Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the infested mission where you have to raze all the buildings in wings of liberty owns so hard.

you can play it defensive at night when zerg are actively attacking and then go out in the day cautiously or just go all out berserker and own everything before it can own you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

the infested mission where you have to raze all the buildings in wings of liberty owns so hard.

you can play it defensive at night when zerg are actively attacking and then go out in the day cautiously or just go all out berserker and own everything before it can own you

there is a mod based on that mission that you can play co-op with others, where you have to survive the zerg getting worse and worse and more advanced units and stuff. it is a ton of fun to mess around in with a friend. there are also a lot of custom units in it, the last time i played you could make thor-sized marines that punched things

gameplay-wise blizz did an amazing job with SC2 and it is their Good Game. i wish they put even half the effort into diablo but that's not a constant stream of money for them

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
marines in sc2 might be my favorite basic unit in any game, they're so, so good

roaches are the best ever in the Slightly Above Basic Unit tier

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in the next expansion, according to the pre-alpha custom map stuff they've been doing you're gonna start skirmishes with twice the workers, so the minute or two of sitting around at the beginning of matches will be skipped

each point will also have less resources/gas to mine to encourage expansion. i am excited. i also main protoss so the campaign's gonna own

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
but having resources means instant death balls

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

but having resources means instant death balls

it also means instant defense, and the ~timings~ for everything will be messed up since you have access to everything a lot quicker

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Imagine playing on Asia servers with the new changes

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*old timey snake oil salesman voice* step right up, step right up. Free turds here. Free turds straight out of my rear end. Get you genuine fat guy turds right here, fresh out the rear end.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*old timey snake oil salesman voice* step right up, step right up. Free turds here. Free turds straight out of my rear end. Get you genuine fat guy turds right here, fresh out the rear end.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Blizzard hires Nigel West Dickens

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Bobnumerotres posted:

it also means instant defense, and the ~timings~ for everything will be messed up since you have access to everything a lot quicker

Look if I don't have 7 roaches by 4:15 i don't know what I'll do and having that before then would kill me, irl.

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Knuc U Kinte posted:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Show some manners you all! This game is the dopest!!!!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Starcraft 2 is good but it's too stressful to try to get better at it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

oh yeah gently caress the ladder and poo poo. just play unranked and see how far you can get with dumb strategies. if you're not going to make the game your full-time job there's no point to being competitive

i watch pro SC2 and it blows my mind how fast these people are, 100+ actions per minute micro-managing battles on three different fronts whilst continuously producing units, workers, and defenses. i watch my replays and anytime i get into a scuffle my production and economy just goes straight down a shitter while im busy with the fight

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

oh yeah gently caress the ladder and poo poo. just play unranked and see how far you can get with dumb strategies. if you're not going to make the game your full-time job there's no point to being competitive

i watch pro SC2 and it blows my mind how fast these people are, 100+ actions per minute micro-managing battles on three different fronts whilst continuously producing units, workers, and defenses. i watch my replays and anytime i get into a scuffle my production and economy just goes straight down a shitter while im busy with the fight

Pros in BW were routinely 300-350+, not sure what it was in SC2 but I assume a bit lower.

Near release, I was Diamond with my blistering-fast 60 apm :unsmith:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Yesssss.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The story is hot garbage though. Kerrigan and Raynor are teenage lover idiots and there's one level in HotS where Kerrigan gets into a DBZ-style kamehameha blast battle with a psychic dead alien.
This made me mad because I couldn't use summon banelings and the replacement hero guy was comparatively weak.

I will also agree that the SC2 campaigns are fun though, even if the story varies between serviceable, mediocre and bad.

Lemming posted:

This is also true, at least for competitive multiplayer. Fortunately the matchmaking is usually pretty good so you can just throw out some zerg rushes and get somewhere rather than being stomped by the pros all day.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

Pros in BW were routinely 300-350+, not sure what it was in SC2 but I assume a bit lower.

Near release, I was Diamond with my blistering-fast 60 apm :unsmith:

oh yeah, during certain moments it'll go up to 250+ which is crazy

IMO they should remove all the APM tax poo poo like needing to manually inject hives for larva, games like COH1 are great because you're not losing hair keeping track of six different timers in your head, it felt natural and it was always very clear what was going on. in SC2 forgetting to do something for a couple of seconds can be your downfall and they need to get away from that

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

oh yeah, during certain moments it'll go up to 250+ which is crazy

IMO they should remove all the APM tax poo poo like needing to manually inject hives for larva, games like COH1 are great because you're not losing hair keeping track of six different timers in your head, it felt natural and it was always very clear what was going on. in SC2 forgetting to do something for a couple of seconds can be your downfall and they need to get away from that

I feel slightly conflicted about this in the sense that I only think the Zerg mechanic is really bad since you can't make up for lost time, and also because I think there's a place for games like Starcraft that are very technically demanding. However, I am incredibly bad at all the micro and stuff and have no motivation to get better at it, so it's not the most fun game for me to play. I wonder if Grey Goo is any good, prolly not.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

I feel slightly conflicted about this in the sense that I only think the Zerg mechanic is really bad since you can't make up for lost time, and also because I think there's a place for games like Starcraft that are very technically demanding. However, I am incredibly bad at all the micro and stuff and have no motivation to get better at it, so it's not the most fun game for me to play. I wonder if Grey Goo is any good, prolly not.

my casual rts friend told me that it felt like they tried way too many things in the same game and some parts of it arent as well thought out. however it's a cool blend of c&c and supreme commander

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i hear grey goo is very good, and is pretty much the opposite of starcraft. there's just one resource that you get from building resource collectors at certain points in the map, after that it's just "small fries are cheap and quick, powerful units are expensive and take a long while to build" and that's it. it's not a big headache of remembering 30 different things you need to keep track of

i just want to nuke stuff and cook up funny strategies, sc2 makes this very difficult with a ton of features that are literally designed to be APM barriers

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Grey goo is ugly and petroglyph doesn't make very good games.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Pewdiepie posted:

Empire at War. Universe at War was also kinda good.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Autocasting with a queen on a hive would be really good if it cost significantly more so you've pretty much given away that queen's ability to spread creep tumors.

Maybe make it an upgrade like Overlord -> Overseer?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

I think the goo race looks kind of cool.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hai guys

Want to watch a protoss stumble around ladder?

http://www.twitch.tv/haterhaver

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
do proxy gateway, enjoy wins

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hai guys

Want to watch a protoss stumble around ladder?

http://www.twitch.tv/haterhaver

Yes I do, thank you.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Glad I can help. We're still going strong. Division Rank 2 Now!

We're listening to some chill best of the 90's

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Did that guy just rage at you?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't think so. People have been really polite today. Normally when I cheese I get called ethnic slurs.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
starcraft 2 cheesing is cool because it fails a lot if you don't do it exactly right and then you have to recover before the other person takes advantage of it and that's neat to watch

there's a series called will cheese fail that is good because of how weird stuff can go when the game is thrown off balance by something like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOvGCrilWik&t=206s
this is a probe v. scv fight that should not have happened

lagtv calls incredibly stupid people as being in Wood League but i cant remember any of their other really good videos, there was one scrubby match that ended with 16 ultralisks hatching at once because both people had too many resources and too little combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3ZrXOrz_0
this is the worst cheese in sc history i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EuCA34GMg and one last one

this dude proxy hatcheried his opponent's base but did it wrong and got all his units stuck and found out there's a limit to units in a small area so there was a hatchery with a billion dudes behind it flailin around

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I like Bronze League Heroes better. This is the best cannon rush failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJqX77OuXgY

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am conflicted

I want to watch bronze league heroes but I do not want to listen to the announcer

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

i wish there was unranked back when I played in early wings so I didn't constantly do bw style mech against protoss and never got booted from diamond because ???

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
so like a week after I tried starcraft 2 I have finally figured out how to browse for custom games

this UI is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Kylra posted:

I like Bronze League Heroes better. This is the best cannon rush failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJqX77OuXgY

this is my favorite type of match in an rts. i would rather see esports things w/ people who have no idea wtf they're doing who are just improvising hard

• Locked thread