Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Tremendous Taste posted:

you're slipping, this is actually true

Don't worry he called someone a coon so even if you share his bad opinion he threw some casual racist poo poo in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

A3th3r posted:

And I know Dre produces Kendrick so I'm not supposed to diss it, but GKMC is the perfect example of a record that is well-produced but has no soul.
That's interesting to say. Can you share soulful albums in your opinion?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EMPD329sAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KX8b4kvqzQ

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I want to kill myself. Please help me.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

temple posted:

*posts "all money is legal"*

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

temple posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZlTqAOy6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TySHr-fASs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDBInU_q5hs

and, oddly enough..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFvoIeSzChs

Here it is live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSMDFQLTNb8

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guitars

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

BP2 :lol:

why doesn't :masterstroke: exist anymore

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

pretty soulful white boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

drat. That's a soul-rear end honky.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Rap tours used to be so good.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

dethkon posted:

Rap tours used to be so good.

yeah no kidding

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Me irl

A3th3r posted:

I actually want Riff Raff to fail because he is such a coon & an embarrassment to white people.

Same, but later because I want more embarrassment.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
white future is the greatest white rapper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lcF8G8iSU

lol young thug appears in this guys video

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Come on yall i thought we were done responding to aethers extremely poo poo brand of opinion posts.

I dunno if people were referring to me but i loved gkmc just like anyone w half a brain im just afraid the followup is gonna be disappointing. Not suck, just not be anywhere near gkmc quality. People posted a bunch of fairly weak tracks as a supposed rebuttal to this but i stan by my original point. The control verse is technically fine but even in terms of stirring up controversy which is all it could do or mean not muh happened other than weak retorts by a bunch of weak off brand rapppers like papoose. Not sure how that is supposed to prove in any way that he has another gkmc in the chamber for us though cause then he went and dropped I :smug:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 26, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Unrelated double post sry But dont sleep on that new wayne tape its by fAr his best poo poo in YEARS

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

thathonkey posted:

Come on yall i thought we were done responding to aethers extremely poo poo brand of opinion posts.

I dunno if people were referring to me but i loved gkmc just like anyone w half a brain im just afraid the followup is gonna be disappointing. Not suck, just not be anywhere near gkmc quality. People posted a bunch of fairly weak tracks as a supposed rebuttal to this but i stan by my original point. The control verse is technically fine but even in terms of stirring up controversy which is all it could do or mean not muh happened other than weak retorts by a bunch of weak off brand rapppers like papoose. Not sure how that is supposed to prove in any way that he has another gkmc in the chamber for us though cause then he went and dropped I :smug:

People treat GKMC like it's loving illmatic or something and I just can't wrap my head around it. It was a great album, don't get me wrong but the nut hugging that went along with the Control verse is off the drat charts. His ceiling is what could have been from an actual Andre 3000 solo career, and thats loving dope, but his recent stuff hasn't given me that feeling that it's going to go down like that.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yuzenn posted:

People treat GKMC like it's loving illmatic or something and I just can't wrap my head around it. It was a great album, don't get me wrong but the nut hugging that went along with the Control verse is off the drat charts. His ceiling is what could have been from an actual Andre 3000 solo career, and thats loving dope, but his recent stuff hasn't given me that feeling that it's going to go down like that.

Honestly I think his ceiling's a better than solo Andre 3k. Really Andre got super-overrated due to the 1 guest verse per year he started doing. And the Control verse wouldn't have been such a big deal if dudes didn't take it as a personal insult that they were a) mentioned or b) not mentioned. Like otherwise it's no different than all the "best rapper" stuff Wayne used to say, it's just apparently with a lot of dudes that's some great offence now (as an aside, it was kinda...sad? when Wayne stopped claiming to be the best rapper. it's like he knew he fell off. hopefully he starts that up again, since his last mixtape is actually really good)

The big worry I have about Kendrick isn't anything to do with his actual ability, it's that he gets a little too wrapped up in "saving hip-hop" and being some positive force for good or w/e and stops making just random good music. He's always had that running through his music, and I could see all the acclaim for GKMC making him go over the edge. The discussion about "I" has been thoroughly done, but I never thought that was necessarily indicative of the quality of his next album.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I think he meant a higher ceiling than Andre 3k's solo ceiling which he never came close to reaching

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here's a thing Kanye just tweeted.

Name for the album? New song? Who knows????

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'M GOIN' BIG

SUCK MY DICK

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I think he meant a higher ceiling than Andre 3k's solo ceiling which he never came close to reaching

This

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'M GOIN' BIG

SUCK MY DICK

I am convinced that Kanye West and Aziz Ansari's RANDY are the same drat person.

alansmithee posted:

Honestly I think his ceiling's a better than solo Andre 3k. Really Andre got super-overrated due to the 1 guest verse per year he started doing. And the Control verse wouldn't have been such a big deal if dudes didn't take it as a personal insult that they were a) mentioned or b) not mentioned. Like otherwise it's no different than all the "best rapper" stuff Wayne used to say, it's just apparently with a lot of dudes that's some great offence now (as an aside, it was kinda...sad? when Wayne stopped claiming to be the best rapper. it's like he knew he fell off. hopefully he starts that up again, since his last mixtape is actually really good)

The big worry I have about Kendrick isn't anything to do with his actual ability, it's that he gets a little too wrapped up in "saving hip-hop" and being some positive force for good or w/e and stops making just random good music. He's always had that running through his music, and I could see all the acclaim for GKMC making him go over the edge. The discussion about "I" has been thoroughly done, but I never thought that was necessarily indicative of the quality of his next album.

I feel like his saving hip-hop schtick is part of what makes him great because he actually cares about the impact that his music has in more than the "right this second" realm. It's a dangerous area to be in when you jump the shark and try to do poo poo that people aren't necessarily going to want to hear from you the artist. "I" is a track that SCREAMS that it is perfect for Macklemore, not really the nigga from Compton. I'm not saying that he can't be creative or stretch his legs a little, but too much too soon will completely cut his career short and then his message and music will get drowned out in the sea of other people trying to make it right now. Kanye West is a perfect example of completely switching his style up all the drat time, but it took a LOT of album releases for people to even give him the time of day on the more fringe/risky stuff.

I feel like it's kind of unfair to generalize Kendrick in just terms of "I", because I do like him as an artist. I do, however, feel like he is trending too far in that direction and it might not go over so well......

(Can we discuss Tetsuo & Youth in the cannon of really great albums? I've listened to it probably a dozen times all the way through now and finally got down to digesting the lyrics seriously and it loving delivers on all levels.)

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 26, 2015

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Skeezy posted:

Here's a thing Kanye just tweeted.

Name for the album? New song? Who knows????

Big Sean's new album which he is featured on.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

I feel like his saving hip-hop schtick is part of what makes him great because he actually cares about the impact that his music has in more than the "right this second" realm. It's a dangerous area to be in when you jump the shark and try to do poo poo that people aren't necessarily going to want to hear from you the artist. "I" is a track that SCREAMS that it is perfect for Macklemore, not really the nigga from Compton. I'm not saying that he can't be creative or stretch his legs a little, but too much too soon will completely cut his career short and then his message and music will get drowned out in the sea of other people trying to make it right now. Kanye West is a perfect example of completely switching his style up all the drat time, but it took a LOT of album releases for people to even give him the time of day on the more fringe/risky stuff.

I feel like it's kind of unfair to generalize Kendrick in just terms of "I", because I do like him as an artist. I do, however, feel like he is trending too far in that direction and it might not go over so well......

(Can we discuss Tetsuo & Youth in the cannon of really great albums? I've listened to it probably a dozen times all the way through now and finally got down to digesting the lyrics seriously and it loving delivers on all levels.)

Nah, I def agree that his whole super-earnestness (and occasional corniness) help him out. But I'm just saying I hope he doesn't go too far to become some super-preachy dude, or just make a bunch of "uplifting" anthem poo poo all the time. Like the first time I heard dude was "Michael Jordan" which was just a song about being a cool-rear end dude. Or stuff like "Rigamortis" where he's just styling because he can. Like my fav songs from GKMC were Swimming Pools" and "Backseat Freestyle".

And I still gotta listen to Lupe's album more. I've been listening to F&L actually a lot lately, dude's always had bars on top of bars. Think it's a bit early to start saying his new one should be up with the greats yet (although I've always backed that Lupe's one of the best rappers in terms of rappity-rap rapping ever).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

alansmithee posted:

And I still gotta listen to Lupe's album more. I've been listening to F&L actually a lot lately, dude's always had bars on top of bars. Think it's a bit early to start saying his new one should be up with the greats yet (although I've always backed that Lupe's one of the best rappers in terms of rappity-rap rapping ever).

Mural, Prisoner 1/2, Chopper, Dots and Lines, and Adoration of the Magi are all easily up there with his best rapping rear end raps.

Yuzenn posted:

I'm still listening to it. I'm just really hesitant to look much past Lupe's own output as I'm trying to filter out if this is me just reacting to the fact that I've been waiting since Friend of the People for an enjoyable Lupe Project, and even that was more it's way better than Lasers but still not great.

So I can't tell if this is me overrating it because I was expecting so little out of it after the amount of bullshit that has come out of Lupe after that the fact that it's great is making me rate it so highly.

But between this album and those lost in the Atlantic releases(Mazinger, Halie Selassie, Lillies) last year, Lupe has been releasing a bunch of solid poo poo over the past year.

I'm really interested to see the route he takes now that he's fully independent.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 26, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

Mural, Prisoner 1/2, Chopper, Dots and Lines, and Adoration of the Magi are all easily up there with his best rapping rear end raps.

Mural is just a surprise steak dinner when it comes to the first real song on the album...it's 8 minutes of bars bars bars. Cop what he is speaking about too, it gets pretty deep in sections.

Prisoner 1/2 is beautifully delivered and designed and has some very unique story driven delivery themes. Halfway through the song it almost seems like it's over and BOOM it gets even better!

The rest of the album is so great but Deliver literally gives me goosebumps in the way that it drives home a very nuanced sensitive issue that becomes pretty easily digestible. The video that goes with it is really well done too (apologies for linking anything from WSHH but it's the best link I can find) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i90DrK5sFk. Lupe's delivery (puns?) and cadence are top notch all album long but this one shows how great of a lyricist Lupe really truly is.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2fTnnlZ8g8

:drat: wayne has some bars on this... i think? i honestly can't tell if it is because i got used to him being so loving lovely that i'm so impressed with this tape or if it is legit good

re: kendrick,I think the reason so many people like GKMC is because it is so well balanced (like all great albums). it doesn't do the same thing over and over again or overstay its welcome. there is an obvious theme binding the songs together. there is nothing truly obnoxious or terrible or offensive about it (except, well, let's be honest, the skits). It has the serious songs, the anthemic, the sad, the real, the matter-of-fact, the playful, the bravado, the romantic... it's all in there and all the songs are high quality even if you can't/don't listen to the whole thing with no skips (I don't). That is what makes it so distinct especially in the genre of rap. (Wait didn't some idiot itt just say that album didn't have soul to it or am I thinking of something else?)

Anyway, there aren't too many cohesive albums like it; Rap tends to be more singles-oriented (like all genres now, rap is just new enough that this has always been the industyr norm I guess) and the good albums tend to be collections of great singles. For the record though while I think it is the greatest rap [i]album[i] to come out in a looong time I also would not put it on the tier of Illmatic or 36 Chambers.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 26, 2015

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yuzenn posted:

I'm not saying that he can't be creative or stretch his legs a little, but too much too soon will completely cut his career short and then his message and music will get drowned out in the sea of other people trying to make it right now.
No he won't. He won't be cool anymore. And last time I checked, Kanye is a god.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Dexo posted:

I'm still listening to it. I'm just really hesitant to look much past Lupe's own output as I'm trying to filter out if this is me just reacting to the fact that I've been waiting since Friend of the People for an enjoyable Lupe Project, and even that was more it's way better than Lasers but still not great.

So I can't tell if this is me overrating it because I was expecting so little out of it after the amount of bullshit that has come out of Lupe after that the fact that it's great is making me rate it so highly.

But between this album and those lost in the Atlantic releases(Mazinger, Halie Selassie, Lillies) last year, Lupe has been releasing a bunch of solid poo poo over the past year.

I'm really interested to see the route he takes now that he's fully independent.

Lupe is seriously the new age Kanye.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
:barf:

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
lupe gets 0 <3 itt

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

A3th3r posted:

Lupe is seriously the new age Kanye.

lmao yeah nice :waycool:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
JEsus Tetsuo and Youth is one of those albums that gains value the more you delve into it. I'm so clueless I only just saw the famous-baby-album-cover part of Adoration of the Magi's chorus. The more I listen to this the more I appreciate (almost) every song.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is it a good place to start if I have never actually sat and listened to Lupe?

marilyn strife
May 25, 2013
saul williams is fuckin with Haleek Maul

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
eh, I kind of wish he'd done something more with Trent Reznor since Niggy Tardust was so good, sounded pretty ahead of its time at the time, and basically a way earlier/better Yeezus but I guess you can't just do The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust II.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js2RosE8Uwk

Here is a good place to start with Lupe Fiasco. If you buy the Chicago sound you'll like this. He is really a lot like Gucci Mane - some people just like him & some people just hate him.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thathonkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2fTnnlZ8g8

:drat: wayne has some bars on this... i think? i honestly can't tell if it is because i got used to him being so loving lovely that i'm so impressed with this tape or if it is legit good

It's good

yes

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgSijwAtmQ
If Lupe's future album is just 10 tracks of this it would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Ehh, i'd start with his first two albums. His new one is really good, but imo it's really dense. You gotta pay a lot of attention to it to get the "full value" or w/e. F&L and The Cool have a much more mellow, bouncy vibe and you can just listen a lot more (although the lyrics still sneak up on you).

The structure of his new one is different. there's like a 1 minute instrumental that sounds like something from the flashbulb, then you get an 8 minute song that's no hooks or anything-just straight rapping. It's drat impressive but you also gotta be wanting to listen to 8 minutes of rapping (which i'm not sure a lot of dudes here can do). The whole thing is kinda set up like that, with brief interludes and then really long songs with all sorts of wordplay.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

eh, I kind of wish he'd done something more with Trent Reznor since Niggy Tardust was so good, sounded pretty ahead of its time at the time, and basically a way earlier/better Yeezus but I guess you can't just do The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust II.
I don't really see the similarities with Yeezus (and I don't think it's better, that's blasphemy [praise Yeezuz]) but that was a really good, unappreciated album. It actually got me to check some of Reznor's stuff, and I also went and bought a copy when he "released" it (it was initially put up for free). It's not nearly as abrasive imo as Yeezus. I do agree it was ahead of it's time (that and the first Bobby Digital album were two I thought people didn't know what to do with when they dropped).