Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Metropolis posted:

Has any show had a worse fall from grace than Homeland?

I watched the pilot for The Man in the High Castle, it was alright but aside from the concept and setting didn't have anything that really stood out. But if they make more then I'll watch it.

Haven't watched yet but this is what worries me. Such a strong concept (hell I didn't even read the PKD original) so I'm hoping for something better than Marco Polo which is also "mediocre but with enough strong spots to keep me going if it's there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think he's being hyper critical, not sure what he was expecting from something like that. It's a alt world in 1962. Everything worked except some of the CGi which to be fair wasn't really awful or that much of.

The story worked well enough for an adaptation. It changed a fair bit from the book, which i'm reading. I couldn't find a fault besides the CGI.

I think it's going to be a smash hit.

It's plenty brutal enough, has some pretty cool character on the German and Japanese sides.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Do the Japanese in the story do a lot of terrible things to the Americans like they did to all of the other countries they invaded? Other than that one instance in the pilot, they seemed very friendly to everyone.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's fair to say the nazis are wayyyyyyy worse. It's not just the US that was invaded... They set their sights pretty far

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Keeping mind I haven't watched it yet, is the entire world divided into Japanese sphere/Nazi Sphere or is that not made clear?(source material or not)

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ariza posted:

Do the Japanese in the story do a lot of terrible things to the Americans like they did to all of the other countries they invaded? Other than that one instance in the pilot, they seemed very friendly to everyone.

The important thing to remember is that the occupation has been in effect for 15 years or so and shows no signs of stopping or seriously weakening. I'd assume that the worst atrocities are a decade old by now, to the extent that they happened in the USA, and won't be back absent a major change in the status quo.

Hazily recalled book spoilers: from what I recall, no, there is nothing like what the Japanese did in the places they actually occupied.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rocksicles posted:

Why are you sullying this thread with Glee bollocks Rarity?

If I have to suffer then so should everyone else :smith:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

Keeping mind I haven't watched it yet, is the entire world divided into Japanese sphere/Nazi Sphere or is that not made clear?(source material or not)

Yes and no; Africa is in the midst of a Nazi genocide campaign (there's mentions that the Nazi headquarters in Africa are literally adorned with 20,000 human skulls), Russia has an ongoing guerrilla war, Middle America is a separate buffer nation between Japan/German occupying areas, nothing in the Carribean/Mexico is even mentioned in the book, Italy controls North Africa and the dredged Med's farmland, and Canada is the equivalent of Switzerland. Other countries like Spain, Sweden, etc, are all neutral and unconquered because of the lack of resources. The book drops some hints that the Germans aren't as strong as they seem to be, that their offworld colonization efforts are all but a fake, and that they need/want to destroy the Japanese empire in a decapitation attack to gain more resources/wealth to prop themselves up.

Japan in the book has a complete lack of the kind of the Pacific war atrocities that they actually had (or they were much better at covering it up than the Germans), and are more civilized of the two superpowers. Still, each has imported slaves from Africa (those not genocided) doing a lot of the brunt work.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

The latest episode of Glee involved:

- Sue worshipping her Klaine shrine
- Sue using a surveillance drone to spy on Will
- Sue revealing that Blaine and Karofsky (who are dating) are third cousins
- Sue hypnotising Sam to kiss Rachel and steal Will's mail
- Becky dressed in a giant lobster suit
The sad part is I don't think you made any of this up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's Glee about? Isn't it some college musical show?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kurtofan posted:

What's Glee about? Isn't it some college musical show?

Do you live in a cave in the Himalayas

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I wish I didn't know anything about Glee.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

smg77 posted:

I wish I didn't know anything about Glee.

I know absolutely nothing about Glee except for the fact that it is a show that features singing.

That is the extent of my knowledge. I feel like it's probably all I ever need to know about it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

I've seen the first 1.5ish seasons of Glee and I really couldn't tell you what the gently caress it seems to be about at this point based on the bonkers stuff people post about it now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm so glad that I treated Glee as a 1 season show. It was fine. If nothing else, Ryan Murphy is reliable for the way he starts strong and quickly dissolves to poo poo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

I've seen the first 1.5ish seasons of Glee and I really couldn't tell you what the gently caress it seems to be about at this point based on the bonkers stuff people post about it now.

Beiste is having a sex change

Real or no real?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

less laughter posted:

almost, Paris suburbs. Looking it up, it looks like it's airing on some obscure cable channel called OCS Happy in these parts.

it's funny, our main national channels air many US cable shows while a lot of stuff that airs on NBC, Fox whatever is relegated to cable.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 25, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rarity posted:

Beiste is having a sex change

Real or no real?

We playing Glee or Rarity now?

(My guess is Rarity)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I'm so glad that I treated Glee as a 1 season show. It was fine. If nothing else, Ryan Murphy is reliable for the way he starts strong and quickly dissolves to poo poo.

Nip/Tuck was so cool at the start :( I mean it was batshit insane, undeniably, but it was on the good side of that coin like Spartacus is

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Aye Doc posted:

Nip/Tuck was so cool at the start :( I mean it was batshit insane, undeniably, but it was on the good side of that coin like Spartacus is

I think that for a while Murphy does 'heightened soap opera' well. And he handled it the best with Nip/Tuck. There are elements of AHS that work well at the start too, but that show has been steadily getting worse with each year (A shame too because it's a killer idea and there's some great settings they've come up with). I don't expect anything less from American Crime Story. He desperately needs someone mandated by the network to say 'No Ryan, this has to make sense. Try it again'.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

DrVenkman posted:

He desperately needs someone mandated by the network to say 'No Ryan, this has to make sense. Try it again'.

His pilots should come with 5-year plans. DETAILED 5-year plans. But no, his shows have made a bunch of networks a bunch of money so he'll keep turning out stellar pilots/half-season wonders with zero direction and zero followthrough. Coven and Freak Show have proved that he doesn't even have a coherent 13-episode season in him anymore.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sober posted:

We playing Glee or Rarity now?

(My guess is Rarity)

Nope, Glee!

Brittany graduated high school and went to MIT

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gonz posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Glee except for the fact that it is a show that features singing.

That is the extent of my knowledge. I feel like it's probably all I ever need to know about it.

I've done my best to avoid any knowledge about Glee, so all I know about it is that it started out as a smirking parody of High School Musical but quickly became less self-aware than High School Musical. Also it deprived Party Down of Jane Lynch.

I think I've been pretty successful in that regard, and continue to live a happy and fruitful life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The cast of Glee were nominated for Grammy awards. They didn't win, but if they had, the Grammys giving out Song of the Year to what's essentially a karaoke act probably would've been a new nadir for them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They did it, guys. NBC managed to put out a show that's even more gross and bizarre than Community could have ever imagined.

:patriot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1YlTPlW_8 :patriot:

Also, holy poo poo those Youtube comments.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 26, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Looked justifiable to me but excessive.

edit: It's based off an Australian novel?

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 26, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

They did it, guys. NBC managed to put out a show that's even more gross and bizarre than Community could have ever imagined.

:patriot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1YlTPlW_8 :patriot:

Also, holy poo poo those Youtube comments.

This is going to be divisive as poo poo.

I couldn't tell, but is the point that the kid was completely out of control (looked like he was wildly swinging a bat around at the other kids and then kicked Quinto when he was trying to lecture him) and so Zachary Quinto smacked him?

I can see the argument that its never okay to hit a child but if the hellion is completely willing to hit whoever he wants whenever he wants the parents have failed as disciplinarians and someone smacking the kid isn't a shock.

The dialogue from the trailer is gold

"This is what scars people for life" lol what hippie bullshit is that no kid is going to grow up and become a drug addict to cope with the one time neighbor Bob smacked him
"I'm gonna put that maniac away"
"I'm going to destroy them"

edit: After reading about the book, the central idea seems to be at what point can an outsider step in when people are failing to raise their child and the child is a danger to others. The trailer makes it seem like some weird super serious matter of life and death.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Looked justifiable to me but excessive.

edit: It's based off an Australian novel?
Australian novel which was made into a (high-profile) mini-series here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WP8I0T9xnk

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 26, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If it is, it's pretty cool that i can't see the video, in Australia

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rocksicles posted:

If it is, it's pretty cool that i can't see the video, in Australia

Yeah I can't see the NBC video either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Australian novel which was made into a (high-profile) mini-series here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WP8I0T9xnk

Well, that's a much better trailer. If only someone could've gone back in time to stop the slap before it happened...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

pentyne posted:

This is going to be divisive as poo poo.

I couldn't tell, but is the point that the kid was completely out of control (looked like he was wildly swinging a bat around at the other kids and then kicked Quinto when he was trying to lecture him) and so Zachary Quinto smacked him?

I can see the argument that its never okay to hit a child but if the hellion is completely willing to hit whoever he wants whenever he wants the parents have failed as disciplinarians and someone smacking the kid isn't a shock.

The dialogue from the trailer is gold

"This is what scars people for life" lol what hippie bullshit is that no kid is going to grow up and become a drug addict to cope with the one time neighbor Bob smacked him
"I'm gonna put that maniac away"
"I'm going to destroy them"

edit: After reading about the book, the central idea seems to be at what point can an outsider step in when people are failing to raise their child and the child is a danger to others. The trailer makes it seem like some weird super serious matter of life and death.

In a civil society you aren't allowed to hit other people. You certainly aren't allowed to hit other people's children. It's not really something that should be divisive at all, except for reactionary morons.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Actually in the civilest societies there were very strict rules about when and how you were allowed to hit other people when you thought they needed it so unless this show ends with the conclusion that America needs to re-institute the noble art of dueling for all citizens, including children, then it's just farting around.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

In a civil society you aren't allowed to hit other people. You certainly aren't allowed to hit other people's children. It's not really something that should be divisive at all, except for reactionary morons.

Tons of people still openly and proudly admit to hitting their kids and get indignant when other people don't. The show is going to cause people to come down hard on either side mostly because the kid who got hit was a wild terror by any definition and his parents are blatant hippie touchy-feely people. It's the kind of perfect "hit a kid situation" that a few decades ago would've been of no concern.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was hit as a kid, i don't agree with it. But some kids (teenagers) need a good swift battering.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

I was hit as a kid, i don't agree with it. But some kids (teenagers) need a good swift battering.

The best option would've been to drag the kid forcibly over to his parents and start berating them for letting him be a danger to others. I'm more curious how the show turns into some life or death drama. The trailer ends with a guy hitting his breaks and from the context and music it looks like his brakes won't work.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alan Smithee posted:

It's made clear in the book. I won't say anymore.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

Ravane if your posts were actually funny and entertaining it would be fine but they're more like the dad jokes of trolling. They're just kind of embarrassing. Don't post in this thread for a month or so and instead work on some decent material.

Alright, alright. Final post then. No more trolling, no more posting for a month for me.

Quick mini OP: Nicholas Kristof's "A Path Appears" documentary series about the plight of global sex trafficking airs tomorrow (Monday, Jan 26th) at 10 pm on PBS (via Independent Lens). It's a three-part series covering Human rights violations from countries like Cambodia and Haiti to even countries like the United States. According to Kristof, about 100,000 US children[1] are sold for sex every year. I certainly think it'll be a highly informative series as well as an eye-opener to the reality of our world. I urge everyone to watch, particularly because there's nothing else airing on Mondays at that time, and because the documentary is sure to be amazing. Kristof is a highly respected author and journalist for the NY Times and he's written many articles on topics like freeing underage girls from brothels, even going so far as joining in on police raids of brothels[2]. This is one of his areas of expertise and I'm sure it'll be incredibly enlightening, though afterwards you may be weighed down by the heavy content.

Episode dates: January 26, February 2, February 9 (Mondays) at 10 PM on PBS.

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/opinion/sunday/teenagers-stand-up-to-backpage.html?_r=0
2. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/26/opinion/26kristof.html

Also, I turned 23 today. :) See you next month.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hope you get laid while off SA :) i'm rooting for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

The best option would've been to drag the kid forcibly over to his parents and start berating them for letting him be a danger to others. I'm more curious how the show turns into some life or death drama. The trailer ends with a guy hitting his breaks and from the context and music it looks like his brakes won't work.

Yeah, I can't see this being a series. Some kid was putting people in danger, a guy came up and slapped him to get him under control, and now his negligent parents are crying foul. That's enough material for a two hour tv movie, at most. I can't imagine this sustaining itself for 13 or 22 episodes because the precipitating incident is just so trivial. Why not just do a Hatfields and McCoys tv series instead, because at least those lunatics did something interest with their silly feud?

• Locked thread