Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

In Dungeonmans I'm not clear on something: Are Stat boosts from Proofs of Stremf one-use or do they benefit future characters as well?

Both, their one use is more potent but they build up over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
When you turn one in, your current character gets 2 stat points and your future characters get 1.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I remember at some point people in this thread talked about NEO Scavenger and advice on solid starts, but I can't find it again. So I guess does anyone have any suggestions for it or can repost the relevant stuff?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Take Strong, Tough, Melee, and Trapping, kill the Dogman at the start, use Trapping and a glass shard to skin the dogman, wear its pelt as a coat, go forth and destroy.

It's not the most adaptable build, but it's tough as nails and a good way to learn a bit about the game. You can take drawbacks to grab Athletic or Medic if you want, they're good picks.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Don't remember seeing any chat about Mysterious Castle on iOS. Anyone playing it? I'm really digging it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really excited for the backer release of the Darkest Dungeon on Friday. But I need something to tide me over until then, so did anything get released in the last two months that I missed?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really excited for the backer release of the Darkest Dungeon on Friday. But I need something to tide me over until then, so did anything get released in the last two months that I missed?

Have you played Necrodancer?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh poo poo it's this Friday? That month flew by!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just watched a stream for delver, it looks about what my expectations for "minecraft-as-roguelike" pegged it to be

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Qud questions:

What's the difference between having a shield on my arm vs in my hand? Should I do both if I can? (I like light manipulation and so I usually don't need a torch.)

Is it safe to ignore the dodging stat in favor of the armor one? Should I be trying to balance them? I've been doing carapace so dodging seems pretty shot.

Is there a "wait out cooldowns" button?

How safe is it to have dump stats? Build I've been doing is:
12 str
12 agi -> up to 13 first point for butchery
18 tough
14 int
18 will
26 ego(too far?)

Carapace
Disintegration
Light manipulation
Sunder Mind
Ravenous

PS I'm bad and dying a lot and I really wish I could save my skill bindings, and that I just started with the items from the Joppa chests

EDIT: What do shields do? They don't seem to add to AV, do I need a skill to use them?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 27, 2015

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Made my first char that got past level 2, hit level 10, died to a chaingun :C

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Qud questions:

What's the difference between having a shield on my arm vs in my hand? Should I do both if I can? (I like light manipulation and so I usually don't need a torch.)

Is it safe to ignore the dodging stat in favor of the armor one? Should I be trying to balance them? I've been doing carapace so dodging seems pretty shot.

Is there a "wait out cooldowns" button?

How safe is it to have dump stats? Build I've been doing is:
12 str
12 agi -> up to 13 first point for butchery
18 tough
14 int
18 will
26 ego(too far?)

Carapace
Disintegration
Light manipulation
Sunder Mind
Ravenous

PS I'm bad and dying a lot and I really wish I could save my skill bindings, and that I just started with the items from the Joppa chests

DV is a pretty flimsy defense and everything that adds much AV tanks your DV. You can get to about 18 AV with fullerite gloves/hat/boots, making you nearly immune to physical damage (does not affect elemental damage or explosions). I still like having some fairly normal agility because it's a lot easier to use guns with low investment than melee. I also like to start around 16-18 int to pick up some basic tinkering (gadget inspector, disassemble, tinkering 1, maybe turrets to help with bosses). Definitely go Apostle if you're maxing Ego, Intimidate and Proselytize are very nice early survival tools.

You don't NEED tinkering (and I really don't recommend Tinkering III at all), but I like knowing what my loot is and maybe being able to crap out some grenades or recharge some power cells. Finding or making a flamethrower can make the later parts of the main quest a lot easier to deal with.

As far as I know, shields are essentially useless without the shield skill tree. I don't know if multiple shields stack, but there doesn't seem to be a difference between a buckler (arm slot) and a shield (hand slot) other than the stats they provide. There's a unique 3 AV buckler or you can get 4 AV eyeless crab shells for your hand slots with master butchery.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 27, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Uhh I picked up an artifact tube from a chest and now I have burrowing claws and my screen is all blue, any idea what happened? I don't see claws on my mutation list to level up or anything. "Your heart begins to beat faster and your pupils dilate".

Should I be upgrading my existing mutations or getting new ones? The cooldowns seem pretty brutal when I'm using them as my main attacks, even lase with 5 charges that recharge is kinda harsh. I'm tempted to wait out the cooldown after every fight but that's annoying.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 27, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Uhh I picked up an artifact tube from a chest and now I have burrowing claws and my screen is all blue, any idea what happened? I don't see claws on my mutation list to level up or anything. I'm very confused by the message log and don't know how to get to the end.

Skulk injectors give you burrowing claws, night vision and an agi bonus at night/penalty during the day. They wear off eventually, but I think they might be one of the longer lasting tonics.

e: also a speed bonus/penalty. Lasts 1000-1200 turns. Congrats, you're a moleman for the next dayish.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 27, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Skulk injectors give you burrowing claws, night vision and an agi bonus at night/penalty during the day. They wear off eventually, but I think they might be one of the longer lasting tonics.

e: also a speed bonus/penalty. Lasts 1000-1200 turns. Congrats, you're a moleman for the next dayish.

Hmm I didn't think I applied it, but I must have. Good to know, thanks for all the help.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The default action for tonics is apply, so it's easy to fat finger like that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sorry for spamming the thread, this game is very cool! I ate all my watervines wandering around so now all I got is corpses. How much should I level my mutations versus getting random new ones? I didn't choose esper so no guarantee that they'll be mental. I've been upgrading my carapace but I don't know if that drops off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you're going full-bore caster mutant, I personally recommend spending your mutation points on getting new mutations for the first 12 levels or so, especially if you took Esper. More attack spells is helpful, plus you won't be able to upgrade your mental mutations for a long time anyway (your high Ego bonus makes their effective level too high compared to your character level).

The cooldown's kind of painful, granted, but after a few levels Lase will be so powerful that it'll do most of a big fight for you on its own.

Rather than Ravenous, consider taking Evil Twin. Evil Twin hardly ever procs, and when it does it's generally a pretty fun fight :v: Plus it means you have less food (== weight) to deal with when traveling overland.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I recommend maxing carapace asap if you took it. If you didn't take any other physical mutations you'll only be able to spend half your points on carapace, anyway. Amphibious is probably the easiest disadvantage to deal with, since your water needs are very low to begin with and it doesn't block you from the lower food/water consumption skills.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 27, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Rather than Ravenous, consider taking Evil Twin. Evil Twin hardly ever procs, and when it does it's generally a pretty fun fight :v: Plus it means you have less food (== weight) to deal with when traveling overland.

I dunno, I do generally take it when I'm going caster, but it seems to pop in the most unhelpful places. I've had it pop when I'm already fighting pretty heavy hitters more often than the low chance would suggest. Of course, there was that one time I converted my clone with Proselytize :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Lprsti99 posted:

Of course, there was that one time I converted my clone with Proselytize :v:

:stare: So, next character is going to be a Proselytizing Esper with Temporal Fugue and Evil Twin.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Angry Diplomat posted:

:stare: So, next character is going to be a Proselytizing Esper with Temporal Fugue and Evil Twin.

Summons from allies are not necessarily allies. Learned that the hard way when I ended up with temporal fugue + burgeoning one time.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Angry Diplomat posted:

I kind of want a "Clones of You" faction, but there are problems unifying all clones into a single faction, since Evil Twins need to behave differently than Fugue clones.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hand of luke posted:

I kind of want a "Clones of You" faction, but there are problems unifying all clones into a single faction, since Evil Twins need to behave differently than Fugue clones.

Easy, he's separate until you convince him otherwise.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

hand of luke posted:

That sounds like it would be incredible when you accidentally infuriate your own clone with your coquetry and end up summoning an outraged hit squad every time you use Fugue.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hand of luke posted:

Could you just have a "You" faction and an "Evil You" faction?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

How do you know *you're* not the evil one, though?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

That's a given, but he's the one picking the fights :v:

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Yeah, I thought about splitting it into something like "Time clones" and "Alternate dimension clones," but that seemed less cool.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hand of luke posted:

Yeah, I thought about splitting it into something like "Time clones" and "Alternate dimension clones," but that seemed less cool.
I suggest calling the friendly faction just "You". You're you, and so is that guy you summoned with time powers over there.

EDIT: And possibly other means if you introduce them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well I made it to the "go to golgotha" quest. I'm...scared. Nothing can really touch me but uhh, stories from the thread make me feel like I'm going to die.

I could also try this "indrix" quest but I don't know where the goatfolk village is either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Well I made it to the "go to golgotha" quest. I'm...scared. Nothing can really touch me but uhh, stories from the thread make me feel like I'm going to die.

I could also try this "indrix" quest but I don't know where the goatfolk village is either.

Head north from Kyakukya (did I spell that right?) one screen and then follow the river (start out going east). It's a bit of a hike.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IIRC the Indrix quest is essentially postgame content where you follow the river near Cat-on-Keyboard-Town til you stumble upon it and fight a high level boss. Golgotha isn't too bad, just don't go there til level 10-15 and take some yuckwheat stems and honey just in case. A flamethrower and a rubbergum injector will make it pretty trivial.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unormal posted:

If you are, then the opposite-alignment you is evil from your perspective anyway! So it still works.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

IIRC the Indrix quest is essentially postgame content where you follow the river near Cat-on-Keyboard-Town til you stumble upon it and fight a high level boss. Golgotha isn't too bad, just don't go there til level 10-15 and take some yuckwheat stems and honey just in case. A flamethrower and a rubbergum injector will make it pretty trivial.

I died without using my rubbergum injector, oh well. I got to the cloaca, but yeah, it wasn't so bad.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I died without using my rubbergum injector, oh well. I got to the cloaca, but yeah, it wasn't so bad.

The boss there is a jerk and the rubbergum injector is mostly for the fall. The biggest problem is that you can catch a nasty disease that renders you unable to talk if it goes on long enough. Yuckwheat and honey help if you catch it early, otherwise you need to read one of the books from the Mayor of the animal town to find out the cure.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

The boss there is a jerk and the rubbergum injector is mostly for the fall. The biggest problem is that you can catch a nasty disease that renders you unable to talk if it goes on long enough. Yuckwheat and honey help if you catch it early, otherwise you need to read one of the books from the Mayor of the animal town to find out the cure.

I had the book but the ingredients sounded hard to come by. I don't think I found any honey or yuckwheat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I had the book but the ingredients sounded hard to come by. I don't think I found any honey or yuckwheat.

The shops stock honey and yuckwheat somewhat frequently and trash mobs rarely carry it. I wouldn't try Golgotha without either them or a flamethrower, just for safety.

I don't know where you find the salt for the flaming ick but canteens are common and starapple farmers are everywhere and sell cider. Maybe the salt dudes are pure salt idk. Ubernostrum is guaranteed for doing the Redrock quest but pretty rare and one of the reasons one might want to take Tinkering II, assuming you can find a source for the bits.

e: looks like you get salt by pouring a bit of water on to the sand dunes, getting you a 1:1 salt solution that you can add more water and cider to. You will end up with a canteen of "brackish spiced cider", which you can then light on fire as you see fit. Maybe pouring it on the ground anywhere is enough? You get dilute salt just dumping some on the ground in Joppa.

ee:yep, screw yuckwheat and honey, the flaming ick is trivial to make so just bring some with you. You only need a dram to cure the disease and you make at least 5 in the process.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 27, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I gave myself glotrot again and let my tongue rot away but it doesn't seem to affect anything besides bleeding whenever I eat or drink. Bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

"You" and "Them"