Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Holy poo poo that picture. :psyduck:

Women find this man attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Who the gently caress is Jessica Jones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Weird looking British guys are super in right now.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

pentyne posted:

Oh, and I don't know if it'll be in the US version, but in the AUS version the kid is 4 and the mother is still breast feeding him, so it's that kind of child raising environment.

http://i.imgur.com/NpHxllp.jpg (maybe :nws:)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Who the gently caress is Jessica Jones.

She's a more recent character and her big thing is that she has superpowers but doesn't run around as a superhero. She did when she was younger but quit after a traumatic event.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

He looked a lot less homeless and about 20 years younger on Dr. Who. I can assure you though, that he is so, so sorry about his appearance. So sorry. So very sorry. Then he'll get all shouty.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

muscles like this? posted:

She's a more recent character and her big thing is that she has superpowers but doesn't run around as a superhero. She did when she was younger but quit after a traumatic event.

So Hancock.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurtofan posted:

So Hancock.

A bit but she also works as a PI for cases involving super heroes and villains.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

So Hancock.

With rape.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

He's a supermodel compared to Benedict Cumberbatch and we all know about the weird fangirl cult around that guy.

IRQ posted:

He looked a lot less homeless and about 20 years younger on Dr. Who. I can assure you though, that he is so, so sorry about his appearance. So sorry. So very sorry. Then he'll get all shouty.

:golfclap:

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 26, 2015

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

And men find Anna "I can't close my mouth" Kendrick and her sharpened rat face attractive. What's your point?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

soapgish posted:

And men find Anna "I can't close my mouth" Kendrick and her sharpened rat face attractive. What's your point?

I have a friend that has some bizarre attraction to Kristen Stewart. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I have a friend that has some bizarre attraction to Kristen Stewart. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

Kristen Stewart strikes me as the kind of gal it'd be cool to get high with and bang on the cas.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Sounds like someone fell asleep at the wheel for this, moreso than I expected:

https://twitter.com/NexusFandom/status/559793606467133440

quote:

Here is a screen grab from the Buffy HD conversion, which I believe is paid for by 20th for Blu-Ray. Look right.

:psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's awesome. I want to finally watch Buffy now to see things like that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's very high definition.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Nah, those guys are just shooting a documentary. Up on a roof. At night.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

How are you guys all watching PoI now? Is it streaming somewhere?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fooz posted:

How are you guys all watching PoI now? Is it streaming somewhere?

You know how they are doing this, the scoundrels. I, a true supporter of the medium, am correctly waiting until it is released on the streaming service of my choice.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I buy the blu-ray sets when they come out to balance myself out karmically.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What do you mean Hulu's logo isn't a pirate ship!?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

You know how they are doing this, the scoundrels. I, a true supporter of the medium, am correctly waiting until it is released on the streaming service of my choice.

I watched the first 2 seasons on Netflix UK.

That makes us even.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sober posted:

Sounds like someone fell asleep at the wheel for this, moreso than I expected:

https://twitter.com/NexusFandom/status/559793606467133440

:psyduck:

I recall hearing that Buffy has had problems like this before. Some seasons were shot 16:9 and then matted to 4:3 to get rid of the crew and equipment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I watched the first 2 seasons on Netflix UK.

That makes us even.

Are you an englishman

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Random Stranger posted:

I recall hearing that Buffy has had problems like this before. Some seasons were shot 16:9 and then matted to 4:3 to get rid of the crew and equipment.
One of these days people are gonna figure out if it was shot in 4:3, it should stay in 4:3, the gaping black bars on the side of the screen be damned.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

One of these days people are gonna figure out if it was shot in 4:3, it should stay in 4:3, the gaping black bars on the side of the screen be damned.

Counterpoint: Cheers, Batman '66.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If I can watch black and white movies and shows, I can watch 4:3 shows.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Decided I'm gonna use blizzard-time to give Supernatural a chance. I watched the pilot and it was surprisingly decent.

A couple friends of mine have told me the first season is a little iffy, but it gets pretty reliably good by season 2. Is that pretty accurate? And, if so, what are the key season 1 episodes to watch so I won't be lost if I jump right into season 2?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK, we'll let you watch Supernatural but you have to watch the racist truck episode all the way through.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The first season is campy monster fun with small hints of a future story arc. There's maybe 2 episodes that are painful to get through, at the worst really there's stretches of mediocrity in there. I'd watch it all the way through though cause a lot of the series builds on the groundwork of season 1's monster mythology.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah bugs and route 666(the racist truck) are the only bad eps of s1.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

OldSenileGuy posted:

Decided I'm gonna use blizzard-time to give Supernatural a chance. I watched the pilot and it was surprisingly decent.

A couple friends of mine have told me the first season is a little iffy, but it gets pretty reliably good by season 2. Is that pretty accurate? And, if so, what are the key season 1 episodes to watch so I won't be lost if I jump right into season 2?

It's all good except Route 666, aka the "Racist Truck" episode, which itself is worth watching just to get an indication of how bad Supernatural can be.

If you absolutely must just watch key episodes, try episodes 4 (Phantom Traveler), 6 (Skin), 7 (Hook Man), 9 (Home), 12 (Faith), 14 (Nightmare), 16 (Shadow), 17 (Hell House), 20 (Dead Man's Blood), and the final two 21 & 22. Each of these episode touch on mythology referenced later on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If we had to sit through the week to week, the least you can do is man up and binge it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah right, like I'm NOT gonna watch something called "the racist truck episode" :rolleyes:

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Season 1 isn't so much iffy as it is a bit procedural. Don't get me wrong, season 1 is one of the weaker seasons as there are a few duds in there, but if you can put up with MOTW episodes I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it. If you want to skip ahead unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't easily get you a list of key episodes, but I'm pretty sure you'd be safe watching the first and last few episodes of season 1, and maybe one or two others in the middle but I'm not in a position to say exactly which ones right now.

E: figures by the time I type it all out and hit reply someone gives you an episode list.

Jingleheimer fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 27, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Season 1 is okay but the episodes are extremely formulaic hitting a lot of the same story beats each episode. Things get better by the end of the season when they shake things up a bit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Manos del Sino posted:

It's all good except Route 666, aka the "Racist Truck" episode, which itself is worth watching just to get an indication of how bad Supernatural can be.

If you absolutely must just watch key episodes, try episodes 4 (Phantom Traveler), 6 (Skin), 7 (Hook Man), 9 (Home), 12 (Faith), 14 (Nightmare), 16 (Shadow), 17 (Hell House), 20 (Dead Man's Blood), and the final two 21 & 22. Each of these episode touch on mythology referenced later on.

At this stage "Racist Truck" is kind of a must watch. Not only is it unanimously considered the worst episode so you always have that to assure you things never get that bad again, but at some point they just start referencing the thing and making fun of it in the show itself. If you skip Racist Truck then you miss the joy of laughing at it down the line.

You can totally follow Manos' list if you just want to mainline right into the meta storyline. It looks like it hits all the key stuff for the main story. But honestly, most of S1 is pretty solid stuff and pretty much every episode has a callback sooner or later. So even if you skip them the first time around if you end up liking the show you should go back and watch the first season anyway.

But it IS formulaic and "monster of the week" stuff. Things can feel a little pointless until you see the overarching plot, and that takes a little while (unless you follow that abbreviated list).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jingleheimer posted:

Season 1 isn't so much iffy as it is a bit procedural. Don't get me wrong, season 1 is one of the weaker seasons as there are a few duds in there, but if you can put up with MOTW episodes I don't think you'll have too much trouble with it. If you want to skip ahead unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't easily get you a list of key episodes, but I'm pretty sure you'd be safe watching the first and last few episodes of season 1, and maybe one or two others in the middle but I'm not in a position to say exactly which ones right now.

E: figures by the time I type it all out and hit reply someone gives you an episode list.

Season 1 it was still "uh, we might get cancelled" and the attitude carried forward into the start of season 2 before they were able to go all in with their 5 year plan and start laying the groundwork for multi-season plots with a tied up ending at the end of season 5.

Then they got more seasons, and had to tack on a stinger to lead into season 6. 6 is definitely out of place and just plain weird. Season 7/8/9 are tied together by a few central concepts and get good after a point. Season 10 is turning out to be a lot of wheel spinning and waiting for something big to happen, and since they've greenlit season 11, and have promised to keep making the show as long as the ratings stay stable (and they do) it could go on even long.

The absolute best by far is season 4/5, when everything starts to pay off in a big way and the size of the in-show universe is blown open.

I would also say to watch the motw episodes, because some of them are pretty good, and by season 7 and on you don't get many of them. There's a great episode in season 8 after the stakes have skyrocketed beyond belief where Sam and Dean are just chilling and Sam spots a news story about mysterious animal killings, gets excited and goes "This could be an straight up monster hunt, like we used to!"

I'd say my favorite motw episodes are

- the mysterious ghost serial killer It's H.H Holmes
- the one where a boy's stuffed animal comes to life and begs for death The boy is nephilem, has god-like powers and is confused
- Kronos the god of time
- Anything with Ghostchasers
- Where Dean meets an old flame, sees a kid that might be his and freaks out the entire episode
- Any episode with Rufus ("No, I'm pretty sure its 7 times, not 9")
- The locked down town that's a cult (Castiel gets crazy drunk)

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 27, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just finished the second episode, and though not bad, it seemed totally skippable.

So I'll probably move forward with that list posted above, plus any episodes with synopses that pull me in, plus Scarecrow which my friend said is the episode that hooked him, plus the racist truck episode, which I am really looking forward to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You HAVE to watch Scarecrow. That was an unfortunate omission from that list.

pentyne posted:

Season 1 it was still "uh, we might get cancelled" and the attitude carried forward into the start of season 2 before they were able to go all in with their 5 year plan and start laying the groundwork for multi-season plots with a tied up ending at the end of season 5.
I'm sure its some of that but I also think they made a concentrated effort to establish the world and the Winchesters and slowly unveil the story. In the end Supernatural S1-5 is a massive story about a conspiracy and world that has been going since before these guys were born. They don't open a book and discover the mystery, they pick up pieces as they go until they finally start to see a picture forming and realize there's a puzzle there. So I think that's the best argument for just watching S1. You follow them on their week to week "is this all there is?" monster slog until you start seeing the bigger picture slowly just like they do. And later you even start to realize that things you thought were meaningless actually weren't.

• Locked thread