Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Oh god guys, it's happening, i'm considering updating my world of tanks.

SOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

This is the World of Boats thread now :getout:

That'd be fine if people were actually talking about the game or whatever*. Instead they're arguing about things that make Deadliest Warrior look like a documentary.

*Fake edit: Actually it would still be stupid, but less so.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is there any reason to keep those free premium lights I've accumulated?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

unlimited shrimp posted:

Never sell premium tanks.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Some of them are effectively irreplaceable to boot as the automated "I want it back" system WG implemented for :airquote: accidental :airquote: premium selling worked for a while then broke.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Alright, a better question then:

Is there any reason not to sell them other than they're irreplaceable?
Are there ever any events or missions or whatever where a Tier II premium tank is requisite?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

unlimited shrimp posted:

They're all pretty garbage. I sold all mine for the slots and the credits. Keep them for bragging rights and/or in the hope of a massive buff to make them fun to play.

e: Most missions are tier 4 and up. The free lights don't count.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 27, 2015

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

They're all pretty garbage. I sold all mine for the slots and the credits. Keep them for bragging rights and/or in the hope of a massive buff to make them fun to play.

Tetrarch is amazing, and T7 CC is pretty good as well. Both are keepers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't get the Tetrarch love. It has more pen than anything really needs at that tier, and it pays for that with pretty poo poo fire rate and the soft stats aren't that great either. It's as blind as a bat and anything with an autocannon will shred it in two heartbeats. It's decently fast I guess, but the maneuverability is so-so.

I'm not saying it's a bad tank, mind you. It's just not that special either, imo.

Also the T7 CC is hilarious, don't sell it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Nordick posted:

I don't get the Tetrarch love. It has more pen than anything really needs at that tier, and it pays for that with pretty poo poo fire rate and the soft stats aren't that great either. It's as blind as a bat and anything with an autocannon will shred it in two heartbeats. It's decently fast I guess, but the maneuverability is so-so.

I'm not saying it's a bad tank, mind you. It's just not that special either, imo.

Also the T7 CC is hilarious, don't sell it.

It came out when the Minimaus still terrorized tier 2 and the T18's front weakspot wasn't widely known. At that point, it could go through the two best seal clubbers at low tiers.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Winter mission trip report:

I decided to do the Mammoth to train an American heavy crew. There is also the Arctic Fox which is a Soviet light and the Polar Bear which is a French TD.

You need 500 damage for the "Winter Battles" mission. If you do Winter Battles 25 times, you get 25,000 crew xp, 25,000 xp and 250,000 silver credits. 500 damage is laughably easy.

The bonus mission for the Mammoth requires 2500 damage and the reward is 1,500 crew xp, 1,500 xp, and 10,000 silver credits. The TD mission requires 3,300 damage and the light mission requires 1,700 damage. These missions are fairly easy if you give a minimal amount of effort.

I just finished "Winter Battles" for the 25th time. It probably took me around 2 hours. I completed the heavy mission 20 times in these 25 battles. I now have an American heavy crew with 3 crew members 88% through their first skill and one crew member at 96%.

It took me a few battles to figure it out, but for the next 25 I expect to hit the heavyweight mission damage threshold almost every time. It's pretty easy. The Mammoth has 5000 hp, so you only need to do half your hp in damage.

There seems to be no reason to win these battles. The stats don't count, you get no xp or silver other than the missions, and wins don't affect the missions.

The timer on battles is 7 minutes. A good result is to get out with 4 minutes remaining on the clock. To facilitate this, I've been pasting this at the beginning of battles: "Note: These games do not count towards stats. You get nothing for winning. Do your mission damage and get out so we can all start another one." I realize it sounds cunty, but some of these idiots try to cap for no reason or hide in the corners.

There is also a Platoon mission. For the platoon you need to have 5 people. The platoon mission requires a total of 15,000 damage across the platoon, so an average of 3000 each. The reward is 2,500 crew xp, 2,500 xp, and 20,000 silver credits. Platoons don't mix into random battles. You face other platoons. We tried this earlier with a bunch of Pansies and came up against a bunch of try-hards and got our asses handed to us and didn't get the platoon mission reward.

Also there is a "healing" round that costs 400 silver each so if you have tons of extra silver you can run around and play cleric but I really don't see the point.

tl;dr: it's a really quick way to train crews and you get some silver too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

VietCampo posted:

Oh god guys, it's happening, i'm considering updating my world of tanks.

SOS

Stay away. The playerbase is VASTLY worse than you remember due to the missions. Winter mode is tons of fun though if you don't care about winning.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Stay away. The playerbase is VASTLY worse than you remember due to the missions. Winter mode is tons of fun though if you don't care about winning.

How could it be worse than I remember? It doesn't get worse than I remember it.

Boats looks fun, though. I'll be back when boats goes live, but for tanks I'm just gonna wait to see how Armored Warfare turns out.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I did the winter thing 25 times so earned some tonkbux to buy a T-44, but only had enough free exp to get the tracks so my first 2 battles in it were interesting, as in I bounced about 6 shots for every pen. Should I just get the 122mm gun or grind extra exp to unlock the 100mm guns cause I'm not going to keep it since I want a T-54 / Obj 140.
Might have to do the winter thing another 100 times to shoot glod out of it for now. Or buy some loving gold and convert that to free exp.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Given that the largest Soviet Navy battleship they could realistically put in the game would be either a 1915 lend-lease British Royal Sovereign-class or a war-spoils-claimed Italian battleship, they'll really have to go to the napkins on that one. This would be a good candidate for a T9/T10: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronshtadt-class_battlecruiser

Cruisers, on the other hand...the Sverdlovs were used into the 80s.
This will be probably be the tier 10 for the battlecruiser line, main armament being either 5 406mm or 2 457mm.

e: The Project 24 class battleship that LC mentioned earlier.

T___A fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 27, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thank you for whomever suggested typing, "Rommel was a war criminal" in chat. It's like magic.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

MoraleHazard posted:

Thank you for whomever suggested typing, "Rommel was a war criminal" in chat. It's like magic.

i want my old IGN back :smith:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 100mm LB-1 carries over to the T-54, so you'll have to grind through it anyway. Don't bother unlocking the 122mm gun unless you, like me, insist on eliting every tank you play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Warbadger posted:

How could it be worse than I remember? It doesn't get worse than I remember it.

So, you know how pubbies do not actually want to win, and will sabotage you in order for your team to not win? Cool. Now imagine that people also have some hidden variable, a mission they need to accomplish. It could range from stealing kills, to CAPFASTing, to useless counterbattery, to - no poo poo - suicide scouting. All thirty players may or may not be on a mission that sets them at odds with helping their team win.

Winter mode is fun if you don't care about your team somehow being unable to left click when they pen every single shot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Finally. Yamato footage from a dude who knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MiLYz95MBI

And I'm basically done here.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Hellsau posted:

So, you know how pubbies do not actually want to win, and will sabotage you in order for your team to not win? Cool. Now imagine that people also have some hidden variable, a mission they need to accomplish. It could range from stealing kills, to CAPFASTing, to useless counterbattery, to - no poo poo - suicide scouting. All thirty players may or may not be on a mission that sets them at odds with helping their team win.

This is remarkably accurate

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Seriously one of the missions as a heavy is to deal 1000 damage and win by capping. If you want to win you should almost never cap (maybe one in two hundred games someone on one of the teams should try to cap). That mission is just blatantly antiteam.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While a lot of German ships were terrible i think the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau did pretty good for themselves throughout the whole war.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
fastcap never fails

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The counter to an enemy fastcap is to cap theirs first.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The worst part about that cap mission is that you can't just capfast once and get it over with, you have to find just enough opposition tanks that you can do 1k damage to them, but not enough of them to overwhelm and kill you on the way or while capping. Which means everyone is trying to do the mission over, and over, and over again.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Seriously one of the missions as a heavy is to deal 1000 damage and win by capping. If you want to win you should almost never cap (maybe one in two hundred games someone on one of the teams should try to cap). That mission is just blatantly antiteam.

I played a few rounds on the weekend and the things being done were weird, even for this game. Now I know why.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I just know that someday I'll get a battle where some heavy on my team begs me to let him cap instead of killing the last enemy arty, and I'll say ok cool do it, and just as the timer hits 99 I will kill it. Because gently caress missions.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The 100mm LB-1 carries over to the T-54, so you'll have to grind through it anyway. Don't bother unlocking the 122mm gun unless you, like me, insist on eliting every tank you play.

Ah yeah, I should have thought of that, thanks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Finally. Yamato footage from a dude who knows what he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MiLYz95MBI

And I'm basically done here.

Eh, not quite:

"World of Warships Beta ..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by SiriusStarNetwork.

:saddowns:

What the gently caress is "SiriusStarNetwork"?

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

NotWearingPants posted:

The timer on battles is 7 minutes. A good result is to get out with 4 minutes remaining on the clock. To facilitate this, I've been pasting this at the beginning of battles: "Note: These games do not count towards stats. You get nothing for winning. Do your mission damage and get out so we can all start another one." I realize it sounds cunty, but some of these idiots try to cap for no reason or hide in the corners.

I dunno, watching our last living platoon member snatch a win by the skin of his teeth as one shitler drowned accidentally and the other drove in front of his pixel T-50-2 was pretty great.

Here's the correct way to do these missions: get 5 goons in a platoon, get in TS, get drunk/high/both, and just not give a gently caress.

E: since noboby's answered this question, do not loving use the D-25 on the T-44. Unlock the LB-1 and use that. Seriously, it makes your grind a lot shorter and your teammates will not want you to die quite so badly. Also, it'll help you get a feel for the gun when it comes to using it on the T-54 (which you want to use the D-10T2S on).

E2: reading is hard.

E3:

Fat Jesus posted:

I just know that someday I'll get a battle where some heavy on my team begs me to let him cap instead of killing the last enemy arty, and I'll say ok cool do it, and just as the timer hits 99 I will kill it. Because gently caress missions.

I have been doing this non-stop. God's work, IMO.

rossmum fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 27, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Axetrain posted:

Making the Bismarck a premium ship would be a good move financially while just having the Tirpitz be the regular tier whatever. You just know all those wehraboos would be more than willing to fork over for a genuine Kriegsmarine Legendtm.

You don't unlock specific ships in WoWS, you unlock classes - just like WoT or WoWP. The Bismarck was the first of the Bismarck class, so it's all but certain your're going to be unlocking Bismarcks in WoWS. Unlocking classes would also let you pick a shipname - so you could have "KMS Dongs, a Bismarck class battleship" (I don't like Germany used ship prefixes, but pfft, I like them). If anything it'll be the Tirpitz that'll be a premium, being a famous named ship within an existing class - kind like Fury.

For the guy wondering about the E-100 stock gun: It's workable I suppose, especially if you shoot a lot of gold (which is also true for the 150mm!), although it does mean you point your flat turret face at people more often due to the higher RoF.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Alright, a better question then:

Is there any reason not to sell them other than they're irreplaceable?
Are there ever any events or missions or whatever where a Tier II premium tank is requisite?

Low tier Prems have a big XP multiplier now, plus the new prem crew XP multiplier, so if you are training a new light crew you can cycle them through your prems for doubles + prem XP boosts for extra fast training.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 27, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What you mean you unlock classes. You unlock specific vehicles. I wish you unlocked classes, that way i could've avoided the Lee to get the Sherman.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
:confused: There's not one specific tank in history called the Tiger which you play as - you play as Tiger class tanks. "Lees" and "Shermans" are also classes of tanks. The Fury is unusual as it is a single specific tank that multiple people have copies of.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I think you guys are overthinking WoT a bit.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For botes kinda both true and not true. As far as i could see. If there was a great amount of that class built. Than they will use the class hull
But if one made it to/near the end of the war with an up to date retrofit or modification. Than they will use that ship and not the class

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stevefin posted:

For botes kinda both true and not true. As far as i could see. If there was a great amount of that class built. Than they will use the class hull
But if one made it to/near the end of the war with an up to date retrofit or modification. Than they will use that ship and not the class

All ships are of a class, even if there is ultimately only a single ship of that class. It's the way they are described - USS Wasp was a one of a kind but is a Wasp-class carrier, for example. This is the way things are for ships.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
Also the Bismarck and the Tirpitz were the only two ships of the Bismarck class, so having one be the standard and one as a premium would kinda maybe make sense I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
shut up about boats shut up about boats shut up about boats

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newthread.php?action=newthread&forumid=44

also, the missions has lead to mass braindeath on the servers. teams are consistantly poo poo. always 3+ arty (guess who theyre focusing), always 3+ lights (who suicide within 2 mins) and heavies who only want to cap. last night had so many uncarriable teams it was sad