Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, I can't see this being a series. Some kid was putting people in danger, a guy came up and slapped him to get him under control, and now his negligent parents are crying foul. That's enough material for a two hour tv movie, at most. I can't imagine this sustaining itself for 13 or 22 episodes because the precipitating incident is just so trivial. Why not just do a Hatfields and McCoys tv series instead, because at least those lunatics did something interest with their silly feud?

Both the original version and the adaptation are 8-part miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you're having trouble understanding how it can be a series, the original series is on Netflix.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lycus posted:

If you're having trouble understanding how it can be a series, the original series is on Netflix.

I'm not having trouble understanding how it can be a series so much as why it would be a series.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So the book has eight chapters with eight narrators. I'm assuming each gets their own episode? That's pretty cool.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

raditts posted:

I'm not having trouble understanding how it can be a series so much as why it would be a series.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at. It's like basing a story on the central premise of whether or not in modern society it should be acceptable to stage dog fights. Or bait bears. Or beat your partner. The answer is no, no it shouldn't be acceptable. That's a poo poo central premise.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
It's funny that RJS just posted because I think I found a new reason for him to hate America

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's Liberace's battered sausage. By that I mean they've taken the core concept of this:

And slapped a load of tasteless poo poo all over it.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 26, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bown posted:

So the book has eight chapters with eight narrators. I'm assuming each gets their own episode? That's pretty cool.

Does the pilot end on a cliffhanger where the slapee's family's kid gets punched?

I really hope the series is a bunch of escalations that results in the whole neighborhood getting burned down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Slap looks great with a great cast. I look forward to it getting a 0.4 in the demo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

It's funny that RJS just posted because I think I found a new reason for him to hate America

Hurry! Only 50 of these things you could easily cook at home by bending a breaded chicken fillet around a sausage only you never do because why would you?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's hard to get excited for "Black & White Moral Concept: The TVening". No matter how many Zachary Quimtoe's they put in it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
For these modern times shouldn't the issue be whether it was ok to shoot the kid? Two to the body one to the head?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If his parents were responsible he would have had a gun and shot the man who wanted to hit him. Now there's a series. Sort of a ruggedly manly Walker Texas Ranger style macho deal, but with Pokemon and Mr Spock.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
There could be this rookie kid shooter who is all like "couldn't we just shoot the legs" and the mentor kid shooter will be all "NEVER do that, ALWAYS go for the kill shot".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Then he's all like, "BUT HE'S TALL?" and he isn't strong enough to hold the gun that high, but then there's a montage and he learns how to be strong. Dramatic scene of him straining to hold the gun up, and then then he does it. He shoots the adult in the balls?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regarde Aduck posted:

For these modern times shouldn't the issue be whether it was ok to shoot the kid? Two to the body one to the head?

The kid isn't black, stand your ground doesn't apply.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Juice Box Doctrine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If we cut at night to the scene of the shooting where two hot 21 year olds are totally boning right on the spot where the child was murdered then we can totally sell this to HBO.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is going on

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Tiny little autist baby swings a bat around and gets hit, a tragedy for the ages.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Juice Box Doctrine.

"But he was wearing a jumper and carrying a Capri Sun and a Handi-Snacks!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If his parents were responsible he would have had a gun and shot the man who wanted to hit him. Now there's a series. Sort of a ruggedly manly Walker Texas Ranger style macho deal, but with Pokemon and Mr Spock.

Now I'm imagining that whole scene in the promo trailer except everyone has guns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at. It's like basing a story on the central premise of whether or not in modern society it should be acceptable to stage dog fights. Or bait bears. Or beat your partner. The answer is no, no it shouldn't be acceptable. That's a poo poo central premise.

The book describes it as

quote:

"turning into a spiral, agonising and arguing over the notion that striking a child can ever be justified. Some believe a naughty boy should be taught some discipline, others maintain the police ought to be brought in to investigate a common assault"

quote:

described The Slap as "a controversial and daring novel" which examines "identities and personal relationships in a multicultural society" and "taps into universal tensions and dilemmas around family life and child-rearing"

What you think about hitting kids as a form is discipline is irrelevant when a huge amount of people still do it, brag about it, and think its okay. In an ideal society it'd be a poo poo premise but there are still millions of people in the US who see absolutely nothing wrong with slapping an unruly kid who's parents are carefree hippies, nevermind people immigrating from foreign countries with different values who routinely hit their kids and spouses as a form of socially acceptable control in their home country.

I doubt the miniseries is going to change anyone's mind but at least it'll get people arguing about it and convince some people there are alternatives to hitting kids, and serious consequences if you do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looks like Cartoon Network sister station Boomerang has decided to rebrand.

No sir, I don't like it.

pentyne posted:

What you think about hitting kids as a form is discipline is irrelevant when a huge amount of people still do it, brag about it, and think its okay. In an ideal society it'd be a poo poo premise but there are still millions of people in the US who see absolutely nothing wrong with slapping an unruly kid who's parents are carefree hippies, nevermind people immigrating from foreign countries with different values who routinely hit their kids and spouses as a form of socially acceptable control in their home country.

I doubt the miniseries is going to change anyone's mind but at least it'll get people arguing about it and convince some people there are alternatives to hitting kids, and serious consequences if you do.

"Real murican slaps some sense into the unruly kid of carefree liberal hippies" is such a hilarious strawman though. If each episode has a different narrator, I hope at least they make it into some kind of POV type deal instead of 8 hours of drama over whether it's acceptable for strangers to hit your children.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 26, 2015

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

raditts posted:

Now I'm imagining that whole scene in the promo trailer except everyone has guns.

No, guns are way too dangerous. They will all have to settle for walkie talkies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And I want to see Zachary Quinto playing a real murican character now

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

"Real murican slaps some sense into the unruly kid of carefree liberal hippies" is such a hilarious strawman though. If each episode has a different narrator, I hope at least they make it into some kind of POV type deal instead of 8 hours of drama over whether it's acceptable for strangers to hit your children.

If that's what it is I'm somewhat interested, the trailer does a piss poor job of setting that up though, it just looked like cheap controversy bait over whether it's ok to slap some brat. I guess it can be both.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

If that's what it is I'm somewhat interested, the trailer does a piss poor job of setting that up though, it just looked like cheap controversy bait over whether it's ok to slap some brat. I guess it can be both.

The AUS series is more family drama as people take sides, have their own life problems to deal with and each episode is a POV of a different person, not a serial drama like the trailer makes it out to be. The guy who slaps the kid is also a self made millionaire so when it comes to being charged for slapping the kid he gets a shark of a lawyer and plans to humiliate the parents in open court to get back at them. Other then that it's mostly people taking sides, arguing with other friends/family, and trying to keep the peace while the hippie parents act like it was the end of the world.

Oh, and I don't know if it'll be in the US version, but in the AUS version the kid is 4 and the mother is still breast feeding him, so it's that kind of child raising environment.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

pentyne posted:

The AUS series is more family drama as people take sides, have their own life problems to deal with and each episode is a POV of a different person, not a serial drama like the trailer makes it out to be. The guy who slaps the kid is also a self made millionaire so when it comes to being charged for slapping the kid he gets a shark of a lawyer and plans to humiliate the parents in open court to get back at them. Other then that it's mostly people taking sides, arguing with other friends/family, and trying to keep the peace while the hippie parents act like it was the end of the world.

Oh, and I don't know if it'll be in the US version, but in the AUS version the kid is 4 and the mother is still breast feeding him, so it's that kind of child raising environment.

Wow, okay. That couldn't be more strawmanny if it took place in Oz.
I'm not exactly expecting a whole lot of nuance to be added from the network that thought adapting Kath & Kim was a good idea either.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

raditts posted:

Either way, if you have Netflix, you can just watch it and decide that way if should've been a series.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
all fictional characters are straw men by nature

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xeria posted:

Speaking as someone who railed against watching PoI as recently as a little over a year ago, the show is far and away my #1 show of the past year and I'm a stupid idiot for not having watched it sooner.

Alright, give me episodes. I just was bored by the five or so episodes I've caught randomly on CBS. It suffers from Law and Order-itis to me, basically being servicable to watch in the background as I do something else.

EDIT: VVV Actually, I'll probably just do that.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 26, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm waiting for PoI to come out in Netflix later this year.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spartacus is coming up on Netflix. Watch this amazing show from the beginning (well, maybe the second episode).

EDIT: I have to say The Slap trailer kinda made feel uncomfortable. Like, how easy it was to be boiled up about that kid, and here I'm the most laid-back hippy dippy guy when it comes to children. Hitting children is the worst. But that trailer is like the child slapping equivalent of an episode of 24, where we all know torture is bad, but the show has spent a season building the perfect set of events to make torture seem like the ONLY OPTION AVAILABLE (drat IT WE'RE OUT OF TIME).

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 26, 2015

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Shageletic posted:

Alright, give me episodes. I just was bored by the five or so episodes I've caught randomly on CBS. It suffers from Law and Order-itis to me, basically being servicable to watch in the background as I do something else.

My top five, and even ten, episodes of the series kind of lose something if you haven't actually watched the rest of it to date. Relevance (2x16, Sarah Shahi's first episode) might be the most standalone one of the bunch.

The track I took my roommate on, since I knew he wouldn't sit loving still long enough to watch the first season and change, was this:

1x01 - Pilot
1x04 - Cura Te Ipsum
1x07 - Witness
1x13 - Root Cause
1x21 - Many Happy Returns
1x22 - No Good Deed
1x23 - Firewall

2x01 - Contingency
2x02 - Bad Code
2x16 - Relevance

Note - this skips a lot of Reese and Finch's respective backstories, and a whole lot of the Carter/Fusco/HR storyline. If the show interests you enough after especially those first four S1 episodes, it's definitely worth just watching the rest in order. It's more procedural than not through definitely the first season, and probably the first half or so of season 2.

(If you get through those season 1 episodes and are still Real Bored, yeah it might just not be your thing. Maybe give 2x16 a shot at that point for a go/no-go decision.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

xeria posted:

My top five, and even ten, episodes of the series kind of lose something if you haven't actually watched the rest of it to date. Relevance (2x16, Sarah Shahi's first episode) might be the most standalone one of the bunch.

The track I took my roommate on, since I knew he wouldn't sit loving still long enough to watch the first season and change, was this:

1x01 - Pilot
1x04 - Cura Te Ipsum
1x07 - Witness
1x13 - Root Cause
1x21 - Many Happy Returns
1x22 - No Good Deed
1x23 - Firewall

2x01 - Contingency
2x02 - Bad Code
2x16 - Relevance

Note - this skips a lot of Reese and Finch's respective backstories, and a whole lot of the Carter/Fusco/HR storyline. If the show interests you enough after especially those first four S1 episodes, it's definitely worth just watching the rest in order. It's more procedural than not through definitely the first season, and probably the first half or so of season 2.

(If you get through those season 1 episodes and are still Real Bored, yeah it might just not be your thing. Maybe give 2x16 a shot at that point for a go/no-go decision.)

Quoting this for referring to later. Thanks xeria.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Spartacus is coming up on Netflix. Watch this amazing show from the beginning (well, maybe the second episode).

Oh, finally. It was on netflix maybe a year or two ago and got taken down a few days after I committed to watching it, so I'm pretty excited.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Shageletic posted:

Quoting this for referring to later. Thanks xeria.

I would add 1x19 - Flesh and Blood to that list since it pays off the story line that 1x7 sets up. otherwise, good list.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So does this mean Black Sails is coming to Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think Starz sells shows to Netflix individually now. For instance, Boss has been back on there for a while now, but Party Down isn't.

Bahahahahahaha David Tennant is gonna play Purple Man in AKA Jessica Jones

hcreight fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread