Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

frajaq posted:

You're right a Priest sounds good since looking at their spells they're mostly about buffing the rest of the group. Honestly I'm mostly worried about getting indecisive when picking Wizard/Druid spells.

Yeah, Priests don't need to choose their spells as far as I remember, so that isn't a worry for them. Right now the only spells I ever decide on for wizards is neat AOE spells, druids I have a bit of a harder time with even though they look kind of awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Under the vegetable posted:

I keep getting anxious about this game's nearby release because i don't have a lot of cash right now, but then I remember I already bought the game. I never preorder games. It's a nice feeling!

I bought this and its dlc partner back during its Kickstarter, and I'm in the same boat you are as far as forgetting I actually own it. I've excitedly put it in my purchase cart on steam twice now, since it was first made available.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No can do, I'm afraid. It was deemed unfeasible to make animations for something essentially dumb and pointless.

Whoa, now. Let's not say things you can't take back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrBo5cg0BAs&t=73s

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Is the current roster of gods and orders you can choose for priests and paladins the final one?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

FRINGE posted:

You probably shouldnt even spend time on this one then.

I wouldn't say that. I find it very hard to play old RPGs too, but that seems to mostly come from design and quality-of-life improvements that we've come to expect but that older games don't have. Pillars of Eternity might be a throwback to the era of Isometric RPGs, but that doesn't mean faithfully recreating their flaws and weaknesses as well.

If you like modern RPGs but can't get into old ones PoE might be a good chance to try and bridge that gap. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

I bought this and its dlc partner back during its Kickstarter, and I'm in the same boat you are as far as forgetting I actually own it. I've excitedly put it in my purchase cart on steam twice now, since it was first made available.

Put it in MY cart then :getin:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dolash posted:

I wouldn't say that. I find it very hard to play old RPGs too, but that seems to mostly come from design and quality-of-life improvements that we've come to expect but that older games don't have. Pillars of Eternity might be a throwback to the era of Isometric RPGs, but that doesn't mean faithfully recreating their flaws and weaknesses as well.

If you like modern RPGs but can't get into old ones PoE might be a good chance to try and bridge that gap. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
If you sound like you hate 'most games that sound like this' it just seems like a bad starting place. Its setting things up for unfair complaining later.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've asked this before and haven't really gotten a clear answer. Perhaps it would be helpful if I phrased it better.

Will non combat quests feature in the game? To be clear, I don't mean peaceful solutions to combat quests(I think the answer to that is an obvious yes). Rather, I refer to quests like in Arcanum where you got to do things like take part in local municipal politics about how to contruct a monument, or negotiate peace treaties. Or in Neverwinter Nights 2, where you had the brilliantly designed trial(that still disappointingly led to a single conclusion, featuring combat...).

On a similar note, we all know by now that Pillars of Eternity is designed to be a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games. But what facets of the Infinity Engine games? Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate were straight up dungeon crawlers. They lived and died by their combat systems, and nearly every quest was ultimately a combat challenge. Planescape: Torment was obviously quite different.

Almost all the discussion in this thread has been about combat design. Which is cool-combat is fun and Icewind Dale is a stellar dungeon crawler. How much of Pillars of Eternity will be clearing out dungeons, and how much will be running around talking to interesting characters? I realize that's a very broad question and perhaps can't be reasonably answered in a pithy manner.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've asked this before and haven't really gotten a clear answer. Perhaps it would be helpful if I phrased it better.

Will non combat quests feature in the game? To be clear, I don't mean peaceful solutions to combat quests(I think the answer to that is an obvious yes). Rather, I refer to quests like in Arcanum where you got to do things like take part in local municipal politics about how to contruct a monument, or negotiate peace treaties. Or in Neverwinter Nights 2, where you had the brilliantly designed trial(that still disappointingly led to a single conclusion, featuring combat...).

On a similar note, we all know by now that Pillars of Eternity is designed to be a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games. But what facets of the Infinity Engine games? Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate were straight up dungeon crawlers. They lived and died by their combat systems, and nearly every quest was ultimately a combat challenge. Planescape: Torment was obviously quite different.

Almost all the discussion in this thread has been about combat design. Which is cool-combat is fun and Icewind Dale is a stellar dungeon crawler. How much of Pillars of Eternity will be clearing out dungeons, and how much will be running around talking to interesting characters? I realize that's a very broad question and perhaps can't be reasonably answered in a pithy manner.

There were quite a few non-combat quests in BG1, I think? IWD1/2 were obviously all about dungeon crawling, of course. I imagine that given this is an Obsidian game, there will be a lot of completely non-combat quests; the Stronghold in this game will probably feature a lot of quests and activities that will be entirely based on conversations, much like Crossroad Keep in NWN2.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

prometheusbound2 posted:

On a similar note, we all know by now that Pillars of Eternity is designed to be a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games. But what facets of the Infinity Engine games?

quote:

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.
For my part, I'd rather hear mechanics chat than most anything else because 1: a lead designer doing mechanics chat is super cool, and 2: other stuff quickly gets into spoiler territory and gently caress that noise.

If there isn't plenty of content that's totally separate from the combat side of things, I'll eat glass.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think, most importantly, we need a list of all the non-combat pets and roughly how far into the game you can get them.

The baby dragon from the stream was p. sweet even if it seemed to go missing after the party left the dungeon. I also saw a cat in the inventory, and I'm pretty sure a pig has been mentioned. And of course the miniature giant space hamster.

I just hope they go kinda nuts with it. I love that crap and it warmed my heart to see it in the game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drifter posted:

I wish I could buy it all over again, but kickstarters are going to be scooping up all my money in February and beyond. I might manage to buy another copy to send to a close friend, but that's about it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zore posted:

And of course the miniature giant space hamster.

Don't forget its companion the giant miniature space piglet that all backers get.

I'll probably just stick to a cat though. They're the only pet an adventurer needs.

SunAndSpring posted:

Is the current roster of gods and orders you can choose for priests and paladins the final one?

I don't know for sure, but it seems very unlikely that they'd add more at this point.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 26, 2015

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

evilmiera posted:

kickstarters are going to be scooping up all my money in February and beyond

Like what? Is there something big coming in February?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
edit:^^^ - :argh::respek::shepface:

evilmiera posted:

I wish I could buy it all over again, but kickstarters are going to be scooping up all my money in February and beyond. I might manage to buy another copy to send to a close friend, but that's about it.

What kickstarters?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drifter posted:

edit:^^^ - :argh::respek::shepface:

What kickstarters?

Shadowrun is ending in February, so I'll be billed then, and in March We'll probably see the end of the Simon the Sorcerer and Ultima kickstarters. That and Drift Stage and Into the Stars at lower tiers will be enough to cost me a bundle.

Edit: Well, Ultima and Simon will probably end early April, but still, close enough to the PoE release. Actually, wait, no, those might just end around March. We'll see if they get released on time.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 26, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

MartianAgitator posted:

No, you're comparing this to the wrong games. In these type of games, the PC is the only one you have full developmental control over and so his power is determined by your system mastery, with no locked in abilities that might help or hinder you as the NPCs will have. So the PC will be better than others if you know how to make him that way or get lucky and hit on a broken part of the system.

In other words, everyone is playing by the same rules and it's up to you to break them.

Edit: I guess the PC in BGII got unique super powers after a while. And it seems like PE's premise is ripe for giving this PC the same kinda things. Nothing's PC-specific has been spoiled, anyway.

We don't know yet, but it's entirely possible that during the campaign the PC could gain a specific skill or feat talent that does ~~stuff~~ only she can do.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aeonsim posted:

Chanter would be another option they're considered leader/secondary fighter class but their Chants offer some cool benefits like increased armour or damage (flaming weapons) for the entire party or they make your party a bit more resistant to certain damage types or vice versa. They do get some spells/invocations which they can use after they've sung enough chants (usually summons) but you don't have to use them and they only have ~5 by level 5 or so.

The chants are really nice once you have them you can just queue as many or few of them as you want in an order you like then when the fighting starts the chanter starts using them. They do this while fighting like every one else, they're effectively highly customisable auras that build up to allow you to do some pretty cool things if you can be bothered.
Okay, this is weird, but can someone run me through a good Chanter build and how to use them? They seem right up my alley, but whenever I try to build one things end up just crushing my team and I can't do anything, but my melee Cipher immediately becomes the star of the party.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Furism posted:

We don't know yet, but it's entirely possible that during the campaign the PC could gain a specific skill or feat talent that does ~~stuff~~ only she can do.

There is one survival aspect to this game in that your main PC will gain the ability to eat souls sandwiches and must do so with timed restrictions.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Drifter posted:

There is one survival aspect to this game in that your main PC will gain the ability to eat souls sandwiches and must do so with timed restrictions.

Aaaand we're back to my concern of the story being MotB 2.0 :)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the game is actually a Dark Souls clone now, Obsidians been stringing everyone along

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 26, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
More hints about what terrible things "Mad" Chris Avellone wrote that were so terrible that the computer that they were written on had to be cremated and flown into Iraq in this new interview:

quote:

At a specific level, in Eternity, the original premise of the companions I wrote (Durance and the Grieving Mother) was unpeeling the layers and discovering what they were at the core – unpeeling these layers involved slipping stealthily into their unconscious, a dungeon made out of their memories. There, the player could go through an adventure game-like series of interactions, exploring their memories using psychological items important to both your character and to them as emotional keys to thread your way through the memories – but carefully, without revealing your presence. The memory dungeon was to uncover their shared history, how it impacted you, and the core of who they were as people.

And their core was pretty unpleasant. Both of them were very bad, very weak people, committing not only violations on each other, but on the player as well. When faced with the discovery that your allies, even if they fiercely support you and fight for a larger cause, have some pretty horrid faults, what do you do? Do you pass sentence? Do you forgive? Do you assist them to reach an understanding? And what I found more interesting with the spiritual physics in the Eternity world is that a death sentence isn’t a sentence – killing someone actually sets a soul free to move on to the next generation. So if you intend to punish someone in a world like that, either out of revenge or to correct their behavior, how do you do it when execution is not an answer?

The elements above got stripped out of the companions in the end, so I’m happy to share it here (and I may re-examine it in the future). Overall, I thought they raised interesting questions for the player to chew on, and it was interesting to explore those themes, as most game narratives and franchises wouldn’t allow for such examinations – still, Eternity was intended to be a more personal project for Obsidian where we can stretch our narrative legs more, both in structure and themes.

^^^ The most chilling of sights. The mad terror in that animal's eyes is unmistakable.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Drifter posted:

will there be a "pooping souls" mechanic, this is important

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I think this was more about the unconscious dungeons, maybe they thought they didn't have the time or it would make them too different from others companions.

I like games with fewer party members because they can be more fleshed out like this, fewer variety but a denser experience.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm not sure I agree that execution isn't a punishment in PoE like says. I mean, sure, your soul gets released back to get reincarnated but, as I understand it, it's not like you can remember your past lives so death is still basically death.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

UrbicaMortis posted:

I'm not sure I agree that execution isn't a punishment in PoE like says. I mean, sure, your soul gets released back to get reincarnated but, as I understand it, it's not like you can remember your past lives so death is still basically death.

He's just saying that there a lot of worst things to suffer, nobody wants to die even knowing that their soul will still go on but for something like our death sentence kind of punishment they need to do something like "Oh, and after killing you we're going to bind your soul to this stone and keep it locked so you will never reincarnate"

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CottonWolf posted:

I can't really comment on balance, my barbarian ate some food then got 174 perception for the entire rest of the play session,
Yes?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That's a high-level soul sandwich he must've eaten.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

174 to perception is a bit too high, at least lower it to 163. Much more reasonable.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Rope Kid your inbox is full, but I wanted to apologize for missing you in San Antonio this weekend. I didn't get your message until today because of the awful mess that was the data access at the convention center, and then we missed your panel. Didn't mean to snub you man. Looking forward to PoE.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

Okay, this is weird, but can someone run me through a good Chanter build and how to use them? They seem right up my alley, but whenever I try to build one things end up just crushing my team and I can't do anything, but my melee Cipher immediately becomes the star of the party.

Well I'm not sure about good, but this should be reasonable build.
Race wise choose what you like, for attributes the focus will be on Res, Int and Per.

For attributes I'd aim for something similar to this:
Resolve 18+, increases duration of effects including all Phrase effects.
Intellect ~15, increases AoE for non-summon Invocations and Deflection
Perception ~14, increased accuracy and range (meh)

For Phrases:
Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr, (25% extra fire damage on all attacks from Chars)
Dull the Edge, Blunt the Point (Extra DR vs slash and Piercing weapons)
Come Softly Winds of Death (Direct damage Aura)

Rime and Frost ... (Frost damage ig ally is hit + hobble on enemy(supposedly), –20 Reflex, –3 Move Speed, –2 Dexterity)

For Invocations
But Reny Daret's Ghost, he would not rest (Spirit summon, Cold damage attacks pretty good and dealing out damage)
The Thunder Rolled ... (Small cone AoE, Knockback of enemies and Stuns them -30 Deflection, -30 Reflex, - 4 Perception, -4 Intellect, -4 Dexterity 7secs with 18Res)
Then maybe 'Not Felled by Axe' ... (+10 Slash DR 60secs) or If there bones sleep (3 Skeleton Summons) or Thrice she was wronged (Lightning AoE)
From Second level:
At the Sound of His Voice, the Killers Froze Stiff (Paralysis Aoe, –40 Deflection, –40 Reflex, –100 Dexterity)

For talents it depends on what you want the core ones are:
Ancient memory and Beloved of spirits, which combined give a constant low level healing effect to any one near by (ancient memory gives a very small heal then Beloved increases the effect by x3?)
Other talents depend on how you want to use the Char.
If damage focused a weapon talent to increase accuracy, if you want a Tank/support then maybe the Sword and Shield talent to boost deflection.

First thing to do is open up there music sheet and arrange the chants how you like, if you usually open combat with a ranged attack then you may want to set flaming weapons first to get the damage bonus (+25% Fire) or if your attacking a mix of ranged and melee humans maybe the DR to slashing and Piercing damage. Pretty much decide how you like to play and add the Phrases in an order that supports this then select that Chant at the start of combat unless you turn them off they'll automatically start for all combat after that.

As to play they have the same amount of endurance as a Priest but more more health so they can hang around the front lines with out issue but don't want to be the focus of attention of large numbers of enemies. So unless you've built them up as a tank (high Int, Heavy armour, Large Shield + Talents) send in a fighter or Paladin first to attract attention then move the Chanter up along side and start attacking enemies around the edge of the tank. If needed you can use them to tie down an enemy or possibly two if the tanks fully engaged.

As long as you keep within half a screen or so they'll be providing constant low level healing (assuming Ancient mem + beloved) and a mix of Buff to allies and debuffs to the enemies as they cycle through there Phrases. Depending on exactly what phrases you added to the chant then after 6-10 second of combat you should should be able to cast your first Invocation.
If things are going ok maybe summon the Phantom, if the tank or Chanter are getting over whelmed then maybe use 'The Thunder rolled' to knock the enemy back and stun them or use if the enemies are doing slash damage then 60 secs of +10 Slash damage resistance maybe useful.
If there is a group of nearly dead enemies then let them have some lightning with 'Thrice she was wronged'.

If you have the second level Invocation 'At the Sound of His Voice, the Killers Froze Stiff' it's very powerful requires 4 phrases but can easily paralyse a large group of enemies, who with -40 to Def and Ref are very easy to critically hit.

Plenty of options and every 6-10 seconds afterwards you'll have another spell you can cast, some of the higher level ones need more chants to prepare so you may have to wait 10-14seconds to cast them. While the phrases chanted don't expire casting a spell does wipe at all the available ones so if you'rd saved up till 5 phrases then decided to cast a 3 phrase Invocation you'll be back to 0 afterwards.

Some of the others who've spent more time using them can probably provide better suggestions, but they currently one of my favourite classes to have added into a party (though I generally play Wizards as main).

Aeonsim fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I don't know for sure, but it seems very unlikely that they'd add more at this point.

Well the amount of paladin orders is good, but they have all these gods in the lore and you only get to be a priest of 5-6 of them.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Megazver posted:

More hints about what terrible things "Mad" Chris Avellone wrote that were so terrible that the computer that they were written on had to be cremated and flown into Iraq in this new interview:

^^^ The most chilling of sights. The mad terror in that animal's eyes is unmistakable.

That sounds pretty awesome, I want this now!!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

Well the amount of paladin orders is good, but they have all these gods in the lore and you only get to be a priest of 5-6 of them.

Might be leaving room for the expansion!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Megazver posted:

Huh, I was gonna try and publish a thing about how all of Avellone's notable work (PST, KOTOR2, MotB, with AP being the exception that proves the rule) seems to revolve around hosed up people bound together unwillfully by some metaphysical force. Good to see he's still on that tip

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Basic Chunnel posted:

Huh, I was gonna try and publish a thing about how all of Avellone's notable work (PST, KOTOR2, MotB, with AP being the exception that proves the rule) seems to revolve around hosed up people bound together unwillfully by some metaphysical force. Good to see he's still on that tip

Dead Money also fits this pattern pretty well

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I assume that's what caused it. I ate some of the food items from the inn and next time I looked at my character sheet I had 174. I can't remember if it was perception or accuracy, now that I think about it. Definitely one of the two though. Entirely possible it was a UI bug rather than a item bug and I still had the right stats, but it did seem like I was critting exceptionally often.

Edit: I occasionally didn't crit though, so presumably it must have been at least in part a UI bug.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 26, 2015

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

CottonWolf posted:

I assume that's what caused it. I ate some of the food items from the inn and next time I looked at my character sheet I had 174. I can't remember if it was perception or accuracy, now that I think about it. Definitely one of the two though. Entirely possible it was a UI bug rather than a item bug and I still had the right stats, but it did seem like I was critting exceptionally often.

I've seen this as well it seems to be associated with the Vegetables and some of the recipes that can be made using the vegetables.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Eat your vegetables, any barbarian knows that. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aeonsim posted:

I've seen this as well it seems to be associated with the Vegetables and some of the recipes that can be made using the vegetables.
Rope kid, please fix this so that it only happens when eating spinach.

• Locked thread