Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Imperfect posted:

So I signed up for BookBub, to see what it's like as an interested reader, and I'm surprised this works so well to drive customers. I get like 5 books per day, so I'm usually just deleting the email without reading.

Am I just doing it wrong, or is it just not for me, or what? I guess there are readers who rip through a book or two a do and this is just their jam?

I think one nice thing about is is say I really like Celia Kyle's books and they're always priced 5.99 or higher. SSuddenly, Bookbub sends an email saying that you can get her book today only for 99 cents. Whether I intend to read it today or not, I buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I acidentally throw the tiny rubber bouncy ball into my own team's goal. The look on Dan's face breaks my heart. The rules change every 3 minutes and no one tells me. Everyone else is a hive mind. Just as I think I might be catching on, the buzzer rings.

Britney brags to us about figuring out a way to never bathe. Britney says to smell Britney's armpit to prove it doesn't make Britney stink. I smell Britney's armpit. Britney's armpit has no odor whatsoever, not even the baseline that makes you human. It's less scented then a window on a space shuttle.

I need to change out of these workout clothes.

A Major Fucker fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 26, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can we add a ban on 'stream of thoughts' book talk as well? It seems to attracts bad types, they kinda ramble on and on and feed the pig the devil himself with the two horny sausages.

And then it all goes to hell. Which smells like pu-erh. But I digress. Tamam shud.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

This thread has taken a very strange turn.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone have experience resolving KDP Tax Interview problems? I just formed a company to handle my publishing, and I input the new information into KDP. It comes back as invalid (not matching what the IRS has). I called the IRS, confirmed my information. I'm completely at a loss on how to proceed.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Anyone have experience resolving KDP Tax Interview problems? I just formed a company to handle my publishing, and I input the new information into KDP. It comes back as invalid (not matching what the IRS has). I called the IRS, confirmed my information. I'm completely at a loss on how to proceed.

I'm not sure where you're from, so this may not apply. But they did that to me too, and the only way I found to resolve it was to use my British tax ID, and totally bypass the data the IRS had issued me. That allowed me to claim tax treaty status without question, but other countries may not get that benefit.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It takes some time (2 weeks?) after the formation of a company before KDP will accept the information as correct. If you've already passed that frame of time then I don't know.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

EngineerSean posted:

It takes some time (2 weeks?) after the formation of a company before KDP will accept the information as correct. If you've already passed that frame of time then I don't know.

Oh. Welp. Guess I'll twiddle my thumbs for another ten days and give it a try. Thanks Sean.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I mean you could try calling them too if you're waiting to publish books or something. I'm sure you can work with a person if it's truly time sensitive.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

EngineerSean posted:

I mean you could try calling them too if you're waiting to publish books or something. I'm sure you can work with a person if it's truly time sensitive.

I don't think plebs like me get a phone number to call. No biggie.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How long should blurbs be for short stories?

I know my story probably won't sell, but I'm going to give it all my love anyway.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The man who knows everything speaks from the back of a van, morose and prickly. He mumbles into a bullhorn: she has to die. He doesn't want to kill her himself, so he tells every passerby how. I know one of them will eventually.

I realize there's something I'm more afraid of than water or heights. "She's too young to die," I tell him. He doesn't care. "She's too guiltless to die," I tell him. He doesn't care. "She's too beautiful to die," I tell him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No Gravitas posted:

How long should blurbs be for short stories?

I know my story probably won't sell, but I'm going to give it all my love anyway.
Last research I did said 100-250.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

A Major Fucker posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thank you.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Last research I did said 100-250.

Thank you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As a starting point, look up the SCOPE structure for blurbs. I've still got a lot to learn but it's given me a really helpful start in being able to write them.

Imperfect
Sep 24, 2009
Can you give a bit of a hint on how to better Google that? "Scope structure for book blurbs" and all variants thereof give nothing useful.

"Scope" is too common a word in this context. Too bad they didn't name it something else. =/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

http://writerswrite.co.za/how-to-write-an-irresistible-book-blurb-in-five-easy-steps

quote:

Your blurb will be an important part of your marketing. It is vital to get a reader’s attention. To write a good blurb, you have to make it short. Cut out sub-plots. Add tension to make it dramatic. Try not to mention more than two character’s names, and promise your audience a read they won’t forget.

I’ve come up with this easy acronym to help you create a blurb. I call it SCOPE. Follow these five pointers and see if it works for you.
  • Setting
  • Conflict
  • Objective
  • Possible Solution
  • Emotional Promise
  • Setting: All stories involve characters who are in a certain setting at a certain time.
  • Conflict: A good story places these characters in a situation where they have to act or react. A good way to start this part of your blurb is with the words: But, However, Until
  • Objective: What do your characters need to do?
  • Possible Solution: Offer the reader hope here. Show them how the protagonist can overcome. Give them a reason to pick up the book. Use the word ‘If’ here.
  • Emotional Promise: Tell them how the book will make them feel. This sets the mood for your reader.
Like I said, it's not the greatest, but it's a reasonable starting point.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 28, 2015

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
FYI, if anyone is in need of editing services, I still have openings for February. All genres welcome.

If interested, send an email to booksidemanner@gmail.com (I don't have PM set up for SA).

Imperfect
Sep 24, 2009
Gracias. Bookmarked for future reference.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

I'd say add it to the OP, it's not perfect but it kind of got me out of a rut today, though I do laugh at the phrase ~Emotional Promise~

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Whoa, Amazon now has an option to pay for advertising. It's in the KDP section where you'd normally choose between free time or countdown. You bid for cost per click, minimum spend is $100. Some of my stuff is eligible and some isn't (probably counts as a promo so you can't do it if you've done free days during the enrollment period).

Edit: Reading now that I guess this has been in split testing for a few months now. I guess I'm in the test group now.

Jalumibnkrayal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 29, 2015

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Erotica isn't allowed, any romance with a man's chest in it isn't allowed, and the CPC is way too high to be cost effective. It's pretty much a non-thing.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

EngineerSean posted:

Erotica isn't allowed, any romance with a man's chest in it isn't allowed, and the CPC is way too high to be cost effective. It's pretty much a non-thing.

...chestless men. How do they breathe?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
haha sorry, I meant bare man chest on the cover

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

haha sorry, I meant bare man chest on the cover

Seriously? Of all the things they could ban, they ban like the entirety of Scottish Romance?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Losing this source of advertisement is No Big Deal, trust me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

Seriously? Of all the things they could ban, they ban like the entirety of Scottish Romance?
Cheer up, I'm sure objectified scotsman Thursday will continue unharmed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

Losing this source of advertisement is No Big Deal, trust me.

Oh I get that - I've heard the stories from people who had access early. The rule just makes no sense in general, efficacy or not. That's like 90% of romance novels banned right there, plus some suspense and thrillers, basically all the scots and shifters, and even some diet books. :lol:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I figured this is the best place to ask - what about self book publishing for non-commercial usage - an actual physical copy. I'm making a book as a gift of various collected writings for someone.

At the moment, Lulu seems to be fitting my needs in terms of formatting, price, and design. Although the cover wizard is pretty bad. I saw in the OP about book cover services but most of them seem to be for commercial usage, and even finding one for a Lulu type site can range from $150-200.

Are there better sites out there with better cover tools? Or should I just try and find some freelance designers that can work within my budget?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You should be making your own cover using Lulu's templates outside of their site, then uploading it directly. If you do that, it can make pretty decent hardcovers.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sundae posted:

Oh I get that - I've heard the stories from people who had access early. The rule just makes no sense in general, efficacy or not. That's like 90% of romance novels banned right there, plus some suspense and thrillers, basically all the scots and shifters, and even some diet books. :lol:

Not to mention Conan the Barbarian style stuff, and so much more.

Is there a stated reason for this rule? Could it we a drool check to get rid of people who don't read the rules? It just seems so arbitrary.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It's so that the 50 year old housewife browsing Amazon doesn't have to clutch her pearls when she sees a topless dude. That's really all it is.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Lol if you think that Amazon puts any of its "rules" on paper.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
FWIW my ad got accepted, man titties and all. I do not expect it to perform but I felt I needed to give it the old college try. What happens if the campaign ends and I didn't use my whole budget?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Good news for those who advertise with BookBub. They've now added Canada to their mailing list. I ran an ad when they added UK and it got me my best UK sales ever, so I'm pleased about this. Am hoping to get a Bub ad for my contemporary in March.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
BookBub looks hella expensive, especially for genres like mystery and contemporary romance. I'm a long way off from being on their radar, but what kind of ROI have you guys seen on their promotions? Based on everyone's testimonials here it seems like it's definitely worth it, I'm just curious.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm going into my first BookBub next weekend, so I'm not entirely sure. But I can tell you that bookgorilla/KND was a loss on direct sales, harder to determine if indirect/series sales went up. I know on my standalone novel it was a loser.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Blue Scream posted:

BookBub looks hella expensive, especially for genres like mystery and contemporary romance. I'm a long way off from being on their radar, but what kind of ROI have you guys seen on their promotions? Based on everyone's testimonials here it seems like it's definitely worth it, I'm just curious.

I've used BookBub twice now, both as free promos. They brought in 36,000 and 68,000 free downloads respectively and slammed me to #1 in the Kindle Store for free books. In the week after the first promo, the trickle-through sales into its sequel totaled over $3,000. The sequel went from dead in the water to a $9,000 month following the bomb. For reference's sake, I released the sequel at the beginning of the month, watched it languish in the 30,000 rank range, and then it flew down to about #150-250 in the store where it stayed for the entire rest of the month after the bomb. Very useful.

The second one was for a boxed set, which earned me approximately another $8,000 that month. I honestly consider that one a bit of a flop given the hopes I had for it, but I shouldn't complain given the numbers.

They have not accepted any of my later books for promotion, unfortunately.

I don't think that I know anyone who has failed to earn back cost + more on a paid $0.99 promo through them.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've run several 99-cent promos with them, and have always made my money back and a good profit as well. The "tail" of increased sales lasts a good few weeks, and I see increased sales of my non-promo books even at full price. It is a significant cash outlay, but well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
Anyone here publish short stories? What's the general word length and how are they priced?