn't flywheel inertia have something to do with it?