Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Zzulu posted:

whats so bad about DESTINY? wasnt it supposed to be the next big console thing?

you need to have friends to play with for it to be fun. it's pretty good if you don't burnout on it and have people to group up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Whole Internet posted:

That looks like crap.

Ultra-hard retro platformers are all the rage these days but some of them are just loving lazy. VVVVVV, super meat boy, IWTBTG, just don't seem interesting. Woo, die a hundred times until you can play a level from muscle memory and get to the next... identical level that also looks as interesting as a lazy newgrounds flash from 2005.

The retro throwback games that actually build on the best aspects of old games they draw inspiration from and add clever things to the formula are the ones worth playing. Freedom Planet, MURI, Shovel Knight, MegaMan Unlimited, etc.

NES Remix 2 is really good

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Tenchu Z caught a bad rap for no reason and it's a rare gem that isn't 50% marketplace for DLC

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I want to get a PAL NES but it was never officially released in South Africa, so I have the choice of a Syno Polystation 3 or ebay for my 8bit needs. gently caress this gay earth.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Video games peaked at Steel Battalion. Evidence: the kinect sequel couldn't live up to the original

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
New games suck because devs stopped pushing boundaries around 2007ish when COD4 proved you can make a fuckton of money by just rehashing the Quake 3 engine over and over again. Starsiege Tribes has more complexity, depth, and a higher match player count than Battlefield 4 for fucks sake and that came out in 1998... Cae and point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECp7FPwV1nc

poo poo graphics, really basic gameplay, but it looks fun as gently caress to play. Why? It's never been done before, and there's just so much random chaos going on that it's spectacular.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zzulu posted:

Metal Gear Solid: REVENGEANCE was solid goofy fun

Super short but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than most games I've played in the past 5 years or so (that weren't Platinum games).

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-kT5SDifCU
good soundtrack too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

NihilismNow posted:

IV is the best out of any game series.
Civ IV
Sim City IV
Europa Universalis IV
Hearts of Iron: IV (i hope)

No game series really need to go beyond IV because at that point you are regressing feature and gameplay wise.

counterpoint: TES IV: Oblivion

was/am a loving fiend for Morrowind, enjoy Skyrim alright, but Oblivion is just boring as poo poo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

counterpoint: TES IV: Oblivion

was/am a loving fiend for Morrowind, enjoy Skyrim alright, but Oblivion is just boring as poo poo

god, gently caress oblivion. boring game world, boring characters, boring quests, even worse combat than morrowind, terrible main story in which you don't even end up fighting the main villain. it was an even bigger disappointment than mass effect 3.

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
its not that video games are getting any worse, its just that as people who play games age they turn into cliche'd crotchety old men who think it used to all be better, and can you beleieve what they play on the radio nowadays

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010
madden has been the same freakin game fro 20 years how can it have gotten worse

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

sketch_nimrod posted:

madden has been the same freakin game fro 20 years how can it have gotten worse

I havent played in years but they used to introduce the most ridiculously gimmick features in addition to marginally better graphics and animation every year such as the ability to play as the halfback pre snap instead of qb. Boringand stupid as gently caress.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

these new games are too different, why are they all the same? they should be the same as my old games, they were all different same games. they should make new different games like the same old games so that all the new old same games are same new different games.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Whole Internet posted:

That looks like crap.

Ultra-hard retro platformers are all the rage these days but some of them are just loving lazy. VVVVVV, super meat boy, IWTBTG, just don't seem interesting. Woo, die a hundred times until you can play a level from muscle memory and get to the next... identical level that also looks as interesting as a lazy newgrounds flash from 2005.

The retro throwback games that actually build on the best aspects of old games they draw inspiration from and add clever things to the formula are the ones worth playing. Freedom Planet, MURI, Shovel Knight, MegaMan Unlimited, etc.

VVVVVV is cool and good and is inspired by a specific old game from the creator's childhood.

Just cause a game has dying a lot built in doesn't mean it's Shobon Action

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Revengeance was also cool and reminded me that action games are fun after playing a lot of tedious poo poo like Heavenly Sword

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

NihilismNow posted:

IV is the best out of any game series.
Civ IV
Sim City IV
Europa Universalis IV
Hearts of Iron: IV (i hope)

No game series really need to go beyond IV because at that point you are regressing feature and gameplay wise.

Final Fantasy Series?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wizgot posted:

Final Fantasy Series?

What? Final Fantasy IV was the best one. :colbert: The fact that I was 11 when I played it has nothing to do with it.

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010

thathonkey posted:

I havent played in years but they used to introduce the most ridiculously gimmick features in addition to marginally better graphics and animation every year such as the ability to play as the halfback pre snap instead of qb. Boringand stupid as gently caress.

new games are mostly just old games with some gimmicky poo poo tacked on which is advertised heavily prior to relaese in an attempt to convince gamers who purchased the last edition that this ones gonna be different

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Cubey posted:

god, gently caress oblivion. boring game world, boring characters, boring quests, even worse combat than morrowind, terrible main story in which you don't even end up fighting the main villain. it was an even bigger disappointment than mass effect 3.

shivering isles expansion was the only half-way decent thing about it

once I was done with that, I was done

I hope the people who are remaking Morrowind on the Skyrim base (IDK how it works) finish it, and also leave some of the improvements Skyrim had like not have to click so loving much

oh you want the ingredients in this flower? click click

oh you want to get out of dialogue? gotta hit a specific button with the mouse

that poo poo was annoying in 2001 and it's annoying now

assuming they do leave the improvements, I'll play the heck out of it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

sketch_nimrod posted:

new games are mostly just old games with some gimmicky poo poo tacked on which is advertised heavily prior to relaese in an attempt to convince gamers who purchased the last edition that this ones gonna be different

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread a number of alarming parallels can now be drawn between modern movie and gaming industries. Esp now that gaming has surpassed movies in terms of $$$ (i think?) it's no surprise theyre digging into hollywoods bag of lovely, creativity-averse capitalist tricks because all the sleazy dickbag execs who invented those tricks follow that $$$

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 26, 2015

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sketch_nimrod posted:

its not that video games are getting any worse, its just that as people who play games age they turn into cliche'd crotchety old men who think it used to all be better, and can you beleieve what they play on the radio nowadays

Not really

I'd argue movies are a bit better (though I prefer puppets to CGI)

TV is way the hell better now. I cannot make it through a single 80s sitcom today no matter how much I loved them as a kid aside for some rare exceptions

Video games and music definitely got worse tho

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Welcome to a new forum.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
new video games are cool actually. i like playing them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Buy a wii u you loving idiot

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Some new games are good but most of them loving blow.

You could replace the word "new" with any chronological reference and that sentence would still be true. Most games have always sucked, do suck, and always will suck. It's always been about finding the gems in a sea of turds.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

sketch_nimrod posted:

I'm turning into a crotchety old man and can I just say this opinion is poo poo, games really are getting worse.

My biggest gripe at the moment is the absolute influx of lovely survival games. Even worse when they combine Zombies because those are an interesting new idea.

Just about my favorite of all of them is The Long Dark because you aren't constantly fighting off waves of lovely enemies and just have to not freeze or starve to death.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Video games and music definitely got worse tho

I think video game badness just got enhanced with the technological leaps. Even in the early days you could see this; Roberta Williams' insanity was always there, but definitely way more pronounced in future games which allowed for more text, actual actors and poo poo like that. I'm also pretty sure there'd have been dumb bullshit like a tutorial box every time you got a rupee out of a treasure chest back in A Link To The Past if the SNES cartridge size at the time allowed for it.

Games were better when the cartridges weren't big enough to have things like "a story" or "writing", and the only thing you could have in your game was...well, game.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I do a lot less gaming on consoles these days but I still play a shitload of PC games. Better prices, a lot of variety, I can pick and choose what I use for input, etc. I don't make as many impulse purchases in console land after getting burned several times, on the PC even if I'm a moron who preorders something its often $35-40 versus paying $60+. I ran a long HDMI cable so I can play it like a console or just sit at the PC too which is nice. Another beef I have is that the digital pricing for many titles on the consoles takes way too long to come down, I often just get the PC port down the road instead. Finally, I find that many genres I enjoyed growing up aren't as well represented these days. I get that companies really want mass market success but I feel like its left several genres under represented. I don't think the fans necessarily went anywhere either but the revenue derived from them couldn't compete with the crazy growth in costs for making games.

There have been some good Kickstarter games though which gives me some hope for stuff that the AAA industry can't or won't make.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

It's called anhedonia and it means you are severely hosed up OP. Smoking weed or drinking while gaming might help cloud your awareness that immersing yourself in video games is no longer a pleasurable activity; many people find this an acceptable compromise. Best of luck.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Zzulu posted:

whats so bad about DESTINY? wasnt it supposed to be the next big console thing?

it's not outright awful, it's just average as gently caress. one of the most soulless games i've ever played. major problems in my opinion are:

-grinding the same missions a billion times to get to the end game stuff

-character progression is insanely bland

-superpowers are seriously lacking in oomph for how long their cooldown times are

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video games are insanely awesome and I appreciate the absurd comfort and security of my own life where I get to waste time playing them instead of, say, dying from a preventable illness or churning butter or whatever my ancestors did. And the way I see it, things are only getting better because more cool games come out every year, AND the old ones never go away, either. You can play them whenever you want! In conclusion, games are really good, and I recommend all of them wholeheartedly.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
people who played Elder Scrolls 4 vanilla ITT without mods don't understand how to play Elder Scrolls games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a bone to pick posted:

people who played Elder Scrolls 4 vanilla ITT without mods don't understand how to play Elder Scrolls games.

oblivion with a thousand mods is still not even half as good as morrowind or skyrim are with no mods. and you shouldn't need to mod a game to have fun with in it to begin with.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

oblivion with a thousand mods is still not even half as good as morrowind or skyrim are with no mods. and you shouldn't need to mod a game to have fun with in it to begin with.

idk dude dragons completely ruined skyrim for me, I had to mod them out because of how annoying they were. and people saying morrowind had a better combat system... loooolllll you have got to be making GBS threads me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Combat in Morrowind sucked but basically everything else about it was 10x cooler than Oblivion or Skyrim.

All the later games did was raise the combat up from "poo poo" to "bad" while making almost everything else worse.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I worked around the hosed-up levelling system in Oblivion on 360 with custom classes and it wasn't terrible but all I did was play the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild and Mage's Guild questlines. Same things I did in Skyrim, actually.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a bone to pick posted:

idk dude dragons completely ruined skyrim for me, I had to mod them out because of how annoying they were. and people saying morrowind had a better combat system... loooolllll you have got to be making GBS threads me

Sorry dude, the combat in Morrowind is objectively better by virtue of you actually being able to hurt dudes when you hit them. Oblivion turned every single enemy into hp sponges as an overreaction to making all your swings hit. Every loving fight takes way too goddamn long, no matter your level (actually even longer the higher level you are thanks to the Worst Leveling Ever In A Videogame). In Morrowind you could actually do something about the bad combat to make it less bad as well, like using magic, or fortifying agility, or just making sure you weren't low on fatigue when you were fighting. In Oblivion there is jack and poo poo you can do to make the combat less of a slog, you are stuck with it the whole time. It's pathetic and the only people who could possibly think it was a step up from Morrowind are people too thick to build a character that didn't suck poo poo.

a messed up horse posted:

I worked around the hosed-up levelling system in Oblivion on 360 with custom classes and it wasn't terrible but all I did was play the Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild and Mage's Guild questlines. Same things I did in Skyrim, actually.

The Dark Brotherhood was the only remotely interesting thing in Oblivion, but even that fell to poo poo when you murder all your bros.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 26, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think we can settle on Morrowind combat being worse mechanically, but better in execution than Oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cubey posted:

The Dark Brotherhood was the only remotely interesting thing in Oblivion, but even that fell to poo poo when you murder all your bros.

Did Morrowind have any kind of spellcrafting system like Oblivion did? I mean it wasn't amazing but I had some fun screwing around with that.

• Locked thread