Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Hello again everybody, and welcome to an LP of the third game in the Quintet series:

Illusion of Gaia was released in 1993, 94, and 95 in Japan, the US, and Europe respectively. It’s unusual in that it apparently sold more copies in the US than in Japan, and is pretty well regarded for a great gameplay and an excellent soundtrack. Illusion of Gaia is an action RPG that in some ways is similar to Zelda, and is loosely related to SoulBlazer, Terranigma, and possibly ActRaiser. We’ll talk more about that when connections become apparent.

As far as RPGs go Illusion of Gaia is something of an odd bird, since you don’t have an experience system, equipment, or currency. Enemies don’t respawn unless you die or completely leave an area, and you can actually gain extra lives. This will actually make more sense as we progress, but in the meantime we’ll talk about art and the intro. Also, this one’s a bit of a slow starter so it might take a bit to get to the action.

The Japanese box art is notable in that it pretty much paints an almost exact image of what we’re going to be doing. The US box art is pretty much identical to the title screen…

But in Europe the game was released as “Illusion of Time.” The actual title is Gaia Gensouki, which can be translated as “Records of the Illusion of Gaia.” For the next part, you might want to have this playing:

Intro Music: Illusion of Gaia

The timing of the game is a bit ambiguous. The Age of Discovery is an historical period that stretches from the end of the 15th century to the 18th, which means there’s a lot of time to cover.

The images here represent Egypt and Easter Island, which wasn’t even discovered by Europeans until 1722.

Stonehenge is a thing, but that kind of looks like the Mirage Tower from Final Fantasy.

I promise that despite this being a crystal skull, there will be no Shia LaBeouf. No Harrison Ford, either, but that’s still a net gain.

I hope you all appreciate that image of Angkor Wat, which is detailed enough that it’s about half again as large as other images. If you can’t quite read it, the text says:

“People who entered the ruins, searching for wealth, went in and were never seen again.”

They probably should have known better.

And with that, we pass into the start screen, with some new music:

Start a Journey

I love the fact that the new game option is starting a journey while the save function is a trip diary. As for that coastline.. well, if anybody recognizes it, I’d be interested to hear. Next up: We begin our journey.

Table of Contents
Update The First: In Which Will Forgets Something
Update the Second: In Which Will Picks a Card, any Card
Update the Third: In Which Will Refrains From Strangling a Princess
Update the Fourth: In Which Will Cleans Out the Basement
Update the Fifth: In Which Will and The Princess Kidnap Each Other
Update the Sixth: In Which Will Violates a Graveyard and Several Tombs
Update the Seventh: In Which Will Goes it Alone
Update the Eighth: In Which Will Discovers the Lost Ship
Update the Ninth: In Which Will is King for Less Than a Day
Update the Tenth: In Which Will Commits Fish Murder
Update the Eleventh: In Which Will Explores on his Own
Update the Twelfth: In Which Will Huffs, and Puffs, and Blows a Door Down
Update the Thirteenth: In Which Will's Hair Finds a Secret
Update the Fourteenth: In Which Will Trips the Light Fantastic
Update the Fifteenth: In Which Will Defies Gravity
Update the Sixteenth: In Which Will Takes a Leap of Faith
Update the Seventeenth: In Which Will Purifies the Spring
Update the Eighteenth: In Which Will Slides Into Home
Update the Nineteenth: In Which Will Defuses the Situation
Update the Twentieth: In Which Will Does the Mushroom Samba
Update the Twenty-First: In Which Will Appreciates Art
Update the Twenty-Second: In Which Will Plays a Game
Update the Twenty-Third: In Which Will Has Much to Apologize For
Update the Twenty-Fourth: In Which Will is a Tourist
Update the Twenty-Fifth: In Which Will Channels His Inner Devil
Update the Twenty-Sixth: In Which Will Sees Death
Update the Twenty-Seventh: In Which Will Finds Hidden Depths
Update the Twenty-Eighth: In Which Will Cracks Some Skulls
Update the Twenty-Ninth: In Which Will Attends a Barbecue
Update the Thirtieth: In Which Will Trims the Hedges
Update the Thirty-First: In Which Will Shakes the Earth
Update the Thirty-Second: In Which Will Softens a Heart of Stone
Update the Thirty-Third: In Which Will Pounds the Snake
Update the Thirty-Fourth: In Will Does NOT Walk Like an Egyptian
Update the Thirty-Fifth: In Which Will Starts the Fire
Update the Thirty-Sixth: In Which Will Takes the Plunge Again
Update the Thirty-Seventh: In Which Will Settles Old Scores
Update the Thirty-Eighth: In Which Will is Batman
Update the Thirty-Ninth: In Which Will and Kara Remake the World

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update the First: In Which Will Forgets Something

“My name is Will. A year has passed since I went to the Tower of Babel with my father. My father and his party met with disaster. Somehow I made it back to South Cape…but I still can’t believe my father is gone. I’ll never believe it. When I grow up, I’ll be an explorer and see the world. Somewhere, I will meet my father…”

“You four do your best not to fall behind. Demons have appeared outside of town. If you go very far, you must go with your parents.”

“Umm.. about that…”

“If you don’t hurry home, your mother will think that you were kept after school… heh heh heh.”

“Way to rub it in. Hey, just speaking hypothetically, but…where’s the usual place?”

“Right, right.”

If it’s not clear, conversations are color-coded. Each person in a conversation is assigned their own color, which helps keep them distinct between screens.

“The world shines on brightly through eternity…”

“You just keep doing that. I think I’ll just be going now.”

For the curious, in the Japanese version the teacher is leading Will in prayer. Nintendo of America strikes again. The statue behind him was also originally a cross.

“Okay, that’s new.”

The strange doorway leads to Dark Space, which is an area where we can save, among other things. This first time comes with an explanation…

“Wait, YOU’RE the source of all life?”

“Ya man. Only one with the Dark Power can see this space. You are the chosen one.”

“I just can’t get over the dreads. Seriously, have you always…”

“Not really. Only for about the last couple hundred years. I like to think that he’s going through a phase, because the alternative is that this is a permanent change.”

“Cool, cool. This is just a little bit weird.”

“You get used to it, trust me.”

“In the dark space you can record a travel journal. Stop there before you depart.”

“Yeah, I’ll just be going now.”

“Obviously one time too few.”

“This is probably some kind of sacrilege, but I’m okay with that. Yoink!”

This is the major side quest of the game, collecting Red Jewels. There are a total of 50 in the game, and it’s a bit of a kick in the nuts since you actually can’t revisit most of the early game areas once you leave them. I’ll be getting all of them one way or the other, but it’s an easy thing for a first time player to miss.

Now that we’ve got an item in our inventory, it provides a reason to look into it. Right off the bat you can see that we only have 16 inventory spaces. Items don’t seem to stack, so inventory management is a major issue as we continue to gather more items.

We can also take a look at our stat screen from here. HP is pretty self explanatory, but we’ll have to tackle DP later. Strength and Defense are also pretty self explanatory, referring directly to our capabilities. Right now we’re about as dangerous as a baby duck, but that will change relatively rapidly once the game gets properly started.

Leaving the church school we enter into South Cape proper, getting our third music. While we’re listening, let’s see what the townsfolk have to say.

South Cape - The Town by the Sea

They don’t even pretend to hide behind a fourth wall. I can kind of respect that. Either way, this won’t be important for a little while.

“Didn’t your teacher warn you not to leave town without your parents?”

“Pfft, demons.. who even believes in that kind of nonsense anymore?”

“So, got anything for me?”

“We may live in troubled times, but I won’t sell a weapon to a child.”

“Oh, come on! I’m like sixteen. In some places I’d be working on my second kid by now!”

“And you still won’t have your first weapon. Tough luck, kid.”

Jumping down to the rooftop, we can meet our good buddy Jeweler Gem. He’s got a hunger for Red Jewels, and we’re the only cure. He can show up in disguise, and we can send jewels back to him as we find them. This is pretty important, since we need to keep our inventory clear.

Trading Red Jewels provides a number of benefits, none of them inconsiderable. Even the herb reward is worthwhile, since there are a limited number of herbs in the game. Defense force, life force, ands strength are all essentially free level ups, while Psycho Power and Dark Power are upgrades that can possibly be obtained early if we collect sufficient jewels. As for Gem’s secrets, we’ll tackle those when we get 50 gems.

“I understand why. He hates to see his parents fighting every day.”

“Yeah, it must be rough actually having parents who can fight on a daily basis.”

“On second thought, I’ll retract that statement.”

“Not even going there. You guys just go ahead with your thing.”

“Doesn’t seem that strange to me. There’s falling stars all the time, so they have to get here somehow…”

“It seems like only yesterday…”

“Thanks. So, you don’t mind if I… look around your basement?”

“Um… I guess that’s okay.”

“Don’t know how they got it, but I’m pretty sure that Lance’ll forgive me if I share some of that herb with him.”

“I am pretty fabulous, but you’re the one who’s wearing that scarf. Taking it off is always an option.”

Just to the east of that woman we can actually see a boarded up entrance, which we’ll be visiting.

“This is the biggest house in South Cape. I kind of envy the people born to rich families. Families who did’t have their parents vanish on an expedition a few years ago.”

“It’s nothing. We moved to this town before anyone else. It’s natural that we’d have a bigger house just for that reason.”

“Other people don’t understand, but I think I’ve gotten used to it. I can’t help but think that I’m forgetting something…”

“Outside… outside…”

“Oh dammit, they’re waiting for me at the cave!”

“Ha ha. Excellent! Even if a boy can’t study, he should show a little initiative.”

“Whatever you say, gramps. I’ve got to go see some guys in a literal hole in the wall.”

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 26, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Alright, Illusion of Gaia!

And by ddegenha? Oh, be still, my beating heart.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
You're doing this. I didn't think you would listen to my request for this lp.

I'm so happy that you're doing this.

Time to :getin:

Also, I have a good guess where Metatron is fitting into this lp.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now I get to see if this game lives up to my rosy-tinted memories of it. I bet it doesn't, the translation looks mighty janky.

I wore the shirt drat near every day I could when I was a kid :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I really like the Japanese Box Art for pretty much the reason you stated.

I rented and played this game to pieces in my younger years. It's got a lot of charm in it and there are some funky things going on behind the scenes of the plot which makes the whole game interesting.

Also love that Gaia/Yahweh/GodJesus goes through phases in these games :allears:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This looks interesting! Bookmarked and followed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ddegenha posted:

As for that coastline.. well, if anybody recognizes it, I’d be interested to hear.

I'm pretty sure that it's intentionally not recognizable.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know what real life town this place is supposed to reference, I don't know if there's any way to deduct it if you don't know already. Anyway, compare that to the number of black people in this town...

ddegenha, of course I'm gonna follow this LP. Great game, and your interpretation of the story is already interesting. The real thing was a lot less clear at this stage about how Will's parents are gone. I didn't even notice before that literally everyone else is talking about their parents.

But three errors in the first two posts? I've come to expect better of you. :colbert:

ddegenha posted:

The images here represent Egypt and Easter Island, the former of which wasn’t even discovered by Europeans until 1722.
I think you want to switch 'Egypt' and 'Easter Island' around here. Easter Island is the first image, and it's the one that was discovered last, as far as I know.

This link does not work. This has to do with the fact that the URL ends with an unusual "quote" sign. Unusual in that it's not the standard character, it's some unicode character variant. That's true for all your quote and apostrophe signs in this thread, but this is the only time it causes trouble.

ddegenha posted:

“My name is Will. A year has passed since I went to the Tower of Babel with my father. My after and his party met with disaster. Somehow I made it back to South Cape…but I still can’t believe my father is gone. I’ll never believe it. When I grow up, I’ll be an explorer and see the world. Somewhere, I will meet my father…”
No explanation needed.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ddegenha posted:

Stonehenge is a thing, but that kind of looks like the Mirage Tower from Final Fantasy.
Looks like it's supposed to be this minaret.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
This game is so special. It tells its story in this really compelling way, like everything is happening outside of time. Its themes are actually really poignant and deep, but it focuses so much on characters and personal moments, even for characters we see once, that everything is grounded in the human experience. This makes it so much more creepy, touching, exciting, and mysterious than it would have been otherwise.

The gameplay is good enough, but I kind of wish it were smoother so I could enjoy replaying this game more. I want a fourth game in its lineage more than anything.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

George posted:

This game is so special. It tells its story in this really compelling way, like everything is happening outside of time. Its themes are actually really poignant and deep, but it focuses so much on characters and personal moments, even for characters we see once, that everything is grounded in the human experience. This makes it so much more creepy, touching, exciting, and mysterious than it would have been otherwise.

The gameplay is good enough, but I kind of wish it were smoother so I could enjoy replaying this game more. I want a fourth game in its lineage more than anything.

The Granstream Saga is sort of the unofficial fourth game in the set, being made by essentially all the same people, after Quintet became Shade. It handles some of the same sort of themes, but unfortunately has not aged very well at all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Granstream Saga is sort of the unofficial fourth game in the set, being made by essentially all the same people, after Quintet became Shade. It handles some of the same sort of themes, but unfortunately has not aged very well at all.

Never heard of it. GISed the name. First thing I learned is that that game has an anime shower scene.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I heard that this was less true than we had been led to believe.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

George posted:

I want a fourth game in its lineage more than anything.

Oh man, you and me both! This trilogy has a very warm place in my heart. Terranigma is by far my favourite game ever and I've always wanted to do a comprehensive LP of it. Any day now...

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I know what real life town this place is supposed to reference, I don't know if there's any way to deduct it if you don't know already. Anyway, compare that to the number of black people in this town...

ddegenha, of course I'm gonna follow this LP. Great game, and your interpretation of the story is already interesting. The real thing was a lot less clear at this stage about how Will's parents are gone. I didn't even notice before that literally everyone else is talking about their parents.

But three errors in the first two posts? I've come to expect better of you. :colbert:

Ouch! But correct, and I went back and fixed two of the three. I didn't worry about the order of Egypt and Easter Island intentionally since the two are pretty recognizable, just as long as the reference to 1722 was correctly pointing at the first image.... which, actually isn't very clear since I refer to the former of the images. Hmm.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

ddegenha posted:

Start a Journey

I love the fact that the new game option is starting a journey while the save function is a trip diary. As for that coastline.. well, if anybody recognizes it, I’d be interested to hear. Next up: We begin our journey.

I didn't when I first started the game, but it became obvious once the first travelling section happened. It's definitely something you can notice the first time you play the game, since the map is conveniently labeled.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Goddamn, I love this game, and Terranigma too. They're such strange stories; rollicking adventures with an underlying sadness. There aren't any RPGs quite like them. Looking forward to the LP.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

And here comes ddegenha, droppin' the nostalgia bomb again.

This game is another one of those treasures from the SNES days that tends get eclipsed by the heavyweight RPGs everyone remembers like FF6 and Earthbound. Objectively speaking it's good but perhaps not great, but has a ton of charm, heart and soul.

Also I give it all credit for the fact that I completely aced my history class in 6th grade because it sparked awareness that quickly became fascination with ancient cultures.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Aw yeah, Illusion of Gaia, and LP'd by ddegenha no less. :allears:

Unlike the other entries in this trilogy, which I shamelessly emulated in college only got to experience vicariously through the noble art of LPs, I actually owned and played this one myself as a kid.

gently caress some of those red jewels though. Especially the third one in this very town.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I won't lie, this is the only one of the three "soul blazer trilogy" games I owned (my fiancée lost my copy and has yet to replace it) but it's always one I mention when people talk about classic SNES games. It's interesting how the RPG mechanics are very out of place next to Soul Blazer and Terranigma's leveling system. I will admit I'm interested in seeing how he ties in his Actraiser and Soul Blazer stories into this one.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vil posted:

Aw yeah, Illusion of Gaia, and LP'd by ddegenha no less. :allears:

Unlike the other entries in this trilogy, which I shamelessly emulated in college only got to experience vicariously through the noble art of LPs, I actually owned and played this one myself as a kid.

gently caress some of those red jewels though. Especially the third one in this very town.

That Red Jewel is probably one of or the hardest jewel in the game to get. It's the only one bound by RNG as far as I can remember.

This game follows a lot of Soul Blazer's design philosophies but the changes to leveling sort of complete what Soul Blazer was trying to go for.
Bosses are supposed to be challenges you overcome! :black101:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Someone really loves Robin Hood: Men In Tights. Your Soul Blazer LP had the Sheriff of Rottingham as the main character then.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Speaking of the wind in our Will's hair, can we get some GIFs of the animations in this game at points? The small movements really make this game look special sometimes.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Glad to see you following up Soulblazer with this ddegenha, I'm looking forward to it.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update The Second: In Which Will Picks a Card, any Card.

Before we head to that cave, there’s actually a wooden bridge from a street onto a roof. It’s a weird little architectural detail.

“Are you talking about the one who looks like a pirate, or the one who won’t sell weapons to children in a world that’s crawling with demons? I’m having a hard time picking out which one is weirder.”

“Sorry to hear that. You might want to have a doctor check that out.”

This place doesn’t exactly scream safety, but it’s not like anybody’s paying attention to a bunch of kid’s secret club house.

“Usually, when lessons were done at the school they gathered there to talk and play games until sundown.”

“I’m playing cards with Seth. Wait a minute.”

“Ah ha ha, I’m going to win again for sure.”

“Can I play next? You guys never play cards with me.”

“Well, yeah, but you know why that…”

“The Princess of Edward Castle has run away! They say she came to South Cape.”

“That’s it? You came in such a hurry that I through something really big had happened!”

“LIAR! Maybe the soldiers will come here looking for her!”

“Is he a liar about you liking Kara, her being the princess, or the princess running away?”

“I.. I… the soldiers from Edward Castle look so cool. I want a steel helmet, too.”

“Yes, you should probably have helmet.”

“There’s a reason we tease you so much, you know.”

“Will, get over here and sit next to Erik.”

“I want to see Will’s mysterious power. He can move things without touching them.”

“Will, show me again.”

“Seriously? Why can’t we do anything else these days?”

This is our tutorial in one of Will’s basic moves. By spinning his flute he can use telekinesis to move certain objects toward or away from him. It’s as simple as pressing L or R when facing an object, making it pretty much identical to Metatron’s telekinesis in SoulBlazer.

“But why can you move the statue when you can’t move anything else…?”

“What part of mysterious power made you think that it’d be easy to figure out?”

“It’s the second one from the left.”

“Dammit Will, can you at least let me finish laying down all four cards first?”

“Hey Seth. This is some type of psychic power, right? Will, how do you always know which card to pick?”

“Beats me. How do you guys NOT know which card to pick? I swear, you guys can’t even get it right one time out of four.”

“Yeah, it must be some kind of psychic power thing. If I didn’t know better I’d think it was magic.”

“Except that you don’t know be…argh! If you guys weren’t the only three around my age..”

“Most people have five senses… I think Will’s psychic power is some kind of sixth sense.”

As a note, there’s actually some lovely gameplay and story integration in this game. Any time there’s a multiple choice situation like picking the right card, it doesn’t matter what you pick. Because of Will’s power whichever choice you make will be the right one. Keep this in mind for later events.

“You guys keep doing what you do. I think it sounds like dinner time.”

Now that we’ve shown off our skills, it’s time to head home. There’s a chance of something showing up now as we leave the cave, but it’s not here… we’ll talk more about it later.

“What. The. Actual. gently caress.”

“Oink oink.”

“Wait, who the hell are you? And… did you just call that pig Hamlet?”

“Is this your house?”

“Well… yeah, but seriously, who are you?”

“Well, excuse me…!!”

“Your father? Mother? Not here, huh?”

“Lady, you are about one more word from getting yourself and your pig literally thrown out of my house.”

“Is this a picture of your parents?”

“I know. Olman, the explorer. They say he was lost.”

“He’ll come back some day. He’s just… really bad about asking for directions.”

“Are you sad? …No? I’d be sad if it were me. I’m sorry…”

“At this point it’s kind of his own drat fault. I’m more mad than sad.”

“That’s kind of random. No, there isn’t! But Grandma Lola is a great singer.”

“They’re singing upstairs now. They have such loud voices!!”

“That’s probably why they didn’t hear your stupid pig destroying the place. So I’m going to go upstairs and explain things to them, and when we come back downstairs you’d better be gone.”

“Dinner’s not ready yet.”

“Umm… about that…”

“Ah ha ha. Oh, you!! Bringing up a thing like that!”

“Do you guys want me to go downstairs? Because I can do that.”

“Will, you shouldn’t be surprised to hear that. The girl who was singing with me a minute ago…”

“Well, that doesn’t sound good.”

“What are you saying? If I don’t take you home, I’ll lose my head!”

“What do I care if you lose your head?”

“Wow, that’s cold.”

“Princess! Do you think I have nothing better to do than chase you down? I must take you home. It’s the king’s orders!”

“Oh my Gaia… if I ever tell Erik about this, he’ll never shut up about it.”

“Will, I feel as though we’ve met before, as if were good friends.”

“That’s… nice. Good luck with that whole princess thing.”

“Okay Princess, come along!”

“So, that girl likes to play practical jokes. Heh heh heh.”

“We’re just going to pretend that we didn’t see a teenage girl get kidnapped by the place guard? I guess I can do that…”

“Trust me, Will, it goes a LOT better if you pretend you didn’t see anything.”

“Edward Castle… there’s a big viaduct under the castle. Your grandfather designed it.”

“What! Really? That’s incredibly helpful, considering that… ohh. Oh.”

“I can see how that worked out for you.”

“There’s a prison under the castle. It’s built like a maze to keep the prisoners from escaping.”

“Grandpa, the more I listen the worse your past is sounding.”

“I do feel bad that I built a prison where people disappear and are never heard from again. But what can you do?”

“I’ve made a delicious pie. Let’s sit at the table upstairs.”

“That sounded like a great idea, since I hadn’t told them about the pig. I blamed it on the soldiers. We sat down a feast of snail pie with whipped cream! Grandma Lola’s cooking… takes some getting used to.”

“I had more snail pie for breakfast. I left you a slice.”

“That’s… really thoughtful of you Grandpa.”

“Good morning, Will. A letter has come for you from King Edward. It says to bring the crystal ring from Olman’s things to Edward Castle.”

“The crystal what? I’m thinking I missed that in dad’s things.”

“I’ve been in a bad mood ever since I saw this letter.”

Lola's Melody

“Thanks Grandma. I’m going to go see if I can get my friends to help me.”

“…so much for that.”

And with that, we’ve got nothing left to do but head over to Edward’s castle. This game starts off slow, but it’ll pay off in the end. There’s actually a lot of information being packed into these sections. Next update: That’s not how you do a royal audience.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I love this game. It was said earlier, but it has this weird melancholy tone that I can't even explain. Like a Happy Fun RPG built over a graveyard.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

DeathChicken posted:

I love this game. It was said earlier, but it has this weird melancholy tone that I can't even explain. Like a Happy Fun RPG built over a graveyard.

That's....actually a really good description of this game.

Well done. :golfclap:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Heh, with those face pictures you've chosen, Will looks way older than his friends.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

HR12345 posted:

Someone really loves Robin Hood: Men In Tights. Your Soul Blazer LP had the Sheriff of Rottingham as the main character then.

I'd say that's a good bet, considering the main character of this game is using Will 'Scarlett' O'hara from the same movie.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

immoral_ posted:

I'd say that's a good bet, considering the main character of this game is using Will 'Scarlett' O'hara from the same movie.

Mel Brooks is a treasure of comedy, but it's actually a bit of a coincidence. I used the Sheriff of Rottingham because our character in SoulBlazer was going to be named Metatron. Metatron was played by Alan Rickman in Dogma, who played the Sherriff of Nottingham in Prince of Thieves, but was a bit too serious of a character so I went with the sheriff from Men in Tights. In this case it's just a matter of when I thought of people named Will who might work for a picture the first thing that popped up was Will Scarlett O'hara. Hmm... I wonder if I could use anybody from Young Frankenstein at some point...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Heh, with those face pictures you've chosen, Will looks way older than his friends.

Yeah, it seems as though Lance/Ron are closest in age to him, but my thought was that the scruffiness works with a young man who wants to be an adult. Especially in the time period this seems to be set in trying to grow a beard as soon as you could so you'd seem more like an adult seemed appropriate.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ddegenha posted:

Mel Brooks is a treasure of comedy, but it's actually a bit of a coincidence. I used the Sheriff of Rottingham because our character in SoulBlazer was going to be named Metatron. Metatron was played by Alan Rickman in Dogma, who played the Sherriff of Nottingham in Prince of Thieves, but was a bit too serious of a character so I went with the sheriff from Men in Tights. In this case it's just a matter of when I thought of people named Will who might work for a picture the first thing that popped up was Will Scarlett O'hara. Hmm... I wonder if I could use anybody from Young Frankenstein at some point...

Oh, there's a certain hunchback just begging to be used, I'm sure.

I never got very far in this game (only about the first dungeon's boss), so I'm really looking forward to this run. I'm curious about what actually happens later.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

megane posted:

Looks like it's supposed to be this minaret.

I thought they were going for a traffic cone.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, there's a certain hunchback just begging to be used, I'm sure.

I never got very far in this game (only about the first dungeon's boss), so I'm really looking forward to this run. I'm curious about what actually happens later.

Amazing things happen. Always amazing things.

This game's music and atmosphere are so great. People seem to rank this low on the Blazer trilogy, but it's the only one I ever played and I've loved it since I was a child. I'd always get stuck waaaay later, in a certain cave, but I eventually managed to beat the game and was glad I did.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I can see why, this game has a lot of 'GUIDE Dang It!' moments when you're progressing through it. The Jewels are excusable since they're optional but there are some puzzles and areas I got stuck on with no/bad hints on what to do.

Compared to Actraiser, which was simple in what you had to do (simple but hard) and Soul Blazer, where the only parts that were kind of tricky were the mandatory backtracking bits (I always forget where one Red-Hot Item is.) Everything can be beaten with perseverance.

Not so here! Freaking Mu :argh:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 28, 2015

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Oh, this game. Really one of the best action RPGs on the SNES. Great visuals, great soundtrack, great story with lots of ADVENTURE! I'm glad to vicariously relive it through this LP. Terrific game, totally.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
This was my favorite game on the SNES, and I played through it at least 10 times growing up. The pacing of the combat, which was less twitch based and more thoughtful than most action games of the time (Actraiser, for instance), and the melancholy tone of the narrative, combined with my geeky love of ancient history really solidified this game as one of the best I have ever played. This game is very much one that you get out of it what you put in. On the surface it can be a very light, casual action RPG, but if you invest yourself in the lore and story, it can have a deep emotional impact.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

EponymousMrYar posted:

I can see why, this game has a lot of 'GUIDE Dang It!' moments when you're progressing through it. The Jewels are excusable since they're optional but there are some puzzles and areas I got stuck on with no/bad hints on what to do.

Compared to Actraiser, which was simple in what you had to do (simple but hard) and Soul Blazer, where the only parts that were kind of tricky were the mandatory backtracking bits (I always forget where one Red-Hot Item is.) Everything can be beaten with perseverance.

The place right after the spoiler took me three years to figure out as a child. I think I just kept restarting the game and hoping I'd figure out the trick each time, so I've played the beginning of this game probably five times and the last half of it maybe once.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

DeathChicken posted:

Following you in part, but where's the Happy Fun part?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fitting you use that phrase, since the game came with a guide that told you exactly where every Red Jewel was.

Also, that spoilered place is where my grandmother quit this game and never played again. She didn't figure out how to fight the vampires as Freedan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Smarms posted:

This was my favorite game on the SNES, and I played through it at least 10 times growing up. The pacing of the combat, which was less twitch based and more thoughtful than most action games of the time (Actraiser, for instance), and the melancholy tone of the narrative, combined with my geeky love of ancient history really solidified this game as one of the best I have ever played. This game is very much one that you get out of it what you put in. On the surface it can be a very light, casual action RPG, but if you invest yourself in the lore and story, it can have a deep emotional impact.

This is a pretty depressing game, I haven't played it since I was a kid either and I still recall some of the more down parts of the story.

• Locked thread