Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I actually don't think Racist Truck is that bad of an episode. Out of the first five seasons the only one I really hated was "Swap Meet" where Sam got his mind switched with some dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Swap Meat is super bad but it at least sorta ties into the bigger story. I think that's why Racist Truck stands out. Most of the bad episodes that follow either tie into the overall story or have a sense of humor about themselves. Some people hated Dog Dean Afternoon but at least it was just Supernatural trying to have a laugh and just not working the way they hoped. But Racist Truck is just all on its own, this really terrible story that is really out of tone with the show and takes itself 1000% seriously and never, ever, ever affects them again.

I mean, the worst episode is probably that terrible backdoor pilot. But Racist Truck has seniority.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Swap Meat is super bad but it at least sorta ties into the bigger story. I think that's why Racist Truck stands out. Most of the bad episodes that follow either tie into the overall story or have a sense of humor about themselves. But Racist Truck is just all on its own, this really terrible story that is really out of tone with the show and never, ever, ever affects them again.

I mean, the worst episode is probably that terrible backdoor pilot. But Racist Truck has seniority.

Supernatural: The Vampire Diaries: Chicago Monster Mob was bad for entirely different reasons. After 8 years of killing literally every monster they come across, Sam and Dean go "welp that's just how they do things here" and take off without killing every monster in the city. It was a really bad attempt to make sexy dangerous teens spin-off of Supernatural but no one watching Supernatural wanted that kind of show, and it ignored everything Supernatural had established up to that point.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wasn't it more like "we'd kill all these guys but something something Metatron sorry gotta go!" Whatever, that episode was poo poo.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Decided I'm gonna use blizzard-time to give Supernatural a chance. I watched the pilot and it was surprisingly decent.

A couple friends of mine have told me the first season is a little iffy, but it gets pretty reliably good by season 2. Is that pretty accurate? And, if so, what are the key season 1 episodes to watch so I won't be lost if I jump right into season 2?

Season 1 doesn't really seem to know where it wants to go aside from SEARCHIN FOR DAD so it's a little rough, but yes, once it gets to season 2 it continually gets better through the end of the story arc in season 5. Then it pretty much craters immediately.

STAC Goat posted:

At this stage "Racist Truck" is kind of a must watch. Not only is it unanimously considered the worst episode so you always have that to assure you things never get that bad again, but at some point they just start referencing the thing and making fun of it in the show itself. If you skip Racist Truck then you miss the joy of laughing at it down the line.

Weirdly, in the season 10 behind the scenes special they only mentioned Bugs and Wendigo (which I didn't think was terrible) as the episodes they hated the most, even though they even make a callback to Route 666 later on in the series by referring to it as "the racist truck." Maybe they were so embarrassed that they didn't even want to acknowledge its existence.

STAC Goat posted:

That backdoor pilot really loving sucked though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 27, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its just easier to accept that Blood Lines isn't an episode of Supernatural. Its a failed CW pilot that Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles randomly wandered on set for and decided to play different characters who just happened to be named Sam and Dean.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sober posted:

One of these days people are gonna figure out if it was shot in 4:3, it should stay in 4:3, the gaping black bars on the side of the screen be damned.

Twenty years ago we were fighting with people over not chopping widescreen stuff down to 4:3. Now my eye twitches when I go over to a relative's place and they're watching some 4:3 program zoomed in and blurry on their 16:9 television...

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Do they ever address how they get money to fund all these wacky adventures

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Identity theft. Like, tons of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Somewhere in the first episode I think they mention getting money through pool hustling and credit card fraud. They at least mention it a few times when they get arrested.
After a few seasons I think the answer just becomes "shut up and roll with it."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

Identity theft. Like, tons of it.

Well, more credit card fraud with supplemental gambling through pool hustling and card games.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the gambling and credit card fraud are pretty consistently mentioned themes to explain how they live. It even comes into play in a few episodes the way you'd expect it to.

And you know... roll with it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Their fake ID's never ever cease to be funny either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eventually it just becomes funny that no one ever notices.

Until one day when someone does and it completely shocks you and them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Kristen Stewart strikes me as the kind of gal it'd be cool to get high with and bang on the cas.
Could be a Katy Perry-type situation though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Somewhere in the first episode I think they mention getting money through pool hustling and credit card fraud. They at least mention it a few times when they get arrested.
After a few seasons I think the answer just becomes "shut up and roll with it."

You meet a tech genius later on who works with tons of hunters getting them cards, identities etc.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Josh Lyman posted:

Could be a Katy Perry-type situation though.

Where she's hot and then cold? A firework? She kissed a girl and then liked it?

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
I sit and watch tv

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Are you an englishman

The Queen's on my money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That is not the queen, that is just two birds.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Kristen Stewart is an attractive young woman who doesn't really know how to make more than one facial expression.

From the Supernatural I've seen (my wife is binging it now) it does seem to come together a bit more once the fourth and fifth seasons roll around - it kind of reminds me of Fringe, where the amber bus eventually turns out to be a huge plot point in the alternate universe. I caught one episode with a crazy zombie virus (think 28 Days Later) and a season or two later it's the main way the apocalypse comes around.

It's a WB/CW show through and through, but folks are right about it having a pretty good sense of humor about itself. I like it, but not really enough to sit down and watch every episode. Most episodes I catch are pretty decent.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Supernatural also manages to be one of the most violent shows on TV too. It's surprising how much they get away with sometimes.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I actually don't think Racist Truck is that bad of an episode. Out of the first five seasons the only one I really hated was "Swap Meet" where Sam got his mind switched with some dork.

The Racist Truck is a bit after school special "Racism is bad." It doesn't help that while it is supposed to be set in the Deep South, all the supporting actors are very obviously Canadian as gently caress, eh. Which kind of diminishes the effectiveness of the storytelling.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

DrVenkman posted:

Supernatural also manages to be one of the most violent shows on TV too. It's surprising how much they get away with sometimes.

Maybe most violent show on the CW, but it's not even on the radar when there are shows like Hannibal, American Horror Story, and Spartacus all over the place. Just to name a few shows, from network, basic, and premium channels.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bones has the grossest dead bodies on TV

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Maybe most violent show on the CW, but it's not even on the radar when there are shows like Hannibal, American Horror Story, and Spartacus all over the place. Just to name a few shows, from network, basic, and premium channels.

Yeah, seriously. Saying Supernatural is the grossest show on television is like saying anime has the most sophisticated storytelling. In both cases, you desperately need to watch something that isn't made for children/teenagers so you can see how just how wrong you are.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Banshee this week was a masterclass on TV brutality.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sober posted:

One of these days people are gonna figure out if it was shot in 4:3, it should stay in 4:3, the gaping black bars on the side of the screen be damned.

I like the black bars.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching season 1 of the X-Files, and the 4:3 ratio is killing my buzz.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about the first season of Supernatural is how often they gave Sam and Dean (mostly Dean) one episode love interests.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Considering the lack of regular female characters, they probably felt they had to do something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When they did add a regular female character the fans wanted her dead.

thrakkorzog posted:

The Racist Truck is a bit after school special "Racism is bad." It doesn't help that while it is supposed to be set in the Deep South, all the supporting actors are very obviously Canadian as gently caress, eh. Which kind of diminishes the effectiveness of the storytelling.

It's okay, BC is right up there with the South sometimes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

I'd say my favorite motw episodes are

- the mysterious ghost serial killer It's H.H Holmes
- the one where a boy's stuffed animal comes to life and begs for death The boy is nephilem, has god-like powers and is confused
- Kronos the god of time
- Anything with Ghostchasers
- Where Dean meets an old flame, sees a kid that might be his and freaks out the entire episode
- Any episode with Rufus ("No, I'm pretty sure its 7 times, not 9")
- The locked down town that's a cult (Castiel gets crazy drunk)

What eps are these (at least the ones past season 5). I quit around then, and I'd like to see the odd MotW/funny episode that's worth watching after that, if there are any.

EDIT: About the early season, probably the thing that's most lacking is that they never did enough with the dad. The actor is so great.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 27, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

When they did add a regular female character the fans wanted her dead.

wasn't there one female character who received no such scorn, all because she was a lesbian and thus no threat to the fans' impregnation fanfics about Sam/Dean?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

wasn't there one female character who received no such scorn, all because she was a lesbian and thus no threat to the fans' impregnation fanfics about Sam/Dean?

Sort of. A lot of people still dislike her but it's because she is annoying as hell, but she's popular enough to have come back like 4 times.

Also some people dislike her just because it's Felicia Day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's important to note from time to time that Supernatural superfans literally believe that Jared and Jensen are secret gay lovers irl, their wives are beards and Jensen's wife was once ejected from a con because a superfan lied to security and told them that his wife was actually a dangerous stalker.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

zoux posted:

It's important to note from time to time that Supernatural superfans literally believe that Jared and Jensen are secret gay lovers irl, their wives are beards and Jensen's wife was once ejected from a con because a superfan lied to security and told them that his wife was actually a dangerous stalker.

I realize actors need work, but why are these two still doing a show with Superfans like this?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

I realize actors need work, but why are these two still doing a show with Superfans like this?

They're making steady paychecks and more or less got their start with the CW/WB, haven't cracked the cultural awareness enough to get major movie roles, and their wives probably got used to it.

By now they've learned its just a factor of being a big time C-list celebrity with a extremely obsessed female fanbase and don't attend cons or panels with their husbands.

Ackles has done some VA work, but since 2005 has done nothing else and prior to that he was guest starring on WB/CW shows.

Same with Padalecki, he was on Gilmore Girls, then straight to Supernatural, and his biggest outside role was the lead in the Friday the 13th reboot which was a minor hit but nothing outstanding, and a few other small horror movies.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I should've added on Network television to that. And while Hannibal largely exceeds it now (Though I'd argue a lot of violence there is the aftermath - save Verger and his meal time) I can't think of a network show that matches it for the red stuff.

Though there was a weird time where Millennium was the most violent thing on TV. I'm not sure why Chris Carter got so brutal, but that first season is not a happy time.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DrVenkman posted:

Maybe not violent in terms of “blood everywhere” like The Walking Dead, but the scene from the episode The Kids Are Alright with the table saw is still one of the more memorable scenes of violence I’ve ever watched on network or cable TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

sbaldrick posted:

It's a genuine career role. It probably also helps that they, apparently, became incredibly good friends. Who wouldn't stay with a job paying TV lead actor money if you got to hang out with you close friends all day and make fun of you fans on-screen? Padalecki even met his wife on the programme... to me it seems like the definition of a dream job.

• Locked thread